Love at Second Sight

By TicTac_05

Zachary Sifton just inherited one of the best and largest chain of luxury hotels in the world, which is known... More

Author's Note
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
In-Betweens
In-Between 1
In-Between 2
In-Between 3
In-Between 4

Chapter 14

206 20 0
By TicTac_05

Is Fate getting what you deserve, or deserving what you get?

~Jodi Picoult

***

The next morning when he woke up the first thing his gaze landed on was the Post-it placed on the pillow next to him. That's when he realized that Savannah was missing. Of course. He plucked the sticky note and read it:

To Zac,

First, I hope this note finds you only. If it finds someone else, you and I will have some serious explaining to do. Anyway, jokes apart, you were sleeping soundly when I left. Didn't have the heart to wake you up. Was getting late, had to leave. I just wanted to thank you for being there for me last night. June 23 nights have always been the worst. So a very big thank you. Also, last night's sleep was one of my best in a really looooooong while. Well, juice kept for you in the refrigerator, as always. And...nothing else.

Bye. Have a good day.

Savannah.

Well...the day just started on an extremely good note—pun intended. Stretching his arms over his head, he yawned and finally got out of bed. Returning to his room, he cleaned up, dressed for work and made his way downstairs.

"Someone looks awfully happy this morning, hm?"

"Good morning to you, too, mom," he sighed.

"What's gotten in you?"

"Nothing, why?"

"Again, you look much too happy."

"Probably. I got some real good sleep last night. Better than most days."

"Mm-hm. I see."

He ate breakfast as he read the newspaper. Not a single good news. Every single article—terrible and more terrible.

"Not coming home for lunch, right?"

"Nope," he confirmed. Pressing a chaste kiss on his mom's cheek, he left for Magna.

Once he reached his office he called for his assistant, Phil Wesley.

"Wesley, come in."

"You called for me, Mr. Sifton?"

"Yes. Run me through the proceedings for the gala, will you? How far along are we?"

"Uh—yes, Mr. Sifton. Some RSVPs came this morning. I'll forward the list to you. Other than that, well, the décor company was notified and appointed—two of their employees will visit us sometime this week. Entertainment and music has been delegated to the team you picked the other day. The head of the team said that he'll be sending the different playlists that they're gonna customize according to the theme. We'll have to shortlist at most three out of those playlists. And...yes. The sponsors have been contacted. And...that's it, I suppose."

"Okay, good. You may leave. I'll call you if I need anything."

"Yes, Mr. Sifton."

"Thank you."

He was jam packed until lunch—meeting, stat review, gala arrangements and whatnot. Days like these, he'd've normally skipped lunch and gotten more work done. Today, however, was different. He couldn't, because he, instinctively, knew that he was going to get to see her. He had a strong gut feeling.

Thinking so, he strode into Le Saveurs and went around looking at the buffet. Taking whatever he wanted, he sat at his regular table. The one nearest to the kitchen doors. Naturally.

Not a long while after he sat down to eat, he heard Savannah's voice echo through the restaurant. She was talking to someone else.

"No, no. It's gonna be American only. I've already spoken to Mr. Sifton about it. And, about the beverages, our servers will be moving around with the cocktails or the guests can order whatever they want if they wish to have something besides our cocktail selections for the evening. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Savannah," said a male voice.

He kept looking out for her as she rounded the corners. "Good. Well, I told you both how we're setting up the tables and all for the gala. Right? Is that also clear?"

"Yeah."

"Good. How's the trying and testing going in the kitchen? Which of the dishes I listed out are done and which need my help?"

"I still think the Mulligatawny soup needs your assistance; we still aren't getting the flavors just right. And the Lobster Rolls also."

"Hm. Okay. I'll see how much improvement is needed for the Lobster Rolls. The original Mini Brioche Lobster Rolls are no fun to make. I'd taught y'all my version of both the dishes."

"Ah. Now I see why they're so difficult to make," Delilah commented, making Savannah laugh.

