Chemical Poison . Howard Stark

Av marvel-c-universe

Ana Lorenz was never good at playing an act, but what happens when family politics and science forces her to... Mer

chemical poison
character art
summery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35, Part 1
Chapter 36, Part 2
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 7

1.2K 71 25
Av marvel-c-universe

Click-Click-Click

The sound of her heels echoed across the hard floor, ricocheting through the air. She was all too aware that the silence, this strange quietness was not from the crisp noise when her heel hits the floor, but from the fingers wrapped around her waist. The long, warm fingers digging into her blouse.

All eyes, every single eye, was on Howard Stark's fingers resting on her waist. His hips far too close to her own, attacking all modesty she upheld in every aspect of her life. She knew her cheeks were flushed, she was beyond embarrassed. Her eyes remained on the floor, knowing she couldn't stare at any of the employees in the eye. 

"I hate you," Anneliese hissed, not bothered to cover her accent, "I hate you, I hate you so mu-"

Howard's fingers jerked slightly lower, causing an involuntary yelp to leave Anneliese's mouth. She had never turned her head so quickly to face him, glaring at him. His boyish grin plagued his lips, a sense of proud achievement. She absolutely loathed him, detested him.

The very second they appeared in front of the boardroom, Anneliese smacked Howard's fingers away from her waist and harshly grabbed her bag from his hands. Puffing loudly as she stormed past him and into the office, Anneliese was beyond angry. Ironically, it seemed Howard had managed to make two Lorenz's utterly and most certainly pissed off. And that, in fact, was dangerous. 

Without any care Alexander and her father's presence, she waited for Howard to leisurely enter the room before she slammed in closed. Breathing loudly as she stared at the man, her bag long forgotten on the floor. She couldn't stop her fingers from curling into a fist which were stretched straight towards the floor. 

"What have you done," she asked calmly. Trying her best to count her breathing.

Breath in, breath out, breath in-

"-It was the perfect solution."

Scoffing, Anneliese couldn't believe what she was hearing. She stormed past Howard and towards the table where a copy of the morning paper rested, Anneliese and Howard on the very front. Harshly scrunching the paper under her hand, she waved it above her head before the onslaught ensued. 

"This? You call this a perfect solution," Anneliese rapidly waved the paper more vigorously, almost dangerously so. "This is a stupid solution, an absolute joke. All this will do is prove Mr Anderson to be partially correct, that I slept my way to the bloody top!"

Her voice grew with each deep breath, but her eyes never left Howard's. Infuriating her more as she watched his smile grow. "Do you think that's funny?"

The question was a rhetoric one, but Howard nodded.

She was going to murder the man.

Screeching under her breath, Anneliese stormed back in front of Howard, waving the paper in front of his eyes. No longer caring if she injured him, he could fire her for all she cared for. She didn't want to see his curved smile no more.

"OH FOR-", Anneliese yelled before pausing, forcing herself to breath. In a lower voice, but no less venomous, she spoke, "It is already hard enough for any man to listen to listen to me as a women, let alone a German."

Her accent returned, no longer the ditzy New York one she usually always used when she was with anyone but her father. It seemed to get the message across quickly as she watched Howard's wide slowly begin to tick. "Do you understand how much harder it is going to be for me to do my job? I don't have a wealthy banker father behind me or your male privilege. i don't get second chances or first ones. I have to do everything correct on the first go, or that's enough for me to be done for. And now you have thrown yet another challenge in my face. It solved your issues for hiring such imbeciles, but it only makes my life harder!"

Without any warning, her hand connected with Howard's cheeks, the SLAP echoing around the room.

Taking a few seconds to calm down, to brush down her skirt and hair, she stared at Howard; fiery hell was all he would be able to see. Not even taking a chance to breath, she hissed, "This stupid plan of yours put me in the press, a location I've purposely manipulate to remain outside of it. Up to this date, I've succeed. Now, you've thrown me to the wolves... all because Alexander decided he had a smart idea."

Slamming the crinkled paper to the ground, making an exceptionally loud BANG, Anneliese glared up at Howard through her eyelashes. "I have no option but to do this stupid plan of yours, but I get to dictate what happens. Your only duty to this is to ensure my name is not absolutely wrecked, because if it is... I'll bring down Stark Industrials with me."

