TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

Bởi lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... Xem Thêm

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 28

5.4K 179 9
Bởi lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 28

Aiden

I have a lot to think about. Jim's words have stayed with me through the night. I need to do what's best for me and Riley. I need to follow my gut and figure out if she's the one. How do I do that with everything going on with my family?

Between my Grandma being in the hospital, having a serious surgery and my dad and his agenda, how do I think about Riley and what I want? There's one person I need to talk to about all this. The one person who I know will understand how I feel and the position I'm in.

"I don't know what to do." I told Uncle Blake after unloading everything that's bugging me onto him. I know he's really the only one who can relate to me now.

He's watched my dad screw with my mom and I for years. He saw him cheat on her, knew that my dad was hurting us and he was there for us. Blake saw that his dad and mine were made from the same cloth. He knows where I'm coming from, and how I feel about all of it.

He scratches his cheek and presses his lips into a thin grin line. Those emerald eyes that match mine are bright and sharp as they look into mine. Thinking about everything I've said, Blake is cautious about what advice he is about to give me. I know Uncle Blake won't let me down. 

"It sounds like you really are falling for her." He's right, my feelings are heading down that road. I give him a single definitive nod. "Look Aiden, I can't tell you what to do. My situation was different from yours. My dad pressured me to stay away from Em from a young age. I had your Grandma to encourage me to follow my heart. No one is going to tell you to stay away from Riley." I know Blake and Emma had a rough time before they got together. Emma dealt with a lot of shit to finally see how much Blake loves her.

"Dad's tried." I remind him. "It isn't like I don't want her. I do. I just don't want to hold her back. I'm going into the NFL, she's got another year yet. How do we make that work?"

"You mean how do you know that you won't do something stupid or that Riley will find someone better than you?" He knows me too well. Blake lifted his brows waiting for me to admit the truth.

"Both. I'm not exactly the best at long distance relationships and I don't want to hurt her. I really don't. And what happens if she meets some guy who's here and I'm not? How do I know she's not gonna decide he's the better deal?" The questions roll off my tongue and I'm right back to being the unsure kid I used to be.

I'm not uncertain about myself usually. I'm smart and talented and yeah, I've got the Bradford looks going for me. I've also got girls left, right and backwards ready to stroke my ego, among other things, whenever I want. I've got guys who admire my skills on the field and wish they had my way with girls, who are determined to be my friend.

In a way, Hunter and I have that in common. I've just gotten good at picking out the phonies faster than she can. I don't get invested in others like Hunter tends to do. Our family is plenty big enough for my best friends to be my cousins. My sister to be my friend and my uncle to be my idol.

Blake leans against the wall and takes his time to give me the right answers. It's important to him that he gives me the right answers to my questions. Blake has always been cautious about what advice he gives so that I don't make the same mistakes he did. And I know he made some doozies.

"You try to make sure she's secure enough in your relationship and that she trusts you enough to know that nothing can make you cheat." Breyden walked over and sat with us. I forgot him and Laney went through a lot too. "Laney was a year behind me too. She stayed with the family while I went on the road with the team. She was secure knowing that the family had her back."

Riley has that. Hunter and the girls, Grandma all really like her. I think she knows that they've got her back. I just don't know if she's that sure about me. I gave myself quite a reputation on campus for being the easiest guy to get naked and now I'm paying the price for it.

"She knows my reputation, she's aware of who I've been. I don't know how she's going to trust me when she can't be with me all the time." I grumble knowing there's no one else to blame for this dilemma but me.

"Have you given her any reason to not trust you? She hits me as a pretty smart gal. I'm betting that she doesn't believe everything she hears through campus gossip." Blake knows just as Breyden does how campus gossip can hurt you.

"Laney dealt with lots of reasons to not trust me. A lot that was thrown in her face, a lot that put a strain on us but she let me explain anything that she asked about, she trusted me to know I wouldn't lie to her. You have to be honest with her even if it's hard, even if it hurts her. She's only going to trust you if she knows you won't lie to her." Breyden went through a lot to get Laney to marry him and even after that there were problems with groupies and girls that wanted a piece of him.

"Breyden's right." Blake agrees, taking a seat on the other side of me. "I had to prove myself to Emma and there was a couple times there that I thought my past, my screw ups, and everything that Emma witnessed me doing was gonna be more than we could move past. She had every reason to not give me the chance I asked for but she did. I've worked hard every day since to show her she's the love of my life."

