Lost Memories

By puragringa

๐™Š๐™ง๐™ž๐™œ๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™–๐™ก๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™œ๐™ž๐™˜๐™–๐™ก ๐™ˆ๐™ช๐™œ๐™œ๐™ก๐™š (๐™๐™€-๐™’๐™๐™„๐™๐™๐™€๐™‰) ~ Muggles and Hogwarts don't mix. It's... More

forward
- Before Hogwarts
i. the move
ii. books
- Goblet of Fire
iii. kings cross
iv. hogwarts
v. professors
vi. professor "moody"
vii. comfort food
viii. beauxbaton & durmstrang
ix. champions
x. friendships
xi. magic
xii. gryffindor balls
xiii. dragons
xiv. saving graces
xv. boys
xvi. missing people
xvii. information
xviii. water balloons
xix. saviour
xx. loss
xxi. development
- Order of the Phoenix
xxii. question and answer
xxiii. screaming contest
xxiv. problems
xxv. promises
xxvi. favourite girl
xxvii. professor umbitch
xxviii. charm bracelet
xxix. bloodlines
xxx. quidditch
xxxi. hagrid
xxxii. kisses
xxxiii. the dream
xxxiv. horrible confrontation
xxxv. lillies
xxxvi. stood up
xxxvii. jinxed
xxxix. punishment
xl. chaos
xli. the prophecy
xlii. missed
xliii. decisions
- Half-Blood Prince
xliv. pissed off
xlv. draco malfoy
xlvi. switched professors
xlvii. new chaser
xlviii. jewellery
xlix. crushed
li. apparation
lii. tears and pain
liii. problems
liv. turn of events
lv. war
lvi. forever friends
- Deathly Hallows
lvii. lost soldier
lviii. outbursts
lix. bad to worse
lx. grimmauld place
lxi. back at the ministry
lxii. splinched
lxiii. broken friendship
lxiv. godric's hollows
lxv. accidental unforgivables
lxvi. the cloak, the stone, and the wand
lxvii. snatchers
lxviii. tortured
lxix. lestrange's vault
lxx. unexpected help
lxxi. teamwork
lxxii. officially lost
lxxiii. broken family
lxxiv. memories
lxxv. everything's gone
lxxvi. final battle
lxxvii. initium novum

l. christmas

692 40 6
By puragringa

Hermione and I stuck together most of the time, sometimes allowing Harry to join; Ron didn't seem to understand why Hermione was so short with him and continued to ask me until I explained that it was because he had been rude to her two times in a week. Plus Hermione and I haven't spoken to Lavender Brown, who seems to be attached to Ron's lips.

"Harry, you have to be careful," I warned him. We were currently in the library since Ron and Lavender were in the common room, making out.

"Not you, too," Harry groaned.

"I'm not talking about your Prince problem– which I still think you shouldn't listen to, but that's not what it is," I rolled my eyes. "I'm talking about earlier. I went into the girls' bathroom with Hermione, just before we came in here, and there were about a dozen girls in there, including Romilda Vane, trying to decide how to slip you a love potion. They're all hoping they're going to get you to take them to Slughorn's party and they all seem to have bought Fred and George's love potions—"

"Why didn't you confiscate them then?" demanded Harry of Hermione.

"They haven't the potions with them in the bathroom," said Hermione scornfully. "They were just discussing tactics. As I doubt whether even the Half-Blood Prince" — she gave the book another nasty look — "could dream up an antidote for a dozen different love potions at once, I'd just invite someone to go with you, that'll stop all the others thinking they've still got a chance. It's tomorrow night, they're getting desperate."

"There isn't anyone I want to invite," mumbled Harry.

I frowned at him as Hermione shot me a look.

"Well, just be careful what you drink, because Romilda Vane looked like she meant business," I said grimly. "She seems to only want you because she thinks you're The Chosen One."

"But I am The Chosen One," Harry said with a smirk. I hit him over the head with one of the books in my hands, causing him to cry out in pain. "I'm joking! It's a joke," he added, rubbing the sore spot.

"We're being serious, Harry," Hermione warned. "It's dangerous!"

"Hang on a moment," he said slowly. "I thought Filch had banned anything bought at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes?"

"And when has anyone ever paid attention to what Filch has banned?" I asked, absentmindedly reading my Alchemy book.

Before either of them could respond, Madam Pince came around and kicked us out of the library once she saw Harry's Potions book. Stepping into the common room, we were quickly stopped by Romilda Vane.

"Hi, Harry!" she said. "Fancy a gillywater?"

I coughed dramatically and walked away with Hermione just in time to hear, "No, thanks. I don't like it much."

