The Run ©2014 Sydney Wray

By sydneywrayy

"Who the hell are you?" A boy demanded. He had tousled, chestnut hair. His green eyes were wide with confusio... More

The Run
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Saving Elliot
Revision
Sequel?
Cover Contest!
Exciting Things!! READ!!
Huge News!!

Chapter 42

41.2K 1.5K 233
By sydneywrayy

Three more days, I said to myself. Only three more days until I finish the dreadful years of high school, and off to college. I still haven't decided what school I'd be attending.

"Ms. Garland? The answer please?" Mr. Buchanan called from the front of the room, raising his eyebrows.

"Um," I stuttered, returning from my daydream state and glancing at my notes, "The Industrial Revolution?"

"Ms. Garland, we are finishing up the chapter of World War II, not the Industrial Revolution." He sighed. "I know you've all finished your SAT's and finals, but we have to finish reading this chapter-"

Binggg! The bell sounded.

Rusting of papers, and scratching chairs filled the room as students hurried out of the classroom. Currently, I had no friends at Groveman High. Mandy wasn't an option, and I was ignoring Alex to the best of my ability. I could survive three more days without a walking buddy in the hallways.

When I reached lunch, I glanced around the crowded cafeteria for a place to sit. Feeling slightly like the new kid, I just decided to eat outside.

Sitting down on one of the vacant picnic table, I bit into an apple Lucy had packed me.

"Lindsey."

Recognizing the voice, I snatched my brown paper bag and started to stand, when Alex put a hand on my arm.

"Please," he pleaded with his eyes, "Let me explain."

"I'm not in the mood to deal with you right now." I answered nonchalantly, glaring.

"Five minutes. Just give me five minutes, and if you still don't want to associate with me, I won't talk to you ever again." Alex reasoned, his eyes wide.

I contemplated this, and slowly lowered myself to the bench. "Five minutes."

He nodded, sitting across from me and pressing his lips together. "I'll start from the beginning."

I didn't reply, and watched him continue.

"As you know, I'm not very close with my dad or his relatives. One of his brothers was just arrested and put in prison-"

"Walter?" I interrupted, wincing. This man was in prison, and he even found a way to ruin my adoption.

Alex looked taken back. "Yeah.. How do you know him anyway?"

"Doesn't matter." I said dismissively.

He shook his head. "Well anyway, Uncle Walter knows I live in Chicago, and for some reason he knows you and your whereabouts."

I clenched my jaw. Hellen must've told him by accident.

"So," he paused, looking guilty, "He promised me that if I ruined your adoption, he'd help my dad's and I relationship."

"This still doesn't make sense," I shook my head, "So, when you first met me that day in the hallway.."

"When you told me your name, I knew who you were-yes." He finished.

My breathing increased with sadness. "So you pretended to be friends with me, get me to invite you to my house, and than complain false complaints about my family to the police?"

Alex averted his eyes. "Yes, in the beginning. But as I became to know you-I really started to care about you, Lindsey. You're the one good friend I've had in a long time."

"Maybe because you do twisted stuff like this." I hissed, not feeling bad at all.

"I felt really bad about telling the police those things. I almost didn't, but that day my dad was yelling at me and insulting me. I remembered why I had agreed to Uncle Walter's deal in the first place, and it just happened." He tried to reason, scratching his head with a look of pure sorrow and regret plastered onto his face.

I stood up from the table with my bag in my hand. "Your five minutes are up."

~~~~~~~~

"Ready?" Lucy grinned, glancing at the hairstylist standing next to me.

I nodded, smiling. Suddenly, the chair was spun and I found myself staring at a beautiful reflection. My hair, only curled because of my graduation hat I would soon be wearing, was spun perfectly. My makeup was truly done by an expert, and Mariella giggled beside me.

"You look so good!"

I smiled at her. "Not as good as you."

She wore a sheer, pink dress which was fluffy and stuck out. Her hair was done by Lucy herself, and the light pink bow I had given her in The Foster house was clipped on the side.

"Now, we just have the dress left." Lucy clapped her hands together. "I'm so excited!"

I smiled. "Me too." Not exactly. I was graduating without friends, and without a definite plan for my future. I was hoping Nathaniel was included, but I didn't know where our relationship was at the moment. Every time I think of him, his pained expression enters my mind before he confessed his love for me. But the worst, was when he ignored the fact that I hadn't returned the one sentence everyone hopes for. I couldn't be hurt; I refused to be hurt.

Lucy drived us home, and pulled out my sleek dress in plastic. When I had picked it out, I hadn't expected it to look so good on. As vanity-stricken as that sounds, I didn't think a dress as simple as a white one would look.

Lucy gasped, and stood from my bed as I exited my bathroom. "That dress is beautiful!"

"I love it."

Lucy's smile faded, and patted the bed. "Come sit, honey."

I did, folding my hands in my lap.

"Are you okay?" She asked, raising a perfectly arched, waxed eyebrow.

"I'm fine." I lied.

"Lindsey," she sighed, cocking her head, "I can see right through you."

I dropped my forced smile, frowning. "I miss them."

Lucy nodded. "I thought so. But you can see them next year, right?"

I inwardly sighed. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Come on, hon. We can't be late to your graduation, and your speech."

~~~~~~~~

"Harry Truman!" The headmaster announced, shaking Harry's hand and licking his fingers for the next diploma.

I moved up in the line, readjusting my black cap and waving a hand in my face. Weeks before, we were given the caps and told to personalize it. I plainly wrote, 'Just Keep Swimming,' with the small, familiar blue fish. I couldn't think of anything in particular. What I was intensely nervous about, was my speech. One morning, when the bell had rung and I was rustling papers frantically, my English teacher, Mrs. Ross, gently stopped me.

