War Of Men

By hopefulgoat

(Currently being edited) ~ Book 1 of the Esprian Novels ~ In the kingdom of Cines, legends speak of five spir... More

♤ s t o r y ♤
Prologue
Kaya
Emilee
Kaya
Arcane
Emilee
Kaya
Merari
Arcane
Kaya
Arcane
Emilee
Merari
Kaya
Merari
Arcane
Kaya
Arcane
Merari
Emilee
Arcane
Kaya
Emilee
Merari
Arcane
Merari
Kaya
Epilogue
♤ o t h e r ♤
Teaser
The Eseterrians
Form
Information
Extra Information
A/N - Info
A/N - Build-A-Bear-I-Mean-Kid
A/N - Book Two

Emilee

52 6 50
By hopefulgoat

Mirja's fingers nimbly weaved Emilee's hair into an elaborate updo. The longer she continued, the clumsier she got. This wasn't down to her own incompetence, but rather due to Ela's inability to keep her criticisms to herself.

'You needed to part the hair more centrally, you're making her look like a badly drawn oval.'

'This style doesn't work with her hair texture. No, not at all.'

'The style isn't mature enough, she looks like a girl being presented at court for the first time.'

'That was part of our thinking,' said Emilee. 'The ball celebrates the arrival of all the Eseterrians. It rather reminds me of coming out into society.'

'You're twenty-seven, not a maiden trying to sell her sunburnt cheeks as a healthy glow. Don't you want something, I don't know, more suitable?' Ela waved her hands, trying to settle on the best word. She frowned at the end, still not satisfied.

'Ela, I value your opinion, truly, but Mirja and I like it and when we showed it to Lavia, she described me as a "cute little lamb".' Emilee couldn't suppress her smile.

Ela grimaced. 'I'm not sure that's a good thing.'

Emilee rolled her eyes. 'Stop being so paranoid, for Gadeden's sake.'

'Speaking of paranoia, Lady Shanell hit her husband on the head with a book because she thought he was a robber,' Ela filled her in with a wicked smile.

Emi gasped. 'I guess love really does make you blind.'

'I doubt it. I bet she's been wanting to do that for years now, just finally got an excuse.'

'Ela!'

Ela showed no shame and just grinned deviously while rubbing a bit of red lipstick on Emilee's lips.

Mirja managed to finish Emilee's hair without anymore criticism, then left the room. The moment the door opened, Lavia danced in, making Emilee jump.

'Can't you ask first?' Ela grumbled.

'Oh, Emi doesn't mind, does she?'

'Not at all,' Emilee awkwardly responded. She would actually prefer it if Lavia knocked, but she was scared that would make Lavia think she didn't love her.

'Ah, there are so many people I need to introduce you to this evening. There's a few of my relatives, then a load of my childhood friends and then—'

Ela cut her off. 'Actually, Lavia, I was planning on spending some time with my sister this evening. After all, if you hoard all her free time, it's only fair I get to spend time with her at the ball.'

'You've had years with her, I'm just trying to make up for the fact I didn't meet her sooner.'

'Sounds to me like you want to monopolise her,' Ela remarked. 'You know what; we shouldn't boss Emi around. She can make her own decision.'

'Well, uh, I'd happily spend time with both of you.' Emilee bit her lip, readying herself for the response that was to follow.

'I really doubt your sister wants to meet all the family members. Besides, it would be rather confusing for them to meet identical twins,' claimed Lavia.

To both of their surprise, Ela didn't insult Lavia. 'I suppose not.'

Emi felt terrible now that Ela seemed to have given up. She reached for Ela's hand, but her twin just slipped out of the room. Emi longed to run after her, but Lavia had already started talking again.

'My, she has a flair for the dramatic. Still, I'm glad she accepted that it's just one night. You two could just as easily chat tomorrow.'

Emi squeezed her hands between her legs. 'I don't want her to think I don't care about her...'

'Why should she? It's perfectly normal to prioritise your romantic partner over a sibling. That's why family households drift apart while lovers close a union for life,' stated Lavia dismissively. 'Now, let's get that red off your lips.'

