Blinded Fools | Anthony Bridg...

By blueskydreamer77

London 1813, A new social season is underway and the ton is buzzing with the excitement of a new scandal she... More

Cast
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty one
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter twenty five
Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter seven

8.9K 281 22
By blueskydreamer77

Hey Guys!

Happy Saturday, get ready for some Elizabeth and Anthony moments! Enjoy : 😉 _______________________________________________________________________

"Lizzie, if you keep staring out the window with such intensity you may go crossed eyed" Simon said, leaning his head back against his hand. "What's troubling you?"

Elizabeth shot him an irritated look from her position in the carriage across from him and her aunt as they ventured to Lady Trowbridge's ball. "What did the Viscount wish to speak to you about?" she leaned forward.

Simon her waved off and then shooting her aunt an amused looked. "Why do you care about the Viscount?" he asked.

Why did she care? She thought. This man had irritated her since the moment she had met him. so what was it that had bothered her? why should she care what Simon and Anthony had spoken about? She shrugged, in response.

"Busybody" he muttered.

"hmm" Her aunt pondered studying Elizabeth's face.

"What? Why are you staring at me like that?" Elizabeth raised her brows.

"You'll find out soon enough" She laughed looking at a now confused Simon and Elizabeth.

The carriage came to a halt and the door opened by a footman distracting her from responding to her aunt.

"Shall we?" Her aunt quipped.

Elizabeth and Her aunt on both arms of The Duke as they entered the ball. They walked towards the Bridgertons, where an excited Daphne stood upon seeing Simon and a stern-faced Anthony.

"A Dance Miss Bridgerton?" Simon asked immediately and before Anthony could protest, her aunt had successfully engaged him in conversation knowing too well he would not ignore her or interrupt her in such a public venue.

"I would love to your grace" Daphne beamed before the pair moved towards the ballroom floor leaving the rest of them behind.

"Miss Priestly, you look positively breathtaking. May I have this dance?" Collin smiled taking her gloved hand to kiss.

Anthony could see Elizabeth's cheeks begin to blush at the devilish charm in Colin's compliment. He took a rather uncharitable displeasure in this. His reaction was, he knew, a touch out of character for him. Miss Priestley had on multiple occasions sparked his temper, which always made him positively itch to do battle with her. So why did care that his brother had asked her to dance?

"I would love to sir" and with that, the pair departed to the ballroom floor joining a now-dancing Simon and Daphne.

"Now then," Collin said, once their feet began to move in the familiar step. "Please tell me your secret?"

Elizabeth looked up at him with confusion, an unreasonable panic grew. What secret? Did she have a secret?

"I am confused Sir? What secret?"

"How are you able to bother my brother with such ease." he laughed. "I must say I was so impressed with your display at our dinner! I have never seen my brother lose his temper in such a manner before"

He grinned "It was most entertaining to watch. I do believe he has met his match"

His match? She thought. Elizabeth held silent for a few moments; she was most certainly not his match she had decided.

"Yes, well your brother has a talent for irritation" she mumbled still half in thought.

Collin laughed once more.

"So, Mr Bridgerton" she smiled in the hopes to divert the subject away from his brother.

"Please Miss Priestly, I would like to think we can be friends. Call me Collin"

"Very well Collin" She teased. "But you must call me Lizzie for that is what my friends call me"

"How are enjoying the Ton, Lizzie?" he playfully asked.

"I have enjoyed the new people and the balls, but I rather miss my family's estate. Roth House has the best gardens and I do find myself missing the country air" She sighed reminiscing about her childhood home. "I suppose if I was not required to be here to find a husband, I would have never left for London and helped my brother and sister."

Roth House. She always laughed at the humbling decision to label her families estate a house, It always seemed a bizarre word to describe a house with surely fifty rooms, but its fanciful turrets and crenelations almost made it seem like something out of a fairy story, especially with late afternoons where the sun would give the yellow stone a reddish glow.

"You're a lot like Anthony, did you know that?" he smiled thoughtfully.

Elizabeth gasped. "Surely you jest"

He shook his head, a strange little smile on his face. "Perhaps it is that you both are fierce in defending the ones you care for. I have seen the way you are with The Duke and Lady Danbury; you may not be the eldest like him but act in a manner that I believe would make a person forget you are the youngest. Lord knows I'm thankful every day I was not born in Anthony's shoes"

"what do you mean?"