"How do I know she's it?" It seems like a stupid question but for a guy who hasn't really been in love, it seems smart to ask the two who will answer it without teasing me.

"How do you feel when she's with you?" Breyden asks.

"I'm nervous. My stomach feels weird and my hands sweat. I want to make a good impression on her but I'm afraid I'm not good enough. We get along really well and she's easy to be with. She doesn't freak out like most girls do. She let's me explain myself and she understands me." I look back and forth between the two men I've always looked up to for guidance.

Blake and Breyden look at each other knowingly, before Blake speaks. "And when you aren't with her?"

"I'm anxious to see her again or just talk to her if we're on a road trip. It's like nothing is real until I tell her about it. I can't wait to see her or hear her voice. If she's working I'll sit at the counter and watch her work until she's off. As long as I'm close to her, I can calm down. It's like she just needs to be close and everything is right even if it's spinning out of control." I'm not making much sense. I know I'm not but it makes total sense in my head.

"It sounds to me like you already have your answer. You don't need us to tell you how you feel." Blake rests his heavy hand on my shoulder and waits for me to look him in the eyes. "We can't make this choice for you, Aiden. You need to do this on your own."

I nod knowing the choice is mine.

"Where is she?" Breyden wonders looking around the hall.

"Hunter took her and the girls back to the dorm last night." I explain. "She needed a break I guess."

It worries me that I went the entire night and Riley didn't text or call me. I didn't either but then I was thinking more about Grandma then anything else. I should have called her. I should have checked on her. I will as soon as I can.

"There you are!" Matt and Cade hurry down the hall in our direction. They both have grim faces and worry in their eyes.

"What happened?" Blake ignored all greetings and got to the point.

Cade looked at me then Blake got the go ahead to tell us what was going on. "Adam got released on bail. I've got security going to the house and the girls dorm now. I called Hunter but she didn't answer. I left a message telling her to stay inside and keep the door locked."

"We need to track Adam down. Ma won't be happy he got released. No one is to tell her." Blake was adamant about that. "I want Ma to focus on getting better and getting home. She doesn't need to get worked up over my idiot brother."

"Aiden, get the boys back to school. Check on your cousins and Riley, make sure they're all safe." Matt directed me.

For the first time I feel like I'm being treated like an adult in the family. Us kids have been sheltered whenever shits happened. They kept us safe, away from the press and we were told everything was fine. I appreciate that we were allowed to just be kids and weren't involved with the drama and media attention. Now is different, now I'm an adult and this is my dad causing the problems.

"We need to find Adam fast before he decides to leave town. He's screwed enough with this family. It's time he answers for it." Blake is furious with Dad.

He stood back for years while Dad cheated and ignored me and mom. Blake, Em and Grandma have done everything they could to help us but now that Grandma has given Blake her power of attorney, I think Blake is going to do what he wanted to do years ago but Grandma held him off. I can't say I'd do anything to stop him either.

"Drop off the guy's and get straight over to the girls, Aiden. I know Hunter, she's going to be set on saying a few things to Adam. Just keep her in line until we find him." Blake and I both know Hunter will chase down Dad to let him have it.

"Stick together. We don't know what your dad might try to do." Cade warns me.

A cold trickle of sweat slips down my spine. What if he goes after Riley again? What if he decides that she messed up his plan and has to pay? I've never known my dad to be violent but then I never thought he would try to arrange my wedding to someone I don't love. Things have changed.

"We're going to find Adam. Matt, tell Grace and Chelsea to stick with Grandma here. Emma has the boys with her in the waiting room with Chloe. Better let Beckett know to stick around with them. Tell Beck I'll kick his ass if anything happens to my family. I'm trusting him to keep them safe." Blake gives us our assignments and we scatter. Everyone with a job to do and a promise to let the others know if they find Dad.

It's going to be a long day.

Riley

Hunter thought it was best for us to go home last night. Georgia was resting fine and there was nothing we could do for her. Once her doctors set the surgery date she's going to need all of them. They'll be there too. That's the kind of family they are.

I haven't talked to Aiden much since we visited Georgia. It seems he's got a lot on his plate to deal with and Georgia gave him more to think about. I hope he doesn't feel pressured with her nudging. She means well and wants him to be happy. I can't blame her for that.

It's giving me a chance to think too

Chloe gave me the impression she's siding with Adam. There's something about the way she was looking at me at the hospital that made me feel like she didn't approve. I know Adam doesn't. Just one more thing to think about.

