hell or flying | Chaelisa

By somefunnyusername

Sequel to Love Is Not Enough taint•ed love /tänted 'ləv/ (n.) love you have for a person that is so deep and... More

Warning
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Epilogue

3.5K 153 385
By somefunnyusername

"Whoa..."

"I second that,"

"So you mean to tell me you were actually cool all this time?"

"What do you mean 'all this time'"? Lisa gasped in faux offense, palm resting against her chest, "I've always been cool. I mean I don't know about that one over there," she lowered her voice and pointed at me over her shoulder and though she made it seem like she didn't want me to hear, I could see that teasing smirk grazing her lips, knowing full well I heard.

"Why haven't you told us sooner? Not to downplay it, but this is like a plot from a movie or something,"

"You were too young to know. Besides, we've only been able to move past all that recently. It would've been too hard to talk about before, especially for your mom,"

"Is she okay now, though?" Jace asked, and the concern in his voice made me smile.

"Is that why you'd go to see that lady downtown?" Kayla voiced her own question. I told Lisa that we would not tell our youngest about our troubling past once they'd ask, but it seemed unfair that Jace and Felix would know while our little girl stayed in the dark. She deserved to know who her mums were just as much, so we only left out a few details or would cover her ears when we'd get to the part of our story that wasn't inappropriate for a girl her age.

Jace, our oldest, was the one to ask us about it. Whenever he or his brother would discover something they'd consider suspicious about our way of life or see Lisa's scar, they would bring it up. And though I was reluctant to tell them, wanting to put our past behind us, after talking with Lisa about it, she made me realize that as a family we should have any secrets. They deserved to know who we were and how we got here.

It took a bit of persuasion and a lot of time for me to be able to move past it. It hasn't been easy for my wife either, but we both knew I had a bit of a harder time coping with everything. The topic of what used to be was never easy for me and I avoided it at all costs, even slipped into a state of denial shortly after the incident when Lisa got shot almost twenty-four years ago.

But with the help of a therapist and Lisa's undying support, I was much better than I once used to be. I still suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, some things triggering it more than others, which resulted in our kids noticing the change more often than I would have liked, but I was doing much better than when I started. It was only last year though that I was okay with talking about it and that's when Lisa and I decided it was time not to hold on to our secret anymore.

That's why, after spending the majority of the day by the beach where Lisa's been once again asked about the scar on her chest, we figured it was the right time. It was just after lunch when we started and though we've taken only a few breaks to recuperate after an especially painful memory; the sky had gone dark; the sun got replaced by the moon and his loyal allies, twinkling in the velvet blanket of darkness.

Lisa told her story, and I told mine. We would add things for the other in case we'd forget an important detail, but for the most part, we would stay silent, offering our silent support. Because no matter how much time has passed, it never became easy to relive a past like ours.

I'd sit on Lisa's lap as she'd talk about her enormous crush on me back then, as she'd recall her struggles with sexuality and finding herself, as she would regret the choices she had made before everything fell into place for the first time. My fingers would play with her hair, scratch her scalp, press my lips into the crook of her neck, and offer the warmth of my body heat that she clung onto as she spoke.

And when it was my turn, she'd do the same. Of course, I wasn't able to talk about everything. Some parts were still more painful than others, and just thinking about them made me sick, but for the most part, I stayed strong. I probably wouldn't have, hasn't it been for Lisa's arms encircling my body as I laid in her arms, back resting against her front, gentle kisses dispersed against the side of my head. God, I loved that woman. I always have and I knew that was something that would never change.

Every day, I was thankful to have her in my life. Every day I would say my prayers that she would stay with me for many years to come. She was the light in the darkness I searched for, the mother to our children, my best friend, my soulmate, my wife, my everything. And I couldn't have imagined a life without her if I tried.

So when I turned around, a jug of lemon water in my hands as I carried it into the living room where the rest of my family was cuddled up on the couch and caught Lisa's eyes, I smiled. Because that was all I could do when she looked at me like that.

