TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

By lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... More

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 27

5.8K 194 21
By lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 27

Georgia

I know I'm not a spring chicken anymore but I'm not ready to pick out a nursing home either. I'm an active adult a little past my prime but I'm in good shape. I walk every day around our property, I garden and swim. I watch the great grand babies that are coming now just as I took care of my own kids and grandkids. If Maddie would just tell her bun in the oven to get a move on I'll have another one to care for.

I'm not going to go down without a fight. No way. I do everything I can to take care of myself and everyone else in the family. It's what I do and will keep doing until Blake determines I'm no longer capable then I'll do it anyway. I'll show them who's inept.

I was once a beautiful woman. I had every luxury I could ask for, I still do but that doesn't mean I'm careless with my money or my body. My looks have changed over the years. My jet black hair that Blake and Aiden, Hunter and Derrick inherited has changed to white. Oh, I colored it for many years but finally allowed it to go natural.

My eyes are the same emerald green as I passed down to mine. There's crows feet now from years at the beach and squinting in the sun. The lines on my face are deep from smiling and laughing as I enjoyed my life. I earned every line and enjoyed every wrinkle.

I've passed down plenty that will remind my family of me. From looks to humor, from leadership to involvement with my family and the community. I've got a legacy that I've carefully made to pass down to my family to carry on. I intend to make it the best possible legacy we can do.

The first item in my list when I escape the hospital is to deal with my oldest son. He's made a mess of things that I know from what Blake has said and what he hasn't. I'm a smart business woman and I don't do anything without a backup plan. Because of that, I've got plenty set aside in case of an emergency situation. And I have every intention of putting what is needed back into the company to right Adam's wrong doing. And then I plan to retire.

It's time to pass the torch

Not seeing Adam's errors for too long has made me think hard about this. It's time I hand over the keys to the next generation to lead Bradford Engineering into the next decade and beyond. I was talking out of experience to Aiden earlier when I said not to take time for granted. I've done this and I'll be damn, if I do it again.

I found the love of my life again. And what a great accomplishment that was. Jim has brought me so much love and so many years of lovely memories. I'm so thankful for him and everyday I have with him . But I know my days are getting fewer and fewer as are his.

Life doesn't last forever so I've made the most of every second. I know I push myself and my family. I nudge them to go for what will make them happy. I remind them that nothing will be handed to them and everything worth anything is worth fighting for. I tell each of mine to treat people the way you want to be treated. Money and privilege doesn't mean we're better than anyone else. We just have to work that much harder to prove ourselves.

Everything I've done, everything I've experienced has led to today. In the hospital and awaiting surgery, the only thing I can do is think about what I want for the time I have left. Contemplating my life and determining if I've done enough for my family to be proud of who I was to each one. Not just proud of me but where they came from and who they are. I've done my best, the rest is up to them.

Laying here with my eyes closed I feel a hand wrap around mine and feel a soft cheek then something wet that I can only decipher as a tear. Listening to see if I want to give up my interesting listening spot or continue to fake sleeping I learn who is in the room with me.

"What are the odds of her beating this?" My sweet Blake hasn't stopped trying to get me the best medical care. The best doctors have been flown in for this surgery all last minute because Blake wouldn't have anything less.

"Blake, they won't know until they get in there." Her deep sigh shows her frustration. "Georgia needs to do as she's told, first and foremost. If it's not cancerous her odds are good for getting through this with minimal problems. She will most likely have some forgetfulness no matter what happens. That's just going to come with age. The pain should be gone almost instantly. The dizziness should be the same. Georgia isn't young, so bouncing back will take time. Everyone needs patience." Grace is fortunately straight to the point, good or bad. I appreciate that about her.

"What about brain damage? Is there any chance that she'll have any permanent damage?" I can hear his fear. My baby boy is so scared for me and I can't do anything to help him.

"Again we won't know until we get in there. Georgia has to follow her doctor's orders. She's getting the best care possible, Blake. All we can do now is pray." Grace comes closer to the bed and checks the drip, the vital scanner and makes her notes. "Emma and you have another ten minutes then you clear out so she can rest."