Emilee longed to ask Lavia not to, but was scared of upsetting her so she remained silent. To be honest, the red had been too bold for her, though the pink replacement didn't quite feel right either. Still, Ela and Lavia knew better, she was sure of that.

Not long after, she and Lavia parted ways. Emilee made her way through endless hallways, unsure whether this was anywhere near the right direction. She'd never been to the royal living quarters, but the Eseterrians had been invited for a dinner before the ball.

Six guards stood in front of a door, but stepped aside when they saw Emilee. She hesitated, then knocked gently. The guards seemed to think it was the right room. She heard an 'enter' so opened the door.

After years in the palace and months as an Eseterrian, Emilee hadn't realised the palace could still impress her. The room was dark and elegant. The wall was painted red, but with ornate patterns that rather reminded Emilee of people. A three tier chandelier hung from the ceiling, the gold wiring twisting like branches with birds sat on them. The dining table was long and of excellent craftsmanship, the names of all the Chukwuemeka kings engraved in the side. Emilee couldn't help but stand still for a moment in an attempt to take it all in.

'Yes, Steffen Davril did a splendid job,' Idi Chukwuemeka contently stated.

That made Emilee gasp in amazement. Steffen Davril was one of Cines' greatest artists and architects and he'd lived approximately three hundred years prior. Emilee adored his work, he usually painted hyperrealistic estates and interiors. Naturally Emilee knew he'd been commissioned for some of the palace's rooms, but actually getting to dine in one was like a dream come true.

By the time she'd calmed down a bit, Merari and Arcane had entered. They both curtsied, reminding Emilee that her excitement had made her forget to. Could she catch it up now? Probably not.

'Your Majesty, it's an honour to dine here again. Is that a new table cloth?' queried Merari.

'It was a birthday present, all the way from Kavei,' Queen Rashida informed her.

'Our national products are far better,' bickered the king.

The queen rolled her eyes. 'I only requested we use it once. Besides, with Kavei's weavers' international reputation, we could easily add it to Akwokwe's dowry and even pretend it has a greater national value since we had the first meal with our current Eseterrians using it.'

Idi's demeanour softened at the proposition and he glanced at his daughter. 'There's still plenty of time before we need to think about that.'

'Knowing you, you'll only start thinking about it in ten year's time when she's already saying her vows.'

He clasped his wife's hand. 'I know I have a wife that can do all of that far better than I ever could.'

Emilee smiled to herself, touched by their affection. Even politically advantageous marriages could be full of love. She'd have to mention that to Ela soon, she wanted Ela to find the happiness she had with Lavia rather than trying to boost her position by marrying a wealthy jerk.

Soon all five Eseterrians were seated, as was the Chèr. Emilee felt rather out of place and only spoke when directly asked a question, which was rare. They usually came from Sutoku who made sure she and Sabrina weren't left out completely. However, soon the conversation shifted to a topic they had little to say about: the imminent war.

'I assume the spirits mentioned nothing at the Primracon, otherwise you would have told me,' checked the king.

'The spirits didn't even mention it as far as I've been told. They were more preoccupied with finding our former Eseterrians' murderer,' explained the Chèr.

'Good,' hummed the king.

'Why good? Nancy said the Vrail vendor couldn't have killed the Chèr and now the spirits are strongly implying that the culprit still lurks among us,' snapped Kaya.

Emilee fixed her gaze on her porcelain plate, unable to muster the courage to see Idi Chukwuemeka's response.

'Who is this Nancy?' queried the king.

The Chèr grew rather flustered. 'Your Majesty, you know that my father had some... Questionable attitudes towards certain religious customs.'

'I believe I hear about them near everyday from priests angling for your position.' Even Emilee couldn't ignore the undertone in his voice. The king was reminding the Chèr that he was at Idi's mercy.

The Chèr didn't let himself be perturbed. 'Nancy was one of those little scandals he held so dear. According to her, they spent the entire day together, a believable claim, considering her current physical position.'

'What are you saying?'

