Mafia Legacy

Door authornicoleknight

Book Five in the MAFIA series (Previously Down in Flames) Luca and Charlotte have come a long ways in their 1... Meer

Prologue- Charlotte
Chapter One- Luca
Chapter Two-Charlotte
Chapter Three-Luca
Chapter Four- Charlotte
Chapter Five- Luca
Chapter Six-Luca
Chapter Seven-Charlotte
Chapter Eight- Luca
Chapter Nine- Luca/Charlotte
Chapter Ten- Luca
Chapter Eleven- Charlotte
Chapter Twelve- Charlotte
Chapter Thirteen- Luca
Chapter Fourteen- Charlotte
Chapter Fifteen-Charlotte
Chapter Sixteen-Luca/Charlotte
Chapter Seventeen- Charlotte
Chapter Eighteen-Luca/Charlotte
Chapter Nineteen- Charlotte
Chapter Twenty-Charlotte/Luca
Chapter Twenty One-Leo/Charlotte
Chapter Twenty Two-Charlotte
Chapter Twenty Three- Luca/Charlotte
Chapter Twenty Five-Charlotte
Chapter Twenty Six-Luca/Charlotte
Chapter Twenty Seven-Luca/Charlotte
Chapter Twenty Eight-Luca/Charlotte
Chapter Twenty Nine-Charlotte
Chapter Thirty- Luca
Chapter Thirty One- Charlotte
Chapter Thirty Two-Charlotte
Chapter Thirty Three- Charlotte
Chapter Thirty Four-Luca
Chapter Thirty Five-Luca
Chapter Thirty Six-Luca
Chapter Thirty Seven-Charlotte
Chapter Thirty Eight-Charlotte

Chapter Twenty Four-Charlotte/Luca

2.7K 178 40
Door authornicoleknight

Charlotte

When I got home, Marco tried to insist to come inside with me, but all I wanted to do was be alone. The boys would be at practice and Lucy was studying at Marco and Hailey's with their youngest daughter Veda. I could have a few hours alone to process what had happened this afternoon.

Never in my life did I imagine asking Luca for a divorce. I had kicked him when he was down, and while I understood why it was necessary, it still fucking hurt. Luca didn't know what was behind it, and I had no idea what was running through his mind.

I had gone there with every intention of not pulling out the paperwork. I thought I could get him to tell me the name and gave him the opportunity to. Why was that so hard? Why was he refusing to see his own family was falling apart at the seams? Sometimes I hated how hardheaded and single-minded he could be. Staying loyal was all he could think about, no matter the consequences.

I slammed the front door in frustration when I got inside and heard something fall off the wall in Luca's office. I went in, realizing it was still a mess from when the police were here. I hadn't gotten around to cleaning it up, and honestly, it was because it seemed too daunting. But what if the answer to all of this was somewhere in this mess? If the police couldn't find anything, there was a very slim chance I could. Luca liked things in organized chaos in a perfect scenario, and after being tossed by the police, his office looked like a tornado hit it.

I shuffled through a few papers on his desk, but there was nothing useful. He didn't keep much at home, anyway. Behind me was a wall of pictures, and I saw that it had been a family picture of ours that had fallen off the wall. The glass was shattered and tears welled up in my eyes at the irony. This perfect family I had always dreamed of, poured my heart and soul into, was in shambles. I was so angry at Luca. This was selfish and ridiculous and so stupid at this point.

I started picking up the glass and reached for a piece that had fallen right at the corner of his desk. I noticed a crease in the carpet and ran my fingers over it. I started to pull the carpet up and realized there was a keypad. Was this another safe? A door?

"Mom?"

I dropped the edge of the carpet back down and whirled around, scared out of my mind, until I realized it was Layla standing there.

"What are you doing here?" I said, breathing heavily.

"I came home to help." She frowned. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I stood up. "You just scared me. I thought I told you that you didn't need to come home."

"You did." She smirked. "But I want to be here. It's hard to focus on anything other than what's happening here."

"Well, I'm happy to see you." I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. Whatever was under the carpet would have to wait. I couldn't exactly break it open now that she was here. I'd figure it out once everyone was asleep. "Have you been here a while?"

"An hour or so." She shrugged. "Dad's been calling the house phone off the hook. I talked to him for a few minutes."

My heart froze. He wouldn't tell her, would he? "Oh, really? I was just visiting him this morning."

"That's what he said. He just said he forgot to tell you something, and he'd try back later." She said. "Want me to make dinner?"

"Um, why don't you take your brothers and sister out?" I suggested, itching to get back into Luca's office. "I had a big lunch with Marco and just some time to unwind. The boys are at practice for a little while and Lucy is over with Veda."

"Okay." Layla smiled apprehensively. "Are you sure you're doing okay, mom?"

"Yes." I mustered up the best smile I could. "I'm okay. I'm just worn out. And I wish your dad was home."