Even after years of marriage, she still looked at me the same; like I was the most precious - sacred even - thing she has ever seen. Her eyes would twinkle in the soft light, reflecting the emotions bubbling up inside her heart, making my own melt just a little. It was that small, affectionate smile paired with that tender look in her eyes that let me know I was home. That this was where I was supposed to be all along. And that she would never make the mistake of letting me go again. Because she was mine and I was hers.

"So I could've had an older sister?" Jace asked, and I smiled at the brown-haired boy looking at me through his thick eyelashes. Really, I was jealous. Not even my eyelashes were as long as his, mascara or no mascara. He got that after Lisa, who'd always flutter hers at me whenever she wanted something, knowing full well it would work like a charm every time. Jace also possessed this charm, but thankfully, with him, I was able to resist... though Lisa wasn't as successful and might have spoiled him a little.

"Annabeth is still your older sister," Kayla pointed out before either Lisa or I could say anything, making both of us smile at the thirteen-year-old resting her head on her older brother's shoulder.

"Exactly," Lisa agreed, "So you better listen to your mom when she tells you to do the dishes next time or she'll tell your older sister on you and she'll beat your ass for being a jerk,"

"For the last time," he groaned, throwing his head back against the couch, "I had practice,"

"Yeah right," Felix scoffed, his shoulders moving as he did, shaking his younger sister out of her drowsy daze, "I saw you sneaking off to auntie Jennie's and Jisoo's,"

"Oooh," Kayla came alive, suddenly no longer sleepy, "Are you dating Lia again?"

"Lia? As in Julia?" I asked, intrigued, as I sat the jug down on the coffee table and returned to where I always belonged to; Lisa's arms, "I wasn't aware you two were seeing each other again,"

"Can we talk about how you guys are the modern Romeo and Juliet, or Juliet and Juliet, I suppose, again? You know, before mom," he looked at the woman holding me pointedly, "starts her interrogation process again,"

"She'll play nice," I assured and turned my face around to look at my wife, grinning from behind me, "Isn't that right?" and kissed the underside of her jaw.

"Of course," she agreed, "When do I not?"

"I don't think you'd want me to answer that," Jace stated dryly, making Felix snicker from beside him.

"Okay, fine, we won't ask anything," I relented.

"But--" Lisa interjected with a pout as if I've just taken her favorite snack right out of her mouth, but she stopped her whining after the pointed look I sent her way. She knew better than to say anything after that and instead slumped back against the cushion of the couch, arms, however, not loosening around my form. If anything, the embrace grew tighter, making me smile internally at my wife's antics, "Fine," she huffed, "Just don't be a jerk because I can't protect you from Jisoo forever... or Jennie for that matter,"

"I won't," he assured, with a grin that resembled Lisa's so much that it melted my heart a little whenever Id see it. The resemblance between the two was really something else. He could be mistaken for her younger brother rather than a son. Or a mini version of her, as Lisa would often refer to him when he was little, and they'd pull pranks on me together, driving me crazy.

And while Jace was more like Lisa, both look and personality-wise, Felix was more me than her. Obviously, both boys had a bit of both of us, but just like Jace inherited more of her traits than mine, Felix was my little boy. Not that I would ever admit it out loud, but let's just say I knew why I've been called a chipmunk in the past. The raven-haired boy had the cutest cheeks I have probably ever seen, and though they weren't chubby, they grew twice in their size whenever he ate. It was absolutely adorable.

Though he was two years younger than his older brother, he was slightly taller, a topic of conversation whenever he'd want to tease Jace, which would usually result in a brawl in the middle of the living room. And though Id ask Lisa to break it up, she ended up joining in more often than not. I got used to it so whenever it would happen now, I would just sigh and not pay them more mind, rather leave the room. Because though Felix was more like me, he was still a boy and very much enjoyed teasing his older brother', though it was beyond obvious how much he admired him and only wanted his attention.

Kayla, a perfect mix of both Lisa and I, also seemed to share my mindset, so whenever a fight would break out between the three, we would share a look and leave the room together. Though sometimes she'd run right back just to let her brothers and mum know that "If you guys leave a mess, mom will kill you," and then she'd be right by my side and we'd go get ice cream together.

