Love at Second Sight

By TicTac_05

Zachary Sifton just inherited one of the best and largest chain of luxury hotels in the world, which is known... More

Author's Note
Character Aesthetics
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
In-Betweens
In-Between 1
In-Between 2
In-Between 3
In-Between 4

Chapter 10

213 21 7
By TicTac_05

The most dangerous distractions are the ones you love, but that don't love you back.

~Warren Buffett

***

It was past one-thirty at night when she got home. The crowd had been crazy today. It was like the whole of DC decided to show up at the same place at the same time. It made her wonder if today signified anything. She opened the doors to Sifton Villa with the set of keys Clair had entrusted her with in good faith. Closing the doors, she leaned back against it and sighed. It had been an extremely long and trying day. The kitchen had been bustling since seven. She didn't get the time to even recharge her batteries.

She climbed up the spiral stairs to the second floor. As soon as she stepped into the corridor, she opened her tote and began rummaging through it to find her keys' case.

"I just took these out for God's sake. Where did it disappear? It's been less than a minute, dammit! Did it fall down somewhere? Ah, there you—" her words stopped when she bumped into a muscular figure.

"I'm so sorry—"

"Look where you go next time," the voice she knew very well cut her short curtly.

"Zac?"

"Guess that would be me," he said sarcastically.

"Uh, well, why are you up so late?" One look at him made her want to justify her question. "Like, usually when I come back everybody's asleep...and once you only had asked me how I functioned on mere five hours of sleep. So I took it for granted that you preferred sleeping eight hours or something..."

"I couldn't sleep."

The curt answer probably meant he didn't want to talk to her any more. So she didn't push either. "Oh. Okay. I'll leave, I have a long day tomorrow. And, um, sorry once again."

She's gotten only a few strides towards her room when he yanked her back and pressed her against the wall. Hands on either side of her face, he towered over her.

"You wouldn't want to know why, would you, Savannah?"

"It's none of my business, is it? And, you don't like me, so it's okay."

She thought he didn't like her? Especially when he had just discovered that he was falling in love with her? Well, then he'd just have to show her otherwise.

"Fair enough. You think I don't like you. Fine. I'll tell you why myself," he seethed. His gaze moved down from her eyes to her lips and stayed there for a while before returning to her eyes. "It disturbed me to see you with that douche, Jaspe' Payne," he said the last part with a mock British accent. "It disturbed me a lot. And the way you were cozy with him, it got me even more riled up. And, because of that, I couldn't get any work done at all. I had a lot of work for today and I couldn't complete it, because I couldn't fucking concentrate. And now I can't sleep. All because of you."

"Because of me? Jas is a very close friend of mine. I was talking to him. You have absolutely no reason to be disturbed because my friend came to meet me. Okay? I don't understand. How is any of this my problem?"

"I have been religiously eating at Le Saveurs every day in hopes that I'd get to see you. It is why I occupy the table closest to the kitchen, so that I can look out for any movement. This has been going on for quite a while now. Today, you finally appear and instead of looking at me who's right in front of you, waiting for you to finally notice him, you throw yourself at that Payne guy. You know how terrible it was to see you walk right past me and into his arms, Savannah?"

"Wait. But if you wanted to see me, you could've called me to your office, right? I'd've come. There was no need for you to wait for me for so long."

"Fucking hell. You still don't get it at all. Straight off, I am disturbed because I didn't like watching you with him. Rather I don't like seeing you with anyone else but me." She gasped. "I was jealous of that friend of yours as am I of my own brother."

"Why? It's not like we're together or something. Jasper has been my friend since Cordon Bleu. And, Rhett—we both are just friends too. He's just flirtatious by nature. He means nothing by it. You have absolutely no business getting worked up rubbish for reasons like these. Now, if you'll please let me go."

"No," he refused, and lowered his mouth on hers. Ferociously. He took, just took, menacingly. It was as if he was trying to prove a point. His lips were merciless on hers. He dropped one hand to her waist and under her clothes. When his rough hands contacted her skin, she gasped. He used this opportunity to plunge his tongue in her mouth. Everything about this kiss was forceful and brutal. Rough. This had to be the roughest kisses she'd ever had.

Zac was kissing her? No. He couldn't be. This couldn't be. She would never be enough for him. Never ever. She was not that beautiful, she was not that confident, she was not that strong, she was not that desirable, she was not that classy, she was not that talented, she was not that feminine... She was still a nothing for him. She still wasn't the kind of woman he'd want to be seen with. She still wasn't the kind of woman he'd want to show off. She still wasn't the kind of woman he'd want to be with.

