Eternity [ryeji]

By ryejidiaries

Two immortals who have pasts and who met each other at an art gallery. What could possibly happen once they m... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue

Chapter 26

1.3K 64 42
By ryejidiaries

The days before Yeji’s birthday are filled with busy individuals doing their own things.

After picking Yeji up from work on Monday, Ryujin has to go back home because her unsold artwork from the exhibition has arrived and she needs to sort them out so she can donate them as soon as possible.

On Tuesday, both are busy so they don’t get to see each other at all.

Yeji spends both Monday and Tuesday nights with her father and Jisu. In a way, it’s fun since it reminds her of the old days when her father used to take her and Jisu out on weekends of after school. It also helps suppress thoughts and memories related to her mother as it was around this time, fifteen years ago, that she struggled with the fact that she would lose the person she loved for the first time in her life.

Jisu and Mr. Hwang are well aware of Yeji’s moodiness whenever her birthday’s near so they do everything they can to cheer her up and distract her.

He even invites Ryujin and Yuna over for dinner on Wednesday night but only Ryujin can make it. Yuna has an appointment with Chaeryeong. She’s taking her to the science museum and planetarium then to dinner.

There’s a different atmosphere that night in Yeji and Jisu's apartment. Gone are the awkwardness and fear. They talk and joke around like a family, sharing stories, laughing… and Ryujin secretly loves it. The whole thing is done for Yeji, she knows, but she enjoys every second of it.

Yeji dotes on her, even in front of her father who rolls his eyes and clears his throat countless times.

She has to apologize to the man each time but never tells Yeji to stop, smiling at her when she places her hand on her thigh under the table, or when she refills her drink for her, or when she wipes her mouth before giving her a kiss.

That last one catches her completely off guard. She’s in the middle of a lively discussion with Mr. Hwang regarding the post-war eras when Yeji suddenly interrupts by telling her that she has something on the corner of her lips. The woman then takes a napkin, turns her head towards her, wipes her mouth then pecks her lips.

Ryujin instantly turns red, feeling terribly embarrassed and awkward thanks to Jisu’s gagging noises and Mr. Hwang’s loudest “Ahem!” of the night.

“Why did you do that?” she asks, lowering her voice.

“Because you’re cute.”

“I get a feeling that you just made up that whole thing about Ryujin having something on her face,” remarks Jisu from across the table.

“Can you not do this mid conversation next time?” chimes in Mr. Hwang. “You’re making me forget what I was about to say.”

“Everyone’s a critic,” says Yeji, shaking her head. “You’re all just jealous.”

“I’ll gladly admit that but please don’t rub it in,” Jisu tells her friend.

Ryujin says a quick sorry to the man and resumes talking.

Later that night, when Yeji walks her down to her car, she pulls her towards the park so they can have a few minutes alone together.

“Are you free Saturday?” Ryujin asks.

“You’re not gonna ask me whether I’m free Friday? On my birthday?”

“I know that you’re working on Friday.”

“But only for a few hours!”

“I want a whole day with you.”

“Why not make it one and a half day? Half day Friday, whole day Saturday?”

Ryujin grins. “As awesome as that sounds, I want to leave time for you to spend with your father and Jisu.”

“We can all spend time together. Just like today. It went okay, didn’t it?”

“It went more than okay. I really enjoyed it, honestly.”

“Then what’s wrong with spending Friday together? It’s my birthday. Don’t I get a say in how I choose to spend it and with whom?”

Ryujin chuckles, stopping and turning around to face the now frowning Yeji. “Don’t frown. You’re free to choose how to spend your birthday and with whom.”

“Then let’s go out to dinner. Take Yuna with you and we can celebrate my birthday together with my father and Jisu.”

“I wish I could but I want you to spend Friday with your family.” Ryujin steps forward and kisses Yeji. “Don’t worry, you’re mine all day Saturday.”

“Fine. I’ll be looking forward to it,” says Yeji, wrapping her arms around Ryujin to pull her close. She’s smiling again now. “I can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with. Don’t go overboard, okay?”

“You don’t like romantic gestures?”

“I love romantic gestures especially if they come from you but not if they’re too cheesy.”

“Don’t worry. I promise that it won’t be over the top cheesy.”

