Eternity [ryeji]

By ryejidiaries

Two immortals who have pasts and who met each other at an art gallery. What could possibly happen once they m... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue

Chapter 21

1.4K 69 26
By ryejidiaries

Heads turn when the tall woman walks inside the art gallery, following her graceful movements.

Contrary to her usual attire when meeting Yuna, today she decides to appear as Lee Chaeryeong the actress, not Lee Chaeryeong the secret immortal who desperately needs help.

She wants to show Yuna that she does not care about this beating around the bush and that she is confident, determined and firm.

She nods and smiles a little to the young woman behind the information desk who's clearly star struck judging by the nervous bow and the giddy outburst when she walks past her.

Then she sees Yuna, standing in front of one of the paintings.

Alright. Let's get this over with.

She walks faster, coming to a stop next to her. "So why are we here?" she asks, straight to the point.

Yuna turns her head. "Ah hello, Unnie. Good morning."

"Morning. Now why am I here?"

"You look very nice," compliments Yuna.

"Let's cut the small talk, shall we? Your two hours have started the moment I stepped foot inside this building so unless you want to spend it all with meaningless small talk..."

Yuna brushes off the cold tone and gestures at the painting she's looking at. "What do you think?"

Chaeryeong observes the canvas, raising her eyebrows. "I'm not a fan of contemporary art."

"Me neither but this particular exhibition isn't as complicated or difficult as the others."

Yuna starts walking and Chaeryeong reluctantly follows her.

"What do you think of this one? It's titled 'The past'." Yuna stops in front of a large colorful painting.

"It's a mess."

"Why do you think that?"

"There's so much going on in there. Colors, shapes... I'm dizzy just looking at it. Did a unicorn come along and barf on this canvas?"

Yuna decides to ignore the other woman's comment. "Isn't there anything that pops up in your mind when you see it?"

Chaeryeong sighs. "Why are you doing this?"

"You don't like art?"

"If this is your attempt on finding out whether I like art then let me make this easier for you. No. I don't."

"But you're an actress. You perform. That's art too."

"It's different."

"How is it different?"

"For starters, what I do is easy to understand. What you see is what you get. If I do a bad job at it then people will know and agree that it's bad. This..." Chaeryeong gestures at the canvas and the description next to it. "This thing is a mess for me but apparently there's a whole other interpretation behind it and I'm sure there are people who have different opinions on it too. It's much too complicated and I don't like complicated stuff."

"Okay. I understand that," Yuna says, moving along. "But I still hope that you could tell me what your own interpretation is and the impression you get from this exhibition and its theme later."

Chaeryeong really wants to get out of there but since she still needs Yuna, she has no choice but to do as the woman wishes.

After they have finished touring the whole gallery, Yuna brings Chaeryeong to the gallery's café and buys her lunch. By now, people have already realized the actress' presence in that gallery and some have been taking pictures of her although none has the courage to ask for her autograph just yet.

"You have a lot of fans," remarks Yuna as she takes a bite from her salad.

"What fans? They're just curious onlookers," retorts Chaeryeong. "Fans would do more than just looking. Anyway, fans, onlookers, stalkers... it doesn't matter. They don't know the real you. They might think they do but they don't."

"But you entertain people, you inspire them. They're your fans because they like you."

Chaeryeong almost scoffs but stops herself, knowing that she can be overheard. "They will move on and find someone else to like. Someone new, younger, better, more inspiring... it always ends that way," she says in a low voice then takes a sip from her drink. "Besides," she continues after wiping her mouth, "I have done nothing to inspire them. They like me because of my looks. It's superficial, temporary. Like everything in this world."

So she doesn't care much about her fans and she thinks that nothing will last, notes Yuna.

"There are things that last forever," she says.

"Oh? Like what? Diamonds? Do you seriously believe in that commercial? Or are you just being too naïve for your age? I'm sure you've seen just as much as I have. Nothing lasts forever and you know it. Not even us."

"We can last forever. It's the gift that we've been given."

Chaeryeong shakes her head. "We can't. What you call a gift is just an extension. Eventually, all of us will want out. There's only so much one person can take."

"Is that why you want out? Because you've seen enough?"

"Yes."

"But you're in the prime of your career! The life that you have right now is one that's desired by many. I don't understand why you'd want to end it."

"You don't have to understand. Just do what I requested and go on with your life."

Yuna frowns and pokes her salad absentmindedly. She knows that there's no use pushing Chaeryeong into telling her the reason behind her request, just like Yeji's father has predicted. It's better to just continue executing her plan: to subtly change Chaeryeong's mind. "What did you think of the exhibition? What's your impression?"

Chaeryeong shrugs. Her eyes are on the straw she's fiddling with. "Like the pamphlet says, the theme is never ending journey."

"What is your impression of it?"