Princess Akwokwe glanced up. 'I think he's implying that she's pregnant.'

'It is true, father,' spoke Sutoku. 'The Chèr came to me to arrange lodgings while she stayed for a few days, during which we arranged for her to visit a midwife to confirm her suspicions. We didn't tell the midwife any information except for that it was a suspected pregnancy and her estimation of the date of conception would back up Nancy's claims, although such an estimation always has a few weeks leeway.'

'And why didn't you share this with me?'

'Nancy's claim only affects the previous Chèr, should they be true, and as we know, he had quite a few rivals—not quite as many as his successor though.' Sutoku winked at the Chèr. The gesture was not appreciated.

'But the spirits are convinced the culprit's around!' argued Kaya.

'And do the spirits name a culprit? We do value your input, as must we respect the spirits, but they have shown no opposition to the war. Based on our intelligence reports, the vendor could still be in Cines. Maybe they fear an attack during the pilgrimage?' suggested Sutoku.

'But... Sabrina, what did Goece say?' Kaya's ears flattened in desperation.

'I don't pretend to understand half of what goes on here,' admitted Sabrina. 'Though my understanding is that we should simply stay on guard. She said time would reveal the killer, not perseverance. I am not sure, but I believe that could mean we should simply continue as we would, but rely on caution as our ally.'

'Precisely,' responded Idi. 'When spirits have opposed our plans in the past, they've never hesitated to make it known. To ensure we appease them, the declaration can wait until after the pilgrimage. We still need time to fully mobilise our forces and train them to use those new firearms.'

'Not to mention, by then Avi will have committed a new offence at the rate things have been going,' added Sutoku.

Kaya opened her mouth to argue again, but Rashida rose from her seat. 'As lovely as this has been, I believe there are people awaiting a ball.' Her demeanour was calm and she was soon copied by her children.

As they left, Emilee overheard Sutoku patting Kaya on the back and saying, 'Please, don't hold my views on the matter against me. I appreciate your passion and understand your grievances, but I'm just supporting what I believe to be best for my country.'

The Eseterrians let the royal family past so that they could lead, which corresponded with their position in the nation. In reality, two guards went ahead in case there was any attempt on their lives.

'Imagine being flanked by guards your whole life,' Emilee whispered to Sabrina, who was next to her.

'I believe that's our life too now,' Arcane quietly reminded her.

Emilee flushed slightly and decided not to speak again until she was with people who wouldn't judge her.

They entered the royal ballroom through a door Emilee had never noticed before. Then again, she'd rarely been inside due to her lowly position at court. She realised the rest of her life may well be filled with discovering the palace's many secrets.

The king and queen sat down on their thrones, the latter spreading her gold brocade skirts tastefully. Sutoku positioned himself next to his father. Akwokwe simply kissed her parents on the cheeks and bade them goodnight. The princess was still young and her nights spent dancing were still to come in later years.

The Chèr led them to the door, arranging them like books. 'Sabrina, you first, then Emilee, Kaya, you next—'

'What kind of order is this?' Kaya raised an eyebrow.

'Not alphabetical, nor in order of height nor age. Not even a rainbow,' said Merari.

'It's in the order of the spirits in the creation myth, which you should all know,' the Chèr retorted. 'Merari, you're last, than Arcane between you and Kaya.'

He took a step back to admire his creation. Each girl had been fitted with a gown in their spirit's respective colour for the ceremony. They'd had no say over the design, although Emilee wasn't about to complain. The shape was that of a typical ballgown. Each girl's main material was a pale shade of the colour, though the multiple layers in the bodice created a more saturated tone. The bodice and the top of the skirt were embroidered with appropriate symbols. Sabrina's blue gown had geometric patterns, Emilee's yellow one little suns and swirls. Kaya's orange dress had flames, leaves, water droplets and swirls, Arcane's green frock moons, stars, suns and clocks and Merari's red outfit was embroidered with little hearts.

He quickly spoke a general compliment to them, then snuck out to fetch their guard. Before they knew it, they were safely guarded and the doors were thrown open.

