Falling for a Superhero

By VersionTwoPointOh

Angela Warden and her family just moved to the grand city of Manhattan, NY from the small town of Frankford... More

Chapter One- "A Hero"
Chapter Two- "Man in the Water"
Chapter Three- "A Target on Our Backs...and My Phone"
Chapter Four-"iYelled"
Chapter Five-"Fair Game and Free Phone"
Chapter Seven-"Varsity Jerk"
Chapter Eight-"One-Sided Relationships and Two-Sided Silent Treatments"
Chapter Nine-"Okay with Lunch"
Chapter Ten-"I Pledge Allegiance to...Anyone but The Proliator"
Chapter Eleven-"The Proliator's Touch...or Eleven Stitches"
Chapter Twelve-"Tresspassing Superhero"
Chapter Thirteen-"In The Way"
Chapter Fourteen-"You're Different"
Chapter Fifteen-"The Lion and the Zebra"
Chapter Sixteen-"He Doesn't Want You"
Chapter Seventeen-"Just trust me." He says.
Chapter Eighteen-"Come back."
Chapter Nineteen-"Pushed Away is Better Than Nothing"
Chapter Twenty-"Tradition"
Chapter TwentyOne-"It Worked."
Chapter TwentyTwo-"The Real Mickie"
Chapter TwentyThree-"Not For Your Own Good, but For Mine"
Chapter TwentyFour-"Well Jaime Looks Well..."
Chapter TwentyFive-"It's All Settled Then"
Chapter TwentySix-Resemblance
Chapter TwentySeven- "It's Not a Game"
Chapter TwentyEight-"A Date?"
Chapter TwentyNine-"Mateo Vega"
Chapter Thirty-"Listen to My Enemy?"
Chapter ThirtyOne-"I Think I Need the Counselor's Pass"
Chapter ThirtyTwo-"Stay Away"
Chapter ThirtyThree-"He 'Knows' About Feelings"
Chapter ThirtyFour-"Shady Chad"
Chapter ThirtyFive-"My Date With a Superhero"
Chapter ThirtySix-"Hayden's Family"
Chapter ThirtySeven-"Trouble in Paradise"
Chapter ThirtyEight-"I Told You I Had Perfect Timing"
Chapter ThirtyNine-"Mean With Ice Cream"
Chapter Forty-"One Hundred Dances and One TV Broadcast"
Chapter FortyOne-"Retirement and Recognition"
Chapter FortyTwo-"Take It Off"
Chapter FortyThree-"The Retirement Retaliation."
Chapter FortyFour-"The Rebound."
Chapter FortyFive-"A Clear Response."
Chapter FortySix-"The True Origin Story of the Proliator"
Chapter FortySeven-"My Life Will Be Heck"
Chapter FortyEight-"Safe"

Chapter Six-"Hayden the Heartthrob"

8.3K 251 36
By VersionTwoPointOh

"Hayden Marshal?" Cheyenne asked for clarification. I nodded. "I'm gonna have to say, that's pretty out of the ordinary."

"What's out of the ordinary?" Nik suddenly asked, appearing at the pep rally with us on Friday morning.

"Hayden walked me home yesterday," I informed. Nik's jaw tightened.

"Why?"

"I don't know? He wanted to give me a ride, but neither I, nor Dastan wanted that, so it somehow compromised into a walk—"

"Wait, Vega was there?"

"He waited up for Mickie after detention..."

"Why would he do that?" Nik frowned.

"Well aren't they going out?" I asked.

"It makes sense," Cheyenne commented.

"Mickie and Vega have never gone out," Nik scoffed pathetically. That made absolutely no sense. They were all over each other—wait. But now that I think about it, she was always over him. I hadn't ever seen them kiss or hug...she just played at his belt loops and subjected herself to his orders. So then her bullying me with him enhancing it, made no sense.

"Warden!" I heard my name being called. I looked down to see Dastan on the foot of the bleachers with a camera in hand.

"I guess I'll see you later, guys," I told Nik and Cheyenne.

"Have fun..." Cheyenne wished.

Yeah right.

"You wanted to do something for this article, right?" Dastan asked.

"Yeah..."

"Then get off your godd4mn ass and stop talking to Nik the Dick so we can get this shit done and over with," he snapped, handing me the camera. I stared at him, completely fearing him all because no man had ever spoken to me that way. He stepped away from me and I let go of the breath I had held.

In Frankford, I had never been afraid of anything—not anyone, but since I've been here, Dastan was the only guy that I've ever managed to fear.

After the initial shock and terror of him cussing demands at me, I started to take pictures of the pep rally: cheerleaders and dancers forgetting sequences, freshmen pep squad members screaming their heads off, band members clearly switching instruments, and then I looked through the lens and landed on a familiar face smiling at me--Hayden.

He sat in the front row of the varsity football players in his red and gold uniform and I had to do a double-take before realizing he was truly looking at me. When I realized it, I took a picture of him, but he still looked at me briefly before hitting me with a funny face. I slightly giggled and returned the face, only for him to stick out his tongue long enough for me to snap a picture of that and then he unexpectedly got up from his chair and sprinted over to me in order to throw me over his shoulder.

"Hayden!" I laughed, bouncing as he ran out of the gym and towards the stadium. He sat me down and my face was probably as red as tomatoes. When he set me down, I hadn't noticed that the camera was no longer in my hand, but being held three feet above my head. Then I got serious. "That's Dastan's camera."

"So what?"

"He's going to kill me," I reasoned.

"Blame it on me and he won't," he shrugged, the smile remaining on his attractive face. I realized that my body was pressed to his, still, so I pulled away and looked around with crossed arms. Hayden retracted the camera and pulled me close to him with his free hand. "Aren't you supposed to be writing an article on social life?"

