Chapter 58

"This is unusually fancy," remarks Chaeryeong after sipping her champagne. "What's the occasion anyway?"

"It's been quite a while since I was able to spend time with you guys like this, all four of us in one place," Ryujin says. "So I think we should celebrate."

The four friends are dining at a fancy restaurant as per Ryujin's suggestion. The woman had told Yeji and her friends to dress up and prepare their stomachs for some delicious fine dining.

"So," continues Ryujin, "when are you going to tell us about that?" she asks, gesturing towards Chaeryeong's hand that's still wrapped around the champagne flute.

"What?" Chaeryeong follows Ryujin's line of sight and swallows. "Oh. This?" She places her glass down and holds her ring, feeling anxious.

"Yeah. That. And its twin around your finger." Ryujin turns her head towards Yuna who's quietly chewing her breadstick.

"I'm the one who's supposed to explain this," Chaeryeong says. "We're still taking it slow but we've bound ourselves to each other. Regardless of what will happen in the future, at least we can look out for each other and always have another friend."

"That's very diplomatic of you," remarks Ryujin with a smirk. "What does this bind mean then? I bound myself to Yeji and to Yuna but you know they're two very different binds."

Yuna and Chaeryeong glance at each other and the latter looks down nervously.

"I... I think my heart's ready to take another chance," Chaeryeong finally says, blushing slightly. "I do not want to hurt Yuna and I will try my best not to, if that's what you're afraid of. We're seriously at a super snail pace, just taking it one day at a time but I... I care a lot about her and I... I... I want to spend more time together, with her, I mean..."

Ryujin can't help but laugh. "Calm down, Ryeong. Breathe."

Chaeryeong takes a deep breath. "Sorry. I just... Please don't doubt me, Unnie. I will not leave her or hurt her and I will not think about ending my life ever again. I've realized the errors in my ways. There will always be hope, light at the end of the tunnel, if we're willing to wait. Everything will come to pass, even our problems and heartaches."

"I agree," Ryujin says, reaching for Yeji's hand. "I might not have reached that place you were in but I was well on my way there if it wasn't for Yeji." She smiles at her fiancée who smiles back lovingly.

Then Ryujin turns her attention back to Chaeryeong. "I once told you that you had my blessing, didn't I? I haven't changed my mind. I know Yuna. It's not easy for her to just say yes or bind herself to anyone." She looks at her friend who quietly smiles at her. Even without words, they perfectly understand each other thanks to all the years they spent together. "And I trust her. If she finds you worthy of her heart then who am I to object? Just please take good care of her, she means a lot to me. She was there for me when I was at my weakest and is the most faithful friend and sister anyone could ever wish for. Don't hurt her, okay? You should be able to learn something from my own stupidity. Don't repeat my mistakes and relax, be happy. Enjoy it. It doesn't matter what pace you take. To each their own, Ryeong. Just be happy. It's about time you experience happiness again."

"Thank you, Unnie." Chaeryeong exhales in relief. "Thank you."

"No problem. Now just relax and enjoy dinner."

"Congrats, you two," Yeji says. "I'm happy for you."

"Thank you, Unnie," Yuna finally speaks up.

"Oh by the way, I need to take your measurements tomorrow and we should start discussing the model of your maid of honor dress," Yeji tells Yuna. "You too, Ryeong," she then says to Chaeryeong.