You Should Be Here | j. chris...

By humansunflower

in which his mind was somewhere else or in which maybe they should've stayed enemies More

YOU SHOULD BE HERE
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035
036
037
038
039
040
042
043
044
EPILOGUE

041

3.2K 227 74
By humansunflower

july 10th, 2024
1:07 pm

AYOLUWA RESTED HER BODY AGAINST the door frame of her room, watching as Joshua sat in her wicker chair and stared out the window, Firefly at his feet.

Even though it had been almost more than three months since he had been discharged, he had spent most of his time doing exactly this.

Staring out the window, sleeping, sitting in her backyard and generally being introspective.

Ayoluwa had figured that bringing him here to her house that had only two staircases, one outside and one inside, versus his apartment that seemingly had a million would be the better decision.

But in her hastiness to figure out what would work best for Joshua physically, she had forgotten to think about what would be best for him mentally.

Ayoluwa was worried that she was in love with a broken man and for the first time, she didn't know how to help.

Therapy hadn't boded well the first time that Ayoluwa had brought it up to Joshua and she didn't want to do anything that could possibly push him over the edge.

Ayoluwa folded her hands over her stomach, fully center stage now that she was creeping closer and closer to nine months, and sighed.

What am I doing?

Her cell phone rang in her peach and white tie dyed joggers and she glanced up at Joshua.

"I'm fine. You should take that." Joshua said, his eyes still on the window.

Ayoluwa licked her top lip faintly and stepped away to answer.

"Hello? 'G?'" Ayoluwa said once she was inside the still half finished nursery.

"Hey. I'm sorry to bother you because I know you and Josh are still trying to become reacquainted and heal and everything but this interlude needs final approval and they're not letting me check it. Can you come in?" Gloria asks.

"Um... I don't know. This isn't a good time." Ayoluwa replied.

"I know, I know. But we were already pushed the album date back and the label isn't happy. I wouldn't ask if it wasn't absolutely necessary." Gloria absorbed Ayoluwa's moment of silence, "I can ask Amy to keep him company until you get back."

Ayoluwa tucked both lips in slight annoyance, "Okay. How soon can you be here?"

"Thirty seconds. We're around the corner." Gloria said then hung up.

Ayoluwa padded back over to her bedroom and then over to him, "Hey.. Uh, work called. Amy's coming by to keep you company while I'm gone."

Joshua turned and looked up at her before wrapping his left arm around her waist, "Okay. Come back safe, okay?"

Ayoluwa blinked at how easily he had accepted it, remembering how her job was always a point of contention between the two.

That was just another thing to get used to, I guess.

There was the beep of a car horn outside of her brownstone.

Ayoluwa sighed before leaning down and kissing his forehead, "I'll be back before you know it."

Joshua laced their fingers together and then kissed her hand, "I love you."

Ayoluwa smiled, "I love you too."

The ride to the studio was quiet with Gloria typing constantly on her cell phone and Ayoluwa clutching onto her seat belt.

Ayoluwa entered her designated studio then stopped at the sight of Robert bent down a little over the soundboard.

Oh, shit.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

She had masterfully managed to avoid Robert since their kiss, not sure how to move past that moment with him.

But alas, she couldn't avoid him anymore.

Ayoluwa coughed a little to get Robert's attention.

He took a peek at her and then straightened to his full height, "Superstar."

"Hey, Rob." Ayoluwa murmured.

"I should've called," Robert stepped closer to her, "I heard about the accident. How are you and the baby?"

"We're fine. He's still kicking, I'm still kicking." Ayoluwa let out a loose awkward chuckle as she walked towards the soundboard.

"Um, listen. I need to finish the last interlude so can we do that as quick as possible?" Ayoluwa asked, flipping her locs over her shoulder.

"So you don't wanna talk about... Right." Robert nodded as she walked towards the soundboard.

Ayoluwa began to skillfully move her fingers across the object until she found the button for the interlude.

Soon an old voicemail from Joshua began to play in the studio, his voice distorted just enough that you couldn't tell who the person really was.

"How's Josh?" Robert asked.

"He's okay." Ayoluwa lied.

Robert nodded in a way that made her think that he didn't really believe her.

"I heard he took a nasty hit. Is he gonna play again?" Robert asked.

"Eventually but we're not worried about that right now."

Another lie.

Ayoluwa was extremely worried about that.

Joshua still hadn't asked about basketball.

She had watched him go through physical therapy and he still hadn't asked.

His teammates and the friends he had met through basketball had visited and he ignored their prodding, still not asking.

Ayoluwa understood that Joshua was scared but Ayoluwa was one dodge away from asking her damn self.

"I also heard that y'all got back together."

At his words, Ayoluwa's fingers paused and rested against the metal, "That isn't a secret. And it's also none of your business."

Robert rolled his eyes, "So it's true?"

"If you must know," Ayoluwa turned around a little to face him, "We have have been back for a couple months since you must know."

"You know..." Robert brushed his chin with his thumb a little, "I didn't take you as a dumb woman."

"Excuse me?" Ayoluwa snapped at him.

Robert sighed, "That came out wrong. I just... I saw that guy argue with you and then walk out during one of the most important moments of your life."

Ayoluwa shuddered a little at the painful memory, her gaze at her feet or would've been if her stomach wasn't in the way, "I know what he's done. No one knows better than me what he's done."

"So why would you get back together with him?" Robert pressed.

Ayoluwa looked up, a little incensed now, "Why are you asking? None of this matters to you."

"It does. You're a beautiful, talented woman who deserves better. I was trying to..." Robert stopped abruptly then rolled his eyes once more, "Never mind. You're right, it doesn't matter now. The interlude is finished."

It was Ayoluwa's turn to roll her eyes and she started to the door.

Her hand was on the handle but before she left, Ayoluwa turned and faced him.

"You know what? One kiss doesn't make you entitled to me. Get the fuck over yourself because this whole," Ayoluwa waved her hand in his direction, "Cocky, I'm cooler than everyone else demeanor doesn't work."

And before Robert could respond, she was gone, a little shook by his words.

NOTE FROM KY
vote & comment, porfa!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.2K 337 29
𝘈 𝘕𝘰𝘵𝘵𝘪 𝘖𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺..
379K 17.8K 53
Would you be there for me, if the whole world was against me ?
4K 217 38
mixed emotions ..
398K 26.5K 49
in which she finds out that, after all this time, he was the one or in which he goes off the grid with her