Eternity [ryeji]

By ryejidiaries

Two immortals who have pasts and who met each other at an art gallery. What could possibly happen once they m... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue

Chapter 38

906 46 25
By ryejidiaries

Yuna comes home to find Ryujin sitting on the couch, snacking on sweets while looking exhausted. The vacuum cleaner, duster, cleaning cloths and a pail of murky water are lying on the floor.

"What have you been doing? Where's Yeji unnie?"

"Cleaning up. She's gone home."

"You cleaned up?"

Ryujin nods and puts another piece of jelly inside her mouth. "I bet you these jellies that you won't find a speck of dust in this living room or in the kitchen."

"You rarely go all out like this unless something's really bothering you. What happened?" asks Yuna as she picks up the cleaning equipment and puts them away.

Ryujin remains quiet.

When Yuna's done with her task, she sits down next to Ryujin and turns the TV off, eliciting a protest from her friend. "You're not watching it anyway," she says. "What happened?"

"You know how you and Mr. Hwang have been saying that Yeji's too young?"

Yuna nods.

"Maybe you're right."

"Why? Did you guys fight again?"

"Yes."

"What about, this time?"

Ryujin summarizes their argument then sighs. "Maybe I was rushing things. Maybe I should've waited until she has passed at least one lifetime."

"You can't exactly control these things, Unnie, and you both wanted it. I don't think it's wrong to have gone ahead with it."

"But?"

"But you knew this would happen and you said you'd have the patience to deal with her."

"I do but what if she never gets over her insecurity or the childish anger?"

"She will, eventually. But it will take a lot of effort from your side. You need to continue reminding and convincing her that she's the only one for you," says Yuna. "By the way, I think she had the right to be angry. Although I know you didn't mean to compare them, I, too, would be upset if I were in her position. I'm sure there are plenty of new songs or songs you didn't associate with her that you can use to convey your feelings for Yeji unnie."

Ryujin thoughtfully chews on a jelly worm. "I wish she would've said it in a nicer, more reasonable way though instead of yelling at me and storming out of the house."

"She was probably totally surprised so she reacted instantly without thinking. Again, she's young and she adores romance. You were once like that too."

"I was not!"

"You weren't as loud and you probably didn't storm out but if the person you were dating did the same to you, you would've reacted just as she had. You love romance very much. In fact, you practically worshipped it. For example, you kept seeing that duke in secret when you knew they could have your head if they found out."

"I couldn't die even if they hanged me," retorts Ryujin.

"True but that's not why you were with him for that long," says Yuna with a knowing smile. "You loved the thrill of a secret love affair with a handsome, chivalrous and romantic blueblood. You were head over heels for him. Wooed in every possible way. He was literally willing to do anything for you, even if it meant disowning his family."

Ryujin turns slightly pink at the cheeks but says nothing.

"You love the feeling of being special to someone so you should understand why Yeji unnie was angry. She loves being special to you too."

"You're so preachy," mumbles Ryujin while sulking. And I'm starting to hate that you're almost always right. I'm supposed to be older and more experienced than you in this area.

Yuna grins. "The fight was mostly your fault, Unnie. Admit it."

Ryujin sighs. "Fine, fine. Anyway, how did everything with our acquaintances go?" she asks, changing the topic of the conversation.

"Pretty good. There was indeed a man named Roger who was in that protest with you. There were a few, actually, but only one married a Korean woman. Roger Weston. His wife is named Nancy Park or Park Nara. She was born in Seoul, left for London in the sixties and lived with her uncle's family. They somehow met, got married and had a daughter named Olivia. He died a few years ago and the wife came back to Korea to join the family business," Yuna starts relaying the information she received. "They own a few establishments across Seoul, you see, and she gets to run her own small restaurant now. We went there to confirm. She didn't recognize your name or your photo so you're safe for now. No one's gonna believe her mother-in-law's words considering her mental condition and age."

