A Second Chance (Marco x Fem...

By jen123454321

'You look over to the spot your parents were standing not even a half a minute ago. Your ears were ringing, t... More

General info before reading
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9 - Pt.1
Chapter 9 - Pt.2
Chapter 9 - Pt. 3
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A/N, Quick easter vacay
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Marco's mom
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59 (NSFW)
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74 (Finale); The Aftermath...
Reminder for anime-onlys!:)

Chapter 42

702 30 12
By jen123454321

"Eren!". The relentless hacking-noise of Jean and Mikasa's swords against the crystal rung out between the walls of the cage. For the last ten minutes, you had tried to free Eren from the crystallized nape, and quite desperately so. If there was one thing you've learned from experience so far, it's that it didn't seem like your swords could penetrate such material... However, in this case it looked to be working.

"Eren!", Mikasa yelled again, the crystal cracking as she sent another hit. She was now able to pull him out by force.

'Hmm, it seems as though the crystal can be penetrated if the host is actively trying to get out as well... Could that be the reason? I need to write this down!'

You quickly found your notebook and started scribbling down your thoughts and theories on what you saw. After some hugging and exclaims of relief from seeing him being okay, you all regrouped by the foot of his titan form, Eren seeming to regain more and more strength by the minute.

"That's what I call hardening", Levi stated while looking up at the vast form. "Even after cutting you away, the titan hasn't disappeared. Pretty impressive". You quickly brought out your notebook again, making sure to note down anything useful.

"That bottle... Oh yeah! Right before I turned into a titan, I drank that 'Armour' bottle", Eren informed you with wide eyes.

'Armour bottle, got it!'

"Yeah, you couldn't do it at all before, but you used the hardening power and saved all of us. In the blink of an eye, you devised and built all this. Yeah the construction looks shoddy, but... I bet that's how the walls were made too".

You took a look around you for the millionth time, noticing every single detail of the intricate crystal pattern of the cage. You figured you should draw it as well.

Slumping down beside where Eren was currently seated you started sketching.

"In other words...", Levi continued, crouching down in front of Eren with the tiniest hint of a smirk. "It's possible for us to plug that hole in Wall Maria now".  Your pencil froze in its movement as you for the first time thought of what exactly Eren finally being able to crystalize meant for yourself and for humanity. You were finally going to be able to go home.

"A lot of enemies and allies have died on the way, and getting this far hasn't been pretty. But for as ugly it has been, look at the position we're in now".

You continued drawing, now starting on the details.

'We'll finally be able to investigate Eren's basement, and maybe I'll be able to see our house... Maybe even able to see them?'

"Captain! We've secured an exit!", Sasha yelled from above, where she, along with Connie and Marco, had been working relentlessly to move rocks and pebbles so you could leave this place safely.

"Armin's safe, Moblit and Hange too!", Marco said with a smile as him and Connie also came reeling down from the ceiling.

"Well done", Levi said content.

"Eren!"

"Are you okay?"

The three of the ran straight too him, Sasha collapsing down on all fours, bowing to his feet.

"We're all safe thanks to you. But to be perfectly honest, when you ran off prancing while crying like a baby... I thought we were doomed!", she started rambling on, clearly having a lot on her mind after that close call. " 'It's over, over! Get it together, nincompoop! Quit bawling like a snotty-nose brat!'- is what I thought". You all stared at her in silence, Marco frozen in his position with his hand on Eren's shoulder, as Sasha had started talking while he was about to greet him.

"Hey...", Connie said airy, eyebrows raised as he eyed her on the ground.

"Let's go. We're going after that big-ass titan", Levi declared.

"No, wait! I just have to add a bit more to my drawing!", you protested, Sasha's rambling had distracted you from finishing. Levi sighed slightly.

"That's not important right now". You abruptly looked at him with your eyebrows raised.

"Not important?! You know Hange will hunt me down to the end of the walls if I don't get this sight down on paper", you argued passionately. He looked at you for a second, the right corner of his mouth twitching slightly upwards.

"I guess that's not wrong, she's more unpredictable than an abnormal", he simply said, before looking over at Marco. It was like they were having a silent conversation that only lasted for a couple of seconds, the short glance ending with a sideways motion of his head in your direction. Marco walked up to you and scooped you up over his shoulder, so that your upper half was hanging by his back while he held you securely by your legs.

"Hey!"

"You can draw as much as you can manage in the time it takes for us to get up. Better not waste any time complaining", Levi said, already walking towards the area of the hole. You wanted to protest, but resorted to keeping quiet, only letting out a little annoyed sigh.