"Grace, she's asleep now." Emma replies but Grace laughs.

"Okay," Feeling a tap on my arm, I know the gig is up. "Georgia, I know you're awake, you have ten minutes to visit then I kick them out." She's smart as a whip our Grace.

Opening my eyes I see Emma's mouth open and Blake shaking his head at me. "I deserve to know what my outcome is too. You, my boy, weren't going to tell me."

"No, because I don't want you upset, Ma. I'm taking care of everything for you, including Adam. I just want you to focus on getting better." Blake has already taken the reins out of my hands. He'll lead the family well when I'm gone.

"Well, then I want a party, Grace. With strippers this time. We'll just tell Jim it's therapeutic for my recovery." Grace gives me a grin and a wink as she opens the door.

"I'll see what I can do. I suppose you want them dressed like doctors too?" Oh, I do love her. She plays this game well. I'm sure there's a number of dirty old men that come through here who adore our Grace.

"That would be wonderful and handsome, not too young. I might embarrass the kids if they see me as a cougar." Emma and Grace laugh while my sweet Blake actually blushes. "Why are you turning red? I was not the one who posed naked with only a helmet to cover my assets and then wonder why I was attacked by fans everywhere I went."

"It was a modeling spread!" Blake countered. "And you bought out the supply of magazines in one of the stores and asked me to autograph them."

"I was giving them out to your fan club." I explained. "Besides, a mother has a right to support her children. I'm proud of you, baby. You worked hard on getting to the top. I was so proud of you when you played ball. I still am. You've turned into an amazing man, father and son."

"I know, Ma." Blake kisses my forehead as I've seen him do for many years to Emma. "I'm pretty proud of you too. Grace says you need rest. You need to rest. You heard what she said about doing as you're told."

"Hmph." Looking around Blake at Grace I'm not sure she understands that I do what I want not as I'm told. I stopped doing that a very long time ago. "I'll tell you what, I'll do as I'm told if you tell us what you're holding back, Grace. I know you know something you aren't telling us. Spit it out, honey."

Grace lets the door close again and comes to the foot of the bed. She's a tremendous nurse, a wonderful wife and mother and an even better friend. I know she's limited in what she can say to patients and I know she's in a tough spot making sure she can be here for me. I also know she has information that she can tell the family but is hesitant to tell me. That's not going to fly with me.

"I might have turned over my power of attorney to Blake but that doesn't mean I've tossed in the towel." I press further knowing that Grace will tell me.

"No matter what happens, Georgia, even with a full recovery you shouldn't be in charge of BE. With everything that's happening with Adam... someone else needs to be watching over the business now." Grace looks like she's preparing for me to fight this bit of news.

I had no intention of going back to head the company. I've realized that I have made an error of trying to manage my health and oversee the business. I've got plans in place for when I'm gone it just looks like I'll be implementing it sooner than expected.

"He already is. Blake, I know you've got your hands full with the football camps and what not but my thought is this. Cade heads the east coast branch, you head the west and Beckett takes the south. Emma's got Drake Construction in hand fine, Bri has been doing a wonderful job, as has Kincade. Matt has the management with Chelsea and Hunter will joining us shortly and I image the other kids will come on board as they graduate. It's time I turn over the reins and retire." I know there's sadness in my eyes. I've worked hard to build the empire I have but I look forward to spending more time traveling and seeing my family that has spread out coast to coast.

Grace touches my leg and nods. "We're all here for you."

"Don't I know it! But I don't plan on being stuck down for too long. That's not me, honey. You know that." I've never let moss grow on me. I don't plan on letting it happen now.

"You will until you're cleared by your doctor. You let us take care of you for a change. You and Jim deserve a little down time." Emma reminds me of her mama, my best friend in the world.

We don't see each other like we did when Jim and I lived here on the coast. I do miss the ocean and our family days on the beach. We had our own private beach in the cove just steps away from the big house. So many memories there.

So many memories of my family here. They're always with me. No matter which house we're in, here in California or Texas or New York. I've pictures and memories everywhere. We've grown beyond the walls of my mansion by the sea and my big kitchen table that we gathered around.