Yeji grins. “I’ll take your word for it,” she says before she gives Ryujin another peck then regretfully walks back towards her apartment building, holding Ryujin’s hand. She has another shoot tomorrow and needs to sleep early. “I’ve been thinking,” she says, swinging their joined hands a little. “In a few years, I think I’m going to retire and lay low. I can’t be a model for much longer anyway.”

“What are you going to do then?”

“I’m thinking of going back to school.”

“Oh? What do you want to study?” asks Ryujin, turning her head towards the other woman.

“Design. I think I’ll be a fashion designer or stylist. It’s something that I can continuously do in the future. Like you and your paintings.”

“That’s a good idea. And since you already have a business degree in your pocket, you can set up your own business too. Yuna and I will help.”

“You’re volunteering her without permission again,” remarks Yeji, glad for the support.

“I only volunteer her in causes that I know she’ll agree to.”

“You make me sound like I’m some kind of charity.”

“Oh trust me. It won’t be charity. You will reward me. In the bedroom,” says Ryujin, smirking and winking at the laughing Yeji.

“Pervert!” Yeji playfully shoves Ryujin aside and gasps when the latter grabs her butt, squeezes it hard and runs away. “Yah! Come back here!” she shouts, running after the woman whose unique laughter echoes in the quiet park.

She easily catches her, gets her revenge by squeezing Ryujin’s butt even harder and they end up making out in Ryujin’s car.

It almost turns into a quickie at the backseat if not for Ryujin’s ringing phone interrupting them.

“It’s Yuna,” Ryujin says after seeing the caller’s name, moving off of Yeji to take the call. “Hello?”

“Hey, Unnie. Are you still at Yeji unnie’s place?” comes Yuna’s voice over the phone.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Nothing.”

“You called so it’s not nothing. Are you okay? Where are you?”

“I’m home. I’ve been home for hours”

“Oh? That’s fast. I thought you were going to have dinner with Chaeryeong after the museum trip.”

“She ran out on me.”

“What? What happened?”

“Long story. Can you get ice cream on the way home?”

“Sure. Anything else you want?”

“No. Just ice cream please.”

“Okay. I’ll be right there.”

“Take your time. I’m seriously fine.”

“I’ll see you in a bit then. Bye.”

“Bye.”

Ryujin hangs up and sighs. “Sorry about that,” she says turning her head to see Yeji’s shirt already neatly buttoned up again. “Hey, you undid my hard work.”

“It’s not like you’re going to do anything with it now anyway and I don’t want to catch a cold,” says Yeji. “Did something happen to Yuna?” She reaches out and starts buttoning up Ryujin’s shirt as well.

Ryujin shakes her head. “She just wants me to buy some ice cream on the way home.” She watches Yeji’s expression, smiling at the seemingly insignificant but adorable gesture. “Thank you,” she tells Yeji when the woman has finished buttoning up her shirt and zipping up her jeans, and kisses her cheek.

“You’re welcome.”

“I’m sorry about the interruption.”

Yeji shrugs. “You’ll make it up to me on my birthday.”

“I’ll do that and more.”

Yeji closes her eyes when Ryujin’s warm palm rests on her cheek, guiding her closer. She returns each tug of her lips and exhales when Ryujin pulls away. “I guess you better go. I should go to bed early. Commercial shoots require my face to look fresh.”

Ryujin smiles then gives Yeji one more kiss and a long warm hug. “Call me any time you want to talk, okay? I don’t mind coming to the set either. Just let me know what you want me to do for you and I’ll do it,” she whispers.

“Thanks. I’ll be fine. Just… moody,” replies Yeji as she nuzzles her face in the crook of Ryujin’s neck.

Ryujin understandingly and soothingly strokes Yeji’s back until the latter lets go.

Yeji bids Ryujin good night and steps out of the car, watching the woman drive away before going back up to her apartment.

———————

Ryujin comes home to see Yuna in the living room, watching TV. “Got your ice cream,” she says, showing her the plastic bag in her hands before placing it on the coffee table. She goes to the kitchen to get two spoons and a drink for herself, and returns to the living room. “Tell me what happened.”

Yuna shrugs. “I’m not so sure about it either. I’m just hoping that she won’t disappear or push me away after today.” She opens the tub and takes a spoon, scooping the creamy treat into her mouth.

“You went to the planetarium, right?” asks Ryujin. “The one at that science museum?” She uses the other spoon and starts eating as well.

Yuna nods. “It went okay at first. She didn’t react, as usual. Not until we went inside the museum, that is.”