Aiden was distant, distracted when we left. He's got a weight on his shoulders that he's carrying around because of his father. Georgia only added to it with her pressuring him about our relationship. Another layer for me to think about.

Hunter made some sense last night. Aiden and his father have been at odds for a while now. Long before we got involved from what I understand. Hunter thinks Adam is jealous of Blake's relationship with Aiden. She said Aiden has more respect for Blake, looks up to him more than he ever has his father. That would cause some discord between them.

Hunter also thinks that Chloe is afraid of losing Adam. They've been married a long time, since they were in college it sounds like. She said that Adam's dad didn't like him marrying Chloe. It was another issue of marrying below the Bradford name. Hunter said Blake had a hard time about marrying Emma despite her mom and Georgia being best friends.

So this runs in the family, huh? Just one more thing to add in.

Aiden's grandma was so nice with me and my father. Hunter said Georgia is a really good person. She sees people as people not as a financial deal. Georgia has taken half the family under her wing and they aren't even related. I can see where Blake and Aiden get it from.

There's just so much on my mind. All the good and bad running through my head. Aiden is anything but uncomplicated. And he's graduating in a few months. Probably going into the NFL if he has his way. And where does that leave us? I'll still be here finishing school, while Aiden is traveling the country playing ball with his choice of women falling at his feet.

I can't help but feel a twinge of worry. I'm not some pretty cheerleader. I have curves that girls like that wouldn't dare allow. I like food, I like to eat. Those girls probably wouldn't dare eat a pancake much less a cookie. I can't compete in the looks department.

Another twist hits my stomach. I'm not going to deny knowing about Aiden's reputation. I knew who he was from the beginning but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He earned my trust. But what happens when he's on the road and I'm here?

Another thought I don't like to think about

The hours passed slowly while every thought crossed my mind several times. Every what if, every potential outcome went through my head. And I still don't have an answer to my question. I still don't know what to do.

So the thoughts kept going

I couldn't do much of anything else last night. I tossed and turned hearing first Adam's voice in my head then Georgia's. It was like those cartoons with the devil on one shoulder and the Angel on the other. Both were telling me what was best for Aiden but he hasn't told me what he wants.

The more I think about it, the more I'm beginning to think that maybe a break from each other would be best for both of us. It would be easier on Aiden. I don't want to add to his stress. And I really do want Aiden to be happy. If that's with me, I'll do everything I can to get him through this mess. But if it's without me then I'll deal with that on my own.

Even though I haven't slept, I'm still in bed. I wish I could just roll over and let dreams take me under and sleep the day away but it's not me. And I've got assignments that need to be done before class tomorrow. I won't let my grades drop just because Aiden's family is behind my grant money.

Setting up in the bed, I got to work on my assignment. Focusing on my laptop and trying really hard not to remember that Aiden gave it to me, I ignored the knock on my door and pushed myself to just keep working. When the door opened and Hunter poked her head in at me, I knew my concentration was gone.

"Good, you're up." Hunter walks in without invitation and lays down across the foot of the bed. "Are you trying to ignore us or are you really working?"

"I have a lot of work to get done. I'm sorry, I'm just busy." I don't want to tell her that I'm getting much done anyway.

"Well, we can help you with that if you want to come back to the hospital with us. We figured we'd take over the waiting room and get our homework done too. We can only visit Grandma in shifts so we will have plenty of study time." Hunter smiles then and taps her fingers on her cheek. "Aiden spent the night there. I guess he's not handling things well. He could use a friend."

I know what she's doing. As much as I appreciate that she's trying to help us, I can't go back there. His family has enough to think about. They don't need strangers butting in. I have to remember that's pretty much what I am. They've met me a few times but that doesn't make me a part of their group.

"I'll text him later. You should go. Your family needs you. I hope Georgia is doing better." My decision is final. I'm not going back there.

"Okay but I know Aiden wants you there." Hunter sits up and looks at the doorway where Colby and Emery were watching us. "Just promise me you'll give him time. His Dad has really done a number on him. Aiden's trying to work through it. Don't give up on him."

I nod knowing that if I were in his shoes I'd be struggling too. I won't promise anything but I won't walk away from him. I'd still want to be his friend if he doesn't want anything else. I can do that... no matter how much it hurts.