Ryujin exhales in relief. "That's good news."

"I'm sure Yeji unnie would be glad to hear it."

"Not today, probably. She's still angry, remember?"

"She'll come around." Yuna gets up from her seat and goes to the kitchen to find something to eat. She hasn't had lunch since all she did was stay in that car, eavesdropping on a fake conversation.

-------

"Are you going to tell me what happened?" Jisu asks as she hugs the bear carefully so as not to press its tummy. She's sitting next to her sulking friend who has an arm over her eyes. The usually loud and cheerful girl hasn't said a word since she came home.

She inches closer and pokes her friend's arm when she gets no reply. "Did you and Ryujin have another fight?"

"..."

"What about, this time?"

"Leave me alone," Yeji finally says.

"I can but I will be back with the same questions later."

"Whatever. Just go."

"Sheesh. Grouchy," retorts Jisu. She sets the bear near Yeji's pillow and leaves the room.

Yeji opens her eyes, takes the bear, presses its tummy then shakes it roughly.

"Did you tell her those words too?" she asks the bear. "Did you promise to always be there for her too? Will there be anything new left for me?"

Then suddenly, she remembers the promise she made to treasure their first meeting and their first kiss - not only the moments but also the emotions.

Ryujin's words come into mind, when she told her that she has never had a first kiss like they had.

Yeji sighs, feeling her anger being slightly reduced. I guess that's one first for me. And the fact that I'm the first immortal you've dated. There's also that bind...

She lets go of the bear and grabs her silenced phone, checking whether Ryujin has sent her any messages.

There's no new message and her pride won't let her apologize first this time so she lets go of the phone and groans, turning to get comfortable on the bed. She might as well take a nap.

Her peaceful moment doesn't last long because a little over an hour later, her bed is shaken by Jisu who jumps on it and announces loudly, "I'm back!"

Yeji groans and tries to hit her friend with a pillow while her eyes are still closed.

"I'm bored and hungry. Let's go out," coaxes Jisu. "Or I will keep pressing your Karate Jinnie's tummy until it runs out of battery." She grabs the bear and presses its tummy over and over again until Yeji snatches it out of her hands and kicks her.

"Ouch!" Jisu flinches then sulks, rubbing her kicked leg. "You are seriously a grouch."

"Can you blame me?! I was taking a nap, in case you haven't noticed!"

"But I'm bored and hungry!"

Yeji sighs and lies back down, setting the bear aside.

"So what did you two fight about?" asks Jisu. "And just so you know, I'm not going to stop asking until you answer me."

Yeji rolls her eyes, briefly summarizes what Ryujin did then turns away from her friend, telling her to get out and leave her alone.

"I'm with you on this one," Jisu says. "She shouldn't have done that. But I feel kinda sorry for her too. It's her first time recovering after losing someone very special to her, right? Cut her some slack. She's bound to make silly mistakes."

"Whose side are you on anyway?" mumbles Yeji.

"Yours, of course. Now let's get food! Hurry!" Jisu slaps Yeji's butt repeatedly until the latter surrenders and gets up lazily.

-------

Yeji's mood improves a lot over dinner and she's all smiles again when she steps out of Jisu's car, laughing at the story about Jisu's fiancé's mishap.

Her laughter abruptly stops a moment later when she notices the person waiting for her in front of her building.

Jisu sees that person too and quickly excuses herself after nudging her best friend.

"Come up when you're done," she tells the quiet Ryujin as she walks past her. "I have ice cream."

"Thank you," Ryujin thanks Jisu sincerely then looks at Yeji.

"What are you doing here?" asks Yeji, standing a distance away from Ryujin. Her tone is flat and cold as she frowns at the other woman.

Ryujin takes a small, cautious step forward. "I'm sorry for what I did. I didn't realize how much it would hurt you. I shouldn't have done that."

"Done what?"

"Calling you insecure and using the song that used to remind me of her. I'm sorry." Ryujin opens her arms. "Forgive me?"