Zac didn't realize he'd been staring so fixedly until Delilah grinned at him. Oh hell, she'd noticed. He saw her nudge Savannah with her shoulder and signal towards him. He watched Savannah try and hold back her smile, and she did a real good job of it, but her eyes gave her away. They held so much mirth and delight in them, it couldn't stay hidden from him.

"Well, I'll see you in a while, Xavier and Delilah. As you can see, Mr. Sifton is here, he must have some work, of course. I'll join you."

"So, Mr. Sifton, what can I do for you?" she asked humorously.

The laughter in her eyes, the joy, the calm, the serenity...everything packed a punch into his gut. Everything she'd told him last night flooded his brain. He'd been responsible for most of the hell in her life. She'd surfaced above from all of it. Made herself into a splendid person. An impressive professional. How?

"You're spacing out, Mr. Sifton. Don't go there."

He didn't say anything, paused for a long while, then suddenly asked, "Why are you being so good to me? Why, Savannah? After everything I did to you..."

"You know," she said, as she took a seat across from him, "the Buddha used to always preach, 'do not dwell on the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.' That line is my mantra. It's been so ever since I read Buddhist philosophy. So, yeah. It's not that I've forgotten, but it also isn't that I linger in it."

"Easier said than done," he muttered. "Hey, wait. Are you a Buddhist?"

"Nope. Not a Buddhist. I just read Buddhist Philosophy back in time. And yes, it is easier said than done. I know. It took me a helluva time to implement it in reality but once you do, it's so worth it. The Buddha was inexplicably intellectual, you know. His philosophy does help."

"I see."

"If you take me up on the Buddhism thing, I have to warn you, it'll only happen slowly. Anyway, if there's nothing else, I'll leave," she told him and started to retreat back to the kitchen.

He abruptly rose from his seat and yanked her towards him by her wrist. "I didn't say that, Chef Reece. Come," he instructed, pulling her along.

"Where, Zac?" she managed to ask between bouts of laughter.

Lastly, recollecting the route they were on, she realized that he was dragging her to his office.

"What..." she laughed.

He pulled her into his office, then turned back and locked the door behind him. She was still laughing.

"Well, why are we here?"

"I have something I need your opinion on. C'mere."

"What is it?"

"Last night, you were listening to music...and I pretty much liked your taste. Stel's also mentioned ample times how much she enjoys your taste. Um, well, for the music and entertainment—the team I'd taken up has sent fifteen playlists that could be used for the gala. And, honestly, I'm having a tough time selecting the top three playlists I would want. So...help, please?"

"Maybe. What do I get in return?"

"I don't know. What do you want?"

"I'll want to think about it. So, let's just say, you owe me one for this. And, I'll cash in whenever I feel like it. Deal?"

"You run a tough bargain, Chef Reece," he commented.

"Oh, what can I say? I know. Well, play each playlist one by one."

"Okay then."

He did as she'd told him to. All the playlists were awesome. But, she'd especially liked second, fourth and tenth. They were just exceptional. But then again, she never could resist Shawn Mendes and Taylor Swift. Their voices had always been her solace. And the one song they'd duetted, Lover Remix, was simply phenomenal.

"Well?" he asked.

"Well. I do have my verdict ready."

"And?"

"Juxtapose, Blend and Whip. These three I loved the most. Choose those."

"You sure?"

"Absolutely. They're the best. Go for it."

"As you say."

"Okay. Now that we've gotten this over with, I'll take your leave. I have to get back to the kitchen, I can't stay here all day, you know."

"I know. You can go."

"Thank you!" She proceeded for the door, but he held her back by her wrist. "What?"

"No good-bye kiss?" he asked innocently and got the chance to see her blush again. Oh, she looked so pretty with all the pink on her face. God! "Come on, Reece."

She made him wait for such a long while, he grew tired of it.

"Today, Savannah Victoria Reece. I'm getting old out here."

His heart rate tripled as she slowly, leisurely made her way to him. She went up on her toes, and just as he closed his eyes anticipating the feel of her lips on her cheek, welcoming it, she moved swiftly and whispered in his ear, "I'm not that easy, you gotta work harder to get a kiss."