“What happened at the museum?”

“You know those fun scientific exhibitions they have there?”

“They’re mostly meant for kids, right?”

“Yes.”

“Was it too childish for her so she left?”

Yuna shakes her head. “I took her there to have fun. I mean, I knew she’d resist going to the amusement park so the museum was the best alternative I could think of. Plus, she was a nurse. She knows her science so I figured she’d enjoy the visit.”

Ryujin nods, silently letting her friend finish her story.

“She didn’t want to interact with anything, at first, but someone recognized her and she had to keep up her celebrity image so she played a game with that person’s kids. It was all fake. The smiles, the friendliness towards those people… I could see how insincere they were. But as she continued playing, I noticed a change. She began to enjoy those games although she didn’t tell me about it. Even after those people and their kids had left, she kept on going, exploring everything they had like a fascinated but quiet child.”

“So you succeeded then. You made her remember how it felt to have fun.”

“Not exactly. Like I said, she ran out on me. There was this iguana feeding session. It had an age restriction but the staff recognized her so they let us participate anyway,” explains Yuna. “You know how much I dislike reptiles but she’s not afraid of them and she made me feed that huge lizard. I was trembling so hard and even screamed like a fool when the staff nudged me closer to that thing. I honestly almost cried and wet my pants. Kids laughed at me and to my surprise, so did she. She laughed so hard, in fact, that I think she surprised herself.”

“She ran off after that?”

Yuna nods. “She left, just like that, and I had to explain to the people and the staff that she had forgotten about a very important appointment so she had to leave immediately. I even had to act as if I was giving her a call.”

“What made her run?”

“Isn’t it obvious? She laughed, Unnie. Like literally laughing. Opening her mouth and making laughing sounds because she was amused. For someone who told me that every day was the same as if she’s numb, that was huge.”

“I realized that but why did she have to run?” asks Ryujin. “Laughing in that situation would not be seen as something out of place. The kids were laughing at you too, right? She could have just pretended that it was another act, another way to keep up her celebrity image.”

“Yes but I think she wasn’t used to showing her real emotions, or even feeling them anymore. She cried in the toilet at the camping ground, remember? I’m quite certain that the laugh shocked her so much that she didn’t know what to do except to run away.”

Ryujin takes another spoonful of ice cream before putting her spoon down. “For what it’s worth, I think you’re doing great. You’re making her feel again.”

“Hopefully that means that I’m slowly changing her mind, not making her even more determined about ending everything.”

“Just make her laugh more and cry less and you’ll be fine,” jokes Ryujin.

“Sometimes crying is what we need though. More than laughter. By crying, we express our sadness, our pain. We let it out. It helps to cry sometimes. Many experts believe that it’s even therapeutic to cry although more studies are required,” replies Yuna, completely missing the joke.

“I was just kidding, Professor Shin. You need to relax. Go to bed early tonight and stop thinking about Chaeryeong so much. Let me know if you need anything.” Ryujin stands up, pats her friend’s shoulder then goes up to her room to rest.

———————

Yeji spends the next day at the set and says yes to her colleagues’ invitation for coffee and a meal after the shoot’s over. By the time she comes home, it has passed dinnertime and the apartment’s quiet although the living room lights are on.

“Dad? Jisu?” she calls out on her way to the kitchen.

The guestroom door opens and out steps her father. “You’re home?”

“Yeah. Where’s Jisu?” Yeji takes out a bottle of juice and opens it.

“I don’t know. Out with her friends maybe,” he says, taking a seat at the counter, watching his daughter.

“What have you been doing?” Yeji turns around to face him.

“Nothing much. Went out for a bit to meet friends.”

“When are you flying back?”

He cracks a small smile. “So eager to get rid of your old man?”

“I was just asking, Dad.”

“I’m flying back Tuesday.”

Yeji nods and walks out of the kitchen with her juice bottle in hand. “I’m going to take a shower.”

Once that’s done, she joins her father who’s watching TV and waits until Jisu comes home.

She follows her best friend inside her room, sitting down on the bed while the owner of the room removes her make-up. “Did Ryujin talk to you?” she asks.

“About?” replies Jisu.

“My birthday.”

“Your birthday?” Jisu glances at her friend through the mirror. “Why would she talk to me about your birthday?”

“I don’t know. Maybe she’s planning something. A surprise?”

“If she does and if it’s a surprise then you should know better than to ask me.”