'At least he met me half way... kind of'

~

Ascending from the hole, you were met with a chilling sight. The ground before you had a ginormous crack from where Rod's titan had left the crystal caves. In the distance you could spot him, caving his way forward with slow motions, the ground shaking slightly whenever his hands would smack against the ground. He still looked to be as hot as fire, his skin almost seeming to burn.

You were all quick to get on your way; Hange, Historia, Eren and Mikasa riding in the carriage again. It didn't take long before you crossed paths with none other than Erwin himself.

"I everyone alright?", he wanted to know, looking at each and everyone of you one after the other.

"Hange is our only casualty", Levi informed him, riding up to stand by his side. Erwin looked down at Hange who laid flat on her back on the bottom for the carriage. She gave him a little wave. After assessing Hange's state quietly for a moment, he looked back at Levi.

"Seems like nothing too serious. Well done, everyone", he said, his voice bearing a tone of proudness. You smiled slightly and gave him a nod.

"I've got a whole slew of things to report, but first... That titan. It's Rod Reiss". Erwin seemed rather surprised by this information. "I think we need your call on this, Commander".

Erwin looked deep in thought for a moment, before turning to face Rod's titan. "Regardless, we don't have time to stand here and chat. Return to Wall Sina".

"You're going to let that big ass crawl up to the wall?", Levi asked confused.

"To Orvud District, actually. That's most likely where it's headed. It moves slow, so we'll be able to get there before he does. Let me think of a plan and we'll talk once we're back at the wall". Levi gave him a curt nod, and with that Erwin and his men rode off.

~

For the past fifteen minutes, Eren and Historia had been filling the rest of you in on what happened to them and what information they gathered after they got captured.

"So basically, Rod Reiss was after the Founding titan, the titan power inside Eren. However, the founding can't reach its true potential unless someone with Reiss blood hosts it. Though, even if a Reiss obtains that power, they're controlled by the First King's will and refuse to liberate humanity from the titans...", Hange summed up the information just shared. "Eh? Well, isn't that interesting...".

You felt overwhelmed by this. It seems like everything you uncover is a part of something even bigger. Like after overcoming one obstacle, there awaits another one that is even harder to figure out.

"So according to the First King, this is true peace? I'm sorry, but I don't see it", you said sarcastically with a sigh.

"In other words... We still have an option", Eren suddenly spoke up. "If that titan eats me, Rod Reiss will turn back into a human. Which means it's still possible to have a true Founding Titan". You turned your head to look at him with furrowed brows. You get where he's coming from, but there's no way you're going to let him sacrifice himself like that.

"You can't-", Mikasa started protesting, but Levi cut her off.

"Seems that way. We can capture Rod Reiss once he becomes a human again. Then undo the First King's brainwashing. If we can do that, it might open a path to save humanity. Plus, Eren... Are you saying you're fully prepared to let that happen?". Eren turned to him with a determined look.

"I am"

You looked over at Marco who rode beside you, giving him a nervous look. He looked worried as well, lowering his gaze after holding it on yours for a short while.

"Eren, you can't...", Mikasa tried again. Historia finally said something after keeping quiet for the longest time.

"You're forgetting our other option", she said stern. "First of all, the current plan is full of flaws. One, there's no proof that you can undo Rod Reiss' brainwashing. No matter how you restrain him, if he alters humanity's memories, it's over. There's too many factors about the Founding Titan that we just don't know".

"I second that. Whatever we do, we need to be certain that the outcome doesn't end in humanity having to start from scratch again. We've come too far and sacrificed too much for that", you agreed.

"Yes. Even if Rod Reiss eats Eren, we have no guarantee that he'll turn back to normal either", Armin chimed in from the rider-seat of the carriage. You and Historia both nodded, before she turned to face Eren.

"Your father was trying to save us and humanity from the First King. He stole the Founding Titan from my sister... because he had no other choice". Her word seemed to make the wheels in Eren's head turn. He looked baffled. Raising his hand to his forehead, he whispered out for his dad.

"That's right! The Dr. Yaeger I know wouldn't do something like that for no reason at all", Armin argued.

"I agree. I only talked to him a couple of times when he had to come help cure my dad's severe cold. And whenever we would cross paths with him when we went out to the market, he never turned down the opportunity to talk and make sure my family was doing okay. Still, only based on those few interactions I could tell what kind of man he was, and my parents never stopped gushing over how much they adored him and your family", you decided to share. He needed to hear it. "He was a man with heart and reason". You looked Eren in the eyes the entire time you spoke, and not once did he shy away. You could practically see his mind racing to process the meaning of your words.

