Brown Skinned Bet

By MarieB_5

Pacific Crest International High School,Lekki,Lagos State. To Nigerian parents,its just the school they wish... More

Prologue
Chapter I
Chapter II
Chapter III
Chapter IV
Chapter V
Chapter VI
Chapter VII
Chapter VIII
Chapter IX
Chapter X
Chapter XI
Chapter XII
Chapter XIII
Chapter XIV
Chapter XV
Chapter XVI
Chapter XVII
Chapter XVIII
Chapter XIX
Chapter XX
Chapter XXI
Chapter XXII
Chapter XXIII
Chapter XXIV
Chapter XXV
Chapter XXVI
Chapter XXVII
Chapter XXVIII
Chapter XXX
Chapter XXXI
Chapter XXXII
Chapter XXXIII
Chapter XXXIV
Chapter XXXV
Chapter XXXVI
Chapter XXXVII
Chapter XXXVIII
Chapter XXXIX
Chapter XL
Chapter XLI
Chapter XLII
Chapter XLIII
Chapter XLIV
Chapter XLV
Chapter XLVI
Chapter XLVII
Chapter XLVIII
Last Part
The Yearbook
New Book Lurk

Chapter XXIX

155 31 0
By MarieB_5

Daryl

           I trudged over the concrete path of the slabways,particularly looming around the school as I had no definitely planned destination. I'd exited my room because I'd felt bored and overly swarmed with thoughts and although my reason for taking a stroll was to clear my head,I'd achieved nothing close to that within the past few minutes.

            I sighed,running my hand over my face as I reached the school building,contemplating if it was wise of me to forge on. On my decision that it didn't matter,I made my way down the empty corridors of the block,my gaze darted to the floor as I walked. The thoughts simply refused to obey my will.

           I'd tried to talk myself out of this a thousand times within the past few weeks. Thinking would change nothing. I just had to be patient and get home so I could access the situation but each time I recalled the coarse,tear-ridden voice of my little brother over the phone on harvest day and the bits of information he'd rendered to me then,I couldn't help but recoil and think.

           Not long after I'd begun my ascent up the stairs,my feet came to a stop over the second flight as I brought myself to lean against the wall,throwing my head backwards and then down as I continued staring at my feet. I had no idea what I was doing anymore,why had I even come here?

           My thoughts had engulfed me even more than when I'd left the hostel and the stroll had done nothing to ameliorate the situation. Despite everything that I already had on my mind,my thoughts still drifted towards Kainene from time to time and it made me wonder what really I wanted from her.

          I'd believed I wouldn't want more if only I'd told her how I truly felt but it seemed I'd only been deluding myself. Confessing to her only gave me more to think about,my mind chanted her words to me time and time again. What makes me different?

          I knew she was different but what I didn't know was how I could get her to believe that as well. Honestly,I could understand her,I wasn't sure how she felt towards me but if there was anything I was sure about,it was that I'd created a lot of insecurity in her,so much that I had no idea as to how I could reassure her.

           Everything was so messed up and I hated the fact that I had come with no solution to any of my problems. I was just about to turn on my heels and head back down the way I'd come from when I noticed a figure lean over the rail of the stairs,opposite where I was standing.

         School block was empty,as exams had been concluded over a week ago but before I could wonder it was,my gaze had averted from my feet and settled on Kainene's figure. Hands crossed over her chest,she gazed ever so tenderly at me and I could swear I almost melted under her gaze.

         Besides her being the last person I'd expected to see here,the fact that her gaze was clearly trying to pierce and see through me had my feet shuffling against the floor as I tried to conceal the chills that had begun creeping up my skin. I'd never seen that look in her eyes before and seeing it now,had my heartbeat escalating.

         "I can't believe you didn't notice I'd been behind you all this while" she was the first to break the silence,a small smile creeping over her lips. I stared at her,before the corner of my lip broke into a slight smirk as well. "I guess I've learnt from you" I told her,causing us both to chuckle.

