SUNSTRUCK | outer banks ¹

By appetenxe

IN WHICH a runaway finds her safe haven extended description inside → season one ← → book one ← (...outer ban... More

SUNSTRUCK
ZERO. (runaway child)
ONE. (long time no see)
TWO. (new girl)
THREE. (hurricane rules)
FOUR. (power outage)
FIVE. (not an armed robbery)
SIX. (island breakdown)
SEVEN. (the boy with the gun)
EIGHT. (the cursed compass)
NINE. (nothing like bonding)
TEN. (heebie jeebies)
ELEVEN. (pogue status)
TWELVE. (the next steps)
THIRTEEN. (distraction game)
FOURTEEN. (midnight swimming)
FIFTEEN. (only friends)
SIXTEEN. (the start of nothing)
SEVENTEEN. (about last night)
EIGHTEEN. (somebody i used to know)
NINETEEN. (it might go down)
TWENTY. (second nature)
TWENTY ONE. (costume party)
TWENTY TWO. (mackin' sarah cameron)
TWENTY THREE. (body language)
TWENTY FOUR. (what the fuck was that for?)
TWENTY FIVE. (love just walked in)
TWENTY SIX. (jj's cousin's cripple)
TWENTY SEVEN. (axe murderer)
TWENTY EIGHT. (old habits)
TWENTY NINE. (good luck)
THIRTY ONE. (the ferry)
THIRTY TWO. (clearly you)
THIRTY THREE. (sweetheart)
THIRTY FOUR. (i'll see you soon)
MOONLIGHT

THRITY. (for whatever happens)

5.1K 119 40
By appetenxe

I was the first to pull back, already craving the feeling of his lips on mine again. "so, how's that good luck feel?" I joked, making the boy laugh. "pretty good, guess I should probably go use it, huh?" He asked, his eyes not leaving mine.

    "Yeah, and good luck with fishing tomorrow," I told him and he smiled. "Do I get another kiss for that too?" His cocky question earned him a shove. "Fair enough," He said, holding his hands up in defense.

    "We should go, you have to be up early," I said, pushing my hair from my face. "Yeah," John B agreed, standing up and following me. "Thanks for taking me here," I said as I got down the ladder. The moonlight was shining through the stained glass windows and it created a beautiful ray of color.

    "I just thought that you'd appreciate it as much as I do, and I care about this place a lot. And I care about you a lot." He said as we got closer to the van.

    "John B, It's beautiful truly, and I'm really glad we came out here. I'm glad we got the chance to finally talk about everything" I told him as I got into the passenger side.

    "And I, uh" I stumbled over my words, not sure how to phrase what I wanted to say to the boy. "I got hurt a few months ago, really bad and I just need to know if this is something you want. If not being with Sarah is what you want" He shook his head and leaned forward, his hand cupping my cheek.

    "I don't feel the way I feel about you for anyone else. I don't want to be with anyone else Lane." I felt the blush rise to my cheeks as he spoke. The nickname he used not leaving my head.

    "Okay"

    "heading home?" He asked.

    "Yeah," I responded, keeping my eyes on him as he drove. He let out a laugh, looking between me and the road. "what?" He asked. "Nothing, just happy right now" I admitted and he smiled.

    "Here we are m'lady," He said once we pulled into the driveway making me lightly laugh. I unbuckled my seat belt and leaned across the console to kiss him on the cheek.

    "ill see you tomorrow," I said as I moved and got out of the van, turning to wave as I walked towards the house.

    After John B drove away I began making my way to the house but I couldn't help but notice the set up of bright shining lights at the chateau. I furrowed my brows, deciding to walk over.

    "Are you kidding me? You could have paid for restitution!" Pope yelled and as I heard it, I picked up my pace. "or literally given it to any charity!" Kiara let out and as I got closer I could see why they were upset.

    There JJ sat, in a huge hot tub surrounded by no doubt very expensive lights with a bottle of champagne in his hand. "or better yet, you could have helped us buy supplies to get the rest of the gold out of the well!" Pope continued and as I walked up I could see JJ rub his forehead, clearly stressed out.

    "Okay well, you know what, I didn't do that!" JJ shouted, standing up to reveal the many large bruises scattered on his torso. I let a gasp out of my mouth as I looked at him, tears welling up in my eyes.

    "I got a hot tub for my friends, I got a hot tub for my friends. you know what? No, you know what? Screw friends, I got a hot tub for my family. I got this for you. Guys look what I did for you! All right? Look at this! Look at this!" He let out, my heart breaking as I watched him.

    "JJ" I choked out.