Really, I had everything I ever wanted and so much more. If you told me this is where I'd be all those years ago, I wouldn't have believed you. A loving family, a wife, a sister, four kids - because though Annabeth couldn't make it, years later she was still my beautiful baby girl, and nothing could possibly change that.

Jace was off to college, being accepted to YALE, Felix was still in high school, though his graduation was not that far away and little Kayla, well, she would always be my little girl and I was not ready to let go of that just yet. It was crazy to me now, looking back at how much my life has changed and how fast it seemed to go by. It was only now that Lisa and I met and here we were twenty-four years later, happily married with kids and a beach house on the outskirts of the city like we've always dreamt about. Just now our children were little babies, tiny feet stomping in the sand leaving tiny footprints in their wake, and now they were all grown up. Just the thought of that got me all choked up, and as if Lisa could sense it, she placed a kiss on the crown of my head, letting me know she was there, just like she's always been.

Thankfully, before I could burst into tears, Kayla spoke up, "Wait, what was your wedding song?"

"Actually," Lisa started and I could feel her smile against my hair, making my heart speed up because I knew that smile. I loved that smile. And I mirrored that smile. How could I not at the fond memory of my wedding day?

twenty years ago,

"I do,"

The words rang in my ears like church bells as Lisa pulled me close by the waist and kissed me like there was no one watching. At that moment, we added wives to the list of things we were, and I could still not comprehend how that happened. How we got from being two college students afraid of love to two lovers who were not meant to be, to two people wearing rings on our fingers to symbolize the commitment we made to each other. She was mine, and I was hers. Forever.

That's probably why everything that happened afterward was just one big blur. All I could remember was Lisa because I was pretty sure that even as people did their toasts, all I could look at was my now wife. In retrospect, it might have been kind of rude, but could you blame me when she wore a tux that made her look just so damn good I wanted to devour her right on the spot?

Apparently, I wasn't that sneaky with my thoughts as Michael put his arm around my shoulder from one side, while Ally mirrored the action from the other, and they told me not to drool or ill ruin my dress.

I stared at her as we cut the cake; I stared at her as we ate; I stared at her since the moment we got married just hours ago, and was sure her beauty was now permanently tattooed on the inside of my eyelids. But I couldn't help myself. Not when my biggest dream became my reality and all I could hear in my ears still were those two words as she slid the beautiful ring on my ring finger.

"You've been staring all night. Is everything okay?" Lisa whispered in my ear as she pulled me closer while we danced our first dance, everyone else in the room disappearing at that moment.

"I can't help myself," I confessed earnestly, "You're so beautiful Lisa, I still can't believe we got married,"

"Same goes to you, wife," she grinned playfully, making my stomach erupt in at least a million butterflies as she spun me around before pulling me closer again, my chest meeting hers.

"You make me so happy," I told her as I rested my head against the side of her face, my words having the same effect as they always had, as she pulled me impossibly closer, hands, only slightly gripping onto my dress.

"I love you," her lips grazed my ear, and I shivered in her arms as her hot breath met my skin. And though I've heard her say it about a million times, it still felt like the first time I've heard those words. My body reacted to it the same way, letting me know by the way my heart felt like it was about to jump out of my chest.

"I love you too," I reciprocated with tears in my eyes as I looked at the love of my life, smiling at me with that tender look in her eyes that made me want to melt into a puddle of goo.

We exchanged no more words as I rested my head against hers again, breathing in her scent and counting my lucky stars. Because of how I got to this point in life, I was not sure. How I got so lucky to marry the only person I have ever loved, I did not know. But I was not about to question it. Not when she held me close, making the world around us disappear. Not when I felt safe in her embrace, knowing this was where I was supposed to be all along.

Not when our first dance as a married couple was to the same song we danced to like fools afraid to love each other in a marble kitchen at three in the morning.

'Cause you're the right time at the right moment
You're the sunlight, keeps my heart going oh
I know when I'm with you
I can't keep myself from falling
Right time at the right moment

And with the last line sang, her breath brushed my ear as she whispered,

"It's you,"

present time

"Oh god, you're so cheesy," Felix laughed.

"We are not!" Lisa argued.