I miss being able to be like that with my family. Oh, we've long outgrown the table and I was forced to buy a custom made one to fit all of us. Not that we all gather at the same place much anymore but I guess they will when I'm gone. That's how this family is and I see Grace as a leader now, Emma too. My darling Hunter, and sweet Aiden and all my boys and girls that are mine.

My mortality isn't a question. My time on this earth is counting down. I'm aware of it, just as I'm aware I'm not ready yet. I've got some plans yet. Top of that list is to make sure my oldest boy is on track again and my Aiden and Riley are on theirs.

No, I know I'm not going to be like I was but I'm not done fighting for life just yet.

Aiden

I was looking for a quiet place. Somewhere close by but I needed some time to myself. Grandma has a way of making me think about what she says. She doesn't push her point as much as she spells out what's in front of me and what my choices are. I can honestly say nine times out of ten she's been right on the money of what I need to do.

Hunter and the girls took Riley with them. To give her a break as well as give me a chance to think. Hunter, out of everyone, knows how hard this has been on me. She's like a sister to me, the closest thing to one I have. If I had my choice of a family to be in, it would be hers.

I love my mom and I do love my dad despite the differences we've had since high school but Blake and Emma, Hunter and the twins, that's where I feel like I fit. They accept me, not that the rest of the family doesn't, but without question, I know they do.

Maybe Dad knows how I feel and this is his way of dealing with me.

My dad doesn't understand me and mom has seemed to slip away from me since I started college. I know they love me in their own way and I love them but they don't listen to me anymore. Maybe that's my fault, I stopped trying to make my point clear.

I've stopped trying with a lot of things. I know I'm not around enough for Grandma. I don't tell my family that I love them enough. I don't help out like I should. There's a lot of regrets I'm beginning to feel.

I don't want to regret not being there for them. I don't want to regret not telling them how I feel. I don't want those regrets. So I searched for a quiet spot to think.

I found my quiet spot. Probably in the last place anyone would think to look for me. The hospital chapel is empty, dimly lit with candles and those dimming lights along the ceiling. Walking up the center aisle, I take a seat near the front and look at the altar.

How many years has it been since I was inside a place of worship? Bri and Kincade's wedding maybe? That was four, no, five years ago. It was a really nice wedding too. Lance and Tess had to join the church for Bri to use it. Because of that they've gone pretty regularly. So does Grandma and Jim.

I can say my coming into here probably wasn't my best move. I'm here though and I'm thinking a couple prayers aren't going to hurt me or burn the place down just because of my sinning record.

Lacing my fingers through each other I close my eyes and rest my forehead to my hands. This is the right way to pray, right? "Hi, uh... it's Aiden, Aiden Bradford. I know it's been... Well, I don't really remember how long since I actually prayed for anything. I know I'm way behind on confessing my sins. I doubt either one of us has enough time for that now. We might want to try that on an installment plan."

I feel like an idiot here talking to myself and hoping that by some miracle what I'm asking for will be heard, granted. I don't know how to do this. How do I ask the big guy to save my Grandma's life? I need her here. There's just too much I want her to stick around for.

"I guess you already know Grandma's here in the hospital. Just like I guess you know why she's here. I know we're all given so much time before our time's up but here's the thing, she's not done here yet. There's stuff she still wants to do and things she's gonna want to see. Things I want her to see. You can't have her yet! You just can't! I still need her and you can't take her away yet!" I didn't realize I was yelling until the silence of the room made my ears ring.

Wiping at my wet eyes, I settle myself down and swallow hard. This is harder than I thought it would be. But I'm not willing to let the bravest, smartest woman in my life go without a fight. If I have to beg, if I have to make a deal for her life, I will.

"She wants me to marry Riley. I'm not ready for that. I care about Riley a lot and yeah maybe one day we'll get there. I mean if I had to decide today who I want to spend my life with it would absolutely be Riley. She's awesome. Riley has another year of school still and I'm going to the draft this year. I just don't know if I'm ready for her yet. I don't want to hurt her and lose her because I do something stupid. I don't want to lose her." I look at my hands and work that thought through my head.