Streams of people flooded in, threatening to drown the Eseterrians completely. Each individual eagerly greeted each girl, rambling about how they were their saviours and how they were a devout Esprian. Those in one of the girl's circles were more relaxed, the coloured embellishments on their white gowns a symbol of their social position. There were more with yellow than any other colour, Emilee realised, the fewest with Arcane's green.

Nearly an hour was spent at the door, trying to please all the guests that were eager to meet them. Emilee realised she'd probably been too optimistic in expecting to have even a minute to spend with those she cared about most. But then Lavia entered in a bright yellow dress. Medea, who had appeared without Emilee noticing, frowned.

'Did she even ask the Chèr first? Or you?'

'No but... Why should it be a problem?' Emilee questioned.

Medea sighed. 'She's trying to make a statement. That she's with you, more than anyone else here.'

Emilee blushed. 'Wow, she really...' Emilee's heart fluttered. Clearly Lavia loved her more than she'd realised.

Medea's frown grew and she wandered off when Lavia approached the Eseterrians.

'That's one bold statement,' said Merari.

'Do you like it?' Lavia's peered at Emilee shyly. 'Flynn said it would be fine, but now I'm not so sure.'

Flynn glared at her and skulked off. Emilee made a mental note to get to know him better and try to settle whatever rift she may have caused.

'It's perfect,' she reassured Lavia. 'Sorry that we won't get much time together. People have been arriving for an hour straight...'

'Well, if they come that late, it's their own fault.' Lavia wrapped her arm around Emilee's waste, practically dragging her away. 'Come on, there are loads of family members waiting to meet you.'

'But what about-'

'It's your ball, you should be able to have fun!' Lavia declared.

Lavia steered Emilee through the ballroom. To her surprise, nobody approached them. It seemed people in this court respected the right of two lovers to some alone time.

They stopped in front of a small girl who could only be fifteen. She had mousey brown hair that was tied back rather simply and wore a frock that accentuated her petite form.

'This is my cousin, Caela. She's new to court and is essentially here to be auctioned like a desk while she's still young,' said Lavia.

Emilee gasped. 'That's outrageous. Can't you convince her parents otherwise?'

'My family has wealth, not a title and it only stretches to the four of us. My aunt and uncle have no such position, so they're using us as a window and trying to sell her off now, while she's still pretty. They've been rigid too, altering her documentation so that she's now officially eighteen.'

'But there must be something we can do to stop them.'

'Please don't fret about me, Ponyèva...' said Caela.

'I asked her parents, but they're insistent: She must have a position at court.' Lavia pulled her cousin close, giving her a tight squeeze. 'It's terrible what some girls go through.'

The idea of standing aside with the knowledge of what that poor girl was going through appalled Emilee. So, she verbalised the only idea she had. 'I could see about getting her a place in my circles. Then maybe...'

Lavia's eyebrows shot up and Caela released herself from her cousin's grip to marvel at the Eseterrian.

'You'd do that?' said Lavia. 'My spirits, you really are too good for this world.'

Emilee's face went pink. 'It's only what any decent person would do.'

Caela thanked her profusely, making Emilee feel rather self-conscious. Before Emilee could request the kid refrained from doing so, Lavia steered her off.

'Next up is-'

'Uncle Roger,' Flynn chimed in, appearing out of nowhere.

'What are you doing here?' Lavia scowled.

'Well, I thought I'd come along to see our good old uncle.'

'We don't need a thirdwheel.'

'Oh, I don't plan on thirdwheeling,' he responded. 'My fiancée will be coming along.'

'Fiancée? You expect me to believe that?' Lavia glared at him. 'What's going on here?'

Emilee was thrown off-guard by Lavia's downright nastiness, so she decided to try to brighten the mood. 'Congratulations. I look forward to meeting the lucky girl.'

'You've actually already met her. In fact, I'm suprised she didn't tell you yourself.'

'It's only been an hour, Flynn.'

Emilee's throat went dry. She hadn't been sure who to expect based on his comments, but it certainly hadn't been her sister. Her sister, whom she knew for a fact, wasn't attracted to men.