"We kind of are babe," I agreed with the younger of the two brothers and kissed my wife's lips briefly when she looked at me like I've just offended all her cats - a mistake I would not repeat again. No matter how fat the four cats got, I was not allowed to point it out.

"But I thought you liked it,"

"I did," I nodded my head, "I loved it, but it's super cheesy,"

"More like super romantic," she grumbled, causing me to chuckle and plant one more kiss to her lips as she sulked, making her light up despite fighting the smile at first.

"I hope I'll love someone as much as you two love each other someday," Kayla said dreamily, and I watched Lisa's eyes widen in horror in amusement.

"And you'll find it," I assured, "But I hope your love story will be easier than ours,"

"Why? I thought all the greatest lovers in history had a complicated story,"

"Maybe," I agreed, "But everyone who experiences hardships does. And if you really care about someone, it will get hard eventually. You have to fight for love, you have to be patient and understanding, and sometimes it's difficult to do those things. But if you stick by them through all the problems life throws at you, you'll find out it was all worth it in the end. It's those people that give who don't experience a love worth telling about. You, however, are the kindest girl I know, so there's no doubt in my mind you'll get your fairytale love story. And it will be so much better than ours, you'll see,"

"You really think so?" she asked hopefully, and I smiled wistfully, casting a quick look at my wife before answering.

"I know so,"

Just as I was about to stand up t announce it was time for the kids to head to bed, Jace's words stopped me, "Wait, what about auntie Alice? You can't seriously tell that whole story and leave it at that. That's like a major cliffhanger, mom,"

twenty-three years ago

"Lisa's brother should be out tomorrow," she informed me dutifully, "I've taken care of it,"

"Thank you,"

"Of course, he doesn't deserve to be locked up for a crime he hasn't committed,"

We were both silent after that, neither of us uttering a word for fear of what would come out. But this grey area, the fog of uncertainty and unanswered questions, was eating me alive and I couldn't take it any longer. So before I could talk myself out of it, I broke the silence.

"Are we going to talk about it?" I addressed the older woman who I've grown along with yet lost to the cruelty of the world, or so I thought. This woman, standing next to me on the rooftop, looking into the distance as if trying to catch the stars up ahead, so similar to the woman who had brought her into this world. They really were alike.

"I don't know," she shook her head gently as if the thought saddened her. But it was not for the sadness in her voice that I knew. It wasn't for the fact we haven't seen each other for so long. No, her sadness came from a place entirely different. One I could spot from a mile away, no matter how much time had passed since the last time I've noticed. It was the same layer of guilt wrapped around her heart projecting in her eyes that I remembered. And for once, I didn't want to wonder why anymore.

"You can't just appear out of nowhere after everything and not say a word to me," I disagreed gently, not wanting to upset my sister further.

"I know," her lips parted in a sigh carried by the chilly breeze of the evening air, "I know you deserve the truth but I don't..."

"You don't what?" I prompted.

"Why don't you just go back? I'm sure Lisa misses your company,"

"Jennie is with her," I informed, "They asked to have a moment to talk. To be honest, I was a little reluctant to leave," I shook my head a little at the admission, "But she told me to talk to you. She knows I've been holding off talking to you since last week,"

"She tends to be like that, always noticing things first,"

"Yeah," I smiled wistfully, eyes searching the city spread out beneath us, taking in the lights from the building twinkling before us.

"I think she recognized me,"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

Alice turned to me then, eyes seeking mine, "Back at the office. When we first met, I think she recognized me,"

"I don't know, she never said anything,"

"She probably just didn't want to bring out unpleasant memories. Besides, I'm pretty sure she couldn't even believe it was me considering I should've been gone for years,"

"Unpleasant memories like losing my best friend?"

"Look Chae--"

"No," I shook my head and grit through my teeth, "Don't even try to do the whole comforting me thing. I just want to know the truth,"

"I'm sorry--"

"Don't you think I've been lied to enough?"

This time she opened her mouth just to close it and look forward regretfully, eyes avoiding mine. She knew I was right, that I deserved an explanation after I've believed her to be dead for years; after she's left me behind. I needed answers, needed to know how she ended up working for the person who's tortured me for years and only now showed her face.

