SEVEN. (the boy with the gun)

My body seemed to ache when I woke up

My body seemed to ache when I woke up. I felt sore and winced at the bright light that shined through the window in my room. When I finally began to remember the events of last night, I felt dizzy. I couldn't believe I had watched it happen.

    I cursed at myself because of how much I was starting to like the pogues. I was getting too attached. So when I felt the sudden need to go over and see if John B was okay I screamed into my pillow. I knew better than to get attached to people.

    The sun, although I tried, would not 'shut off'. The light continued to blind me as I woke up. I felt relatively fine but I couldn't get what happened off my mind. How Topper almost killed John B. The fact that maybe stupidly, I got involved in a fight because someone I had only met that day was in it.

    I watched how much John B struggled under Topper's grasp and how he choked up water after being let go. He could've died. And then there was JJ, and I truly didn't know how to feel about what had happened there. Part of me felt like I knew exactly why he did it. I was protective of the people in my life too. But in the same token, he had a gun to someone's head. Could he have pulled the trigger?

    The thoughts played over and over again in my mind as I took the longboard and started off to 'The Wreck'. I finally remembered what the restaurant Sam worked at was called and even though it wasn't a big thing, I was a very forgetful person when it came to certain things.

    The ride was peaceful, the calm wind blew through my hair and I felt comfortable. When I closed my eyes it felt like nothing could touch me, like I was invincible. I felt light, like my body had no weight to it and even though something crazy had happened the day before I felt carefree.

    When I got to the wreck, I sat on one of the stools by the front. I wasn't sure if Sam was working or on a break by now but I decided I might as well get something to eat. "hi what can I get you to, oh hi" I looked up and was greeted with Kiara's smiling face. "your brother is just in the back. I can grab him if you want," She suggested, using her head to point to the kitchen.

    "no, it's fine, uh can I just get a fry?" I asked and Kiara nodded, "no problem"

    "How much is that?" I began reaching for my wallet but Kiara stopped me. "No way Laney, it's on the house" I smiled wide at the girl and thanked her.

    "so, last night was crazy huh?" Kiara said, walking around the counter and gesturing for me to follow her. The two of us walked over to a table and sat down. We talked about the night before and Kiara told me about the body the cops found in the marsh.

    "Wait, so that motel room was a dead guy's?" I felt gross, cringing at the thought. "yeah, I guess he went out during the storm, really stupid of him" Kiara said, stealing a few fries from my plate.

    Kiara couldn't stay much longer, her dad came out and told her to get back to work. Although I wasn't sitting alone for long. "Hey Elle" JJ's loud voice boomed as he slid in across from me.