'Miss Sato.' Lavia sounded just as shocked as she was. Her gaze returned to Flynn, running up and down him. 'I knew you were friendly but... Marriage? You haven't even courted.'

'Some marriages are settled without courtship, I believe the Minkas could tell you something about that since you're always hanging around the Eseterrians,' remarked Elanora. 'Besides, why precede a mutually beneficial marriage with a long and dreary courtship? Anybody with half a brain wouldn't be fooled, though I must say, your family is full of good actors and liars.'

'Flynn, what—'

'—lovely news it is, I know,' he finished for Lavia. 'Show them the engagement necklace. Cost a fortune and bound to make plenty of people jealous.'

Ela pulled a chain out from under the high neck of her pale yellow dress. It was white, neigaurum—an extremely valuable and rare material—with dozens of little gemstones in various colours and a long slender piece of citrine down the centre. It was shaped like a butterfly. Emi knew Ela would have loved it, she loved anything that was flashy and expensive. But money couldn't replace love.

'Ela... Can we talk?'

Ela shot Flynn an ambiguous look, then led Emilee a bit away. 'Yes?'

'What are you doing?' hissed Emilee, though there was no malice in her tone. Just upset and frustration.

'I think the proper term is securing my future,' responded Ela.

'With someone you don't love?'

'With someone who can guarantee that my financial problems are history.'

'But... Look at the king and queen. We all know that was a political marriage, but there's love there. You can have love too. You deserve love too.' Emilee grasped Ela's hand and gripped it tightly.

'Emi, I don't think you understand. There's not time to find my "one true love". I am close to ruin and I'm not getting any younger either. Being an Eseterrian may be a blessing for you and I'm thrilled for you, and in part it's beneficial for me too, but as useful as my rise in station may be, the price is great. Keeping up appearances as an Eseterrian's twin is costly and you know we were already struggling to make ends meet without having to constantly buy new dresses. Flynn has money and—thanks to you—I have the social standing he's lacking.'

Emilee squeezed her sister's hand tightly. 'I'll talk to the Chèr, I'm sure—'

Elanora wiggled her hand out of Emi's grip. 'Emi, as sweet as that is, I don't want to depend on you and the institutions. I'm an Esprian who wants to support them, not be a professional leech.'

'But—'

'No. Besides, you support Lavia with it.'

'What are you on about?'

Emilee jumped when she felt an arm around her back.

'Miss Sato, I must congratulate and apologise to you. You too, Emilee, I'm sorry for my little outburst earlier. I was merely shocked, as you must understand,' Lavia said. 'After all, it is rather sudden.'

'Your mask slipped there,' Ela cooly remarked.

'I don't know what you're talking about,' responded Lavia.

'Oh, we both know full well what you're doing. Flynn told me everything, not that I needed that. As I'm currently proving, we're cut from the same wood. At least I'm honest with your twin though, but I guess it would ruin your plans to show my sister the same courtesy.'

'I don't know what you're implying but... I know I'm flawed. If I am causing any pain, I'll leave.'

'Ah, so you figured that little trick out too. Flynn was right, you're a little—'

Emilee stormed off. This had been meant to be one of the best evenings of her life, but Ela and Lavia were bickering again. It drove her mad that the two people she loved most in the world couldn't even try to get on. If only Lili were still alive... The old school mistress would have lectured them about pulling themselves together for Emilee's sake. Anytime Emilee tried to get them to stop, they tried to make her pick a side.

People tried to talk to her, but Emilee ignored them for once, pushing past. Couldn't they see she was distraught? Ela and Lavia always told her she wore her heart on her sleeve; the former told her to fix it, the latter encouraged it. In fact, Lavia always complimented her, always told her to stay as she was. Ela was doom and gloom, prophecising attempts to exploit her fragility. Tonight, Emilee was sick of both.