Alice knew me better than anyone, at least back in the day, so even though I hadn't uttered my questions, I knew it wasn't necessary. Her face showed her shame, her embarrassment, her regret. She knew what I was thinking, and I knew what was going through her head. I knew she felt like she failed.

"I was diagnosed with cancer. I went through many chemotherapy sessions. They told me it was over; that the cancer was gone. They said it wasn't serious, and it was treated on early... they were neglectful, weren't being thorough. If they had been, maybe they would notice the growing tumor," she tapped the side of her head with a sad smile as she met my eyes, welling up with tears at the flood of painful memories, "It was too late when they found it. That's what they told me, at least. They said I might survive a few years longer if I get the surgery done, but it couldn't wait. I was dying Chaeyoung, and they told me with the surgery Id live a year longer at most,"

A sob tore through my throat as I listened to my sister talk, flashbacks of countless waiting and hospital rooms flashing before my eyes, the fear for her life returning to my gut as if it was just yesterday. And it made me physically sick. Allice must've noticed as she inched closer, fingers wrapped around a tissue that she dabbed under my eyes with a sad smile that translated into "I told you so," perfectly. But I could handle it. I had to.

"They said the surgery couldn't be performed at the hospital I was usually at and that they'd have to transfer me to a different one. I remember them taking me into an ambulance and the way it wailed as we swerved from side to side, but I wasn't even scared. I didn't think I'd survive. They told me the chances I would, were incredibly low. I thought I was going to die, but I didn't fear death. I feared leaving you behind. That's what I've always feared most. I was in despair, but not for me, but for you. I couldn't leave you. I didn't want to. Despite our age difference, Chae, you were my best friend, and I loved you so much. You were my little sister, and I vowed to take care of you from the moment you were born. Even though I was little, I still vividly remember the little things you did as a baby that made me adore you. I swore to myself I'd be the best older sister out there, so knowing I would be leaving you and couldn't do anything to stop it tore me to pieces,"

"Then why didn't you--" I tried to interrupt, but she used the sob that stopped me from uttering the whole question at once, to her advantage and continued, still dabbing at my tears.

"I was taken into surgery straight away. I don't remember anything about it or the first few moments after, safe for one thing. At first, I thought I must have dreamt it, that it couldn't possibly be real, but I woke up, still dizzy, and heard the surgeon talking to someone. He said I had died, that I died in surgery. I heard our dad cry. I've never heard him cry before. I couldn't move. He was right there, yet I couldn't move or open my eyes. After that, I quickly slipped back into darkness and when I awoke again, I heard a strangled cry and a voice I couldn't put a name to. I thought it was a nightmare, that it was the drugs that made me hallucinate.

Once I actually woke up, there weren't any nurses or doctors, or you. There was a man sitting by my bed - Chanyeol's father. I didn't realize it at first when I heard him speak, but his voice was the one I heard when I slipped from consciousness the second time. I'm pretty sure he killed the surgeon to get rid of any trace of evidence. He told me my parents left, that they didn't want damaged goods like me. Of course, I refused to believe it, but I was impressionable. You have to understand; I was still a kid and the more they told me and enforced the idea, the harder fighting back became. It was when I realized you weren't coming for me months later did I come to a decision they had been right. That the Parks were the good guys who took me in after you abandoned me. I saw them as my saviors who gave me a second chance while you threw me away.

Looking back, it was so fucking stupid. All of it was so clearly staged I just refused to see it. I was so blinded with grief and hate I chose to focus on the wrong things. They invested a lot of money into me and I was practically a miracle; I mean, the chances of survival were so low, yet I made it past my first year, then second, and so on. They taught me everything they knew about business and accepted me as their own. And it worked for a while, but then I started to question why I had to have my name changed. Why I needed to be shipped to a whole different country and why my existence must have been kept a secret. That's when I started to dig and collected proof, not one that could put them behind bars, but proof nonetheless.