"I told you, I'm not into contemporary art. It looks like one abstract mess after another."

"You don't feel anything? See anything?"

"What I feel or see doesn't matter."

"That is where you're wrong. It matters. It matters to me and to the artist."

"The artist doesn't even know me."

"But I know her. I can tell her what you think about her work, the impression you get."

"Why would my impression matter?"

"Because an artist's work is only meaningful when they're appreciated by people. What they create starts from themselves, from expressing their feelings and thoughts, but ultimately, their work is only worth something when it touches others and influences them. Whether you're a painter, a singer, a dancer or an actress... when you're an artist that's what you strive for, right?"

Chaeryeong shakes her head. "I can't believe I'm hearing this from someone my age. Aren't you a professor? Doesn't that mean that you have a lot of knowledge about this world? Why are you so naïve and idealistic?"

"I'm not naïve. That's just how artists are. That's how they live and perfect their art. The main goal is to entertain hence the occupation 'entertainer'. You don't just do it for the fame or money if you're a true artist."

"Then I'm not a true artist," states Chaeryeong surprising Yuna. "Because I do it for both fame and money."

"Unnie-..."

"Isn't that what everyone wants? Wealth and fame?"

"Not everyone."

"Don't be a hypocrite. I'm sure those are the main reasons for this painter friend of yours to showcase her work."

"We all need money to survive, yes, but money's not the only thing we need. My friend displays her work in the hopes that someone would buy it, that is true. But beyond that, she wants to share her thoughts and feelings, encourage people to think about their own thoughts and feelings as well," Yuna says. "Today is the last day of the exhibition. Some of the unsold paintings would be donated to several institutions around the country. They can choose to display it or sell it. It's theirs," explains Yuna.

"What a nice mortal. Probably thought that she wouldn't need the money anyway given her limited time on earth," mumbles Chaeryeong. She still doesn't believe that such sincerity and kindness still exists in this world.

"That's the catch. She's not a mortal with borrowed time. She's one of us."

Chaeryeong looks up in surprise. "What?"

"Didn't I tell you that Ryujin unnie is an artist? This is her latest exhibition."

"Hence the never ending journey theme." Chaeryeong takes a deep breath and leans back. "And why you brought me here."

"I just wanted to know what you think of it. Ryujin unnie has to keep her identity a secret, as you would understand, but she likes hearing people's opinions about her work."

"If I tell you that I don't understand it and that it's confusing and messy, will it discourage her?"

Yuna shakes her head. "She's had worse critics. Life has its ups and downs. Sometimes people would love what she creates, sometimes they wouldn't. There was a time when she couldn't even sell one painting let alone display them in an exhibition like this."

"Then why did she keep doing this?"

"It's her passion. She once said to me... 'I've been many things in my life but the one thing I will always be is an artist'. She has been through a lot, so much more than me. We both express our thoughts and feelings differently. I like pursuing knowledge then sharing them with young people, help them start their career and stand on their own two feet. She likes to immortalize things on canvas and share them with others who appreciate them."

Chaeryeong sighs. "You two are wasting your time."

"No we're not. We're making a difference in our own little ways. Might not be a huge difference but it's something. It's what we live for. At least, it's what I live for. Ryujin unnie might have other things she holds dear to her besides her art. Our friendship and her current relationship, among others. Whatever it is, those things give meaning to our lives. They're the reason why we're still here."

The woman shifts her gaze towards Yuna, sharply piercing through her brown eyes.

"This little art outing is over," she says, standing up from her seat. "Thank you for lunch and for the unwanted long lecture."

"Before you go," Yuna calmly says, "Can you please tell me your impression from the exhibition? What you felt when you looked at them? Abstract mess aside, did you feel something from a certain piece of work?"

"The only thing I feel is regret for letting you do this and for the six months I gave you. Should've changed it to six days."

Chaeryeong then takes her purse and leaves the table, walking briskly towards the exit.

I guess I touched a nerve. She left when I mentioned what we live for. Yuna resumes eating her lunch. On to the next step then.

-------

The sports car stops at the red light and its driver lets go of the steering wheel while huffing and frowning, still unhappy with what she has just heard.

Something meaningful. What we live for.

Chaeryeong scoffs. "There is nothing left to live for. People leave."

Her phone notifies an incoming message and she checks it to see a text from a famous actor who's close to her co-star in her last drama. It's a seemingly casual introductory message but she knows what that person's really after so she chooses not to reply to it for now.

She grabs the steering wheel when the light turns green and starts driving again.

Her mind can't stop replaying Yuna's question though. She might have said that the whole exhibition was just a bunch of messy abstract but in truth, she has felt something when she looked at it. Something much too familiar.

Behind the bright colors and intricate weaving of shapes and patterns lies a black and grey dullness, the hint of loneliness that constantly occurs throughout the collection.