By the time she'd left the ballroom, Lavia had caught up with her. The honey-skinned woman squeezed her hand. 'I'm sorry,  I wish Ela didn't hate me so... Many a time I've requested she pulls herself together for your sake, but she just scoffs. I assume it's because... Well, because she's jealous of what we have. I love you with all my heart, you're like oxygen to me—though if you want me to leave, all you have to do is ask.' The words hung in the air like electricity.

Emilee let out the deep sigh. 'I don't want you to leave. Not ever.'

Lavia gave her a tight smile, then speculated, 'Regarding your sister... She's only got a fiancé who's after her status. It's unsurprising if she projects that onto me.'

'I just wish I could speak sense into her... Give her a reason she can't refuse...'

Lavia nodded pensively. Within seconds, her eyes lit up.

'She's a devout Esprian, so if we can find arguments in the sacred texts, we could surely change her mind. In fact, I'm sure there's something of the sort in Sorita's myths.' Her grin ate up her face. 'Come on!'

Lavia moved so quickly, Emilee had to run after her to keep up. A laugh escaped her sadness as her inner storm began to break. As unpleasant as the circumstances were, she couldn't help but feel like a young girl in love, racing through hidden hallways.

By the time she'd caught up to Lavia, the brunette had already unlocked the door to the Esprian library. Emilee wondered where she'd got the key from, but she wasn't about to investigate that. Lavia was already heading through.

And so hours passed paging through books, collecting examples. Lavia had been right, Sorita often encouraged love, though she also contradicted herself by seeking affairs. The spirit's personality was inconsistent, as if it encompassed all different souls and personalities.

'Emilee...'

Emilee glanced up in anticipation. 'Have you found something?'

'I'm not sure what I've found...' Lavia traced her hand over the page.

She read:

'At the start there was nothing
No world of which to sing
Until there cometh Goece
The spirit who formed space

'But in this giant empty room
Had settled an unnerving gloom
Until there cometh Ellux
The spirit who bore light

'Now they looked at their creation
But felt no invigoration
Until there cometh Toutelé
Who created four elements

'They observed their world from great height
But soon bored of the changeless sight
Until there cometh Gadeden
The spirit who made time

'Now all was beautiful but shallow
A world of wonder but still hollow
Until there cometh Sorita
The spirit who gave soul

'And since that day, Lypera's thrived
We've greeted many days arrived
Until there cometh Detruienn
Who'll bring about each end.'

Emilee's initial confusion at Lavia having been thrown off by the creation myth was replaced by the edginess left by the final verse.

'A sixth spirit? But...' Emilee frowned. 'Not just that, one who'll end the world...?'

Lavia grimaced. 'I'd like to think it's fake, I'm sure it is, just... Looking at the further myths, there are several further mentions of her in this book. She even has her own myths. "Detruienn, the destroyer."'

'I don't know, maybe somebody got it into their head that there was a sixth spirit. After all, if there really was one, wouldn't they claim an Eseterrian or something?' Emilee mused.

'I don't know, maybe the Voire is... Maybe her future vision isn't a gift from Gadeden, but this sixth spirit sharing destruction with her. And... Have you ever noticed how abrupt the normal ending is? "We'll worship our five spirits/Until the end of time"... It doesn't even rhyme and flows weirdly...' Lavia said.

'I remember that Ela used to complain about the sloppiness of the end...' Emilee mumbled. 'But what should we do about it?'

Lavia closed the book carefully, then met Emilee's eyes. 'The best thing we can do: put it in the Chèr's office.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 13.9K 37
**BOOK II OF THE FOUR REALMS SERIES** When war came for Azura, Fara of Calate lost everything. Her husband, her new home, her freedom. When her capt...
2.1K 630 25
Andy thinks he's lost forever when his aunt's chimney transports him and his dog, Chip, into the magical world of Emerraine. To get home, he must sav...
16.4K 1.3K 91
||Book 1 of the Diamond Series|| The world had fallen into chaos a long time ago. Creatures came and enslaved the human race: Vampires, Lycans/Werewo...
212 20 25
(Note: This is currently a first draft.) Lucy is stuck in a rut. With a boring job, no friends and no prospective future, she feels doomed to live a...