The girls left and the apartment was quiet. Pulling my unruly hair up out of my face, I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror and sighed. I'm not like those girls who marry the football star. I'm the nerd that is ignored, I'm the waitress who waits on the players not one who lands them.

Pushing at a stray hair to get it out of my eyes, I push and pull at the small lines around my eyes. "Adam's right about that. I'd never fit in his world."

Giving up on my looks, I pad out to the kitchen and get a bottle of water. As I head back to my room, there's a quick knock on the door. Thinking it's one of the girls forgetting something, I go back and open the door.

My mouth drops open looking at the man in front of me. It takes a moment of staring at each other before I find my voice. "The girls went to the hospital. I think the rest of the family is there."

I can only assume he's here for them, not me.

"Good, because I'm here to explain my son to you." Adam brushed past me and into the room like he owns the place. But then, I guess he does.

"You don't need to explain him to me. I know who Aiden is." I counter leaving the door open since I don't expect him to stick around long.

Adam looks around like he just walked into a slum. His nose seems to go up as he looks around. Our comfortable living room that is cluttered but clean, our kitchen with a few glasses in the sink and a scattering of snacks on the counter.

We're college students, we don't have expensive furniture or lavish decorations. Yes the girls are his nieces but we pay for our own living expenses. I don't think any of the family has paid for one thing for us. Which actually is a surprise now that I think about it.

"I'll be brief. Aiden has a good heart. He doesn't like to see those who have less than he does struggle. He used to give the other kids in grade school his lunches then his pencils. He even gave a child his coat when the boy came to school without one. My son is very giving of his time, to those in need and those he pities." Adam turns glaring at me like I was the one who deceived him.

I haven't taken anything from Aiden or his family. I won't even let Aiden pay for the movies without a fight. I like to pay my way. I carry my weight and don't rely on others to carry me. I've always been careful about that. To be accused otherwise is wrong.

"I applied for my grants and earned every grade to get them. I didn't ask for more than I was initially granted. I never asked Aiden for a dime." Defensive and pissed, my hands tighten into fists by my sides.

Adam waves his hand at me like all my hard work doesn't matter. It matters to me!

"You didn't have to. Aiden felt sorry for you from the moment he saw you. You met in the quad right? Some girl knocked you down?" My mouth opened to ask how he knew but no sound came out.

"You're an only child without a mother, being raised by a workaholic father who can barely keep a roof over your head." It was like a cold slap across the face to hear him break down my life this way. "Oh you're smart, you get good grades and stay out of trouble. But you'll never be special, Riley. You're nothing special and Aiden needs someone spectacular to keep his interest, to be able to handle the life he leads."

Swallowing hard, listening to his words and how little this man really thinks about me or anyone who isn't in his financial class was revolting. He really believes that he's better than those who have to work hard to make ends meet. Aiden is nothing like him.

"Your son has an empathy that you don't." My back straightens as I hold my ground. "A strong man sees those less fortunate. A strong man gives to those in need. A strong man holds a hand to those he loves and stays stronger by keeping them together. You, Mr Bradford, are not a strong man. Your son, however, is one of the strongest men I've ever met."

Adam walked to me, staring into my eyes and doing his best to intimidate me. Unfortunately, it was working. "I'm stronger than my son. See, I know who is important enough to bend rules for. I know what to do to ensure I win at all costs. I know where I stand at all times. I know when to cut my losses. And I know how to..."

"Be in the wrong place at the wrong time." Aiden stood in the doorway looking furiously at his father without giving me a single glance. "Riley, are you okay?"

"She's fine, Aiden. Really, do you think I'm going to hurt her? We were just having a nice chat, letting each other know where the other stands." Adam turned away from me, like his point was made and I've been dismissed. "You really should make yourself presentable for company. It is well past noon."

Aiden ignored the jab at my appearance and came closer to me. Concern laced his words. "Riley? Please tell me he didn't hurt you? Tell me we're still okay?"

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

134K 10.5K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔻𝕒𝕣𝕜 & 𝕃𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕊𝕖𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...
374K 3K 10
This is a sample of The Quarterback's Keeper. This book is now published on Amazon available digital and paperback . To read the Dual Threat Series p...
757K 42.8K 47
After a car accident leaves Riley Perez in a coma, she wakes up in the hospital a year later. With the absence of the memories of her loved ones, she...
206K 6.6K 45
Joey got up off my bed and made his way out of the room, stopping before he exited. "For the record, if we had of had sex, there's no way you wouldn...