"I'm so sorry I got us in this mess, mom." Tears bubbled in Layla's eyes. "Dad never would have been arrested if I hadn't dated Hunter. I can't believe I was so stupid."

"Actually, Lay, Hunter was here the other night. He came to apologize to me."

"He did?" Her eyes widened.

I nodded. "I don't think he knew what was happening. I think he was used, too."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I think they've been after dad for a long time and once they found out he was dating you, they saw that as their in. I think he made a mistake, but I don't think he hurt you or us intentionally."

I felt bad for Hunter. He thought that his promotions and notoriety had been earned, but he was really just used for information in this stupid witch hunt, too.

It was disgusting, and I couldn't wait to put an end to it. I just hoped my marriage was still intact when I did.

Luca

I laid flat on my back, staring at the ceiling. Seventeen times I had tried to call Charlotte. I had tried her cell; I had tried home. Finally, on the 17th time, Layla had answered. It killed me to hear her voice, knowing the pain and anguish I was causing her. She was home, taking a leave of absence from school because of all of this. Maybe Char was right. Maybe I was going too far in not telling anyone who was really responsible.

The only problem was I was innocent, and I knew anyone with half a brain would realize that after they looked at the evidence, but I couldn't risk the time or chance of this going to trial. Charlotte had made that very clear today.

I wanted to believe this wasn't real. I wanted to believe that she was testing me or some stupid shit like that, but the look on her face had shaken me. She was so serious. She was so hurt. And maybe this time I had finally pushed her to her limit. Maybe she really did want out.

I had scrunched up every piece of the divorce packet and threw it around my room. There wasn't a shot in hell I was signing those. At least until I could talk to her and try to figure out if this was what she really wanted. If it was, I had no idea what I could do.

Charlotte was everything to me. She was my sun and my moon and all of my stars. My world began and ended with her. I didn't know who I was without her anymore, and the thought of losing her was inconceivable. We'd been through so much over the years, and if it wassail taken away from me because of this, I would never forgive him.

"Hey." Angelo came into my cell, kicking my foot. "I thought we were playing basketball."

I hadn't even realized it was rec time. I felt likening nothing but laying here and feeling sorry for myself right now.

"What's wrong with you? What is all of this shit?" Angelo bent down, picking up one of the crumpled pieces of paper and tossing it at me.

"Charlotte is divorcing me." I said without looking up.

"What? What the fuck are you talking about?" He grabbed another paper, smoothing it out.

"She came by today and basically gave me an ultimatum. Tell her who we're protecting or she's divorcing me." I said flatly. The words left a bad taste in my mouth. I couldn't believe this was my reality.

"Well, did you tell her?" Angelo said.

I shook my head. "I couldn't tell her out there. I know it's bugged. If I tell her, then she's in danger of being arrested as an accomplice. And I can't have her anywhere near this."

"Fuck." Angelo hissed, sitting down on the bed next to me.

"At this point, I might just give her what she wants to keep her safe." I said.

"Luca, you and I both know this isn't what she wants."

"It's what she's asking for. Maybe it is."

"It isn't. This is Charlotte we're talking about. She has put up with your shit for all these years. You think she's about to desert you when you need her most? She coulda left you for a hundred better reasons than you being set up."

"Unless she's starting to believe it wasn't a setup. The first time she came here, she flat out asked me if I did it." It killed me to think her faith in me was wavering.

"Would you snap out of it? This depressed, mopey version of you is disgusting." Angelo shoved me off the bed. "She doesn't believe you did it. All she wants is answers — like always. And we need to find a way to give them to her carefully."

"So, what are you suggesting?"

"We need to talk to Whitaker. Maybe cut some sort of deal."

"He doesn't want a deal, Angelo. Charlotte said Hunter has been by. He told her that they know we weren't responsible and that the person who actually did it threw us under the bus."

Angelo frowned. "He wouldn't do that."

"Really?" I sighed. "I mean, do we really know what he would do anymore? After all these years? I never thought he would have done this to begin with and he killed that girl. We helped him cover it up and now we're on the hook for it apparently because that's what he told Whitaker."

"Look, give me a day or so," Angelo bartered. "Don't sign those papers and don't talk to anyone. I met a guy the other day who I think may be able to help us out."

"Fine. But be careful If I've learned anything out of this, it's that we need to be a hell of a lot more careful of who we trust."

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

3.2M 101K 63
Book Two of the Mafia Series (Line of Fire) It's been four years since Charlotte left Luca without much explanation. When their paths cross again, wi...
29.8K 543 49
(Book 2 of the 'To Be His' series.) (Can be read as a stand alone.) Aurora de Luca is the daughter of a once ruthless mafia leader. Her mom and dad...
369 62 62
|| 18+ Enemies to lovers gxb and bxb || Infamous NYC mafia leaders Charlotte and Jericho have been rivals for years. However, all of that changes whe...
1.9M 67K 49
Fiction Awards Winner 2016 in General Fiction Category Book 1 of the New York Mafia Series: Summary: What happens when an innocent and kind hearted...