"I'd like to give you some advice, Aiden. If you don't mind taking some experience from an old man." The voice startled me and I sat up straight.

"God?" I didn't know he actually responded.

The chuckle from behind me had me spinning around to see Jim walking slowly up the aisle joining me at the front pew. Sitting heavily on the bench he sighs and looks around.

"I was in the back row praying for Georgie. I saw you come in but I thought you needed time to yourself first. Then I heard your prayer and I thought you might want a little advice on your situation." Jim looks older than I remember him from hours ago. Drained, tired and the worry has taken its toll.

"Yeah I, sorry about going off there. It's been a while since I prayed for anything. I can't lose her." I explain opening my hands and shrugging helplessly.

Tilting his head, Jim asks an easy question."Which one are you afraid of losing?"

"Both."

He nods, leaning back and getting comfortable in his seat. "Let me tell you a story about your Grandmother. Let me tell you how I met her."

"Georgina Mills Bradford is the strongest woman I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. We were in school back then, she was new and Georgie was the subject of all talk through that first day. I didn't meet her right away but I heard about her before I saw her.

"The little pixie pistol she was called. She's always been a tiny thing but you better believe me when I tell you dynamite comes in small packages. Her hair was just as black as your own, and those bright green eyes that reminded me of a cat's. She had a fight in the cafeteria with the head cheerleader effectively putting the girl in her place.

"She had half the school trying to be her friend before lunch was over. The other half wanted to ask her out. I had my job cut out for me if I wanted her to give me two looks. Mike Bradford, he was a big man on campus back then and he and I didn't exactly roll with the same crowd. He was a jock and I was a bookworm. I never dreamed that I would have a chance with a girl like her."

"But you did, right?" I interrupted his story. "Grandma said she fell for you right away and it was her dad that got in your way."

"I wouldn't know that until much, much later. I was assigned to help her catch up with our algebra class. We agreed to study at the main library and not at either of our homes. I was fine with that being as I wasn't a rich guy back then and I was a bit embarrassed about it. Well, we met every day for two weeks after school and the girl was smarter than I was. In the end, she ended up tutoring me. I have to admit I didn't mind. It gave me an excuse to have her to myself for an hour every day.

"Slowly, we grew to be friends and then one day, in the middle of polynomials, she kissed me. It was the best kiss I've ever had. Made my stomach feel funny and my heart pound, my head spun and my toes curled. You know that feeling, right?"

Honestly, I hadn't felt that way with anyone but Riley. When I kiss her it's like nothing else. I'm nervous and excited, shaking and hot all over. I don't want it to end and when it does I'm breathless and just want to do it again.

My mouth curves into a lopsided smile, with a way off look in my eyes. "Yeah, I know it."

"Mmm. It was always like that with her, no one else. I finally got my shot to take her on a date. I saved and saved before I had enough for this fancy place that overlooked the ocean. I was so damn nervous I couldn't eat a thing all day long so when we sat down I was starving. Not having the same manners as she did when I looked at the menu the first words out of my mouth were that I could eat the asshole out of a skunk. Of course, the look on her pretty face told me that I shouldn't have said it. But my Georgie, she burst out laughing and said she felt the same way. After that, I knew she was it for me."

I laughed because Grandma always tolerated our less than proper mouths better than most. She said she preferred the honest words to lying manners. I never understood what that meant until now.

"So it was love from the beginning? She didn't love Grandpa?" I often wondered why she married a man like him. They were completely different.

"I know she tried to make the best of the situation but Mike was a hard man. He wanted most of what he didn't have a right to have and took the rest. I can't say there's much kind words I can say about him." Jim cleared his throat and shook his head. "No, I am sorry about that."

He doesn't need to apologize to me. I know who my grandfather is. "Not your fault. He earned his reputation."

"That he did." Jim agrees. "He liked to taunt me. Tell me Georgie was his, that it was just a matter of time. He'd never do it in front of her though. Always when she wasn't around."

"Why would her dad make her marry someone like that? Why didn't he just want her to be happy?" I don't understand people like that. It's not how I grew up. Not what I learned from Blake and Emma or Grandma.