“It’s worth a try. You might be involved.”

“Trust me, I have nothing to do with anything she’s planning. That is if she is planning something,” says Jisu calmly, finishing her task. “I’m going to take a shower.” She gets up from her seat, grabs a towel and her clothes then leaves the room.

Yeji sighs, pushes herself up and goes to her own room, taking her phone out to text Ryujin.

They talk until she falls asleep and when she wakes up the next morning, she realizes that the surprise she was expecting to take place right when the clock struck twelve didn’t happen.

There’s a message from Ryujin in her phone though, wishing her a happy birthday and a great day ahead but nothing more. Not even a single stem of pink rose waiting for her outside her room.

What are you planning, Shin Ryujin?

———————

Her day started off feeling longer than usual but she’s glad for her colleagues who bought her a birthday cake and even sang her happy birthday.

She was surprised and touched so she treated everyone to lunch by ordering food.

Jisu and her father have wished her a happy birthday this morning but Ryujin didn’t personally wish her until she texted her angrily while taking a break from the shoot.

“So you’re too busy to wish your girlfriend a happy birthday in person?”

Ryujin immediately called after reading the message, apologizing. She said she was planning to do so but after Yeji's done with work. Then she explained that she was busy overseeing the shipping of her donated paintings.

“People are going in and out of the house… it got so hectic that I forgot about calling you. I’m sorry. I really planned to do so after everything’s done. Hang on.”

Yeji heard Ryujin telling someone to be careful because the frame was loose and knew that the woman was telling the truth.

“Sorry,” Ryujin spoke again, sighing. “These pieces have to arrive at their destinations safely or they wouldn’t be worth anything.”

“Are they going to be sold?”

“I don’t know. Depends on their new owners.”

There was a loud crash and Ryujin let out a horrified gasp. “Oh my god! Be careful!” she shouted to whomever was there then told Yeji that she’d have to call her back later.

Since then, there’s been no news from the woman.

Yeji’s mood turned sour but luckily, Jisu dropped by unannounced, picking her up from work to take her to one of her favorite stores. She told the birthday girl to choose her own present and after much insistence, Jisu finally made her choice.

Now they’re on their way back to their apartment after stopping for coffee and Jisu’s favorite bingsoo.

She is smiling from ear to ear and can’t stop talking about the outfit she has in mind to wear alongside the bag Jisu’s bought her. Her mood has considerably improved after spending overdue quality time with her best friend and her irritation towards Ryujin is forgotten.

“Calm down,” Jisu tells her friend as they step out of the elevator. She’s texting on her phone when the device suddenly rings. “Hello?” she answers the call, slowing down to walk behind Yeji.

As Jisu continues talking on her phone, discussing what sounds like business, Yeji keys in the code, unlocking the apartment door.

The place is dark so she takes off her shoes and heads inside to turn on the lights when she gets the shock of her life.

“Surprise!”

The whole place lights up and people – her father, friends and colleagues – jump out, singing her happy birthday.

“Wha…” She laughs when she sees her father approaching, carrying a pink cake with candles on top while dressed as a clown. “What is this?” she asks when she notices that almost everyone’s in a costume.

She looks around the room and her eyes meet those of a smiling Ryujin in a white bear onesie, standing a bit far away, nearly hidden among the crowd. She chuckles, knowing that this must be part of the woman’s plan.

“Make a wish and blow the candles,” instructs her father.

“Are you in on this?” she asks him.

“No. I just happen to like dressing up as a clown.”

She laughs at him, clasps her hands and makes a wish before she blows out the candles to loud cheers and applause.

“Let the party begin! Where’s the booze?” shouts Jisu who’s about to search for drinks when Yeji grabs her arm, pulling her aside. “I’m innocent!” she says. “Don’t shoot me!”

“Shut up. Whose idea is this?” Yeji asks her best friend. “I know it’s not yours because we’re over this whole surprise party thing a long time ago.”

“Find the bear,” replies Jisu mysteriously in a wise tone, “and you shall find the answer.” The short woman laughs and quickly leaves the birthday girl.

People come up to Yeji, wishing her a happy birthday and giving her presents, talking to her.

It takes almost half an hour before she can excuse herself, going in search of Ryujin.

She finishes a tall glass of champagne and finds her bear out on the balcony with a glass of cold soda in her hand, the hood of the onesie off and the zipper open.