"Well, take these anyway," I heard Romilda say. "Chocolate Cauldrons, they've got firewhisky in them. My gran sent them to me, but I don't like them."

"Oh— right— thanks a lot," Harry responded. "Er— I'm just going over here with... my friends."

Harry came over to Hermione and me with a box of chocolates.

"Told you so," Hermione and I chorused.

"The sooner you ask someone, the sooner they'll all leave you alone and you can—"

But Hermione's face suddenly turned blank, staring at something behind me. Turning around, I spotted Ron and Lavender, who were entwined in the same armchair.

"Good night, Harry," Hermione said. "Come on, Charlotte," she grabbed my hand and dragged me up the stairs.

After our last lesson, Hermione and I walked together to the common room. The common room was busy with people running around getting ready for Slughorn's party.

"—really freaked them out, but as there hasn't been anything since— Oh, hi, Hermione, Charlotte!" Pavarti beamed at us.

"Hi, Parvati," said Hermione.

"Are you going to Slughorn's party tonight?" I asked her.

"No invite," said Parvati gloomily. "I'd love to go, though, it sounds like it's going to be really good. You're going, aren't you?"

"Yes, but I don't have a date. I didn't get to ask anyone and no one had asked me," I shrugged.

"Hermione, who are you going with?" she asked.

"I'm meeting Cormac at eight, and we're going up to the party together," Hermione smiled.

"Cormac?" said Parvati. "Cormac McLaggen, you mean?"

"That's right," said Hermione sweetly. "The one who almost" — she put a great deal of emphasis on the word — "became Gryffindor Keeper."

Ron pulled off of Lavender's face and looked at Hermione, blatantly staring.

"Are you going out with him, then?" asked Parvati, wide-eyed.

"Oh — yes — didn't you know?" said Hermione, giggling.

"Wow, you like your Quidditch players, don't you? First Krum, then McLaggen..."

"I like really good Quidditch players," Hermione corrected her, still smiling.

"Hermione," I elbowed her. Ron looked angry and confused, almost hurt.

"Come on, Lottie... got to go and get ready for the party!" Hermione grabbed my hand and dragged me away from the group before I could say bye.

"You're pushing it, Hermione," I scolded her, braiding her hair over her shoulder.

"I don't know what you're talking about," she huffed.

I whacked her upside the head earning an ow and said, "Not only did you call him a bad Quidditch player, but also rub in his face that you're going with McLaggen– a complete douche."

"You don't underst—"

"Just– let's go," I groaned.

Hermione and I finished getting ready for Slughorn's party. Hermione wore her hair in a braid and wore a knee-length blue dress with a black shawl; I pinned the front pieces of my hair and put on a long-sleeved green velvet dress that fell just above my knees. At eight o'clock, McLaggen came to get Hermione in the common room and allowed me to walk with them– not before giving me a glare, clearly still upset he missed one of my trick shots during Quidditch trials.

Slughorn's office rang with the sounds of laughter, music, and the loud conversation was growing louder with every step I took.

Whether it had been built that way, or because he had used magical trickery to make it so, Slughorn's office was much larger than the usual teacher's study. The ceiling and walls had been draped with emerald, crimson, and gold hangings so that it looked as though we were all inside a vast tent. The room was crowded and stuffy and bathed in the red light cast by an ornate golden lamp dangling from the centre of the ceiling in which real fairies were fluttering, each a brilliant speck of light.

"No date, Charlotte?" Slughorn asked when I walked in.

Slughorn was wearing a tasselled velvet hat to match his smoking jacket.

My face grew hot, "Nope. Single lady tonight."

"Planning on snatching up someone's partner, aye?" he laughed and walked away from me.

I tried searching for any faces I knew, but to my misfortune, only Hermione with McLaggen who keeps trying to drag her under the mistletoe.

"Harry, m'boy," I heard Slughorn bellow.

Deciding to rescue Hermione instead of saying 'hi' to Harry and Luna, I walked over to the pair and cleared my throat.

"What would you like, Harring?" McLaggen said.

"Hermione doesn't look like she wants to kiss you," I pointed to Hermione, who was trying to pull her hands out of his.

"How do you know what—"

"McLaggen, let her go," I pulled my wand out from my sleeve.

"Fine, Miss Snape," McLaggen put his hands in the air and backed away from Hermione.

"Oh, thank goodness," Hermione breathed, hugging me.

"Told you he's a douche," I gave her a pointed look.

"Hermione! Charlotte!"

We both turned to see Harry jogging away from two weird-looking men with Luna in hand.

"Hi, Luna! I didn't know you were coming," I pulled her into a hug and smiled at Harry.

"What's happened to you?" asked Harry looking at Hermione.