Yuna's explanation about the painter made sense. Being an immortal is lonely and the loneliness would never end, sadly.

Well, I choose to end it. She takes a deep breath as her grip tightens. That's right. This will end soon and who knows, maybe I'll see you again on the other side.

-------

"Why are we here?" asks Yeji as she follows Ryujin inside the house. "I thought we were going shopping?"

"We are but we need to eat first and you said you wouldn't mind eating at my place," Ryujin says, heading to the kitchen. "Yuna and I attempted making naengmyun for the first time today."

"Oh? Where is she then?" Yeji opens the fridge in search of a cold can of soda.

"She's out, I think. She said she had to meet someone."

"Who?"

"I don't know. Her personal life is hers to lead. I'm not going to ask questions unless I have to."

Yeji takes out a can of coke and opens it. She then steps aside, leaning against the counter while watching Ryujin prepare their meal.

"You can wait in the living room if you want. It will take a few minutes to boil the noodles," Ryujin says.

"I'm fine right here."

"Okay then."

Once the noodles are ready, Ryujin opens the fridge, takes out the broth and toppings she and Yuna have prepared earlier, and starts assembling the dish.

Yeji thanks her with a kiss on the cheek and they decide to eat at the kitchen counter because both are too lazy to move to the dining table or the living room.

"This is good especially for your first attempt," praises Yeji.

"Thank you. I will tell Yuna."

"I'll do the dishes," offers Yeji after they've finished eating. She takes the empty bowls to the sink and turns on the water, ready to start her task.

"Leave it for later." Ryujin turns the tap off and pulls Yeji away from the sink. "Let's go shopping."

"Now?"

"Yes. Don't you want to go shopping?"

"I do but now that we're here, I'm too lazy to go out."

Ryujin chuckles when Yeji grabs her arm and pulls her towards the living room.

"Plus, I didn't get much sleep last night so I might nap first," adds Yeji.

"Why not?"

"I don't know. Just couldn't sleep." Yeji sits down on the couch then turns the TV on.

"I do like my comfy home better," says Ryujin, taking a seat next to Yeji. She lifts her arm when Yeji leans against her and drapes it around the other woman.

"It's cooler than walking around outside, for sure, but I still want to go shopping. Just... later." Yeji makes herself comfortable while switching the channel.

"What's your father doing?" Ryujin asks. The man wasn't there when she came to pick Yeji up.

"I don't know. Probably visiting his friends or something. He wants to have dinner with me tonight though so you have to bring me back by then."

"What if I refuse to do so? What if I decide to kidnap you and keep you locked in this house forever?" teases Ryujin with a smirk.

Yeji grins and turns her head. "As much as I like the idea, I don't think it's good for your health." She puts the remote down on the coffee table and turns around, climbing on Ryujin's lap, straddling her. "You might get hurt. Here." She leans down and presses her lips against Ryujin's neck.

Ryujin inhales, tilts her head and closes her eyes, letting Yeji pepper her neck with kisses. She holds her steady by the hips and winces when she feels her nip her skin. "Please be careful. If your father sees it-..."

"Then at least he knows that his daughter really likes you," says Yeji, her breath tickling Ryujin.

"Or he might assume that someone else is leaving these marks and that I'm cheating on you and we can all say goodbye to my head."

Yeji moves to look Ryujin in the eyes. "Why are you so afraid of him? He's not unreasonable."

"He's scary."

"He's probably just testing you."

"Still scary."

Yeji sits on Ryujin's lap. "Don't tell me that you've never dealt with parents of the person you're dating before?"

"I have but they were mortals and they couldn't hurt me."

"Dad won't hurt you either!"

"You'll never know. He knows things I don't. Maybe he has an immortal martial arts book somewhere."

"He's not like that. If those jerks could date me unscathed then I'm sure you'll be fine as well."

"I get the feeling that he knew that those jerks wouldn't last long so he simply waited until you saw them for who they really were and dumped them," Ryujin says. "Has he ever acted this scary to any of them?"

"He did it to every single one of them, as a matter of fact. None of them really cared much about it because they were dating me, not him." Yeji starts to frown, thinking that Ryujin is overreacting.

"That applies to me too but this isn't one of those 'let's see where it goes' kind of relationships." Ryujin takes hold of Yeji's hand and looks down at them. "I don't take this lightly. Yes, I want us to go with the flow but it's not easy to let someone in again and I did it in the hopes that that someone is here to stay. For a very long time. Do you understand?"

Yeji nods. "I get it but you really should relax. He's not going to break us up."

"He doesn't approve of us."

"Who told you that?"

"He did. Many times." Ryujin lifts her gaze. "Indirectly but I got the hint."

Yeji pulls her hands free, cups Ryujin's face and tilts her head, their eyes locked together. "I want this. I want you. And nothing he says or does will change my mind."

