HOPEFUL ☼ LUKE SKYWALKER

By lovelyrosebud

❝ TO LOVE AND TO BE LOVED IS TO FEEL THE SUN FROM BOTH SIDES. ❞ in which a toughened rebel commander finds h... More

HOPEFUL
GRAPHIC GALLERY
00
ACT ONE
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
ACT TWO
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
ACT THREE
31
32
33
34
35
36
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
THANK YOU

37

2.5K 91 12
By lovelyrosebud

chapter thirty-seven

       IT HAD BEEN HOURS since the Falcon arrived at the base (if you could even call it that), and Amora felt her nerves shift into something a bit more attuned to glee. Quick to switch, she knew, but maybe the atmosphere of belonging had something to do with it. She could adjust to the feeling of change if she was back to her rightful position. She just couldn't see that before.

       Amora entered the briefing room hurriedly, as she was running later than usual. There had been enough time since landing for the crew to settle in, rest, and freshen up, which was wonderful except for her lack of time management. Sleeping in a real bed and having access to actual amenities must've been too tempting to pay attention to the time. It was lucky that she left her bunk room at all.

       When she arrived, practically everyone was already seated and ready for the meeting, but that wasn't saying much. Their numbers had decreased significantly since the last battle, whether that meant people died or they still hadn't managed to regroup. For instance, Amora knew Zolynn wasn't here. She'd asked around soon after landing, but she was just gone. Amora didn't know if she was safe or not, but she tried to keep the optimism that Zolynn just couldn't make her way back. But that was a side thought amongst many. Right now, she wanted to find her friends and pretend like she was there the whole time, which is why she was relieved to see Leia, Han, Chewie, and Lando in the front row. She started off in their direction, but was halted by an older, accented voice.

       "General Everbright, it's a pleasure to have you back."

       She stopped herself and turned to the direction of the voice. There stood Mon Mothma behind her with a polite, tight lipped smile in her traditional white dress.

       Amora straightened her spine and nodded formally. "It's been too long, ma'am. I look forward to joining the fight again."

       She nodded as well and held up a small, gray badge that Amora recognized instantly. "Not without this."

       Amora reached out to grab the badge, fiddling it with her fingers with a pinch of nostalgia in her chest. It was a rank indicator, an award gifted to those who reached the status of a general. Her previous badge was lost back on Hoth and, although its importance, she hadn't really spared it a thought until now. There were always more pressing issues than awards, but seeing another one presented to her now wasn't something to refuse.

       "Thank you," she responded unwaveringly as she stared at the badge. "I won't lose this one."

       "I know you won't."

       Their conversation was cut short as a light, ringing sound was heard over the quiet chatter in the room. That noise signaled the start of the meeting, which both of them were aware of.

       "Excuse me," Mon Mothma said to Amora, prompting her to leave the older woman and take a seat with the rest of the rebels.

       She settled for the seat between Chewie and Lando, patting the former's arm affectionately as she stared forward to receive the plan. Everyone quieted down as Mon Mothma stepped to the front of the room with a wide glint of assuredness.

       "The Emperor has made a critical error and the time for our attack has come."

       From the center table, a stubby platform shot out to display a holographic image of a green planet with a smaller, red object beside it. As the model spun around to Amora's side, she could see that the red sphere was a replica of the incomplete Death Star.

       "The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoints the exact location of the Emperor's new battle station. We also know that the weapon systems of this Death Star are not yet operational. With the Imperial Fleet spread throughout the galaxy in a vain effort to engage us, it is relatively unprotected. But most important of all, we've learned that the Emperor himself is personally overseeing the final stages of the construction of this Death Star. Many Bothans died to bring us this information."

       She paused to allow the information to sink in. There was a solemn tension in the room along with a nervous murmur. Amora scanned around to see all the nervous faces that weren't ready to die just yet. It hadn't hit her just how valuable this attack would be, but it was now. This was possibly the most important mission of the rebellion's span.

       "Admiral Ackbar, please."

       The Mon Calamari stepped forward and motioned towards the model. "You can see here the Death Star orbiting the forest moon of Endor. Although the weapon systems on this Death Star are not yet operational, the Death Star does have a strong defense mechanism. It is protected by an energy shield, which is generated from the nearby forest moon of Endor."

       Speckled, yellow energy sprouted from the green moon and spread around the Death Star as a protective shield.

       "The shield must be deactivated if any attack is to be attempted."