The threat wasn't empty, and Howard seemed to get the answer. His gaze was just as intense on Anneliese, as her's was on his.

"Noted," he commented.

Narrowing her eyes further, Anneliese stated her compromised. "When the press ask, you pursued me, begged me, followed me until I agreed. You're the love sick puppy, you got that?" Anneliese didn't even wait for a reply as she continued. "This fake romance only started a few weeks ago, and you had my fathers permission. And when they do, and for merlins sake, I hope they do not ask... if there is any questions about intimacy-"

Breathing a loud breath, Anneliese continued to speak harshly as she glared at Howard. "There is and will be none. I am not your play thing or whore. You will inform them that I plan to wait until marriage, and you will forego your playboy ways in respect for this."

The sly grin across Howard's face grew as he nodded in agreement to her demands, only infuriating her further. But she had much more important matters to deal with, which included a series of vile thoughts on how she would murder Alexander. Turning around, she wanted to pluck the pearly white teeth from Alexander's grin, and more-so when she witnessed her father's raised eyebrow at her outburst. 

Taking the seat next to him, she took his hands in her own as she begun apologising all in German. Howard and Alexander did not deserve to know anything more, they had done enough. Exploited her sense of duty to Stark Industrials, enough was enough.

"Sorry, papa-", she whispered.

Her father interrupted in perfect German, his pronunciation crisper than Anneliese's. "Nonsense, nonsense. As much as I detest the man, you could be good for him. Humble him, I mean. He's certainly going to put you in danger, but I'm sure you're well aware."

Hearing his words, he wasn't wrong. There was a reason why Anneliese applied as a press assistant and not a scientists. Knowing very well she would've passed the test Stark Industrial's has all new scientists take before they join the company. That would mean the press could remember her name, use her name. Female scientists weren't all to common.

But working in press meant you manipulated communication, and she needed to do that. She had to survive. It is so much easier to be invisible to the eye - to Germany - when you held the pen to write the story. Howard, in his little act, had basically thrown her name across the country. 

If they weren't aware of her, they definitely knew who she was now.

"However, I believe the next dinner with Mr Webber will be quite the night."

Sighing as her father's attempt of humour, she switched the conversation quickly.

"Would you like to meet Doctor Erskine?", She asked and her father nodded his head quickly.

Getting herself up from her seat, she exited the room. The wondering eyes of employees still remained on her as she walked towards a different room where the SSR was seated. Working on details that didn't concern Stark Industrials in the slightest. Including the very man she was looking for, Abraham Erskine.

As she entered, all eyes fell on her. Standing up straight, Anneliese spoke clearly. "The meeting has been delayed by twenty minutes. You're more than welcome to remain seated in here until I have an assistant come fetch you."

Colonel Philips nodded his head before he turned back to discussing some sort of security with another agent. Yet, Anneliese did seem to care to listen as her eyes trained onto Doctor Erskine, who sat idly in the corner of the table. Once she made it directly in front of him, she interrupted the small chatter within the room. "Is it alright if I steal Doctor Erskine before the meeting... to go over some of the machinery necessary? So we can begin the construction whilst the meeting is going ahead."

Waiting on the nods from both the Colonel and Agent Carter, Abraham just stared at her curiously. More so when Agent Carter helped him onto his feet and made his way over to Anneliese. Out of pure instinct with her father, noticing how fragile he seemed to also be, she offered her arm for him to hold onto. 

As they left the room slowly, she noticed he had a similar limp to her father, if anything, slightly better. However, unlike her father, he didn't utilise a walking cane.

"I've been told you're a good man", she whispered in German, and she watched his eyes grow in fear. "And I believe good men like you deserve good things."

Abraham fingers clasped around Anneliese's. "I'm not a good man. People like us can not be good, but we can build something good."

Nodding in agreement, she continued to walk him down the corridor, neither speaking another word in german. The corridor seemed to grow back in loudness once she stopped, it seemed speaking German openly whilst assisting an elderly German man towards the board room was quite a sight. Give it to the rich American's to assume the two were planning some sort of malicious attack, her bets was that they all thought they were going to blow the building in the name of the Nazi Regime. 

Opening the door slowly, she felt Abraham stop moving. "Doctor Erskine, I would like to introduce you to my father," She paused, feeling her stomach churn as she quietly said her father's name.  "Josef Lorenz."