"I hope so."

"You don't believe me?"

Ryujin can see the change in Yeji's expression and quickly says, "I do! I believe you." She gives her an appeasing peck on the lips. "I really do, Yeddeong-ah."

Yeji still has her doubts but decides to set it aside. They can talk about this later. Right now, she just wants to enjoy her time alone with Ryujin.

She moves to sit sideways on Ryujin's lap, leaning against her while placing her head in the crook of Ryujin's neck. "Let's not talk about him, okay?"

"Okay." Ryujin wraps her one arm around Yeji while her other hand rests on the latter's knee.

She starts stroking the woman's thigh and leg absentmindedly as she watches TV, unaware that her touch is making Yeji restless.

"Jinnie."

"Hm?"

"Yuna's not here, right?"

"No. Why?" Ryujn turns her head to look at Yeji.

Yeji sits up, goes back to straddling Ryujin and starts kissing her.

On their way to the house, Ryujin had told Yeji about Yuna overhearing them and it was embarrassing for Yuna too so they made a promise not to do it when she's around.

"Y-Yeji..." mumbles Ryujin in between the assault on her lips although both her hands have started roaming up Yeji's body, squeezing and fondling along the way.

"Hm?"

"Let's... Um... go upstairs?"

"Hm."

Yeji lets go of Ryujin and gets off of her, heading towards the stairs with the other woman following close behind. She giggles when Ryujin hugs her from behind, kissing her shoulder as they make their way up the stairs. "Careful. I don't want you to fall down."

"I won't." Ryujin starts quickening her steps, urging Yeji to go faster.

She turns her around and kisses her the moment they step onto the landing while guiding her towards her room.

Not wanting to break their kiss, she blindly kicks the door shut behind her and pushes Yeji towards her bed.

The back of Yeji's legs hit the bed and she sits down, finally breaking the kiss. She laughs when she watches Ryujin undress in full speed, discarding her t-shirt and shorts to the ground. "Slow down."

"But what if Yuna comes back?"

"Then I guess we just have to keep it down."

"You have to keep it down. She said she heard you, not me."

"Fine, I'll keep it down now stop rushing."

"Too late. I'm done."

Yeji laughs and claps her hands, applauding the unclothed woman standing in front of her. "Now that has got to be a record." She takes her time admiring the slender figure, grinning when she sees Ryujin blushing a bit.

"Your turn. Arms up." Ryujin approaches Yeji then pulls at her t-shirt, taking it off of her in one swift movement.

"You're fast in undressing others too, huh?"

"Only those I want to undress." Ryujin unbuttons Yeji's shorts then gestures for her to move up the bed so she can take the garment off of her.

Yeji scoots up the bed, lies down and chuckles, still feeling shy when Ryujin unzips her shorts then pulls the denim down her legs. "Can you turn on the air conditioner? It's so hot in here."

"Okay." Ryujin rolls off the bed and takes the remote to turn on the air conditioner. Once she's done, she turns around to find Yeji stripped bare, lying on her bed, waiting. Her eyes widen and her jaw drops as she takes in the view, suppressing the urge to curse.

"Get over here," orders Yeji.

Ryujin closes her mouth and swallows, slowly crawling on the bed, trailing kisses from Yeji's foot all the way up her body until their lips meet.

"God, you're gorgeous," mumbles Ryujin, opening her eyes.

"So are you." Yeji combs Ryujin's hair back with her fingers, tucking it behind her ear. "I like your ear," she says, gently pinching the red shell.

"Thanks. I guess."

They grin at each other before Yeji leans up to kiss Ryujin while pulling her down with her arms. She doesn't want to waste too much time, afraid that Yuna would come home any minute.

She's right because less than an hour later, Yuna walks through the front door to see the TV still on and Yeji's phone on coffee table, next to the TV remote.

"Ah, Yeji unnie's here? Then I should just stay downstairs," she tells herself as she goes to the kitchen to grab herself a drink.

Then she decides to do the dishes to distract her mind from Chaeryeong and their short encounter today.

————————————————————

in line of chaeryeong aotm later (stream), here's another update

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.8K 1K 48
In a world plunged into chaos by a hellish apocalypse, amidst the hordes of the undead and the ever-present threat of annihilation, Ryujin must survi...
26.3K 2.1K 71
There are always reasons to everything.... After her disappearance, after everything that happened will they see each other again? A fanfic story wh...
104K 3.4K 25
{COMPLETED} This is Ryeji FF story 🔞⚠[WARNING: CONTAINS SEXY CONTENT AND BLOODY CONTENT] Yeji is a nurse..... One night While she was walking a mys...
58.8K 1.2K 23
(G!P) Ryujin meets her new hot neighbour, Yeji. Both hit it off immediately and things seem to fall into place...Or that's what it seems. As their lo...