    "No, you stop being emotional. It's fine, okay? I mean it's sweet, right?" He began saying, but I walked toward him, ignoring the fact I was still wearing clothes and climbed into the hot tub, pulling JJ into a hug immediately.

    As soon as I did he curled into my arms, sobbing. I cried as I held him, the sight of the boy shattering my heart. Kiara got into the hot tub too, moving towards us and joining the hug too.

    "I just couldn't do it" JJ let out, wrapping his arms tighter around me. "I can't take him anymore!" He cried out. "I was gonna kill him" I closed my eyes, holding him as tightly as I could.

    Pope walked over, not getting into the hot tub but wrapping his arms around the three of us. "I just wanna do the right thing" JJ let out. "I know, I know" Kiara cried, the four of us standing there hugging for a while longer.

    When I woke up it took me a second to remember the night before. I had spent the night at the Chateau with JJ, Pope and Kiara. I was laying on the pull-out couch, Kiara next to me. As I sat up I could hear Pope working outside.

    "You ever get any sleep?" I asked as I walked down the steps towards him. "Nah, gotta do everything for you lazy ones" He joked.

    "Oh really, I see how it is," I said with a laugh, sitting down on one of the chairs. "so, where'd you and John B take off to yesterday?" He asked curiously, his eyes still focused on what he was doing.

    "top secret," I said, and watched as he laughed. "So how complicated are things going to get?" He asked, looking back at me.

     "Hopefully they won't" I answered, making eye contact with the boy. "so, you really like him huh?" He asked and I scoffed. "shut up" My words made him laugh.

    "Oh come on, I'm right you know" He called to me as I playfully rolled my eyes and walked back into the house. Kiara still sleeping on the couch.

    I made my way toward the room that JJ was sleeping in. I placed a few light knocks on the door and waited. After a second or two the door handle twisted and the door opened.

    "Morning sweetheart" He let out, moving past me. "you wanna let me clean those up?" I asked, following behind him.

    I watched as he let out a sigh before turning. "yeah, okay" He said and the two of us made our way to the bathroom. "we don't have to talk about it" I started, sitting on the bathroom counter as I opened the bottle of rubbing alcohol.

    "I wanted to show him I could get the money on my own, maybe make him proud but he wanted to spend the money on his things and, god I hate it!" He let out, slamming his fist on the counter. I grabbed his hand before I poured the rubbing alcohol onto a pad.

    "I almost killed him Elle" He shut his eyes, taking a shaky breath. "you're okay now, I promise" I assured him and I laid my hand over his. "Thank you," He said, moving so I could jump off the counter.

    Neither of us said anything about our moment in the bathroom and we headed outside. JJ tossed me a beer from the cooler and he sat on the edge of the hot tub, the spot next to him being filled by me.

    "John B pulling a Houdini" JJ let out as he put his beer down, picking up a handful of water and throwing it at me. I let out a shriek and shove him lightly.

    "Yeah, where is he? I have my scholarship interview tomorrow morning. We gotta get this done" As Pope spoke he continued to test the pulley system.

    I watched Kiara make faces but my attention soon went to John B who was walking over. "speak of the devil. Hey dude, I set up the entire winch to pull up the gold and everything" JJ lied. "No he did not" Pope said, making sure JJ wasn't taking the credit.

    "John B?" I asked as I watched him storm towards the house, seeming as if he didn't hear a word we said. "uh, what's that all about," Pope asked, walking towards the house too, all four of us outside the door. "I was gonna ask you the same question," I let out as I looked at Pope.

    I was the first to go in, watching as John B looked around the house. "Are you all right?" I asked, standing close to JJ's side once he and the others got inside." what are you looking for?" Kiara asked, looking over at me.

    "bro what's going on man," JJ asked, as he watched John B lift the cushions on the couch. When I saw what John B pulled out my eyes widened.

    "John B what do you need the gun for?" JJ asked, but John B didn't answer and when JJ got in his way he threw him onto the couch, pushing past him and pushing Pope out of his way too before running out the door. "John B chill!" Kiara yelled at the boy.

    I stayed back a second to make sure the two boys were okay before following Kiara out the door and down the steps. "John B what the hell!" I yelled as we saw him get on JJ's bike.

    "Ward knows about the gold. He killed my dad" As the words left his mouth the tone changed. Everyone stood frozen in our spots as we processed what he said. He sped off on the bike and the four of us tried to run after him but we failed.

    "fuck" I cursed, stopping next to JJ. I ran my hand through my hair and let out a frustrated sigh. "what do we do?" Kiara asked as she defeatedly walked back.