"Your a wonderful writer, Lindsey." I remembered her saying, smiling. "And I'd like to offer you the honor of representing our Senior Class.

"Isn't that what Valedictorian is for?" I dumbly asked, tucking an escaped strand of hair behind my ear.

"Yes, but I've specially requested to have an assistant speaker."

I bit my lip. "What do I write about?"

She waved a nonchalant hand. "Life experiences. How certain events have prepared you for the moment of graduation, and your future. I understand, however, if you'd like to decline this.."

"I'd love to." I finished for her, half-smiling. How hard could it be?

I stepped up to the front of the line, smiling at the principle.

"Lindsey Garland."

Loud cheering erupted form the left of the stands, along with light, polite clapping from surrounding families. I shortly laughed at my family's excitement, and stepped up to be outstretched hand.

I shook it, and grabbed my diploma. Pausing in front of the podium for snapping pictures, I ambled back to my chair.

A few words were distributed from teachers, a humorous story from a student, and finally, my name was called.

I breathed, trying to calm my rapid heartbeat. Although I've always been quite well at public speaking, it doesn't solve the impending nerves.

Once I was behind the podium, my entire class sat in front of me, holding blank stares. When I had first came to Groveman High, I didn't want anyone to find out about my Foster secret. Now, I felt it was imperative.

I looked over the crowd, half-smiling and leaning into the microphone.

"When I was five, people called Social Workers entered my life. They were friendly enough, but it never made sense to me. That thought soon changed," I glanced at my scribbled paper, "Over a year later, I was put into The Foster System. Scary, unfamiliar homes were among some of them. Only one became my temporary and main household during the years of adolescence, in to what I am now."

I spotted Alex in the second row, a surprised and attentive look on his face.

"I must assume most of you were raised within a loving environment, along perfect schooling and acceptance." I paused, shrugging, "I didn't have that. I realized too late that The Foster System had a control over my life, which led me to an issue of bottling my emotions." Some people murmured to one another with sad looks, accenting perfectly with my next line.

"Now," I said, with a tone of humor. "Before most of you interrupt this sad speech to give me a hug of reassurance, I have to stop you." Low laughing was distributed.

"Because of my life experiences, I have to believe that those years of the Foster environment has built me into the women that is standing in front of you today. I was soon adopted over five months ago, and living with a family that I never would have even dreamed of having. I am graduating with a excellent grades, and a positive outlook on what my future holds. So, as my cap does say, " I grinned, "Just keep swimming. And please, don't give up when things get hard. Because I assure you, they will. But one thing that's definite," I said, wrapping it up, "Whether your short," I paused, pointing a finger at myself, and earning laughter, "Or tall, we are all capable of striving to the best of our ability."

Loud clapping, and cheering erupted from the stands and chairs of students. I smiled for real that night.

~~~~~~~~

David slid a pice of vanilla cake not my plate, chuckling at something Lucy had said. "Well, I thought it was very well done! Really, Lindsey. You're a great writer."

I plopped a piece of cake into my mouth. "Thanks."

"You looked good up there, Lindsey." Mariella said, raising her eyebrows mischievously, "Boys were looking at you."

I laughed immediately, watching the expressions of Lucy and David. They couldn't contain their laughter as well, as they sat at the kitchen table.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" Lucy suddenly said.

"What?" I looked at her.

"I left something in your room," Lucy went to stand, but I stopped her.

"No, I'll get it. Where'd you leave it?" I asked, standing up and putting down my fork.

"On the stool, in your closet." She instructed.

I nodded, and jogged to the staircase. Once upstairs, I opened my white doors and stepped inside. I glanced around, and finally spotted a small bag on the stool. I reached for it, peeking inside.

"Don't snoop." A voice came from behind me.

I jumped, dropping the bag and whipping around.

But Lavender stood there, grinning, "This closet is bigger than my house."

I squeeled, rushing forward and grabbing her in an embrace. "I can't believe your here!"

"I know!" She said, laughing.

A tap came on my shoulder, and I turned around. Nathaniel stood there, grinning and trying not to spew laughter.

"Nate!" I yelled, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

Nathaniel kissed my forehead, and I stepped back. "Have you guys just been hiding in my closet?"

"For two hours, yes." Nathaniel shook his head. "It was excruciating being trapped with this one." He pointed to Lavender.

"Mmhm," she looked at me, "Your lucky I was here. I had to stop him from looking in certain drawers."

I laughed, swatting Nathaniel and eyeing my bra drawer which was open a crack. "Oh really?"

He faked a sputter. "Lies!"

"I'm assuming you've found them, judging by the squealing?" Lucy stepped into the room, smiling.

I crossed the room to hug her, and mumbled into her shoulder, "Thank you, for everything."

She rubbed my back. "Of course, Lindsey. Of course."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 1.3K 72
"I..." "Stop it!" he shouts, stopping me in mid sentence "I hate you." "B-But why? Why do you hate me?" "Oh! You know the reason." "If I would've...
339K 9.4K 83
"How many romance books do you read?" Devin asks me. I shrug. "I like them," I say. I keep browsing, running my fingers along the spines. "...
200K 3.9K 25
*MATURE CONTENT* A Little Insight: As I walked to my wardrobe, he stood up and began taking slow, sinister steps towards me with his claws extracted...
213K 8.4K 45
"𝐍𝗼 𝗼𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝗼 𝐲𝗼𝐮 𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝗼𝗼𝐝 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥, 𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐚. 𝐒𝐭𝗼𝐩 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝗼𝐮 𝐝𝗼...