It was terrifying, if Anneliese was to be honest. She rarely said his name, in fear that her uncle would have him killed if she uttered the name. More so, she was worried that Doctor Erskine wasn't a good person or a person who liked her father. This felt dangerous, and all Anneliese wanted was luxury.

Yet, within a moment. She witness Abraham freeze up and then the next he had swiftly limped towards her father and embraced him. Her mouth gaped open slightly as she watched tears prickle in her father's eyes, crying noises coming from Doctor Erskine. Maybe, she was wrong. It was obvious to anyone, that the two were close. They had a past.

They whispered words that fell deaf to her ears, so she took in the sight of them. Two elderly men with greying hair and plenty of wrinkles, holding onto one another impossibly tight, as if letting go meant never seeing one another again. Anneliese concluded that he was some sort of family, by blood or choice. 

All communications with friends and family was cut once they left Germany, neither wanting to risk being located if they sent a letter to any of them. So to everyone in Germany, the Lorenz family was executed... and only Erna, her mother, was given a funeral. 

"I thought you died, my Josef," Abraham whispered, his words catching his tongue. "They told me... that they caught your boat... blew it to pieces, my dear, dear friend."

Her father's forehead rested against Abraham's, and Anneliese had an overwhelming sadness come over her. It was sudden and completely out of character for her, but nonetheless, she felt absolutely sadden at the sight. "I'm sorry for your family, my brother. I am so sorry. The sacrifice... I can't even imagine... my dear brother."

Anneliese's eyes widen. As if the world came crashing down all at once. Memories of the past flashed past her eyes, and hot coco on December 24th was all she could smell. And it all suddenly hit her. He wasn't a good man, no.

He was the man that she called uncle, a friend of her fathers. The reason they escaped.

Where her parents address him as brother or Abraham, she knew she had only called him one thing. Only ever giving him such a prestigious title.

She had called him Onkel; the only uncle she would accept. Even if he wasn't blood.

"Der Onkel?", She whispered, and both men's eyes met hers. "Are you der Onkel?", she asked again, in a mix of German and English.

He nodded his head, and Anneliese's eyes suddenly welled up, tears threatening to fall from her waterline. "Marlene? Klaus? Die Tante?"

The cool air hit her cheeks as tears begun to slip past her lashes slowly as she watched Abraham shake his head. No. None of them had survived. All dead.

"Was it him?", she asked, almost growling, "Was it him?", she repeated.

Before anyone could respond, a knock at the door alerted everyone. Turning to face one of the many secretaries Alexander supposably required, she informed them all that the meeting will be commencing shortly. Waiting for her to leave, Anneliese gently dabbed her tears away with her fingers. Carefully avoiding her lashes and ruining her makeup.

Glancing back at her father, she spoke, "Let me take you to Howard's office, papa-"

"No," Abraham stated, "I want Josef on the team."

Anneliese's eyes grew large at Abraham's suggestion. "I'm not letting my father any where near the war."

Her father shook his head, and she suddenly felt so much smaller. "You started this all Anneliese," He begun saying in German, "You decided to join first, you don't get to decided if I join or not. Regardless, he knows that we're now actively working against him now."

He was right, yet, Anneliese didn't want to admit it. Luckily, Howard did.

"Technically, it is Anneliese's call. However, as her handsomely charming boss, I'll allow you on the team. I heard you're quite the man when you have a lab coat on."

Ignoring his comment, she resigned to the fact that her father was now more in danger than ever before. But the past couldn't be rewritten, so she purposely ensured her father sat exactly next to her - kicking Alexander out of his seat. Slowly the SSR agents filled the room, their eyes curiously trying to understand the tension radiating off of Anneliese. Unknown to their eyes, Anneliese had an issue with the very four men she was alone with earlier. It seemed, the tension was thicker than blood. Once everyone sat down, the meeting commenced. Howard begun discussing that the machines would be finished by next year, early 1943, at the absolute earliest.

"Miss Lorenz," Howard said. "As head of Project Rebirth, can you please inform everyone of the plan again."

Nodding her head, she raised herself from her seat, and walked towards the blackboard behind Howard's chair. With whatever small amount of intelligence he had left, he took her seat, allowing the room to clearly see her. 