       The image of Endor disappeared as the tiny, red Death Star enlarged. A few yellow lines became visible within its core, representing an energy source for the station.

       "Once the shield is down, our cruisers will create a perimeter, while the fighters fly into the superstructure and attempt to knock out the main reactor."

       On cue, the holograph disappeared, mimicking the explosion that was bound to occur.

       "General Calrissian has volunteered to lead the fighter attack."

       Amora peeked up to her right at Lando who appeared as calm and confident as ever. She hadn't known he was a general, but he fit into the role quite well. It seemed as though his time as the administrator of Cloud City was the perfect training for an alliance general.

       "Good luck," Han directed to him in a way that almost sounded sarcastic, but proved to be serious when he added on. "You're gonna need it."

       Lando didn't give a reaction other than a long look in his direction, to which Amora gave her own input.

       "Yeah, he's right," she whispered, only for him to peer down at her blank features. "But don't worry, you'll be fine."

       "General Madine," Ackbar introduced before Lando had the chance to respond.

       The man beside the alien stepped forward to begin his instructions. Crix was a gruffly man that Amora had spoken to professionally many times. He possessed great knowledge of battle strategy and definitely had a hand in creating this mission.

       "We have stolen a small Imperial shuttle," he explained carefully. "Disguised as a cargo ship, and using a secret Imperial code, a strike team will land on the moon and deactivate the shield generator."

       Amora knew she would be joining this specific team. She already had a rough idea of the mission and had decided that the front lines were the best place for her. But either way, she did realize how dangerous the plan was.

       "I wonder who they found to pull that off," Leia thought aloud.

       Amora agreed, but also felt a deep respect for whoever volunteered. It wouldn't be easy and would cost many lives.

       "General Solo, is your strike team assembled?"

       Solo?

       She snapped her head to the left in shock. Leia had done the same, mixing surprise with admiration. It was so unexpected that Amora didn't question the new title of general for him, either. She didn't want to underestimate him, but it just wasn't what she thought would happen.

       "Uh, my team's ready," he answered without acknowledging Amora or Leia's surprised stares. "I don't have a command crew for the shuttle."

       Chewie let out an offended growl, punching his arm in the air to indicate that he'd follow him anywhere.

       "Well, it's gonna be rough, pal," Han explained. "I didn't wanna speak for you."

       Chewie clearly disagreed and made it known by everyone.

       Han smirked and faced Crix. "That's one."

       "General," Leia smiled at him adoringly. "Count me in."

       "That makes two of us," Amora added brightly.

       "I'm with you, too!"

       The addition of a far away, loud voice made the entire room turn their heads to find the source, but Amora didn't need to to know who it was. Her heart leapt happily as she joined their curious stares and saw Luke strutting down the steps to the center of the room (after all, she had taken Han's words to heart and was choosing to move past the comlink incident, hoping that he would as well).

       Leia, who stood closest to Luke, stood up and reached out for a hug, which he returned naturally, yet Amora's delight melted quick. He wasn't supposed to be here. What happened to training with Yoda? What was he doing here?

       Him and Leia exchanged a few words that Amora couldn't hear. When they pulled away, Han and Chewie were right behind Leia, which reminded Amora that it was actually alright to break formality during a meeting. She stood up and joined them.

       "Luke," Han greeted.

       "Hi, Han," he replied. "Chewie."

       Amora was about to walk between the two to greet him herself, but Mon Mothma had other plans.

       "Everyone, to their positions," she ordered in the middle of their small reunion. "This might just be our key to victory."

       On her command, the remaining crew rose from their seats and the talk from earlier picked back up. The room began to drain out and Amora looked over at Luke to see him already looking at her. She stepped towards him but was stopped.

       "Except for you, General Everbright," Mon Mothma interrupted before she could approach him. "A word, please."

       Amora clenched her teeth, huffing through her nose. Their talk would just have to wait.

~  ☼  ~

       Amora marched up the ramp of the Imperial shuttle with a green, camouflage poncho thrown over her shoulders. After speaking with Mon Mothma, she had located the ship as quickly as possible because she knew that's where Luke would be. And luckily, when she found herself in the cockpit of the shuttle, she also found him there preparing for flight, subtly lighting up when he noticed her entering.

       "You're back early," Amora immediately said as offhandedly as possible. "Why are you back early?"

       The question dimmed Luke just a bit, forcing him to hesitate. There was an answer, it just happened to be one he couldn't tell her. Not yet, anyways. For now, Luke had to lie.

