ALICE

By Firdosefk

Alice in wonderland? Knave of hearts? No, not the story you are familiar with. Alice Vincent is not an ordina... More

PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1- GHOST SQUAD
CHAPTER 2- TIME TICKS FORWARD
CHAPTER 3- UNEXPECTED GUEST
CHAPTER 4- A PROMISE IN THE DARK
CHAPTER 5- KNAVE
CHAPTER 6- BIRTHDAY
CHAPTER 8- SHADOW
CHAPTER 9- GIFT
CHAPTER 10- BOUND
CHAPTER 11- GOOD WITCH
CHAPTER 12- MENDALINE
CHAPTER 13- MARIA
CHAPTER 14- POWERS
CHAPTER 15- ONE STEP CLOSER
CHAPTER 16- RESPONSIBILITY
CHAPTER 17- CHARITY
CHAPTER 18- FUN
CHAPTER 19- TRAPPED SOULS
CHAPTER 20- LOYALTY
CHAPTER 21- DECEPTION
CHAPTER 22- LOSS
CHAPTER 23- TRUTH UNFOLDS
CHAPTER 24- SAVIOUR
CHAPTER 25- GOODBYE
EPILOGUE
WRITER'S NOTE!!!

CHAPTER 7- TRUST

36 6 4
By Firdosefk

"KNAVE!" Alice shouted, cupping her hands around her mouth.

Knave appeared before her in a second. His eyes lit up the moment he saw her, his expression unreadable. Then very quickly, he changed his expression to an amused one.

 "Did you run away from your house in hope of marrying me?" Knave asked, a wide grin on his face.

"What?" Asked Alice, forgetting everything in her confusion.

With a hand, he indicated her dress. "You look like a poor bride!" He remarked.

Alice realized with a jolt, what a ridiculous thing she had done by running into the woods in the middle of the night, fully dressed in a beautiful gown, now muddy and torn, just to call out a ghost who seemed more than happy to live with only himself.

What was she doing? She had rushed out without thinking twice, but it was too late now and there was no turning back.

Alice eyed him. "You are seriously under a huge misconception! I am only dressed because it is my birthday." She informed.

Knave looked surprised. "And you decided to spend your birthday by running around in the woods late at night, calling out for handsome ghosts?" He paused. "Though I doubt there are any handsome ghosts, save me of course!" He added as an afterthought. Alice opened her mouth to answer, but he cut her off, "Actually, I should not be surprised. You seem to spend most of your time in the woods. I am only confused as to why I did not see you before!"

Alice took a deep breath. "Look, I came here because I think I might have a way to help you!"

Knave looked at her. "By bringing me some cake, perhaps?" He almost sounded hopeful.

Alice made an impatient sound. "No, but by getting you out of these woods!" She said, sounding more confident than she felt.

Alice had no idea what she was talking about, but for some reason, she had a crazy instinct telling her what to do. More than her instinct though, Alice had a feeling of rightness deep in her heart. It was what made her come all the way to Knave, leaving her friends in the middle of her birthday celebration. Alice trusted her heart more than anything else.

Knave seemed shocked. He remained standing, eyeing her as if he were afraid she would explode. Finally, he cleared his throat. "Miss Alice, I think you are in deep need of some sleep. I know you really enjoy my company, but that does not mean you should compromise your sleeping time! Surely we will meet again, and I.....,"

Alice cut him off, "For heaven's sake, Knave! For once, get over yourself!" She snapped. "And I am not sleepy! I mean what I said."

Knave looked at her, his expression serious. "How?" He demanded.

Alice was not quite sure about that. "I will need you to trust me! Can you do that?" She asked, a little hesitatingly.

Alice looked at him eagerly, desperate for an answer. She hoped that getting her dress torn by running in the woods, would pay off. If it did not, she would have ruined her lovely gown for no reason.

Very slowly, Knave nodded. Alice held out her hand. After a moment, Knave took it. His hands were warm against her cold ones. 