"Do you understand why I'm angry?"

Ryujin nods. "I tried to put myself in your shoes and you're right. It sucks." Her arms are still open when she repeats her question. "Forgive me? I promise not to do this again. From now on, we'll continue making new memories. I won't bring anything from my past to my present." She takes a step forward then another, and another until Yeji's within her reach.

"I've taken down her painting, by the way. It's kept in my studio now, with my other, older work. I've replaced it with that painting from my Christmas exhibition. The one that's inspired by the first time you let me hold your hand." Ryujin takes hold of Yeji's hands. "Right there at that park," she adds, gesturing towards the park with her head.

"I'm not gonna lie. I'm happy to hear that," replies Yeji.

"I'm sorry. I really am. Thank you for actually letting me keep that painting there for as long as I had. I know that it must be difficult for you to see it every time you came over," adds Ryujin.

"I'm not saying you should forget her or get rid of everything related to her..."

"I know."

"And you can use old songs, you know. Just not ones that used to remind you of her," says Yeji, not struggling when Ryujin moves to hug her but not responding either. She stays still, unwilling to accept Ryujin's apology just yet.

"I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to reuse that song. It's just... when I listened to it again, it instantly made me think of you and I got so excited that I didn't think things through. I'm a selfish idiot," Ryujin says, holding Yeji close. "Forgive me?"

"Have you ever done anything or say anything else to me that's also recycled?"

"No."

"Not even your promises?"

"The words might be similar because my vocabulary is kinda limited but trust me, the depth of the meaning behind them is different. You're very special to me, Yeddeong. There is literally no one like you, no one I love most than you."

"Not even Yuna?"

"She's like a sister to me so with her, it's a totally different kind of love. We can't compare the two."

"Then among those you've loved with the same kind of love, the people you've dated, are you saying that you love me most?"

"Yes," answers Ryujin confidently without the slightest hesitation.

Yeji suppresses a smile. "Did you give her a ring with a knot on it?" she continues her questioning in the same, flat tone.

"I did not."

"Did you bring her roses on your special days?"

"No. I used to write her poems instead. I also never dressed up as a teddy bear for her, in case you're wondering, and I've never recorded my voice in a plushie for anyone else. I swear. You're the one who reminded me how it feels to love again, to be loved, and I don't want to lose you."

Yeji takes a deep breath and exhales. "Alright. You're forgiven." She lifts her arms and wraps them around Ryujin, feeling the latter relaxing in her hold.

"Thank you. I promise to never do such a dumb thing again. You're my first in a lot of things, Yeddeong," says Ryujin softly, "And certainly my first priority. "

"That's good to hear."

"I mean every word. I hope you know that."

Yeji loosens her hold and finally smiles. "I do."

"I'm really sorry," Ryujin apologizes once more. She's very relieved that Yeji has forgiven her and deep down, she promises herself to be more considerate and to stop thinking about her past so much. She doesn't want to hurt the person she loves most.

Yeji moves, walking towards the building. "Ice cream?"

"Yes, please."

-------

Yeji fixes her hair and dress, checking her appearance meticulously. She then hears the door opening behind her and turns around.

"Wow," Ryujin gasps, her jaw dropping to the floor as she observes Yeji from top to toe. "You're... perfect."

Yeji grins shyly, blushing. "Jisu's letting me wear pink today."

"And it suits you so well," Ryujin places her hands on Yeji's waist and pulls her closer. "You are so beautiful," she whispers before leaning in for a kiss.

"Please... don't ruin... my makeup," says Yeji in between the small, light yet sweet pecks of their lips.

Ryujin grins. "I wouldn't dream of it." She then takes out her phone to take a picture of Yeji and a selca of them together. "Now I know why you insisted on not letting me see your maid of honor dress until D-day."

Yeji drapes her arm loosely around Ryujin's neck. "I'll let you take it off me later," she whispers huskily while smirking.