         Our laughs died down and the silence took over again even though we both held our gazes,like we both had so much to say to each other.

         "So why are you stalking me this time?" I mused,cutting the strings of silence again. "You say it like I've stalked you before" she chuckled. "So you admit you're stalking me now" I questioned,causing her to give off a shrug which only meant maybe. My brows furrowed slightly as I watched her,my smile widening as I did. Would this girl ever cease to amaze me?

         "Why are you looking at me like that?" She snapped lowly. "Nothing" I surrendered with a shrug,averting my gaze and then bringing it back to hers which still hadn't left me. "Kainene" I called subtly.

         "Hmm" she hummed in reply,tilting her head as she watched me. "Is there something you want to say?" I inquired. She remained quiet for a while before parting her lips to give my question a reply. "Are you okay?"

          I stared at her a while longer before averting my gaze,I couldnt believe she was asking. "Perhaps..." I started "Perhaps not..." I gave a rather vague reply.

         "Do you want to talk about it?" She questioned again,unfolding her arms and resting them against the rail. I was confused,I'd never envisioned her being concerned let alone coming to me directly to ask and I couldn't deny the fact that the gesture warmed my heart a great deal.

         "You don't have to if you dont want to...." she started again due to my hesitation. "...Its not like I didn't notice that you've been...you know,a bit off but I just didn't know how to approach you" she tried to explain herself.

          "I...." I tried to get something out "I.. just dont know where to start from" I finally told her. "I never thought you would notice,let alone be concerned about whatever I was going through..."she was quick to infiltrate my speech.

         "Am I that much of a horrible person  Daryl?" She questioned with a pained chuckle,finally looking away from me as she picked at her nails. "No,no,that's not what I'm saying. If there's anyone that's horrible between us,we both know its me" I was quick to rephrase my statement.

        "I just didn't expect it,that's all" I told her with a small smile which she seemed to hold unto,seeing how she mirrored my smile. "Its Yemisi..." I started.

         "What happened to her?" She asked almost instantly,fear lining every bit of her facial features as she stared wideeyedly at me. "She's having another crisis and I think...my dad...he..." I exhaled heavily,thinking of how to render everything to her in words. I hadn't been able to open up to anyone about this,not even Temi,but I so wanted to tell her everything about it.

         I felt her take my hands in hers,causing me to look up and see that she'd closed the space between us,lacing her fingers into mine. "Take your time,don't force it if you can't say it" she barely told me.

         "Its just...very hard right now,I cant stop thinking about what's going on,I'm..." I bit my lip as my gaze darted to where our hands lay interlinked.

         Like she hadn't done enough to shock me,she slowly took out her fingers from mine as her arms rounded me in a hug. I stiffened under her hold,feeling my scattered nerves calm and my emotions run haywire in exchange.

         "It'll be fine Daryl,trust me,she'll be fine" she tried to assure me after pulling away slightly so she could watch my face. Involuntarily,my arms came around her figure as well as I settled into her arms,my lids falling close as I took in a deep breath,her ever strong feminine scent creating a fog over my brain as I did. I'd longed for this,no,I'd yearned for this.

         I felt her hold around me tighten,causing me to hide my face in the crane of her neck as her steady breaths began to massage my shoulder. I felt like I was losing it,I could remain here forever,the feeling of her small figure against mine was too much of a relief to me. If this were a dream,I wished I would never wake up.

         Even though it was clear that neither of us wished to pull away,we did nevertheless,still staring into each others orbs,like we both knew what more we wanted but couldn't just have.

         Simply following my instincts,I took out one of my hands to cradle the side of her face as I ducked down slowly,my gaze darting to hers from time to time as I  beseeched for her permission to do this. Our breaths had started mixing and I could feel her pulse quicken and her breathing grow erratic as her gaze fell to my lips and so did mine,over hers.

         I gulped hard,knowing that keeping my feelings at bay would be almost impossible the minute I took this step. Our lips grazed each other and I felt her clutch the side of my shirt,making me well aware of her anxiety.