“Excuse me,” she says as she opens the glass sliding door, causing Ryujin to turn around in surprise. “I’m looking for the bear. Jisu said that I would find my answer when I find the bear.”

“The answer to what?”

Yeji closes the door, shutting out the noise. “To the question of whose idea is this party?”

Ryujin raises her hand. “Guilty. Too childish?”

“A little childish but I haven’t had a surprise birthday party in years so this is fun. Especially the costumes.”

“Whew. I’m glad.” Ryujin smiles when Yeji approaches and sets her glass down on the floor. “Happy birthday.” She opens her arms, hugs her and kisses her gently.

“You made up that whole thing about being too busy to wish me a happy birthday, didn’t you?” accuses Yeji, pouting. “I was so annoyed when you didn’t call me back.”

“Maybe,” says Ryujin with a smirk. “But I wasn’t lying about overseeing those delivery people. Ask Yuna. She’s dressed as the fluffy unicorn.”

Yeji laughs. “I saw it. It’s because I told you how much I liked ‘Despicable Me’, isn’t it?”

“Yeah. I was gonna come as a minion but that costume is going to kill me. It’s summer, after all. Even this is already making me feel hot.” Ryujin gestures to her open zipper.

“You’re always hot in my eyes.”

Ryujin laughs. “Thanks.”

“So Jinnie the human is cosplaying Jinnie the bear?”

“Yup. But I couldn’t find any white bear costume so a onesie would have to do. And there’s none with pink colored belly or palms so I’m wearing a pink bowtie instead.” Ryujin takes out said bowtie from her pocket.

“I want to take a selca. Zip up,” orders Yeji, taking the bowtie from Ryujin. She places it around her neck, pulls up the hood and stands next to her, ready to take a picture.

Ryujin grins when Yeji kisses her cheek before pressing the shutter button. “Send me the picture please. I’ll use it as my phone wallpaper.”

“I’m thinking of doing the same thing.”

“So we’re going to be one of those yucky couples who have matching phone wallpapers with their picture on them?”

“Uh-huh.” Yeji pockets her phone and goes back to holding Ryujin, kissing her. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Be sure to thank your father and Jisu too. They helped invite your friends and colleagues.”

“I’ll do that. Now more kisses please. I missed you.” Yeji tightens her arms and tilts her head, letting her lips meet Ryujin’s in slow yet firm tugs.

The sliding door behind her opens and loud sounds from the party leak out, interrupting what they’re doing.

“If you’re done with your bear, there are people here who want to see the birthday girl,” Jisu says.

“Be right there,” replies Yeji.

Jisu nods and disappears inside, closing the door.

Yeji grins at Ryujin. “I guess we’d have to continue this later.”

“Not later. Tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?”

“Yeah. All day tomorrow, remember? I’ll pick you up early in the morning and we’ll spend all day together. By the way, you need to pack an overnight bag and bring your swimsuits.”

“Ooh! Are we going to stay somewhere?”

Ryujin nods. “Somewhere without your father or our best friends,” she says, smirking.

Yeji chuckles and kisses Ryujin again. “It’s about time. It’s been a week. I am considering tying you up to my bed and locking you in my room tonight,” she says in a low voice, biting her lower lip at the thought of what she’s going to do to her.

“I’d love that,” replies a grinning Ryujin. “Trust me. It’s hard for me too but we’ve been busy and with your father here-…”

Suddenly, the sliding door opens again and Jisu reappears. “Yah! Hurry up, will ya?”

Yeji waves her friend off without taking her eyes off of Ryujin.

“Tomorrow. We have all day tomorrow and Sunday too,” Ryujin says, rubbing Yeji’s back before letting go of her. “Now come on. Your friends want to see you.” She pulls Yeji inside the noisy apartment, back to her birthday party.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.5K 1.1K 23
(G!P) Ryujin meets her new hot neighbour, Yeji. Both hit it off immediately and things seem to fall into place...Or that's what it seems. As their lo...
437K 12.3K 41
Yeji, together with her friends, went to Jeju Island to celebrate their college graduation. While having a good time and living her life to the fulle...
11.7K 541 20
Ryujin faces a lot of family issues and has noone to support or love her. Lia is full of positive energy and has her friends around her all the time...
11K 609 38
A fic where Yeji and Ryujin are college students who have formed an unexpected friendship - despite being the complete opposite of one another. One...