SUNSTRUCK | outer banks ¹

By appetenxe

IN WHICH a runaway finds her safe haven extended description inside → season one ← → book one ← (...outer ban... More

SUNSTRUCK
ZERO. (runaway child)
ONE. (long time no see)
TWO. (new girl)
THREE. (hurricane rules)
FOUR. (power outage)
FIVE. (not an armed robbery)
SIX. (island breakdown)
SEVEN. (the boy with the gun)
EIGHT. (the cursed compass)
NINE. (nothing like bonding)
TEN. (heebie jeebies)
ELEVEN. (pogue status)
TWELVE. (the next steps)
THIRTEEN. (distraction game)
FOURTEEN. (midnight swimming)
FIFTEEN. (only friends)
SIXTEEN. (the start of nothing)
SEVENTEEN. (about last night)
EIGHTEEN. (somebody i used to know)
NINETEEN. (it might go down)
TWENTY. (second nature)
TWENTY ONE. (costume party)
TWENTY TWO. (mackin' sarah cameron)
TWENTY THREE. (body language)
TWENTY FOUR. (what the fuck was that for?)
TWENTY FIVE. (love just walked in)
TWENTY SIX. (jj's cousin's cripple)
TWENTY SEVEN. (axe murderer)
TWENTY EIGHT. (old habits)
TWENTY NINE. (good luck)
THRITY. (for whatever happens)
THIRTY ONE. (the ferry)
THIRTY TWO. (clearly you)
THIRTY FOUR. (i'll see you soon)
MOONLIGHT

THIRTY THREE. (sweetheart)

4.9K 117 16
By appetenxe

The stiffness of my back was enough to make me regret sleeping on the booth bench. I tried to stretch out, letting out a yawn as I did. I couldn't deny that I slept okay but at that moment I told myself I'd never sleep on a restaurant booth seat ever again, that is of course if it was never necessary.

    I was still tired but when I heard the revving engine outside I sat up, the restaurant being empty. I got up, wiping my eyes as I walked to the door. JJ turned at my presence and smiled, but I focused on Kiara as the girl yelled at Pope. "I'm trying to talk to you!" She yelled in desperation but the boy ignored her and sped off.

    "What happened?" I whispered, leaning into JJ's side. The boy chuckled before shrugging. "no clue" He told me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I looked up at the sound of helicopter blades whirring, confusion spreading throughout the three of us. We watched as the helicopter passed right above us.

    "who's that?" JJ asked, and each of us shared a look. "that's a good sign, right? It means he hasn't been found, right?" My question was more of a plea as I looked between the two, the last bit of hope ready to leave my eyes.

    "Yeah," Kiara reassured me, walking up the steps to hug me.

    I was distracted as I loaded some of the produce into the box, the sound around me drowned out by my panicked thoughts. I couldn't help him and I felt hopeless.

    "You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?" JJ asked, taking the jar from my hands and packing it. "it wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation" Kiara responded, stepping over with a loaf of bread.

    "Is that enough food for them?" Kiara asked and I looked up.

    "them?" I questioned, looking at JJ beside me whose face dropped. "uh, Sarah and John B" Kiara clarified, looking at me with sad eyes. "right" I nodded, looking away from the two.

    "but uh, yeah this should be enough food for a couple of weeks." JJ confirmed, grabbing the bag and swinging it onto his shoulder.

    "Look I think I really hurt his feelings," Kiara said, changing the subject back to her and Pope. "Well he is like in love with you," I told her as I looked back at the two.

    "I hate to admit it but I miss the old Pope" Kiara voiced as we walked out of the restaurant. "at least I knew what to expect from him" She let out, and before I could register what was happening, Anna, Kiara's mom ran up.

    "Where have you been?" Anna asked, looking at her daughter. "uh, I'm fine. We slept here" Kiara explained. I turned away, grabbing the box from JJ's hands and loading it into Kiara's car.

    "what the hell are you three up to?" Anna looked between us, landing back on her daughter. "I'm sorry, Miss Anna, we gotta go," JJ said and he and I backed away, rounding the car to get in.

    "no, I'm sorry. Absolutely not, have you heard what's going on?" Anna's words were filled with a worried tone but Kiara couldn't not do this.

    "This is not safe, these cops are armed Kiara. You gonna get yourself shot" Her mom was practically begging her not to go. "Mom, John B needs me!" Kiara yelled at her mom.

     "i'll be careful" Kiara cried out, trying to ignore her mom banging on the door. She continued to cry out sorry as she drove off.

    The drive to JJ's house was silent. It wasn't an awkward silence, just one that each of us needed. There was just so much happening all at once and I welcomed the time I had to think.

    "home sweet home" JJ sarcastically let out, looking at the house as we pulled up. "Do you want me to come, or Elle?" Kiara asked, both of us watching him shake his head.

    "This will only take a second," He told us, stepping out of the car and walking up the steps before disappearing behind the door.

    "Elle?" Kiara's voice was quiet but I looked up from the backseat. "Are you okay?" Kiara asked, turning back to look at me. "I will be, once John B gets on that boat and gets to the gold, safe," I told her and Kiara smiled.

    I knew that wasn't what Kiara meant when she asked if I was okay but I was trying to keep my feelings out of it at the moment. John B was dating Sarah, so of course, she's the one going on the Phantom with him.

    "So, Pope?" I asked and Kiara scoffed, rolling her eyes at me. "no pogue on pogue macking" Kiara told me and I laughed. "is that your excuse?" My question made Kiara bite her cheek.