In the lobby, as she was going towards the kitchen, someone whistled. She knew that whistle. She'd known it since she was seven. It was Dave!

"Dave!" she yelled, turned and threw herself into his outstretched arms. "Dave! Dave! Dave! What the hell are you doing here?"

"Came to see my li'l sister." He smashed a kiss on her forehead. "How long has it been, kiddo?"

"Like I remember, you hardly even remember me these days, it seems."

"Come on, kiddo. You know it's not like that," he whined, earning her pout, the same one she'd sported since she was two and he'd absolutely adored ever since.

"So why are you here?"

"Doctor's conference in Virginia. Mel had spoken to you, yes?"

"Mm-hm."

"She told me you were here. It's not every day I get to see you, kiddo. So here I am."

"Mel's come too?"

"Hell yeah, I'm here," came Mel's voice from behind.

"Speak of the devil," muttered Dave, earning a smack from Savannah.

"She is your wife. Behave."

"So now you're Team Mel, huh?"

"Always was, Dave. Melissa!" she shouted and hugged her sister-in-law with even more enthusiasm than she had for Dave. "Where were you?"

"She was parking the car. I was so excited to see you, I couldn't wait. So, she offered to park the car while I came to you," Dave answered.

"Well, hello, sis-in-law," Mel greeted. "Aren't you super happy today?"

"Well, obviously. You and Dave have come to see me. Naturally, I'm delighted. Dave," she turned towards him, "you don't go anywhere without her, do you?"

"Never. Especially not now."

"Not now? What is that supposed to mean?" she asked. She watched as they exchanged knowing smiles. "What's happening? What. Is. Happening? Can someone fill me up?"

"Mel is pregnant," Dave told her, resting a protective hand on his wife's stomach.

"Ah, that's cool—Wait, what!" She looked at them for confirmation. Then again. And when they both nodded, she squealed. "WHAT! Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God! This is the best news ever. I am having a niece. Well, shit. I'm gonna be an aunt? I'm gonna be an aunt!"

"Gender hasn't been revealed, kiddo. We don't know whether it's a niece or a nephew for you."

"Take it in writing from me, it will be a girl. Aunt's intuition. Twenty bucks says it's a niece for me," she announced, pulled out a twenty dollar bill and slapped it into Mel's palm.

"Well then, har fucking har, kiddo, twenty say its not," Dave challenged, and added another twenty.

"Oh yeah? Wait and watch, brother, wait and watch. I'm getting twenty bucks, come what may—"

"Savannah!" Zac's voice called for her.

"Here," she yelled back.

"There you are," he said as he walked towards her.

"Well?"

"Um, I found your phone lying on my couch. Here." He handed it to her.

"Ah. Well, thank you so much," she said dismissively. She hoped to God Zac got why she did that, took the fucking hint and left. She didn't want Dave knowing who he was. 

But of course, her brother missed nothing when it came to her. "Kiddo? Who's that, won't you introduce us?"

"Ah, yes. Dave, this is Zac—Zachary Sifton, my current employer. Zac, this is my brother, Davian Reece."

Zac didn't miss that she'd introduced him as her employer. Maybe she still didn't trust him enough. But then again, he couldn't even blame her, could he?

"Pleased to me you, Mr. Reece." Zac extended his hand. When her brother didn't so much as move a muscle in his direction, he retreated it.

"Zac?" Dave asked, as if to confirm his suspicions, looking at Savannah. She simply shut her eyes and took a deep, calming breath. Now wasn't the time to reopen old wounds. But, unfortunately, Dave had seen it already and that was all the confirmation he needed to smash his fist into Zac's jaw.

"What the hell, Dave!" Savannah exclaimed.

"He's the same one, isn't he?"