Ryujin's eyes instantly light up. "Ooh yes please!"

They share another kiss and pull away from each other when there's a knock on the door.

"Yeji, are you ready?" comes the best man's voice. "Jisu's looking for you."

"Be right out!" replies Yeji. She checks herself one final time, grabs the small bouquet of flowers and goes out of the room with Ryujin by her side.

It's a beautiful fall day and the ceremony leaves no dry eyes among the female guests, especially during the part where the bride and groom kneel to pay their respects and gratitude to their parents.

The reception takes place a couple of hours after the ceremony so that the bride, groom, bridesmaids and groomsmen have time to rest and fix themselves. Jisu changes out of her white wedding dress into a shorter and more comfortable yellow dress because, in her own words, she is going to party the night away and the long frilly dress just won't do.

The couple only invited family and close friends to the ceremony but the reception is a totally different thing altogether.

Hundreds of people crowd the grand ballroom of one of the best and most exclusive hotels in Seoul. Family, friends, relatives and their parents' business partners are there.

There's even press reporting what they deem to be one of the most high profile weddings this year, teeming with some of the most successful people in Seoul.

Ryujin never leaves Yeji's side, quietly watching over her because she knows that behind the laughter and the wide smile, there's sadness and the fear of losing a dear friend.

Jisu has moved her things out of the apartment into a bigger one where she is going to live with her husband starting tonight.

Since her parents own the apartment she and Yeji had shared for most of their adult lives, Yeji is allowed to stay there without any increase in rent. Jisu's parents say that they rather have Yeji as a tenant than letting a stranger move in. They don't need the money anyway. They just want someone whom they can trust with the place.

Ideally, Yeji would rather live closer to Jisu but the newlyweds will be living in a more exclusive apartment complex uptown and Yeji can't afford the rent of even the smallest unit in that building.

Jisu consoles her best friend by promising to always keep in touch and meet up often. "Besides, it's only a fifteen-minute drive away," she told Yeji when she started moving her things. "You could always drop by my place or even stay over. I will turn our extra room pink if I have to."

Yeji empties her champagne flute then leans back, sighing.

"Tired?" Ryujin asks.

Yeji nods. "And bored." She looks around the large room and sees her father dancing with a woman she doesn't know. Just when she's about to say something, the song ends and the band switches to a slow song.

"Wanna dance?" asks Ryujin, holding out her hand.

"I thought you weren't supposed to be the center of attention?"

"I'm not going to be the center of attention."

"You will if we take the floor. Not everyone here is as open minded as the groom or Jisu's family."

"Then let's just dance in a corner somewhere."

Yeji takes Ryujin's hand and stands up. "I have a better idea."

She pulls the shorter woman out of the loud room, into the quiet hotel garden.

She stops at a dim, secluded corner and places her other hand on Ryujin's shoulder. Then she takes a small step closer, their bodies nearly touching.

They can still hear the music albeit faintly as both start to move, swaying gently in the cool autumn night, eyes locked together.

Yeji loops both her arms around Ryujin's neck and leans her forehead on Ryujin's when the latter pulls her, hugging her. She closes her eyes and silently sighs.

"This isn't the beginning of the end," whispers Ryujin. "You're not losing her."

"I know," replies Yeji, also in a whisper. "But I will, eventually." Her eyes start to tear up and she shifts her head, turning it to hide her face.

Ryujin kisses Yeji's hair and doesn't let go even after the band has stopped playing.

-------

"So how was your honeymoon?" asks Yuna the moment Jisu sits down. Her eyes are bright, excited.

"Not bad."

"Don't be so modest. You meant to say 'it was awesome!', didn't you?"

Jisu just grins before shifting her attention to Chaeryeong. "I heard that you've been taking dance lessons since last year, Ryeong."

The actress nods. "Why, Unnie?"

"Do they have classes for kids too? Oppa's niece wants to take up ballet."

"They do, I think. I'll ask and get back to you later."