"Right. Even without having Reiss blood, there must be a way to save humanity. That's why he left you the key to the basement", Mikasa said.

"What basement?- OH! That whole thing? You mean it's actually important?", Sasha said with a nervous little laugh. You huffed slightly, remembering how in focus that key and basement was around the time you joined the scouts. So much have happened since then, it's not weird she forgot about it...

"Oh... yeah...", Connie agreed, suddenly remembering the basement as well.

"We've finally got a way to plug up the wall. The way I see it, there's only one choice", Jean said after a while.

"That makes life a little easier..."

"If it means anything, I agree with that choice. Though, are you sure about this Historia? We can't exactly have a titan like that wandering around inside the walls", Hange asked her. This was a choice that was non-reversable. Once we kill him, then there goes the only person left of her family. You felt bad for her. She's only ever known hardships in life, never gotten to be the person she truly wanted to be. And with Ymir gone as well...

"Eren, I'm sorry", she said after thinking for a while. "Under the Reiss Chapel... I really did consider becoming a titan and killing you. What's more, not even to save humanity... It was only because I wanted to believe my father. I didn't want him to hate me...". She paused for a second, looking down, hurt. You cowered in your position, your sympathy for her almost suffocating you. She looked back up, now more determined, and you could tell she had made up her mind. "But now, it's time to say goodbye".

~

You had arrived at the Orvud District – Regiment Branch about twenty minutes later, finally able to stretch your legs and give the horses a little break. You and Sasha helped each other crack each other's backs, and you finally felt mobile again.

"Please gather your squad in the hall. The strategy meeting is about to begin", a messenger-soldier informed Levi, before saluting and leaving once Levi dismissed him.

"What even is the time?", you asked tired, gently rubbing your eyes. This night seemed never-ending.

"Probably around five in the morning, give-or-take", Levi said casually, walking over to you and Sasha, accompanied by the rest. "Historia, I forgot to tell you. We need you to do something". You all looked at her, puzzled.

"Yes?"

"Erwin's orders. When this battle is over, since you're the true successor to the throne... We need you to become the Queen"

'....'

'...Wait, wha-'

You all gasped slightly. "Q-queen?! Historia?!", Sasha exclaimed, gaping the widest out of all of you.

"The coup d'état was successful, but the people won't follow a regiment sitting at the top. What we need is a story to spread. That the true heir retook the crown from the fake"

"I..."

"Um, Captain?", Connie raised his hand like a schoolboy asking a question. "I'm sure you heard what Historia said earlier, but... well, um... By leaving her father, she finally broke free from that burden, I guess you could say... And yet again...". He was struggling to get to the point, scared of what reaction he would receive.

"What? If you have something to say, say it"

"Oh! Um-"

Marco decided to help him out. "What he is trying to say, is that Historia broke free from the Reiss family and has finally received the perfect opportunity to live for herself. And now you're forcing her into another role? Isn't that... you know... a bit unfair to her?-". Levi didn't even manage to respond before Historia spoke up.

"Alright, I'll do it. My next duty is to be Queen, right? Understood."

You reached out an arm for her, placing it on her shoulder. "Historia..."

"Thanks for your concern", she gave you a weak smile that didn't reach her eyes. "But whether or not it's forced on me is up to me to decide, I think. However; Captain I do have one condition.". Levi raised an eyebrow, indicating he was listening. "If we could, I would like to discuss the condition at the meeting".

Levi looked at her for a second, before motioning for you all to follow him inside.

_________________________________

A/N:

Exciting times! Next chapter will evolve around taking down Rod Reiss : )

I'll just mention that I'm planning on writing some 'exclusively Y/N and Marco chapters' after Rod Reiss is defeated, if anyone where wondering or have missed the focus being on Marco and Y/N's relationship: ) I just want the story to be as realistic as possible, so I have to wait for things to calm down a bit on Paradis, if that makes sense: )

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed the chapter!<3

~Jen

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

745K 22.1K 43
You..had an unusual situation. You were right there on the day your Mom was devoured by the mouth of a 'Titan'. You had just been found after being l...
284 3 6
"Hard times are often blessings in disguise. You must let go and let life strengthen you. No matter how much it hurts, hold your head and keep going...
6.5K 172 31
"Everyone changes." This year you moved to Paradis. It was your year to start over. Once you've got settled into Paradis University with your roommat...
3K 106 11
Eren furrowed his eyes irritated at the fact that who else beside him was seeking your attention away. "Who?" Eren asked out of frustration as jealou...