The Blood Rite

By GabrielaVRivera

Newborn vampire Ruby Diaz must master her new powers in order to defeat a notorious vampire cult planning to... More

Dedication
Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
First Kiss
Chapter Six
Mary
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Mary
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Talon
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Talon
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Talon
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Flowers
Chapter Twenty Seven
Talon
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Talon
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Talon
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Halloween
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Thank You

Chapter Forty Seven

57 5 2
By GabrielaVRivera

"Ruby," she sighed, her voice cracking. The girl slumped, all tension escaping her. Ruby ran to her and gathered Halle into her arms.

"Where have you been? I've been looking everywhere."

Halle's shoulders shook. "I was being chased by them. They were relentless. I didn't want to kill them but..." she sniffed.

Halle had killed them. A part of Ruby relaxed knowing she wasn't the only one, but the other more dominate part wished Halle never had to feel that. "I'm sorry I wasn't there."

"It's okay I'm just so happy I found you."

"Me too."

They stood there in each other's arms before Ruby pulled back, a smile on her face, "Halle, Talon's alive."

The girl's eyes went wide, "What? How?"

"I don't know! But he saved me from the hunters!"

Halle smiled brightly, "Ruby, thats amazing!" She paused, chewing on her lip. Then speaking softly asked, "Is he the only one?"

Ruby's heart dropped, "I think so." Halle nodded. Her gaze darkened. "You can still ask him," Ruby said hopefully.

The girl shook her head, "No, I knew it'd be too good to be true. Come on," she smiled weakly, "let's get you some food."

Ruby didn't argue and let Halle lead her into some back room where there were small and large containers of different kinds of animal blood. Halle pointed to a container of deer blood, "This is my favorite. But I think you should have this one."

"Wolf's blood? Why that one?"

Halle grinned, "Because you're always fighting. You are the strongest person I know."

"Wow," Ruby said with a small laugh. Her eyes burned, "thank you."

Halle took a container for herself and dug around for something in her bra. Ruby barely had time to resister what she'd gotten before Halle was shoving it into her hand. It was a tall, paper wrapped straw. This time, Ruby gave a real hard laugh, "You hide these in your bra?"

"No," Halle said with a grin, "I grabbed them from a restraunt before heading here."

She shook her head, "Damn, I wish I would have thought of that."

They hurried out of the kitchen and out into the frigid air of the back alley. Talon was there, leaning up against the wall. When he saw them, his eyes went wide, "You found her?"

"Kind of. Halle, this is Talon. Talon this is Halle."

"I recognize you," Halle said, "from the Halloween party."

The light in Talon's eyes dimmed slightly and he gave a tight nod, "Yes. I remember you. I'm glad to see you alive." Halle offered a tight lipped smile in response. Ruby noticed the girl didn't ask about her girlfriend.

"Well, where should we go?" Halle asked.

"We found a spot near here," Ruby said.

The three of them crept through the city streets and into the woods. They were quiet and quick on their feet to avoid any surprise attacks from hunters or Shadows. Eventually, they made it back to the small cave unscathed. Talon skinned and cleaned his meal, two squrriels and a rabbit, and the three of them ate in silence.

After their meals, it was decided that they would take turns with watch. Halle and Ruby were to sleep first. However, as Ruby tossed and turned beside Halle, she couldn't get rid of the anxiety gnawing at her gut that she'd look up to find Talon gone. A figment of her imagination. Although she saw him every time she opened her eyes, she still feared. Slipping out from beside Halle, she left the cave to sit beside Talon on the grass.

The night was peaceful and quiet, with the scent of approaching winter. He sat pulling apart grass blades with a furrow between his brows. He didn't look up as she sat next to him, but asked, "Is it true that you can manipulate stars?"

"Yes."

"How?"

"I don't know. It isn't just stars, it's the entire night sky."

"So you can control space?"

She paused, "I don't think I can control all of space."

Talon turned towards her and only when his eyes met hers did she realize how close she'd sat next to him, "Show me."

Ruby sucked in a breath and was suddenly nervous. She'd only shown Erick, Sonya, and Halle her power. It was her's and it was personal. Because of that, Ruby lifted her hand and brought on the power.

If it wasn't for the fact that the trees were suddenly gone, she wouldn't have been able to tell the difference in their surroundings. Talon's eyes widened slightly and he stared at her power in wonder. Ruby's heart swelled.

And when her skin started to glow, his lips parted and the awe deepened.

"Ruby-"

"I know," she laughed, "it's weird."

Talon shook his head, "No. It's beautiful."

She felt her cheeks warm but didn't look away. Talon's eyes locked on her's and she was hypnotized. Ruby had always been hypnotized the moment he looked her way. She just never understand how truly, deeply, she was sucked in until now.

"Thank you," she breathed.

He laid one hand against the curve of her cheek and leaned in. With an intensity she'd never heard from him before, he said, "God, I've missed you so much, Ruby."