"Great. Thanks." Jisu orders a drink then tells the two about her trip while they wait for Ryujin and Yeji to arrive.

"You're seeing someone?" Jisu asks Chaeryeong in a low voice, surprised by the news Yuna just leaked.

"Not officially. We've just been hanging out a lot lately."

"Is he an actor too?"

Chaeryeong nods.

"Isn't that... dangerous? Aren't you creating a scandal that's going to draw more attention to yourself?"

"It's too late for that. I've already been in too many scandals throughout my career."

"But not since... you know," says Jisu hesitantly.

"Since I met you guys? Yeah. Nothing since but don't worry, I'm taking it slow. I know he likes me but frankly, I still only see him as a nice oppa," replies Chaeryeong. "We'll see what happens but one thing's for sure, I don't want this to be another reckless fling. I've had enough of those, thank you very much."

"That's good," remarks Jisu. "I'm proud and happy for you."

"Thanks, Unnie."

"And I can't believe you've started calling me 'unnie' too. I feel old," Jisu cutely complains, pouting.

"I do it out of love and respect," teases Chaeryeong.

Jisu's drink arrives and the conversation is paused until the waitress has left their table.

"So how's my Yeji been doing? Honestly," Jisu asks the two tall women.

"She's okay. No longer as sad," answers Yuna. "Ryujin unnie never left her side. She's been staying over at your old apartment almost every day."

"That means you've been alone at the house a lot."

"Yes but I have Dubu, work, friends, Chaeryeong unnie... I'm totally fine," says Yuna with a grin.

"Is there any way that I could make this easier for her?"

Yuna and Chaeryeong exchange glances then the latter slowly shakes her head.

"I'm afraid not, Unnie. It's just... something that she has to learn to live with."

Jisu sighs, feeling guilty and sad for her best friend. "I've been trying to find the best time and place to tell Oppa about you guys but I don't know..."

"Take your time, Unnie. Don't shock him," advises Yuna.

"I can't exactly wait too long, can I? He would eventually notice."

"But not until at least another five years. Even then, a little change of hairstyle and makeup can still fool people into thinking that Yeji unnie's in her thirties. It will only start to get tougher when she's reached her late thirties."

"That doesn't make feel better somehow," Jisu mumbles as she takes a sip from her drink. "Will she have to move once I reach my forties?"

"Most likely."

"Will I be able to see her again after that?"

"Of course. But maybe not when your other friends or family are present. No one must know about her true identity."

Jisu nods absentmindedly, twisting her straw. "What if I have kids? They can't know about her, can they? It'll be weird to see their mother's best friend looking like she's their age."

"That's up to you but realistically, yeah, they can't," replies Yuna solemnly. "I'm sorry, Unnie."

"That's okay. I can still have ten more years with her, right?" Jisu tries to stay positive, smiling that cute smile that hides her eyes. "I need to go to the toilet. Be right back."

"Poor Jisu unnie," Yuna says when the woman has left their table.

"Poor Yeji unnie too," replies Chaeryeong. "The first one is always the toughest although it doesn't exactly get easier over time."

"I know. At least she has Ryujin unnie with her."

Chaeryeong nods and changes the subject, refusing to think about what their friends would go through.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 549 38
A fic where Yeji and Ryujin are college students who have formed an unexpected friendship - despite being the complete opposite of one another. One...
30.9K 1.3K 10
requested 💖 Polyamorous Imagines with ITZY! Ships that y/n will be paired with this book are: -ChaerLia -ChaeJi -ChaeRyu -JinLia -Ryeji -RyuNa -YeLi...
55.8K 1.1K 23
(G!P) Ryujin meets her new hot neighbour, Yeji. Both hit it off immediately and things seem to fall into place...Or that's what it seems. As their lo...
11.7K 541 20
Ryujin faces a lot of family issues and has noone to support or love her. Lia is full of positive energy and has her friends around her all the time...