"He is. But, damnit, Dave. You can't just strike him like that. He's my employer, for Christ's sake!" She lifted her hands and dropped them back down in irritation. "Understand that! You put my job in jeopardy by what you just did." When she didn't see even an ounce of apology in her brother's eyes, she swore. "Good God, Dave. It's been years since that happened—"

"I know. Trust me, I know. And, I've been wanting to beat the living daylights out of him every minute ever since. It'd do me good if you realize that I stopped after one blow just because I know your job is at stake here. Any other circumstance and he'd have ended up in the ER."

He turned his attention to Zac and continued, "I am hoping you won't fire her," he pointed towards his sister, "but if you do, I don't fucking care one bit. God knows she's suffered enough because of you. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have let her anywhere close to you in the first place. But God knows she doesn't listen to anyone. She's her own boss. But, you," he warned Zac. "If you so much as lay a finger on her, I will make sure you end up not in the ER but in the ICU. Am I clear? Come on, Mel, let's go."

Savannah ran to catch up with him, all anger and frustration long forgotten. "Wait, wait. You're not staying? Don't leave like that, please. I know you're mad at me, but don't leave like this. I'm sorry, don't go. I don't know when I'll be able to see you next."

"I'm not mad at you, kiddo. I swear, I'm not. And I'm not going because of any of this. We're going back to Cal. We have our flight in two hours. Not mad, I swear."

"You promise?" She held out her little finger. It was their thing.

He twisted her little finger with his. "Pinky promise. Really. Now, come on, give me a hug," he said, pulling her into his arms. "I'm not sorry I did that, kiddo, not at all. Okay? You wanna hate me for it, your choice."

She pressed her lips to both his cheeks. "I don't hate you. I can't. Never. It's always been us against the world, remember?"

"Of course, I do. And it's staying that way 'til one of us dies."

"Hell yeah," she agreed. "Take care of both of them. And call me when it's time. I'll take the first flight to California. And...I'm gonna miss you, Dave."

"Aw, kiddo. I'ma miss you too. Catch you later, yeah?"

"Yeah. I'll Face-Time y'all when I have time." She hugged him one last time before hugging Mel. "Take extreme care, Mama."

"Well, we gotta go. Take care of yourself, kiddo," Dave said.

"Yeah, I will. Have a safe journey, and text me once you reach home safely, okay?"

"Yes. Bye, Kiddo. I'll talk to you later," Dave said and they left.

"Bye!" she called after them. Once they were out of sight, she turned and walked back to where Zac was standing.

"Zac! Are you okay? No, I mean, obviously you're not. But, how bad is it?"

"Not that bad." He flexed his jaw. "It may or may not have been a while since someone landed me one."

"I'm extremely sorry. I have to apologize on Dave's behalf. He doesn't have control of his anger when it comes to me."

"Don't apologize, Savannah. We both know I deserved that. It's what I'd have done if it were Stel in your place. And I wouldn't have stopped after one. He's got some restraint doing that."

"Absolutely wrong. He's got absolutely no restraint whatsoever. Um...you aren't mad at me, are you?"

"No, Reece. I'm not mad at all. Just need some space after what happened. Like I said, it's been too long since someone punched me square in the jaw. Your brother's got an impressive aim, I must say."

Well, naturally, he'd want his space after that. She didn't know what to say at the moment, so she settled for, "Oh, okay. I'll, uh, give you your space." She paused. "Um...then, I'll see you later. Sunday directly, I guess. Uh, bye, maybe."

"Yeah. Bye. See you on Sunday..."

—x—

Wooh! Dave and his temper. But I think he's correct, don't you? 

If you liked Chapter 14, please vote and comment. 

Thank you!!

Until next time...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 17.4K 8
Highest Ranking #1 adultthemes (01/05/19) #1 eroticromance (24/10/2019) #1 adultromance (26/06/2019) #1 sugardaddy (05/08/2019) #1 couple (16/08/2019...
58.1K 964 46
Savannah falls in love with her next door neighbour, her housemate and her brothers friend. Their relationship is a secret. How will she react when s...
248K 11.6K 63
"At this point, I'll be grateful for your pieces." ***** Jessica Franklin is at her wit ends, literally. With two sist...