       "I changed my mind."

       Amora leaned on a blank wall and pursed her lips. He changed his mind? That wasn't a decision you just made on a whim. But then again, it definitely wasn't unlike him to put the people he loved before himself. It just didn't sound like the most believable thing in the world, but he had no reason to lie.

       "You changed your mind," Amora repeated, unsure as to whether she was actually convinced.

       He turned around from his control panel and shrugged with his arms crossed. "I'd rather be here."

       Luke didn't want to be dishonest, but it was the only choice right now. He wasn't lying to her for the sake of keeping secrets. He lied with the full intention of telling her what happened after the battle. There was too much to drop at this very moment. She didn't need more distractions.

       Amora, though, wanted to know the truth, but she couldn't tell if that's what she was hearing. Luke had never been the best at lying in the past (like when he "promised" there wouldn't be a surprise Life Day party waiting for her when she woke up on the holiday), but that wasn't the same as now. He was much more grown and skilled in every way. If he was being dishonest, she probably wouldn't know. But for the sake of trust, she chose to believe him.

       "So you didn't get to see Yoda?" Amora asked a lighter question casually.

       "No, I didn't," he lied but not with ease. "But I'm sure he knows that you miss him."

       She nodded as she turned to a control panel on the wall to help prepare the ship. "Well, there's always next time."

       Luke clenched his jaw, struggling to not tell her the truth right then and there. There wasn't a next time. Yoda was gone, and while he might be able to see the Jedi master again one day along with Obi-Wan, Amora couldn't.

       "Right," he agreed, losing himself a thought for a few seconds before speaking again. "What did they need you for back there?"

       "Oh, nothing," Amora scoffed honestly. "Just wanted to make sure I could 'handle this.' Can you believe that? They didn't even ask Leia or Han, so I don't know why it's such a big deal."

       "Did you tell them you just helped kill a famous mob boss?"

       "No, maybe I should've..." she trailed off in contemplation with a longing look to the door. "Do you think we have some time before we leave?"

       She distractedly took a step towards it, but Luke chuckled and caught her hand before she could take another. With one swift pull, he pulled her back into his chest, dipping his head down to kiss her lovingly.

       Amora smiled cheekily against his lips and remarked. "Huh, I guess we do have time."

       She leaned in again for another kiss, this time letting her hands slide up to his chest. He pulled her closer by the hips, but that only lasted so long.

       "You got her warmed?"

       The two jumped apart with the new presence of Han walking into the ship. Amora fiddled with a random switch on the wall in an attempt to look occupied.

       "Yeah, she's comin' up," Luke replied as Han strode into the ship with Chewie trailing behind him, growling with annoyance.

       "Yeah, well, I don't think the Empire had Wookiees in mind when they designed her, Chewie."

       Amora peeked over her shoulder back at Luke to see him doing the same. The two shared a quick laugh before Leia, Threepio, and Artoo entered the ship and broke their eye contact. Amora, however, didn't return to the control panel, but excitedly approached the last droid.

       "Artoo!" she exclaimed, crouching down in front of him. "How was the trip? You doing good?"

       He wildly beeped, rolling back and forth with joy.

       "Oh, that's good, that's good."

       "I'm doing fine as well, Mistress Amora!" Threepio cut in enthusiastically before adding with a less confident tone. "In case you were wondering."

       Artoo instantly stopped moving around and directed his beeps to Threepio (not talking about how "excited he was to be here," but instead about how his friend could "never take a hint").

       Amora stood up to face the droid with a plain expression. "I wasn't, but that's good to know."

       "Oh."

       "I'm kidding, Goldilocks. It's good to see you," she assured him, patting his shoulder and taking a seat behind Leia and next to Luke.

       "Chewie, let's see what this piece of junk can do," Han announced as everyone settled in for the ride. "Ready, everybody?"

       "All set," Luke replied.

       "Here we go again..." Threepio sighed tiredly.

       "All right, hang on."

       Amora gripped the sides of her seat as the ship lifted off of the hangar floor and drifted forward gently. The weightless feeling only grew when they slowly hovered out of the station into the vast expanse of space, picking up speed to prepare for the journey. And when the calculations were complete and the course was set, Han pulled the lever that zipped them off into hyperspace.