"It was about money and control." Jim looks disgusted by the thought.  "When I got told I couldn't see her again, it broke my heart. Now that didn't come from Georgie but her daddy came over to my house to speak with me. I thought I'd gotten her pregnant the way he went on. Then he got to the point that I was below the Mills family name. Love wasn't going to pay the bills. If I really love her then I should give Georgia her best shot at a good life with Mike Bradford. He made it sound like Bradford was the best choice for her.

"At the time I couldn't argue with him when everything he had said was right. I couldn't put a roof over her head or pay the bills to support her lifestyle. Georgie had traveled the world at a very young age and I hadn't even been out of the state. I wasn't sure he was wrong until he left. That's when I saw he left a check on the mantle. To buy my time I wasted on Georgie. I was furious he thought so little of her.

"I went to the big mansion on the hill to reason, man to man with him, that I was what she wanted. Only he had me kicked out and threatened to arrest me. Said that I was just a grifter looking to make it into an easy life. That I was just using Georgie and he saw right through me. It was better for her to marry in her class and I need to stay away if I really wanted what was best for her. I didn't know that Georgie was listening to the entire thing. I thought I was just making her life at home harder. I thought I was doing what was right for her after that and tried to break it off but Georgie confronted me. Oh, she was mad. You're Grandma has quite the temper."

"Yeah, she does. Guess that's where all of us got it." Jim nods knowing Grandma was as much of a hot head as her kids.

"We made a plan, see? We were going to run away together but the night we were supposed to meet she didn't show. I didn't learn until later that her father locked her in her room and left for Europe with her and the Bradford's for the holiday. I was to graduate early since my dad needed help and I had enough credit hours. I didn't go back to school in the spring. I left just like she did with it all open ended. His heavy sigh cleared his memory away. "I didn't see her again until my Breyden and Laney got together." Sitting back I looked at the man who I considered my granddad and listened to his words, felt the emotion in his voice and felt the pain he did when he thought he lost her.

"I know she considers you the love of her life." Of that I have no doubt.

Jim nods. "And she's mine. My point is, Aiden, we never know what life is going to throw at us, or when. We can only plan on what we have right now and make the best choices we can. If I could go back knowing what I know now, I would have fought for her sooner. I would have made sure I got her out of that house. Money has never been a driving force for her. For her, the greatest wealth is love and her family is everything that means anything to her."

It occurs to me then that Grandma's life wasn't as easy as I thought or as she made it seem. I guess she didn't want to dwell on the past and what couldn't be changed. She has always made a point of making all our lives the best possible. Our choices were ours to make, be that school, careers, or love. She only wants us to be happy.

Money was never a factor.

"Riley doesn't care about money. She argues with me over who pays for the damn popcorn." I mutter still thinking about Grandma and Jim's story.

"I'd say she's a keeper, kiddo. But that's from an old man who's seen more people who think money can make them happy than those who don't give a rat's ass." He stands up and hesitates before walking out. "Aiden, if Riley is the one who makes your stomach feel funny and you get excited to see. If her kiss sends you over the moon, don't think you can wait for a perfect time to be with her. There's no such thing as a perfect time. We can only play the hand we get. I'm gonna go sit with my bride and watch her sleep. I'm hoping she'll be home soon. Then I can do some of that sleeping  with her next to me."

Patting my shoulder he headed out. "You should get some rest, Aiden. Georgie isn't going anywhere for a long time."

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.4K 2K 33
Paradise awaits or so they thought. When the Bradford's boarded the plane for their tropical paradise they assumed the next two months would be all f...
2M 58.5K 77
Emma's life takes an exciting turn when she moves back to her hometown. Certain circumstances cause her to run into the schools most notorious footba...
293K 8.2K 24
Kingston Series #1 THE FIRST BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SERIES! Tanner has his entire life planned out. He has a full ride football scholarship as the st...
42.4K 620 7
~ Don't ever let someone's skewed perceptions of you undermine your own self worth ~ Beckett Eldren is the outcast of the Bradford family. As the il...