When I found out the truth, I was livid, but I couldn't let it show. I couldn't go back to you. I knew of their plans, of their hatred toward you. They would have killed me if they found out I was no longer useful and, in that case, you were their backup plan. I couldn't let that happen. I couldn't let what happened to me to happen to you. I wondered why not just go with you; you were younger and healthy. But it was me that was the problem. I was supposed to take over the company. They needed to get rid of the heir, but they also needed to make sure you wouldn't take over instead of me. My supposed hatred toward you was supposed to be the key. I, the heir, was gone and in case you wanted to take over instead of me, they'd use me as a weapon and have me kill you. That's all I was to them, a backup plan, a weapon, a scapegoat, someone to use and manipulate.

I knew the only way to protect you was from a distance with them. I had to pretend I detested you and our whole family. That was the only way I could keep an eye on you and ensure your safety. And I know it might not seem like it considering you ended up married to Chanyeol but I couldn't do anything Chae," it was her time to break down in tears, "I'm so sorry Chae, I couldn't... I didn't,"

"It's okay," I managed a smile through my tears, "I'm sorry,"

"What for?" she sniffled.

"You were all alone," I pulled her close, arms wrapping around her now shaking form, "You had no one. You were trapped. I am so so sorry, Ally,"

That's when she broke down in my arms, sobs filling the silence of the night and mingling with mine as we cried in our shared grief, pain in our hearts growing too heavy to bear.

"I tried-..." she hiccuped, "Michael... I made sure Chanyeol would hire him so he could help you when I couldn't-... I-'m sorry-... I couldn't do more,"

"It's okay," I whispered as I rubbed her back, "You did what you could. I'm sorry I couldn't save you,"

present time

"That's true, however, that story is not mine to tell," Jace groaned.

"Why'd you start telling it then?"

"I didn't," I disagreed, "She's my sister. She's a part of who I am, but how she got to where she is, that's her story. So if you want to know, you'll have to ask her,"

"Fine," he pulled his phone out, ready to phone his aunt, but I stopped him before he could.

"Tomorrow at the family gathering," I clarified.

"Will uncle Michael and Bam be there?" Kayla asked hopefully, seemingly more interested in our plans for the next day, her face lighting up after Lisa's nod of affirmation.

"What? You can't be serious," he protested, ever as impatient, just as his mother,

"You heard what your mom said," Lisa reinforced from behind me, "Now go to bed, all of you. It's late,"

And while Felix and Kayla scrambled up to their feet, shouting a quick goodnight past their shoulders, racing each other to the stairs, completely ignoring the rule about not running around the house, Jace stayed put.

"You too, Jace," but when he didn't move, her tone grew softer, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," he sighed, shaking his head as he looked down at his feet.

"Come here," I cooed and though I saw the slight reluctance in his eyes, as all teenagers seemed to have when it came to being affectionate with their parents, he stepped forward and let us envelop him in a hug, as he buried his head in the nook of my shoulder.

We stayed that way for a little while, Lisa holding him tight while I rubbed his back soothingly. It was true that my family was everything to me. Never have I thought I'd get to this point, so the fact I have made me so incredibly grateful. Like all families, we had our fights and conflicts, but at the end of the day, it was all five of us together, and that's what mattered the most.

I knew that while both Felix and Kayla were listening; they didn't understand just how close this family came to not existing. But Jace did. He understood just how the road we have taken was and though we left out most of the details, not wanting to traumatize our children, I suspected he knew there was more to the story than we let on.

It was when I heard his voice, muffled by my shirt, that I knew I had been right, "I'm glad you're okay,"

Kissing the side of his head, I pulled him in a little closer, holding him tightly in my arms and Lisa doing the same. The moment ended a few minutes too early though as Jace seemed to get a hold of himself as if coming to the realization he was a teenager and was supposed to be too cool to cuddle with his moms.

"Anyway, goodnight. Love you both," and with that, he ascended the stairs up to his room.

"Goodnight. Love you too," we called after him before we heard the bedroom door shut close.

"We did a good job with them, you know," Lisa voiced as her arms returned to their previous position around my waist and I allowed myself to relax against her.