"I've missed you," she choked, "you don't even know how much."

Those dark, beautiful eyes searched hers. They glimmered with unshed tears as he said, "I searched for you. Day and night, I searched for you. I even went to RedZone-"

"Wait, you went back? Why?"

"To find you. Why else?" He said. It was the way he said it, as if there was no other possible reason, as if his made complete since to him, that she didn't argue.

"What happened, Talon?"

His lips pressed thin. For a moment he was silent and she didn't think he'd answer her. Then, with a sigh he leaned back. She watched with an odd mix of confusion and awe as he removed his shirt.

Then everything seemed to crumble down around her.

"Oh my god, Talon!" She cried.

He had scars all over him. Some big, some straight, some jagged. There were so many and yet it was the one on his neck that stood out. Her gums throbbed. The flesh at his throat was torn, some of it raised, and didn't appear to be healing right.

"Who bit you? What-what happened?"

"It was the night I went back to RedZone to find you," he said, "this man appeared out of nowhere. He was super pale and wore a black cloak. He tore into my neck and then kidnapped me. Him and his friends talked about wanting my blood. So they took it. Every day, they cut into me to let the blood run into their vials. I have no idea why they wanted it. But I was there for three weeks before the hunters showed up and saved me," he shook his head, scoffing, "They healed me and offered me a spot on their team. I took it thinking that I could eventually lead a hunt to rescue you from the vampires who kidnapped you."

"And you thought they were doing the same to me?" She asked. She blinked rapidly but it didn't stop the tears from rolling down her cheeks. He nodded. "Talon, I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"If I had known you'd survived I would have come back to you," she said. This drew his attention away from the ground. "I would have."

"I know," he said without missing a beat. He raked a hand through his messy hair, "I'm just glad you weren't suffering."

She gnawed on the inside of her cheek, watching him. Then with a small, sad smile she said, "Want to see something?"

"Yes."

Ruby laid her head on his shoulder and with the flick of her wrist, commanded her stars to turn into panthers, lions, birds, dolphins and more. She made them dance and race around Talon and her until he was laughing. A true, joyous laugh. Her stars danced in his dark eyes.

He stayed up even when it was her turn to watch. Ruby told him of her time at the mansion, even the part where she'd caught Orpheus converting with the Shadows.

"So what do we do?" He asked softly. They were lying back on the grass, watching the true stars.

She shrugged, "I have no idea. I was suppsed to defeat the Shadows on Orpheus's army. And now. . .I don't even know who is part of his army or if he has one."

"The Shadows are his army."

"It would make sense. But why had he expected me to work with them while telling me just how evil they were? Who are they really after?" He didn't respond, only tightened his arm around her. But Ruby played the question over and over again in her mind until it clicked. She gasped, "The hunters."

"What?"

"He's after the hunters. The Shadows aren't his army, they're his weapons. And I was going to be one of them."

Talon sat up and worry lined his features, "Do you know when they plan to strike?"

"No. Why?"

"Because, we need to stop them."

"Whoa," Ruby said, jolting up, "how are we going to stop them? You know how dangerous the Shadows are, Talon."

He sighed, "I know."

Gnawing on her cheek, Ruby ducked back to his level and grabbed his hand. There was something she had to tell him or else it would eat her up inside. "Talon," she said softly, "You know what happened between Orpheus and I," his jaw clenched, but he didn't say anything and let her continue. "I need you to know that a small part of me had fallen for him. Had fallen for the facade he wore. But, you've always held my whole heart and you always will."

Talon froze. As a human, she didn't think it was possible for him to go so still but he did. Ruby didn't think he was breathing.

Slowly his eyes lifted to hers, searching her face. She offered a weak smile. By the way his lips parted, Ruby could tell he got her message.

He squeezed her hand, an emotion she couldn't read shining in his eyes, "Ruby, you've had my heart since day one."

Her throat clogged with emotion and she couldn't fight it as the tears spilled over. He sighed, whispering her name, before pulling her into his arms and holding her.

They fell quiet, breathing each other in and listening to the night around them.

At some point, Talon rose to go to sleep while she stayed outside the cave, watching the woods and speaking to the stars.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~
What cuties!

Thank you for reading! Don't forget to give this chapter a VOTE to help my story!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115 14 13
DARKNESS RISING With a slight decline in crime, the people of New York City think that they are safe, but meanwhile, in the shadows, a darkness in...
1K 328 12
Monsters Are Created By Other Monsters. Sou & Isabelle, A set of eccentric and unhinged twins with erratic elemental powers has to set aside their di...
990 123 63
She is a warrior and a fighter, you can see it in her eyes. she was not only born strong but was also made ready. When fate said to her that she coul...
143K 5.7K 51
HIGHEST RANKING-1st in wedding! {23/05/18} & 1st in Laugh! {11/08/18} 13th in Romance! {03/12/18} Sequel to Mr Hulk's Jelly Bunny->Can be read as a...