         Just before it could happen though,she brought her palms over my chest to stop me as she took a step back,breaking us apart and I quickly regained myself. What had I been thinking?

         "I'm sorry" she whispered,her gaze now darted to the ground. Knowing Kainene,I knew better than jumping into conclusions so I always took out time to study her and right now,I could infer that she'd backed out because something,some thought had held her back,some form of backup program which always operated her mind.

         "No,I'm sorry..I...went too far" I redirected the blame which only had remorse swirling even more in her orbs. "Daryl,its just...I..." she tried to start but I was quick to stop her.

         "I understand Kainene,don't beat yourself over the damages I caused..." I trailed off,enclosing the space between us as I brought my hands to rest over the small of her waist. "...and I'm going to fix what I broke,I just need a chance to" I told her in the most reassuring voice that I could ever summon.

         "You have no idea how much I want to believe you" she stated lowly. "You have no idea how much I'm ready to wait Kainene...." I rephrased her statement.

         "Just being this way with you has me over the moon already...you make me feel things I can't explain Kainene and that's why you're different and you'll always be" I whispered to her,ducking down thereafter and placing a fleeting kiss  behind her ear,not missing the deep intake of breath she'd taken in that moment.

         "Thank you" I whispered after pulling away slightly before stepping back and attempting to make my way down the stairs but she was quick to hold me back. "Let's go together" she suggested.

          Giving her a smile,I took her hand from where it rested over my wrist and linked it with mine,causing her to mirror my smile,just before we proceeded down the stairs.

        Although thoughts still weighed heavy against me,it felt good to forget them even if it was only for a moment and being with Kainene,hearing her hearty chuckles from time to time as we chatted over both relevant and irrelevant topics granted me more that enough doses of my medication. I guess I'd done myself a favour on going for this stroll after all.

Kainene

           It had been after the excursion,I couldn't understand why I couldnt get Daryl's words out of my head,it was like they'd started stirring up another storm in me,making me want to break the walls I'd built around myself,making me want to take the hand he'd been extending to me,making me want to surrender to my feelings.

          I sat on my bed,my legs crossed over my bed as I stared out the window. We had only one day to vacation and I'd started having the urge to do something about this situation before we headed home this time,I wanted something different,I wanted to change things but I'd searched my head over a million times as to how I was to tackle the issue but I simply found no logical answer.

          "Kaine..." Jade's voice pulled me out of my trance,causing me to look to her as she walked into my corner,taking a seat beside me on the bed.

          "Yeah" I gave a low reply,readjusting myself so she could have enough space to sit. "Daryl asked me to help give this to you" she told me,handing me a paper bag. I stared at it for a while before taking it from her hands. "Ah,this boy still got it even after I told him not to" I sighed after recognising the contents of the bag,my heart skipping a beat at nevertheless,he never forgot anything and he never broke a promise. The more reason for me to try believing his words,right?

          "Thank you sha" I told her,placing the bag down beside my bunk. "You're welcome" she smiled,one which I mirrored. "Kaine,are you still angry with me?" She suddenly questioned,causing my heart to drop.

          "Do I even have the right? After everything I said to you?" I pointed out. "I'm sorry Jade,I actually didn't mean what I said that day...I was just..." I tried to explain things to her.

          "Pained at the moment..." she completed my statement with a chuckle. "Well...I guess you can say that" I shrugged with a chuckle as well. "Because of what we saw at the assembly ground shey" she questioned further,one which I gave no reply other than a sigh.

          "Its okay Kainene,these things happen right. That's why we're friends" She grinned,causing me to smile. "You this girl ehn" I commented with a slight shake of my head.

         "I'm sorry for holding a grudge against you too. I took what you said too seriously" she explained. "What I shouldn't have said in the first place" I sighed.

         "Awwn!! They're finally reconciling ehyaaa!!" Onome's voice cut through the silence of the night as she emerged through the door,still clad in her house coats and a junior student who had her buckets in hand trailing behind her.