Colin sighed. "I simply wouldn't want his responsibilities, that is all. The title, the family, the fortune - it's a great deal to fit on one man's shoulders"

Elizabeth didn't particularly want to hear how well the viscount had assumed responsibilities of this title. she did not want to hear anything that might change her opinion of him, although she had confessed that she realises this could most certainly weigh on a man and his attitude.

"What has this to do with Roth House?" She inquired.

Colin stared at her blankly for a moment, as if he'd forgotten that the conversation had started with his enquiry about her time in London.

"Nothing I suppose" he finally said. "And everything as he has the same opinion about the country"

"But he spends all his time in London" Elizabeth said remembering her aunt mentioned as much. "Doesn't he?"

"I know" Colin shrugged. "Odd, isn't it?"

The sound of the music soon faded into silence as the pair finished their dance. "I am to get myself a refreshment, would like one?" he asked.

She nodded as he disappeared into the crowd leaving her to stand at the fringes of the ballroom to wait for his return. And after some time he did not return, and she concluded that he had been distracted. The heat of the room filled up, she felt herself needing some air so ventured to the open doors that lead onto the terrace that overlooked Lady Trowbridge's garden.

With fan in hand, she pondered why Colin had provided such personal opinions of his brother. And before she could respond a cough behind her pulled her from this thought.

"Miss Priestly"

Elizabeth turned around to be faced with Lord Berbrooke who was currently sporting a purple bruise under his left eye. Nervously she looked around to make sure they were not alone on the Terrance, Simon had warned her to steer clear of the man. His reasoning he could not say but that Lord Berbrooke was no gentleman in the eyes of Simon and that was good enough reason to have caution.

"Lord Berbrooke" She nodded in disinterest.

"You look ravishing this evening, I noticed you the moment you entered the room" He slurred, clearly, he had indulged a little too much this evening.

She tried her best not to roll her eyes at the clint. "My lord, it is highly impertinent of you to speak to me in such ways without a chaperone" she hissed as she fanned herself. Was her corset too tight? Why did the air feel thick to her?

"Yes, but then I would not be able to speak so freely with you" he countered taking a step forward.

She took a step back to create distance.

"I urge you to go back inside sir"

He steps forward once more.

She backed until her back hit the stone wall that overlooked the garden.

"This is highly impertinent" she repeated as she tried to remember the self-defence Simon and her Brother had taught her just in case.

He took another step and was close enough that she could smell the overwhelming stench of sweat and alcohol.

Her hand shaped into a fist and her knuckles whitened.

"Miss Priestly! There you are, Your Aunt has been looking for you" Anthony Boomed as he strode over to the two.

Lord Berbrooke turned to face the Viscount in distaste.

"Lord Bridgerton"

"Lord Berbrooke" The men both stared at each other for a silent moment before Anthony spoke.

"My warning sir extends to Miss Priestly too. So I suggest if you do not wish to be punched by another Bridgerton I urge you to leave her alone" He hissed as his hands curled into firsts.

Anthony had not dared to look at Elizabeth in fear that one look at her fearful expression would be enough to make good on his promise to punch Berbrooke right now, scene or not.

With this Lord Berbrooke left the pair without a word, leaving them alone in the now considerably crisper air.

Elizabeth had released her breath at the sight of the man walking away, a breath she had not even realised she was holding. Upon hearing this Anthony finally turned fully to face her for the first time since coming to her aid.

"Lord Bridgerton" She quietly whispered holding her stomach and turning away from him as she felt her eyes sting. She would not cry over this and especially not in Infront of Anthony Bridgerton.

"Are you hurt?" he rushed to her side to hold her forearm in concern. The sentiment that had nearly made Elizabeth hold her breath again for a completely different reason.

Taking a deep breath, she gathered herself to turn to Anthony's concerned face.

"No, my Lord I am fine." She lied; she was not fine. If it was anyone else who had walked out into the terrace, they may have seen Lord Berbrooke's close proximity and come to a conclusion and sealing her fate to that odious man.