     "he's my friend, I couldn't take the chance and then ruin that. We have the no pogue on pogue rule for a reason" Kiara sighed, her glance shooting to the door when she heard it open.

    "how'd it go?" Kiara asked, my eyes trained on the boy. Kiara started the engine and instead of words, JJ just held his hand up, the keys resting on his fingers.

    I shifted in my spot so I could reach JJ, placing my hand on his arm. An action that made the boy weakly smile at me.

    The drive was almost as silent as the first but this time there was a lingering feeling of nervousness, something each of us could pick up on. It was almost suffocating how anxious I was.

    "It'll be fine, it'll be fine with the Phantom. She'll get out of here quick" JJ told us, the sound of silence and the cop cars racing towards us making JJ's eyes widen. "whoa, whoa, whoa" He let out, ducking his head slightly as the multiple vehicles passed.

    "they're still looking. It's a good sign" Kiara reassured us, and also herself as she continued to drive down the road.

    "There she is, hey girl" JJ let out, talking to the boat. Kiara and I instantly looked at each other, trying not to laugh.

    "A 1983 formula 402 SR1. The phantom" He turned to look at us and we quickly composed ourselves and gave him a quick nod. "The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under 16 hours ladies. Forty years old, Forty and it's still the fastest thing that Kildare's ever seen." He explained, gushing over the boat.

    "It's kind of a junker," Kiara added, her comment forcing me to bite back my laugh. "really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you." He told the girl, none of this helped me as I was on the verge of a laughing fit.

    "as long as she runs" Kiara argued, walking with Laney as the two checked out the boat. "She'll run Kie, She's faster than any cutters the boys in blue got." JJ defended

    The sound of a motorcycle approaching made Kiara sigh in relief. "Pope finally!" She let out, making her way to the exit. I stayed next to JJ and helped him with the boat.

    "Hey there. What's going on?" Rafe's voice made JJ and I. "JJ, how you guys doing?" Rafe continued and when his eyes fell on me he smirked.

    When Barry came in, I knew it was about to become a shit show. "Well, well" Barry let out, stepping closer as Rafe did too, the boys in front of and behind Kiara, JJ and I.

    I turned and looked at Rafe, who stood smirking and smiling like a maniac behind me. It was the sound of a gun cocking that finally made me turn around, met with the view of Barry holding a gun to JJ's chest

    "you don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my mother fuckin' money!" Barry yelled before jumping on JJ, both Kiara and I getting pulled back by Rafe.

    "JJ!" I let out. Rafe yelled at us asking where John B was and when Kiara slapped the boy, he got angrier. I shoved the boy back before turning to Kiara. "go, get Pope!" I yelled to the girl and even though Kiara didn't want to leave me there, she ran to find the boy.

    "Why do you have to make things hard?" Rafe asked after I shoved my knee into his stomach to make sure Kiara could run out. He reached for my wrist and squeezed, making me cry out in pain. "oh, sweetheart, is something wrong with your wrist?" He mocked as he twisted harder.

    "Where is John B?" He yelled, I shut my eyes and clenched my jaw hard. The pain from my wrist spread through my body. "I don't know!" I screamed out, ripping my wrist from his hold, not focusing on how much pain I was currently in, I couldn't be unfocused here.

    I shoved him back and kicked at his knee, sending him to the ground. Rafe's hand wrapped around my ankle and pulled, sending me down too. I moved my hands to block my fall but when I put weight on my left wrist I screamed out in agony, something that distracted JJ long enough for him to lose his advantage.

    "One last time sweetheart, where is John B?!" Rafe was now hovering over me, his hands pinning me down. I spat in his face and brought my knee up to his stomach.

    I stood, trying to get to JJ and Barry but was quickly shoved against the boat, hard. I whimpered as my back hit the object and he took the time to wrap his hands around my neck.

     His grip was tight and I felt lightheaded, it was beginning to be nearly impossible to breathe and I started to freak out. Rafe pulled me away from the boat and then quickly slammed me back into it.

    I couldn't open my eyes, or move, but I could hear. I could hear all of the screaming and grunts of pain coming from the boys. "Come on Elle" Kiara cried out.

    "Elle!" The girl's screams began to fade and it began very hard for me to stay awake. I was too tired to fight it, and I wondered if Bianca had felt the same way. Was I dying? Is this what dying felt like?

    And at that moment I swore I could hear Bianca calling my name.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.3K 1.4K 45
𝙎𝙚𝙡𝙘𝙤𝙪𝙩𝙝 (𝙣.) 𝙪𝙣𝙛𝙖𝙢𝙞𝙡𝙞𝙖𝙧, 𝙧𝙖𝙧𝙚, 𝙨𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙣𝙜𝙚, 𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙮𝙚𝙩 𝙢𝙖𝙧𝙫𝙚𝙡𝙡𝙤𝙪𝙨 𝙤𝙧 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙙 𝙝𝙚𝙖𝙧...
529K 5K 61
Ashley moved to Outer Bank from Australia when she was 14 with her abusive and alcoholic dad. 2 years later and she is 16 and has found herself being...
97.7K 1.1K 27
˗ˏˋ THE POGUE PRINCESS ˎˊ˗ amelia blossom just wanted to enjoy her summer with her best friends, instead, they go treasure hunting for some gold that...
499K 9.2K 34
✯✯ "𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝐦𝐲 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞. 𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐫." -𝐋𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐚 𝐋𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐬 (𝐑𝐮�...