~  ☼  ~

       The flight wasn't nearly as long as Amora would've expected. It had been a silent trip, maybe because no one was in the mood to have small talk, but she didn't mind in the slightest. They had popped out of hyperspace right before the shape of the Death Star, it steadily growing in size the closer they got. The first step of the plan was to use the clearance code to receive access to Endor, which was really the fine line between failure and success.

       "If they don't go for this," Han began lowly. "We're gonna have to get outta here pretty quick, Chewie."

       He growled in agreement as a new, strange voice was heard from the control panel. "We have you on our screen now. Please identify."

       Han glanced back at Leia and held down the button to speak. "Shuttle Tydirium requesting deactivation of the deflector shield."

       "Shuttle Tydirium, transmit the clearance code for shield passage."

       "Transmission commencing."

       There was a thick tension in the ship that Amora tried to look past. They didn't know if this code would actually work. All they could do was wait and hope, but Amora had faith it would.

       "Now we find out if that code is worth the price we paid," Leia sighed anxiously.

       "It'll work," Han insisted. "It'll work."

       Amora held onto the same hope that Han had. If they managed to make it to this mission, they were more than capable of actually executing it. Those Bothans got the right code. They had to.

       That didn't prevent the unsettling feeling in her stomach, though. No one was speaking. Anything could've been happening on the other end of that comlink. How much longer would this take?

       "Vader's on that ship."

       Amora looked over at Luke, biting the inside of her mouth with her heart still pounding from the wait. He looked disoriented and distraught, a troubled glint fogging his eyes. Amora didn't doubt him for a second, and that only increased her worry for both the mission and him. Luke looked scared.

       "Now don't get jittery, Luke. There are a lot of command ships," Han assured loudly and confidently before adding in a lower voice. "Keep your distance though, Chewie, but don't look like you're trying to keep your distance."

       The Wookiee roared confusedly.

       "I don't know. Fly casual!"

       "We're going by quick," Amora whispered to Luke as she set a hand on his leg. "He won't suspect a thing."

       But she didn't know if he even heard what she said. He was staring out the window, dazed and far off.

       "I'm endangering the mission. I shouldn't have come," Luke suddenly told the group stiffly.

       Amora frowned. This wasn't supposed to be a concern. She believed him about Vader, but as for real danger, she hoped it was paranoia more than anything.

       "It's your imagination, kid," Han dismissed. "Come on, let's keep a little optimism here."

       "Hey," she tried to get Luke's attention softly. "Stay with me, okay?"

       "They're not goin' for it, Chewie," Han complained loudly, waiting for the Imperial officer to say anything back.

       As the unsettling silence extended, Amora kept her eyes locked on Luke and his entranced expression.

       "Shuttle Tydirium," the officer's voice crackled into the ship. "Deactivation of the shield will commence immediately. Follow your present course."

       "Okay!" Han said smugly as if he wasn't just doubting the entire plan. "I told you it was gonna work! No problem."

       Amora ignored Han's hypocrisy and instead tapped Luke's hand and smiled. "It's fine. It worked. You didn't ruin anything."

       Luke slowly removed his gaze from the ship in front of them and looked at Amora deeply. He didn't say anything, but put his hand on top of her own and nodded.

       "We're gonna get through this," she whispered.

       Step one of the mission was complete. Now they were entering the moon's atmosphere and there was no turning back.

~  ☼  ~

author's note -

only a very brief zolynn reference for now bc i think ive mentioned that i wanna write her out eventually but i havent yet but anyways yeah i hope ur liking the story! there should be seven chapters left and i cant wait to finish this has been so much fun. if ur liking it then maybe vote or comment! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.4K 804 28
Once a Jedi Knight, you have spent the past five years under the rule of the Empire as one of Darth Vader's Inquisitors, a man you have met only once...
164K 4.5K 25
A princess in disguise and a young slave boy. Both destined to be more. What will happen when they meet? All rights go to Disney and Lucasfilm. I onl...
45.8K 868 37
❣︎"ɪᴛ's ᴛᴏᴏ ᴅᴀɴɢᴇʀᴏᴜs! Yᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ!"❣︎ ❣︎ "ɪᴍ ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴡɪᴛʜ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡʜᴇᴛʜᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴋᴇ ɪᴛ ᴏʀ ɴᴏᴛ." ❣︎ DO NOT READ THIS BOOK UNTIL YOU HAVE READ: �...
264K 7.1K 48
ミ☆ - 𝙶𝚞𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝙸'𝚖 𝚊 𝚏𝚘𝚘𝚕 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚞𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚖𝚎 In which their loyalties lie with the fir...