"Yeah, they're good kids," I sighed in content and closed my eyes as I focused in on Lisa's heartbeat, "I'm really happy,"

"I'm really happy too," I felt her smile as she kissed my cheek.

My heart didn't flutter. Butterflies didn't erupt in my stomach. No fireworks went off. But I've learned that wasn't a bad thing. Because we were no longer lovesick college kids with all these expectations, we felt like we had to live up to. I realized all those feelings weren't what defined your love.

Lisa still made me feel nervous. She still got my heart skipping a beat or fluttering from time to time, but mostly it was like this. This content feeling, this unexplainable happiness I could not begin to describe. This warmth spreading through me like wildfire. The excitement I felt when I thought of her, even if she wasn't near. This safety and security I could only ever experience in her arms. The feeling this was where I was meant to be all along when she kissed me.

Butterflies. Fireworks. Heart flutters. For me, those were signs of infatuation. It was when you didn't feel those as much, but still felt as if you were on top of the world that you knew; this was it. And I knew. Because I was positive I have never loved her more. Lisa made me the happiest I have ever been. She made me feel loved and cared for. She took care of me when I was sick, spoonfed me soup when I refused to eat, get up at two in the morning to go to the only opened convenience store miles away just to get me the food I was craving during my pregnancy. It was those things, that warmth, that let me know just how much I loved her.

So when I felt her smile against my skin, I turned around in her arms, looking deeply into her eyes before speaking the only three words I have never doubted and I would always be sure of, "I love you,"

"Always?" she asked with a glint of playfulness in her eyes.

"Forever," nudging my nose with hers, she leaned in, capturing my lips in a soft kiss that made my body light up in the way only she could. And it was when she spoke the exact same words, did I feel my heart skip a beat.

"I love you too,"

"And for your information," I mumbled, my lips rubbing against her as I pulled away just enough to voice my thoughts, "I am cool,"

"Of course you are babe," her smile widened as she pulled me closer, our lips no longer developing each other for the smiles we were both wearing, "Of course you are,"

They say angels don't exist. They say miracles happen only in the wildest of dreams. They say good things never last. But here she was, holding me close, shielding me from all harm. Here she was; existing, ethereal, endless. And I thought how brave it was of her to prove them wrong. To prove to me, I was stupid to believe them.

So it was moments like these that I knew, without a shadow of a doubt; I'd choose her.

In a hundred lifetimes.

In a hundred worlds.

In any version of reality.

I'd find her, and I'd choose her.

And it was the fact she'd choose me too that made our story so beautiful.

-

The End

-

Approximately
1 193 pages
Word count 321 983

-

A/N: Well, that's it, guys. LINE and HOF have both officially come to an end. I hope you enjoyed reading the story as much as I enjoyed writing it. Seeing as I started university and have a job, I don't really have the time to write anymore so I won't be coming out with a new story. However, if I have time I will update the one-shot book I have started writing so keep an eye open for that. If I do decide to publish a new story though, I'll let you guys know through the announcements on my board so make sure to follow me so you stay in the loop. Anyway, thank you so so much to every single one of you for supporting me on this journey and expressing your love toward the book, it means the world to me. Never have I thought my work would reach such an audience and I'm forever grateful. I wish all of you just the best in life and hopefully, none of you have to experience anything similar to the pain I've made my characters go through. Till next time ;)

P.S. To those who asked why certain sentences were written the way they were (like Rosie addressing Lisa in her monologues as "you" instead of "her" etc.) I hope the epilogue cleared it up... if not... dude, she's telling the story to her kids and reminiscing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 5.3K 36
would you take the chance at love? Even if it's wrong? would you push all through, even if your love is just too impossible to pass? will you? or wil...
50.2K 1.3K 16
In the darkest corner of Seoul laid the worn out Luxury Ten theater. It was still running but only the lowest of the low went to hang out there. Gang...
168K 3.9K 19
"I can't do that to her...She's my bestfriend." "Rule number two :We can't catch feelings for each other." "You have a twin sister what the fuck??!"...
15.8K 793 18
Will you go back to the place where your heart feels at home and in hell at the same time? An original ChaeSoo ft. JenLisa FanFiction. Do not reuplo...