Heart pounding, Alice started to make her way out of the woods, with Knave right beside her.

Together, they reached the end of the woods. Alice could now see the road. Her house right across from it. All they had to do to leave the woods was to cross the road, which was empty of any cars or pedestrians. Grey in the night sky.

Alice steeled her nerves. She looked at Knave, who held her gaze, looking at her with full belief. Slowly, Alice started to make her way across, holding Knave's hand. As she did, she felt as if she were passing through an invisible wall, which was stopping her there. Alice closed her eyes and pushed through, forcing the wall to make way. Suddenly, everything blurred out.

When Alice opened her eyes, she was standing in front of her house door, still holding Knave's hand.

Alice laughed in wonderment and turned to look at Knave, who looked flabbergasted. "How did you...," He broke off, looking at her incredulously. He licked his lips. "I am finally out of the woods!" He said, finally managing to form words. He looked stunned, as if he could not believe what he was saying.

Alice remained looking at him. He seemed so happy, that she felt like doing it all over again. Seeing him like this, made her whole life meaningful. Not only could she see people no one else could, but she could also help them too. Her life finally made sense. Was this what Alice was meant to do? Excitement and happiness were coursing through her veins.

Unexpectedly, Knave hugged her. Surprised, Alice just stood with her hands at her side. "Thank you so much!" Knave whispered against her ear. "You have no idea what you have done for me!"

After a moment of slight hesitation, Alice hugged him back.

"I knew it!" Shouted a sharp voice.

Panicked, Alice quickly broke the hug and saw Charlie looking at both of them in horror. Maria and Mike floated a few feet behind him, wearing the same expression.

'Oh, dear!' Thought Alice. 'I am so doomed!'

"So, you are telling me that you have known this ghost-not-so-ghostly-annoying-prince-looking guy, for so many years and you did not even bother to tell us?" Asked Charlie, looking like he could barely control himself from bursting out.

This was the first time since Alice had met him, that Charlie showed he could be capable of being angry.

They were all in Alice's bedroom, and since they could not turn on the lights in fear of alerting Sophie, they had left the window open for the moonlight, which now cast shadows on the ground.

"Prince-looking guy? Thanks buddy!" Said Knave, clearly ignoring the rest of what Charlie had said.

This only made Charlie more furious. Mike and Maria were standing close, wearing calm expressions. Though Alice knew behind all that calmness, there was a surge of emotions. Disappointment, anger, and worry.

Alice felt guilty, as she sat on her bed beside Knave, with her ghost squad hovering over them. She almost felt as if she and Knave were children who had done a terrible mistake, which she supposed they had, and their parents were giving them a shouting.

For some reason, Alice was reminded of the times when Sophie used to accompany her to the principal's office, to get her report card. Though she had never given her mother, or her teachers, a chance to complain. She had aced her studies, pleasing everyone.

This time however, Alice was not sure she could please anyone. Not with her friends looking at her like she had let them down. Alice felt that not only had she let them down, but she had somehow betrayed them. The guilt that was building up inside her, was now beginning to make her feel uneasy. Would this one mistake create a rift between her and her ghost squad forever?

"I only met him once then," Alice began. "I have only seen him again these past few days, and since he is not like any other ghost, I wanted to have answers so that I could make full sense of things. I did not want to worry you all before that. I am so sorry, I did not mean to hurt you!" She said, looking at all of them, hoping they would see how much she meant her words.

Alice realized only now, that she had thought of no further plan of what she would do once she managed to free Knave. She had completely forgotten that her ghost squad had no idea about Knave's existence.

'Seriously Alice, what were you thinking?' She thought in anger. The excitement and eagerness to help Knave, had taken all other thoughts from her brain.

"So you are saying he is cursed?" Asked Mike.

Alice was about to answer, but Knave replied instead, "Yes! I told her I am cursed." Mike looked at Knave as if he were a bird dressed in a coat.

Sensing a fight, Alice chimed in, "Yes Mike, which I guess explains why I can touch him."