Tears spilled down her cheeks unknowingly as everything that had happened on that day came crashing back to her. Every word he'd said to her, every remark of his, swiveled in her senses as he continued to torment her mouth. This could not be happening. Her heart knew better than to believe this. It knew what happened when you singularly and unnecessarily got your hopes high.

This had to stop.

When he finally pulled away for air she ducked her head and let the tears flow for a while before she fiercely wiped them.

"That is why I can't bear to see you with anyone else. Do you get it? I am falling for you, hard and fast—"

"No. No. Just no. You've got to stop that. You have to stop that."

"Stop what? Falling for you? I can't do that."

"Yes. You can't be falling for me. You just can't. I'm still not good enough for you. IS this some sort of a sick joke? Some sick way of reminding me of my inefficiencies? I know it. I'm ugly, I'm unpleasant, I look horrendous. I know, okay? You don't need to remind me. I am not someone you'd ever be proud of. I am not someone you'd want to be seen with. I am not someone you'd want to be with. I know all that. You've already told me all this before, I don't want to hear it again. Okay?"

"What the fuck are you talking about? And why are you crying?"

"Because I'm a crybaby. You know that, you knew it even then. You told me you don't do well with crybabies and I'm exactly that. Which is another reason you can't be with me. This was a—a mistake. This was a very big mistake. You kissing me was a mistake. You could never kiss a woman like me. This—this was a huge mistake. You know what, let's—let's just forget this. Let's pretend th—this never happened, okay? No—no hard feelings. You carry on with your life and I'll carry on with mine...but this can't happen again. Never ever. I—I gotta go. I know you regret this kiss, but all's good if we don't repeat the mistake," she said and left him confused in the middle of the corridor.

What the hell had she been referring to? Why was so certain he was regretting kissing her? Why was she so sure he could never want her? Why was she saying that he'd told her those things?

Now that he thought about it, in retrospect, it seemed like she was hyperventilating.

She was convinced he didn't like her. He couldn't ever. Why? Especially when the truth was that he was falling for her, fast and furious, and he genuinely didn't know how much longer he could put it off before he fell in deep. But what was pressing was his need to know why she'd acted the way she had. Why she wanted to forget the kiss. Why she called it a mistake. Why she never wanted it to happen again.

There was much, much more to this than she was letting on.

—x—

Next morning—more like, afternoon—as she went to find her boss, being the clumsy person she was, Abbey merrily walked right into someone.

"Ouch," she winced and rubbed her forehead. "Standing in the middle of my way. Useless brat." She proceeded to walk away but his words stopped her.

The guy turned and snickered. "Useless brat? I am the useless brat here? Miss, I've been standing here for the past five minutes. You should look where you go. You were the one walking."

"Exactly. You shouldn't be standing like a statue in the middle of a walking area, right?"

"Sorry. But this is as much a lobby—which is a waiting area, in case you didn't know—as it's a walking area. So I am free to stand wherever I want. Now, if you'll excuse me," he said and turned around.

She stomped forward in front of him. "I certainly will not. You don't get to hurt me and talk like that at the same time. Choose one. And since the choice is already made—that is, you've hurt me—you do not talk like that."

Was this woman retarded? "Miss..."

"Fury."

"Ms. Fury. You were the one that bumped into me," he pointed at himself, "a person who was standing still as a statue. Okay? You were walking. You should look ahead when you walk. This basic thing is taught to most kids in preschool. But I see you don't remember the rule. So yes, you look in front when you walk to avoid incidents like these." He said everything slowly as if explaining to a toddler.

"I know that. But see Mister..."

"Sifton."

"See, Mr. Sifton—Sifton?" How many Mr. Sifton's were there in total? she thought. "Anyway. Mr. Sifton, this is like blaming a car driver for running into you when you were the one standing in the middle of the road. Do you get it?"

"That's such a wrong comparison. That's a road. This is a lobby, for God's sake."

Savannah, who had come out of the kitchen to look for Abbey, heard the commotion and recognized the voices immediately.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Boss! I was just coming for you, I got late because of this man."

"Beau?"

"Yeah, I was looking for you. Who's she?"

"Abbey. Abigail Fury, my assistant. Why?"

"She bumps into me and tells me it's my fault. Like, what the hell?"