"Oh, I've just escaped — I mean, I've just left Cormac, thanks to Lottie," she said. "Under the mistletoe," she added in explanation, as Harry continued to look questioningly at her.

"Serves you right for coming with him," Harry's voice came from behind me.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw Harry looking probably angry.

"I thought he'd annoy Ron most," said Hermione dispassionately. "I debated for a while about Zacharias Smith—"

"You considered Smith?" said Harry, revolted.

"I'm glad you had options," I wrinkled my nose at Hermione.

Professor Trelawney came over and began speaking with Luna while Hermione and Harry argued in whispered tones about Ron. Harry drew closer to Hermione and said, "Let's get something straight. Are you planning to tell Ron that you interfered at Keeper tryouts?"

Hermione raised her eyebrows. "Do you really think I'd stoop that low?"

Harry looked at her shrewdly. "Hermione, if you can ask out McLaggen —"

"There's a difference," said Hermione with dignity. "I've got no plans to tell Ron anything about what might, or might not, have happened at Keeper tryouts."

"Good," said Harry fervently. "Because he'll just fall apart again, and we'll lose the next match —"

"Quidditch!" said Hermione angrily. "Is that all boys care about? Cormac hasn't asked me one single question about —"

"Harry, McLaggen would have missed my shot anyways," I rolled my eyes.

"Dragon tart?" a waiter said as we passed.

I stopped, "no thank you."

"Just as well," he shrugged. "They give one horribly bad breath."

Hermione and I shared a look.

"Oh, second thought," Hermione said and grabbed the tray from the waiter— "maybe it'll keep McLaggen at bay. Oh no, here he comes!"

She shoved two in her mouth and pushed the tray in my hands, running away from us. Harry and I were left alone.

"Seen Hermione?" asked McLaggen, forcing his way through the throng a minute later.

"Would you like me to show you how muggles duel?" I smiled sweetly.

Harry elbowed me while Hermione pinched the back of my arm.

"No, sorry," said Harry.

"Why do you have to be so threatening?" Hermione asked once McLaggen left.

"Because these stupid boys think that just because I'm small doesn't mean I can't—"

"What's going on over here?" he asked.

"Nothing," I sighed.

Just as Snape went to go say something, there was a disruption coming towards us. Looking around Snape, I saw Slughorn walking over as Filch dragged Draco Malfoy over to us. The three of us made our way over to them.

"—I discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor," Filch wheezed as Draco struggled in his grip. "He claims to have been invited to your party and to have been delayed in setting out. Did you issue him with an invitation?"

Before Draco can answer, I stepped forward and smiled, "Draco! You were supposed to meet me outside of Gryffindor Tower. I had gotten tired of waiting so I came in with Hermione and her date."

Draco pulled himself free of Filch's grip, looking furious.

"See? Happy now?" he said angrily.

"No, I'm not!" said Filch, a statement at complete odds with the glee on his face. "You both are lying, you are! Didn't the headmaster say that nighttime prowling's out unless you've got permission, didn't he, eh? And when Umbridge was Headmistress—"

"That's all right, Argus, that's all right," said Slughorn, waving a hand. "It's Christmas, and this lovely girl says Draco is her date. Perfect. Lovely. Wonderful! Have some mead, you may stay, Draco."

Filch's expression of outraged disappointment was perfectly predictable; but why did Draco look equally unhappy as Filch? Did he really not want me to save him? And Snape also looked angry and...afraid?

Filch had turned and shuffled away, muttering under his breath; Draco had composed his face into a smile and was thanking Slughorn for being understanding and Snape's face was smoothly inscrutable again.

Looping my arm with Draco, I gave him a tight smile as he spoke with Slughorn. Looking back at Harry, he looked confused and upset... slightly jealous; Hermione also looked jealous, while Luna looked up at the pretty candles that decorated the room.

"Draco, how are you—"

"I'd like a word with you, Draco," said Snape suddenly.

"Oh, now, Severus," said Slughorn, hiccuping again, "it's Christmas, don't be too hard on him for standing up your—"

"That is not what this is about. And besides, I'm his Head of House, and I shall decide how hard, or otherwise, to be," said Snape curtly. "Follow me, Draco."

"Wait, he didn't even—"

"Not now, Charlotte," Snape turned to me. "Draco, follow me."

They left, Snape leading the way, Draco looking resentful. Harry stood there for a moment, irresolute, then said, "I'll be back in a bit, Luna — er — bathroom."

"All right," Luna said cheerfully and turned away with Hermione.

Harry hurried through the crowd and I followed him, grabbing his arm, "I'm coming with, I want to know—"

"Come on then," Harry pulled me out of the party and into the empty corridor.