         "Abeg shut up joorh" I sneered as she took a seat on her bed so she was facing us both. "Azzin ehn,you that didn't even do anything to reconcile us" Jade jabbed her.

         "Ahah na,Jade it wasn'tlike that na. Kainene's vex has been touching everybody oh. Only God knows what Daryl has told her today...." Onome commented.

         "Onome you want to start another wahala abi" Jade warned. "Wait,so you guys thought I was vexing?" I questioned them. "Weren't you?" Onome questioned back.

         "Well...." I brushed the topic off,knowing that I had no tangible explanation. "But Kainene,no offence but you were actually really happy today. I wasn't with you guys but I could see it"  Onome pointed out but Jade remained quiet,refusing to either agree or disagree.

         "I know,I really was" I agreed with her. "So what's wrong? What's holding you back from being happy Kaine?" Onome inquired. "I don't know,I just can't get over it Onome. I always feel like I'll be being stupid if I listen to him,especially after everything that happened before midterm break. I'm just scared,I dont want to be played again" I finally came clean to them.

         "Kainene,I really don't want to talk about this again because I don't want it to get to you again but..." Jade started. "Kaine,you were never played,take it from me" she told me,taking my hand in hers.

         "But he didn't deny it Jade,he didn't" I pointed out. "I heard everything Kainene. It was a dare and he accepted it but he backed out even before the week had come to an end and he only paid the money because Collins was being disgusting about it" she explained to me.

          "That Collins is actually very disgusting. He seems like the perpetrator of everything to me,he get skoi skoi(madness) for head I swear. Just see how he was behaving when him and Daryl fought that day na,you'll just know that he is mad" Onome expressed her agitation.

          "They fought? When?" I questioned,realising that was totally clueless about that piece of information. "The day you found out about the bet,it was so obvious that he actually did it on purpose" Jade added.

         "Kaine see ehn,after watching Daryl ehn,that guy actually really likes you,like for real for real. Forget everything we've said before,he can really do anything for you" Onome told me.

         "That's why I really wanted to make you talk to him,because I knew he would make you happy just like today" Jade pointed out.

         My eyes stung just listening to them as I thought about everything that had been happening,all the reassuring words,all his letters,every effort he'd made towards me and how he always intensified the next no matter how much I debunked the previous.

          "Do you guys think I've been overreacting?" I questioned,my throat beginning to hurt as I tried to hold back my tears. "No,because what he did is actually really hurtful. Like damn,if it's me,I'll really rip your head out of its place I swear" Onome opined,causing us to laugh.

         "But he is really sincere,that's why I feel like he deserves a chance. Like,I never thought I'd see Daryl mad over anybody like this" Onome completed.

          "Azzin,no ehn,me I used to be on refectorians table,you need to see how he used to stare at Kainene,Onome. Like,everytime I follow his gaze,its always on her" Jade pointed out.

         "Kainene don use jazz tie that boy,Jesus!" Onome teased,causing Jade to laugh as she leapt off her bed,knowing that I'd started sending her daggers her way.

          "Don't mind this one joorh. Kaine,I just wish you would stop hurting yourself and go for what makes you happy. It might not come easy but if he really likes you and if you at least feel something for him,which I know you do...."she trailed off,making a face which only caused me to chuckle as I looked down at my nails.

          "...then it'll work out. Stop thinking about it like it's a maths question because I know that's what you're doing" Jade continued her advice.

         "Azzin ehn,this girl and maths,she's probably already measuring the angle of depression of she and Daryl right now" Onome laughed,walking into my corner after pulling on her nightwear.

        "Onome if you talk here again ehn,its broom I'll use to chase you,try me" Jade warned. "Ahah,Jade don vex. Sorry boss" Onome teased,causing Jade to hiss.