"Uh. Well, I wouldn't have bumped into you if you wouldn't've been standing in my way, doofus," Abbey countered.

"Okay, okay," said Savannah, "silence. Abbey, wait for me outside the kitchen."

"Yes, Boss! And you, Assclown, make sure you never bump into me again."

"As if I want to, Klutz." He stuck his tongue out. "Stupid woman."

Savannah laughed heartily. "What was that?"

"Why is she like that? Is she retarded or what?"

Savannah smacked his head. "That's my assistant you're talking about. And no, she's perfectly fine. Just a little ungainly and sometimes over-the-top—"

"Little and sometimes? Your definitions of little and sometimes, and mine definitely vary."

"—and she doesn't like being reminded of her being uncoordinated. And when someone does, she pounces on them with nonsensical arguments, like she did with you."

"I see. What a woman."

"Well, what can I do for you?"

"I am hungry."

"So?"

"I want something to eat."

"You didn't eat breakfast, I suppose?"

"See, I am bored of the mundane food at home. I came here for some change, belle."

"That's some reason you have."

"Yeah."

She checked her watch. "Well, Rhett, it's eleven-thirty right now. Can you wait for an hour? The lunch hours start at twelve-thirty."

"But I am hungry," he whined.

"I know. Wait at Le Saveurs, you can eat as soon as they arrange the buffet, okay?"

"Er... Okay. If you say so. But I'm so, so, so hungry, Savannah."

"Well, wait for a while, will you? You'll get food that is worth the wait."

"You've made anything outta the whole spread?"

"A few things here and there... Now, my job is mostly giving orders and supervision."

"I see. How's the stuff for the gala going?"

"It's good. I'm teaching them some techniques. The seafood appetizer I chose, with Zac's go-ahead of course, is a wee bit complicated. Xavier and Lily are working on it—he has more experience than any of the others and Lily was simply ecstatic. So yeah. I am kinda training them for that starter."

"What is it called again?"

"Not working, Rhett. Not disclosing."

"Dammit! Okay."

They both proceeded to Le Saveurs—he seated himself at a table while she went to the kitchen.

"Abigail Beatrix Fury. Where the hell are you?"

"Here, Boss!" Abbey yelled, walking towards Savannah, sucking Crème Patisserie cream off her index finger. "What's up?"

"You tell me. What was that between you and Rhett?"

"So he is Rhett. The flirt. I see. But he is so rude! He is not at all sweet, Savannah, I don't understand why you adore him so much."

"Leave that. You tell me what the feud was about?"

"I bumped into him and then I called him a brat. And then he kinda sorta indicated that I was awkward, so I pounced on him," she admitted sheepishly.

"So you are aware that you're at fault, not him. Right?"

"Yes."

"Okay...so you know what you gotta do next."

"Not happening, Boss! If it was anyone but him, I'd've apologized. Not Rhett. That guy is an arrogant asshole. Not apologizing."

"Abbey."

"Come on, Boss. I really don't like him. Not gonna say sorry. Never."

"Jesus Christ! You and your childishness. Leave it."

"That sounds good."

Shaking her head, Savannah told Abbey the actual reason she'd called for her. It took Abbey a while to get it all crystal clear and sorted in her brain, but it did.

"Okay. Go and do what I said right now. And give me the details, okay."

"Yes, Boss!" she saluted. Purposely, Savannah held out the kitchen doors for Abbey and let her walk out safely before she let them swing back into place. Abbey would remain Abbey.

Outside Abbey made eye contact with Rhett again. Dammit! Was this guy following her or what?

She scowled. "Assclown," she muttered.

"Klutz," he scorned.

—x—

Well... THEY KISSED!!!!! Ahhh! Their first kiss—well, shit! Do you think Savannah's post-kiss actions were justified? 

If you liked Chapter 10, please vote and comment.

Thank you!!

Until next time...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

184K 6.3K 58
"I need to teach you a lesson for defying me," Beau says, and in an instant, my leg on his thigh drops down beside his. He puts his other hand on my...
920 91 32
"Fine walk out that door, but know that I won't just sit back and let you leave like he would. I'll chase you and drag you back to me because that's...
126K 1.3K 9
(ENGLISH VERSION) "Your eyes... are different," I said when I stared at my wife's mesmerizing eyes. I was holding her in my arms and I felt an unusua...
20.5M 346K 42
#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He stared arrogantly down at me, a smirk plaste...