It was easy, once out of the party, for Harry to pulled his Invisibility Cloak out of his pocket and threw it over us. What was more difficult was finding Snape and Draco. Harry put a finger to his mouth and mouthed, "follow me." I ducked as he pressed his ear against the door after door as he dashed down the corridor until he crouched down to the keyhole of the last classroom in the corridor and beckoned me over. Without being able to see, I put my ear to the door as Harry looked through the keyhole.

"—cannot afford mistakes, Draco, because if you are expelled —"

"I didn't have anything to do with it, all right?"

"I hope you are telling the truth because it was both clumsy and foolish. Already you are suspected of having a hand in it."

"I know Potter suspects me, always!" said Draco angrily. "Especially with his care for Charlo—"

"Regardless of it, you need to stop your nighttime prowls. It isn't safe," Snape said coldly.

"For the last time, I didn't do it, okay? That Bell girl must've had an enemy no one knows about — don't look at me like that! I know what you're doing, I'm not stupid, but it won't work — I can stop you!"

There was a pause and then Snape said quietly, "Ah, Aunt Bellatrix has been teaching you Occlumency, I see. What thoughts are you trying to conceal from your master, Draco?"

"I'm not trying to conceal anything from him, I just don't want you butting in!"

"So that is why you have been avoiding me this term? You have feared my interference? You realize that had anybody else failed to come to my office when I had told them repeatedly to be there, Draco —"

"So put me in detention! Report me to Dumbledore!" jeered Draco.

There was another pause. Then Snape said, "You know perfectly well that I do not wish to do either of those things."

"You'd better stop telling me to come to your office then!"

"Listen to me," said Snape, his voice so low now that I could barely hear. "I am trying to help you. I swore to your mother I would protect you. I made the Unbreakable Vow, Draco —"

I gasped and Harry slapped his hand over my mouth. Snape nor Draco seemed to notice anything.

"Looks like you'll have to break it, then, because I don't need your protection! It's my job, he gave it to me and I'm doing it, I've got a plan and it's going to work, it's just taking a bit longer than I thought it would!"

"What is your plan?"

"It's none of your business!"

"If you tell me what you are trying to do, I can assist you —"

"I've got all the assistance I need, thanks, I'm not alone!"

"You were certainly alone tonight, which was foolish in the extreme, wandering the corridors without lookouts or backup. You're lucky my daughter has a liking towards you and saw how you would have gotten into trouble," said Snape. "That was pure luck and certainly won't happen—"

"I never asked her to help me, she did it on her own! Plus I could've had Crabbe and Goyle with me if you hadn't put them in detention!"

"Keep your voice down!" spat Snape, for Draco's voice had risen excitedly. "If your friends Crabbe and Goyle intend to pass their Defense Against the Dark Arts O.W.L. this time around, they will need to work a little harder than they are doing at pres —"

"What does it matter?" said Draco. "Defense Against the Dark Arts — it's all just a joke, isn't it, an act? Like any of us need protecting against the Dark Arts —"

"It is an act that is crucial to success, Draco!" said Snape. "Where do you think I would have been all these years if I had not known how to act? Now listen to me! You are being incautious, wandering around at night, getting yourself caught, and if you are placing your reliance in assistants like Crabbe and Goyle —"

"They're not the only ones, I've got other people on my side, better people!"

"Then why not confide in me, and I can —"

"I know what you're up to! You want to steal my glory!" Draco scoffed. "That's why you call Charlotte your daughter now. I know who her mother was! The Dark—"

"Charlotte has nothing to do with his. You are speaking like a child. I quite understand that your father's capture and imprisonment has upset you, but —"

We barely had a second's warning: Draco's footsteps got louder on the otherwise of the door; Harry grabbed me and flung us out of the way just as it opened: Draco was striding away down the corridor, past the open door of Slughorn's office, around the distant corner, and out of sight.

Hardly daring to breathe, we remained crouched down as Snape emerged slowly from the classroom. His expression unfathomable, he returned to the party. I remained on the floor, hidden beneath the cloak with Harry, my mind racing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.9K 1.5K 41
Princess Evelyn was trapped in a life she didn't want. One day Prince Thranduil comes walking and in. Would she accept him or would she push him away...
65.6K 3.7K 83
For as long as she could remember, Liruliniel had one goal, one hope, one thing she wanted to aspire to be and do: she wanted to be a royal guard, li...
247K 8.8K 83
[Semi-Canon] [Highest Rating- #1 in sherlocklovestory] It's Autumn in London and Love is in season for one Consulting Detective and Zoologist. Sherlo...
579K 8.8K 86
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...