     "We should probably go look for him," Pope suggested as he came back to the group.

    "what about splitting up, two of us go to Tanneyhill to make sure he's not there. Someone stays here if he comes back. Someone take the Twinkie and just drive around?" My plan seemed to be one everyone agreed to.

    "me and Pope can take Tanneyhill" Kiara spoke up. "I'll take ol' Twinkie out," JJ said as he patted the van.

    "Okay and I'll stay here" I agreed. "what do we do if one of us finds him?" Kiara asked and I bit the inside of my lip. We still had no power and that meant no phones.

    "Just meet back here at some point tonight. If we don't find him within the hour he's probably hiding out somewhere." Pope told us and we nodded. After a few minutes passed, it was just me at the Chateau.

    I walked out to the dock, sitting down as I tossed some rocks in. I leaned my head back against the post, watching the water as the sky began to darken.

    As I sat, waving my feet through the water I swore I could hear one of the doors at the Chateau open and shut. I looked up, squinting my eyes as I glanced around trying to see someone. I reached next to me as I stood and picked up a blue pocket knife JJ had given me a few days prior.

    As I started walking toward the house I could hear someone shout something and I swallowed hard. I walked closer to the house, holding the pocket knife tightly as I made it up the steps. My heartbeat was rapid and I was taking shallow breaths.

    I opened the creaky door and froze, hearing whoever was in the house drop what was in their hand. I shut my eyes, taking a deep breath. I took some steps forward, heading for Big John's office.

    I took a second to prepare myself for whoever was in the room. As I got to the hallway I started taking slow and quiet steps. Taking another deep breath as I got to the door frame.

    I turned and held the knife up, coming face to face with a gun. John B's eyes widened as he lowered the gun quickly and began apologizing. "I'm so sorry Lane. I thought you were Ward" He explained and I tilted my head back as I folded the pocket knife back up and slipped it into my flannel.

    "I thought you were Ward too" I let out, placing my hand on my temple. "are you-" I started but quickly decided it wasn't a good time to ask that question.

     "What happened?" I asked him as I watched him grab a picture of his dad from the board.

    "Sarah doesn't believe me, I mean I don't blame her. I don't think I'd believe someone if they told me my dad had killed someone." John B said as he walked through the house and out the door, I followed close behind.

    We made it to the dock and sat down. I watched as John B took a wicker basket and placed the photo into it. "Do you have a lighter?" He asked and I nodded, grabbing one from my pocket and giving it to the boy.

    I watched as he lit the photo on fire and placed the basket in the water, watching it slowly float away. "goodbye dad" He said, I put my arm on his shoulder, the only thing I could think of to do.

    "I uh didn't break up with Sarah yet" He admitted and I almost laughed. "JB, that doesn't matter right now, you're going through too much to be thinking about that" I reassured him, interlocking my hand with his.

    "I just don't know" He was honest and I nodded. A small part of my heart broke slightly but it was selfish to feel like that when he was going through so much.

    "I'm sorry" He apologized and I shook my head. "You don't know what? That you're gonna break up with her?" I asked and he didn't even look over at me. "yeah" I scoffed at his response, sure it may be selfish because of what he's going through but he told me not even twenty four hours before that he didn't want to be with anyone else and now he doesn't know if he's gonna break up with Sarah.

    I stood, walking down the dock slightly without another word. "wait!" He called out, stopping me. He stood up and walked over. He quickly unwrapped the bandana from his neck and grabbed my arm.

    I shut my eyes as I felt his touch on my skin, and it felt like being sunstruck just like the first time I had met him by the ferry.

    When I felt his presence disappear I turned my head slightly, watching as he sat back down on the dock. I let out a sigh before looking down at my arm, his blue bandana tied around it.

    "for whatever happens" The boy let out, turning and looking at me behind him. My brows furrowed in confusion and he took a breath, staring into my eyes this time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.5K 4.1K 46
I've said too much, in and out of wanting us. JJ MAYBANK / FEM!OC KIARA CARRERA / FEM!OC OBX SEASON 2
45.9K 717 31
𝑴𝒂𝒅𝒆𝒍𝒚𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑱𝑱 𝒇𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒉𝒊𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒓𝒆𝒍𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒔𝒉𝒊𝒑 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓.
135K 3.4K 50
IN WHICH an honorary kook gets mixed up in a treasure hunt not even a week after moving to the island her uncle lives on. (...jj x fem oc) (formerly...
529K 5K 61
Ashley moved to Outer Bank from Australia when she was 14 with her abusive and alcoholic dad. 2 years later and she is 16 and has found herself being...