         "Abeg shift jare. Kaine,as I was saying,just do what makes you happy. If talking to him makes you happy,then do it. If being with him makes you happy,then do it. Tell him what's in your heart,instead of holding back all the time because I know you hardly tell him anything and yet he is still able to read you so well. I wonder what it'll be like when you actually start telling him what you want. If your heart wants to let him in,then let it." she told me.

          "I know right..."I just had to agree with the last part of her speech. "Omo,wahala for who no fit give relationship advice oh" Onome chuckled as she'd started munching on a can of pringles on the floor.

           "Onome,come dey go abeg" Jade sighed. "This Jade girl,you're becoming arrogant oh. Abi you've forgotten all those years you used to cry to me about Yomi ehn,now that you have him in your pocket you have forgotten me and started to sharpen mouth abi" Onome sneered playfully.

          "Ahah,where was I all those times?" I questioned as I rested on Jade's shoulder.  "Solving maths" Onome teased,bursting into a fit of laughter thereafter. "Oya,Onome come dey go!" I exclaimed,taking to my feet and causing her to do the same as she dashed out of my corner,still laughing. I couldn't deny the fact that I'd missed them and if I would permit myself,Daryl as well.

          Taking Jade's advice,I'd been on my way back from the infirmary when I spotted Daryl walking rather aimlessly on the slabways. I hadn't intended to,but I found myself following him and the more I did,the more I realised how distabilised he was. Stopping in his tracks from time to time,it was like he knew what he was doing but he still didn't.

          I'd contemplated leaving when he got to the school block but Jade's words replayed in my mind and for once I listened to the voice of my heart and pushed back any thought that would prevent me from being his solace in that moment.

           But I hadn't expected that in that last minute,I would start wanting more. When he responded to my hug,my body heated up. Merely feeling his heartbeat against me,he needn't tell me how much pain he was in and all I wished was to take it away from him. Seeing him in pain affected me in a strange way,especially when I knew all too well what that sort of pain felt like.

          I'd tried but unfortunately,my mind had me stopping before his lips could meet mine. The truth was that,I'd never done this before and even though I'd totally relaxed into his hold,I was still scared of giving off my first kiss,I still harboured qualms in my mind. Plus,I wasn't sure if I would know how to.

          I'd regretted it though,I'd started wishing that I'd let it happen by the time I got back to hostel. I'd been so caught up in my thoughts that I hadn't heard Jade and Onome's call to come join them in their game of cards. I'd declined though,saying I'd wanted to get my things packed.

           I couldn't get over it,the feeling that had rushed through me when he took my face in his hands,the way my lower belly had churned with excitement when he placed that kiss behind my ear,my body was responded almost instantly to his every touch,making me want to go back to that very moment.

         It was all too new to me and I was struggling to control these funny new desires of mine. I did feel something for Daryl,I'd denied it for so long but after today,I couldn't anymore. It was stronger than I thought and I doubted the possibility of fighting it any longer. In fact,I doubted if I wanted to any longer,I was going to give in sooner or later.

           Woosh!! And our ship is about to sail people!😩😩😩 I just hope y'all are enjoying this story as much as I'm enjoying writing this because,these guys literally give me chills aswr! Like,they're just soooooo......damn!

       Please do vote and comment guys!

-Who feels like the kiss should have happened?
-What do you think should happen next?🤗🤗

         Please stay tuned for further updates guys! Thanks for reading,love y'all🤗💕.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 1.8K 44
"Roses are dead, violets are dying; outside I'm smiling but inside I'm crying" "Conceal, don't feel, put on a show Make one wrong move and everyone w...
172K 5.7K 32
The known demon slayer decided to take up a little part-time job as a waiter in a restaurant! Little would he know that his boss would be a high demo...
457K 68.1K 68
"Everyone was willing to do all it takes to attend Crown School, but only the best scholar made it every year." My Days at Crown School tells the st...
40.1K 6.8K 17
Cover by African Cover Shop @africanliterature #526 in short story [14-01-2018] #810 in short story [01-01-2018) An intriguing story of three univers...