"Which requires me to be in there taking pictures of the pep rally," I nodded.

"Why?"

"Because Dastan told me to," I answered.

"Well Vega's an ass that doesn't know what the hell he's doing," Hayden responded, making me crack a smile. Hayden's face started to simmer from the smile. "Social life isn't just about some get-together that no one wants to attend."

"It's in honor of your football team," I reminded.

"Trust me, most of us don't want to sit through our girlfriends shaking their asses in revealing clothing and listen to the fight song and alma mater a million times," he laughed.

"Then what exactly do you think the article should be about?" I asked him, realizing our faces were inches apart, unlike our bodies that were pressed together.

"Well what about a social experiment?" he asked.

"Like?"

He took a deep breath and I did the same. What was he up to?

"Like the reaction to when the rude, popular jock goes out with the beautiful and nice, new southern Belle," he smiled. Everything in me froze except for the heat in my face.

He glanced from my eyes to my lips like when he started walking home. I couldn't deny that I was feeling attracted to Hayden, but there was always Kenneth. I couldn't do that to him.

"Or not," I whispered. He winced and then created space between us. He dropped his arm from my waist and placed the camera strap over my head. He leaned down to place his lips by my ear.

"I think that Kenneth is a lucky guy. It's not common for girls to be so loyal when someone's that far away..." he said, his closeness only making me feel further away from Kenneth. Then he stepped back with a cute smirk. "Don't take any crap at this school, Angela."

"Including from the boys?" I teased. He laughed once as he continued to back up.

"Especially from us boys," he winked before turning to leave.

***

"OH MY GOD, YOU'RE ALIVE!" Cheyenne cheered, embracing me in second period.

"Well yeah..." I trailed.

"I saw Hayden carry you off—well everyone did—and only he came back with a suspicious grin on his face and I THOUGHT HE KILLED YOU!" Cheyenne yelled, gaining the attention of others in the class.

"No. He was just trying to have some fun," I giggled. She stared blankly at me.

"Hayden Marshal does not have fun."

"What are you talking about? Everyone has—"

I was interrupted when Dastan walked between us and basically yanked the camera from my neck.

"Don't you dare think about ever pulling that again, Warden," he scolded.

"It wasn't her fault. I mean, Hayden was the one..."

Cheyenne stopped talking when Dastan's onyx eyes snapped over to her.

"Dastan, can I ask you a question real quick?" I inquired.

"No." I rolled my eyes.

"What the heck has your boxers in a knot?"

He growled and still stared straight at me. He started walking away from me and I followed him to the computer. He opened up the internet and then typed in some URL as I laughed at his fury. What would make this situation better?

Making him even madder.

"Look. I know I was supposed to take pictures at the pep rally—"

"Obviously," he commented.

"—but I think Hayden has an even better plan for the social status of high school...why are you looking at me like that?" I said. He looked at me with dark, dull eyes and then waited for my silence.

"You're so dumb" he insulted. I scoffed. No one had ever told me that before. "All Hayden wants is to get in your pants."

Once again, I scoffed.

"That's a load of—"

"Bullshit?" he finished. I narrowed my eyes at him even though he wasn't looking my direction, instead at the computer screen at what was a social network of some sort. "You wanna know what the trending topic on our school's social site is?"

"Not particularly, but I have a feeling you're gonna tell me—"

"Heartthrob Quarterback Steals Away New-Student, Southern Belle," he read. Shoot. I tried to form words to say, but I failed. Dastan turned to face me with a pissed off expression...or maybe even just his normal expression considering that's how he normally looked at me. "What? No 'aw, that's so sweet' or 'wow, people really pay attention to me here'?"

"I have a boyfriend," I reminded. "This is not okay. Nothing is going on between me and Hayden; and I really doubt he's such a heartthrob here."

"Why's that?" he asked, but I didn't know what he meant. I automatically assumed he was talking about Hayden being a heartthrob because if it was any of the other reasons, he surely would've interrupted me.

"Because he's such a jerk to everyone and not a person that girls want to associate themselves with, let alone leave themselves to any kind of heartbreak—unexpected or not," I reasoned.

"So that's why you're so attracted to him," he pinned. I blinked. Was he serious?

"I am not attracted to Hayden," I lied. Suddenly, Dastan stood up and neared me immediately, making my breath stop.

"Then what the hell is the difference between me and him?" he hissed.

"I...I don't know," I stammered.

"You do know!" he hissed. I realized that people were now watching us and so did he. That's why he looked around for one second and then glared back at me, not at all nervous of the bystanders. Well, at least this gives me hope that he won't hurt me. "You naive little girl—"

"Mr. Vega!" Mrs. Hayes warned. He immediately looked over to her with sweet eyes feigning innocence.

"I'm sorry for disturbing your class," he muttered with absolutely no hatred that he so clearly proved to the student body. "I'll take it to my responsibility to leave now."

With that, he did what he said by grabbing his bag and leaving. I turned to face everyone in the class and they all snapped their heads away from me, besides two people: Cheyenne and Mickie. Cheyenne sent me apologetic eyes while Mickie wanted to rip my throat out from across the room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

303 26 10
Naomi is a sophomore in high school and is trying to figure out life as a teenager. What will happen when her and her friends go on a field trip that...
141K 3.6K 22
What happens when you take the city girl and move her to the country? That's currently the situation that Elizabeth or Liz for short is facing. Her d...
1K 48 20
Mekare Miralles, not only the most awkward and unlucky teen out there, has managed to land herself in her aunt's for the last semester of her school...
5.1K 257 38
I'm not like the other girls. I used to be just a girl who just worried about friends and school. But now all I do is read about fantasy and romance...