"The machinery necessary to inject the serum will be completed by New Years, however, we do not have what we need to curate the serum... and the machinery that we have is certainly  inferior to Hydra's," She paused, taking a deep breath. "Stark Industrials will do what we promised, starting from after this meeting. Abraham and the SSR scientists will be required to stay at Stark Industrials to help in the efforts to create these massive machines."

"It is necessary that the SSR also follow the rules we put down. We require security for any employee dealing with sensitive information, and a rigorous routine check of the premise to ensure that no assassins, no nazi or hydra individuals enter. And with that being said, that no confidential information is leaked to the press. It is your utmost important job to ensure the survival of Stark Industrials employees, and the scientists involved in this project."

"The SSR, as already agreed, will have Agent Carter as head of missions when Colonel Phillips is not available, and Agent Carter will be wherever Abraham is. This is non-negotiable. It is essential that the SSR follow the timetable, including, choosing an eligible volunteer by 1943... at the latest."

Using chalk, she wrote up Abraham's and her father's name. "A new and non-negotiable rule, that if not followed, will cause Stark Industrials to dissolve its contract with the SSR and American Government, is the protection for Josef Lorenz."

The room grew rowdy, as the SSR agents begun complaining about why they had to 'baby watch another German'. Anneliese allowed them to voice their complaints, letting them run rampaged until they paused, realising that nothing was going to change. It was non-negotiable.

"Unlike everyone else in this room, Hydra wants Abraham for the serum, but wants Josef dead because the secrets he knows. They both fled, and are now enemies to both the Nazi and Hydra regime, killed if caught. If you do not want to offer any protection for my father, you can find yourself no longer on this operation. It will be Abraham who will create the serum, but it will be my father that builds the machines with Stark Industrials. Do you, or do you not... want to win the war?"

The room was quiet, an unnatural silence, as the Colonel nodded his head. "Miss Lorenz, If you don't mind me asking... would you need protection, due to your relationship with Mr Lorenz?"

Taking Howard's seat at the end of the board room meeting, she shook her head, "Just my father, they don't care for a woman like myself."

The lie easily came from her tongue, like water flowing through fingers. The room continued to plan, to talk, and to question and contradict one another. Abraham and her father, partaking in explaining how much more advanced hydra was to Stark Industrials, with Alexander making jokes that Howard's ego was deflating.

The meeting went for hours, coffees came and Muffins left half eaten. None of them left the room until mid afternoon. For the first time, the SSR and Stark Industrials agreed on a completion date, the cost and all other small but intricate details. 

Anneliese let herself breathe, not realising she had been holding her breath until Howard shook hands with Colonel Philips, and the SSR agents took their leave. Abraham stayed behind, where he would be taking up residency in a safe house within Stark Industrials; the top floor in the right wing was strictly prohibited to everyone but the CEO himself... Howard Stark.

"That was... long," Alexander smirked, as he flatten his blonde hair back. Anneliese could see the usual greasy shine from the gel in his hair, unfortunately a big fashion trend at the time. "Are we placing bets how long the financial meeting is going to be for you," he tipped his head towards Howard, "Was it March 31st when you last went to a meeting... and Anneliese dear... what's the date?"

Anneliese's lips curled into a grin, wanting nothing more than to watch Howard squirm after his little stunt in the newspaper. "I believe today is August 12th", she continued as she collected her papers. "Should I have Mr Jarvis ready a dinner for yourself and Harold Lockes?"

The dread in Howard's face was enough for Alexander to slap his knee in laughter, before excusing himself. Leaving the four remaining in the room.

"Schatzi," Her father said, his voice laced with his accent, "Would you mind if I stayed with Abraham, so he isn't alone?"

Knowing she would not be able to win if she argued, she sighed and glanced at Howard, saying everything without a word passing through her lips. She watched as Howard nodded his head in agreement, and for some reason, he was leaning onto the table... his hands firmly against the top.

He was staring her down, almost as if he was a predator. And even that didn't describe it, he was drinking her or perhaps engulfing her. Stuck between a limbo of the sheer inappropriateness of Howard's act, she excused herself by quickly speaking.

"Ring if you need anything, I'll have Howard come collect your stuff tonight."

Abraham whispered to her father before he spoke directly to Anneliese. "Your mother would be proud to know how kind you've grown to be." Mouth gaped, again, she watched him as he assisted her father to his feet, who was stabilising himself with his cane. "Thank you for looking after my dear friend, Schatzi."