Maria had her lips slightly parted. "So you were trapped in the woods, but Alice helped you to be free?" She asked, looking at Knave.

Knave shrugged. "Yes! That is what happened. Which was why I hugged her, by the way, just out of happiness and nothing else!" He assured, looking at Mike and Charlie worriedly, who looked as if they would pounce on him at any given second.

Maria began shaking her head. "It cannot be! Not yet, you...," She broke off. Her form began flickering. Present one second, disappearing the next. Alice bolted towards her, Knave right beside her.

"Maria, are you okay?" Said Mike, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

Thankfully, she stopped flickering. "Yes, I am... I am fine!" She began. "It is just that all this is too much for me to take!"

Mike nodded. "I think we should call it a night! We will see what to do tomorrow."

Charlie eyed Knave suspiciously. "I am staying here with Alice tonight, brother! You stay with Maria." Mike nodded.

A second later, Maria and Mike vanished, leaving Alice alone with two ghosts, who seemed ready for a brawl.

"Will you all ever be able to forgive me Charlie, for not telling you about Knave?" Asked Alice, as she laid two mattresses on the floor, which Charlie had produced for him and Knave to sleep on.

Knave stood by the window looking out, as if considering running away. Though Alice knew he was just giving her and Charlie some privacy. She respected that.

Charlie sighed. "Honestly Alice, this is something really big! Not something like, where you stole chocolate from someone and did not tell us."

Alice blinked. "I would never do that!" She protested.

Charlie grinned, suddenly transforming back to his normal self, and Alice brightened up. "You should try it once! It is really fun when you..," He broke off, noticing her stare. He changed his expression, and was all sulky again. Alice felt her heart drop. Charlie cleared his throat. "My point is, hiding such a big thing from us was something we could never have expected from you! It is going to take us some time Alice, it is all I can say for now." He said.

Then, he laid down turning his back towards her, presumably sleeping.

It was the first time Alice realized, that she was sleeping with one of the twins. Usually Maria slept with her, but that was also very rare.

Feeling defeated, Alice went to join Knave by the window.

"I believe, no luck?" He asked jerking his chin, indicating Charlie.

Alice nodded. "I let them down! I wonder if they will ever be able to trust me again."

Knave looked at her. "It is not your fault! You just did not want them to worry." He said gently. "Perhaps, you should give your friends some time!" He suggested.

Alice nodded. She rubbed her eyes, feeling very tired. When she lowered her hands, Knave was looking at her with an odd expression. It made her stomach do flips. "What?" She demanded.

Without warning, Knave knelt down on one knee. Alice jerked back. "What are you..," She broke off. Alarmed, she looked at Charlie, who looked fast asleep. Who knew ghosts slept like the dead?

Knave produced a beautiful silver bracelet, though where he had gotten it from, Alice was not sure. "Consider this as a token of my appreciation, and also a small gift from me!" He said. Looking at her, he added, "May I?" Alice nodded. With a smile, he clasped the bracelet on her wrist. It fit perfectly. "Happy birthday, Miss Alice!" He said.

Alice realized, amidst all that had happened, she had forgotten all about her birthday. Apparently, Knave still remembered. 

Alice felt overwhelmed. "Thank you, Knave!" She said, in a slightly shaky voice.

Knave let go of her hand and stood up. He eyed her for a minute, then said, "Are you actually planning on sleeping in that gown?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.9K 2.5K 62
Catch up with your favourite Vamps and Witches, and discover what else is lurking in the shadows of London! This is the second part of Alice Gray's a...
0 0 4
Secrets run deep in the shadows and everything is not as it seems. Even a few different decisions can change the course of the history. With every un...
937 170 35
Adara was a semi-normal seventeen-going-on-eighteen-year-old girl living a normal if not boring life prior to the fateful evening she and her mother...
684 59 26
MK liked to call herself the minor character in everyone else's story. She didn't mind it, in fact she preferred it. After summoning a demon with utm...