She looked up and step aside to create distance as a reflex to her thoughts and noticed a flash of hurt in Anthony's eyes before an angry scowl formed. "Why on earth did you think it was a good idea to come out here alone?" he demanded stepping closer to her again.

"I was feeling faint and needed some air, it is not a crime" I glared.

"You have no regard for your own reputation or your safety!"

"What's that supposed to mean—" her finger accusingly stabbed his chest in realisation.

"If anyone had seen you, or If I had not saved you—"

"Save me?!" She spat, her now hurt pride overwhelming her senses. "I can take care of myself lord Bridgerton, I don't need saving and especially from you"

Anthony shook his head in disbelief. She let out an unladylike snort as she leaned against the wall and crossed her arms. Elizabeth gave him a hateful demure glare only to realise his proximity to her.

Elizabeth felt immediately uneasy.

"Why must you plague my mind, Miss Priestley?" he thought out loud. He planted one hand against the wall, rather close to her face, and leaned forward. Elizabeth suddenly felt trapped, even though it would be easy to dart away.

With a touch of dismay- and a shiver of excitement- she realised that she felt trapped by his eyes, which were burning rather dark and hot into hers.

"I uh- I do not understand you my Lord" she asked, not realising that she was whispering until she heard her voice, breathy and crackling like the night wind. There was a moment of silence.

He cocked his head slightly to the side as his eyes registered every aspect of her face. "Are you sure you are quite okay?"

She nodded. Or at least she thought she nodded. She meant to nod. In all truth, she wasn't entirely convinced of her ability to move.

He leaned forward, not so much that she could feel his breath, but close enough to make her shiver. "You danced with my brother" he noted

Her lips parted.

"I could not" – he moved closer- "bare to see you"- and another inch "dance with another gentleman"

Elizabeth swallowed convulsively. She had not expected him to say such things. She licked her lips preparing to question him, but no sound emerged.

She let a small breath escape her lips. "My lord?" she was able to blurt out.

And then, with an abruptness that left her head spinning, he pushed off the wall as if her words sobered him from his trance. Elizabeth remained silent staring at him with a confused look, she was not quite sure what had just happened. Did Anthony mean what he said? Or was this what all Rake's do?

He let out a frustrated breath, annoyed with himself for his actions as an awkward silence fell between the two. Elizabeth did not dare speak as she tried to understand what the viscount meant.

He could not stand the silence any longer. "You could at least say thank you" He snapped.

"Excuse me?"

"Did no one teach you manners, Miss Priestly?" He argued.

Her head hurt from the whiplash of emotions she had received from him. "I was thankful until you insulted my intelligence" She hissed.

"If I had not come to your aid, your reputation would be in ruin. Lady Whistledown would have a field day" He bitterly laughed.

"Not everyone cares for reputation Lord Bridgerton"

"You are a fool if you think any man will overlook reputation" he pleaded

Elizabeth curled her fists. "A fool?!" He nodded

And before Anthony could respond Elizabeth had slammed her foot down onto his hard before returning back to the ballroom.

And as tears threatened to fall from her face in anger, she did not dare look back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

145K 4.4K 35
[Draft 1 of Lady Whistledown's Unpublished Papers] Dear Reader, "Egredere Audacter Et Fideliter "~ Go Out Boldly and Faithfully, is the Vincent famil...
227K 5.6K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
39.5K 1.6K 28
หห‹ยฐโ€ข*โ€โžท๐‘ซ๐‘จ๐’€๐‘ณ๐‘ฐ๐‘ฎ๐‘ฏ๐‘ปโญ‘.เณƒเฟ *๏ฝฅ๏พŸ๏พŸ๏ฝฅ:.๏ฝก..๏ฝก.:๏พŸ::โœผโœฟ - โœฟโœผ:๏พŸ:.๏ฝก..๏ฝก.:๏ฝฅ๏พŸ๏พŸ๏ฝฅ* ๐’๐ˆ๐Œ๐Ž๐ ๐๐€๐’๐’๐„๐“, the irresistible Duke of Hastings, has hatched a plan to...
108K 2.1K 35
Eleanora Fitzwilliam had known Anthony Bridgerton since they were both merely three and ten years of age. Eleanora's unexpected marriage to another m...