Bowing her head slightly, she picked up her bag and opened the door for the two elderly German men. With Howard walking by her said, they walked between Abraham and her father. Agent Carter and one of Howard's own security men followed closely behind.

Anneliese could pick up on some of their conversations, but nearly all of it was spoken quietly in German, and she couldn't seem to catch any of the words.

She instantly felt Howard's hand rest on her back. "What are you doing?", Anneliese growled lowly, remembering exactly what he was interacting with her in such a manner.

A small laugh dripped from his lips, "Playing the love sick puppy."

"Have I mentioned how much I hate you, Mr Stark."

"Is it Mr Stark now? Not Howard?"

Narrowing her eyes as she entered the elevator, she was grateful for the lack of employees in the elevator. Allowing the trip to be in silence. Upon arriving on the seventh floor, they walked down the hallway that lead them towards Howard's office. To the right was the entry to his private residence and safe home, which required numerous security measures to enter. All in which Howard had made and chosen to not inform the American Government. An eye scan, a finger print scan, a 7 digit code and a voice identification was all used to unlock the first door. Another door was locked with a large vault lock, which Howard unlocked easily, and without any issue.

He welcomed them to the area, a small complex with plenty of room for two elderly men. The two left in a hurry after Howard explained that his collections of scientific journals were all kept in the end room to the left.

Laughing lightly at the excitement from the two men- 

-she was instantly aware of Howard's presence behind her, pressing up behind her. His arms wrapped around her body, cocooning Anneliese. 

"W-what?", Anneliese stuttered.

He instantly let go (and muttered to himself, in what Anneliese assumed was 'too early'), and flashed his teeth.

"I am going to start calling you Schatzi... until you tell me the meaning behind it."

Before Anneliese could respond about how disturbing it would be for him to call her that nickname, a small cough came from behind them. It was Howard's security and Agent Carter. 

Howard straighten himself up, before speaking, in his usual low voice. However, he did not let go of Anneliese, his hands still fully wrapped around her midsection. "The second fridge is fake, inside it is an emergency elevator that goes directly down to the ground floor. If you need to leave, do so from that. The code to utilise it is 7777, ironically easy. Please make yourself comfortable Agent Carter... I hope the men don't drive you insane."

She nodded her head. "We will have another meeting about security detail in three months time, for when Abraham will be required to begin selecting the volunteer."

Her British accent shocked Anneliese every single the time. Even more so was the number of badges on her uniform or how lovely her hair was curled, she would have to ask how she did her hair like that.

With Howard's security already understanding his directions, the two left the same way they came. Closing up the locks, and finally down the elevator.

"It's just a nickname for children," Anneliese promoted, the silence of the elevator growing torturous by every second. "It would be inappropriate for you to call me by that."

His head turned to the ground, a smile wide enough for Anneliese to see. "What?" She asked.

He glanced back up, "Alexander is going to hate you so much," He let loose a wild laugh, surprising the poor elevator man, "I just found a new excuse to make Alexander attend the financial meeting for me."

Raising her eyebrow in question, he delivered the answer.

"What type of man would I be, if I didn't help my girlfriend move her father's stuff?"

As the elevator opened, Alexander was standing right in front of both of them. Staring down Howard with a glare that startled Anneliese. Instantly, she watched Howard leap back from the elevator door and behind Anneliese as Alexander delivered his threat.

"A deadman for sure."

*edited 10/12/21

I DID THIS AND MY LAPTOP DIED HALF WAY THROUGH, so idk where I was up to editing... so y'all I'll come back to this one again later.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

7K 354 15
~~Completed~~ The Avengers find a girl being experimented on at a Hydra base. They never would have imagined that she would have ties to Tony's past...
639K 17.4K 21
Ever wonder what drove Howard stark against HYDRA? His daughter y/n Stark, owes her life to it. At the age of twenty one y/n disappeared and HYDRA wa...
889K 15.3K 55
"Trust me Barnes, I'm pretty hard not to be attracted to." --- [Bucky Barnes x Female OC] *TRIGGER WARNINGS: Mentions of Alcohol misuse, Pregnancy to...
13.1K 664 28
He's alive, but Betty is still separated from her love. His memories are returning but there's still one thing he doesn't remember...their life toget...