Lost Memories

By puragringa

𝙊𝙧𝙞𝙜𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙈𝙖𝙜𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙡 𝙈𝙪𝙜𝙜𝙡𝙚 (𝙍𝙀-𝙒𝙍𝙄𝙏𝙏𝙀𝙉) ~ Muggles and Hogwarts don't mix. It's... More

forward
- Before Hogwarts
i. the move
ii. books
- Goblet of Fire
iii. kings cross
iv. hogwarts
v. professors
vi. professor "moody"
vii. comfort food
viii. beauxbaton & durmstrang
ix. champions
x. friendships
xi. magic
xii. gryffindor balls
xiii. dragons
xiv. saving graces
xv. boys
xvi. missing people
xvii. information
xviii. water balloons
xx. loss
xxi. development
- Order of the Phoenix
xxii. question and answer
xxiii. screaming contest
xxiv. problems
xxv. promises
xxvi. favourite girl
xxvii. professor umbitch
xxviii. charm bracelet
xxix. bloodlines
xxx. quidditch
xxxi. hagrid
xxxii. kisses
xxxiii. the dream
xxxiv. horrible confrontation
xxxv. lillies
xxxvi. stood up
xxxvii. jinxed
xxxix. punishment
xl. chaos
xli. the prophecy
xlii. missed
xliii. decisions
- Half-Blood Prince
xliv. pissed off
xlv. draco malfoy
xlvi. switched professors
xlvii. new chaser
xlviii. jewellery
xlix. crushed
l. christmas
li. apparation
lii. tears and pain
liii. problems
liv. turn of events
lv. war
lvi. forever friends
- Deathly Hallows
lvii. lost soldier
lviii. outbursts
lix. bad to worse
lx. grimmauld place
lxi. back at the ministry
lxii. splinched
lxiii. broken friendship
lxiv. godric's hollows
lxv. accidental unforgivables
lxvi. the cloak, the stone, and the wand
lxvii. snatchers
lxviii. tortured
lxix. lestrange's vault
lxx. unexpected help
lxxi. teamwork
lxxii. officially lost
lxxiii. broken family
lxxiv. memories
lxxv. everything's gone
lxxvi. final battle
lxxvii. initium novum

xix. saviour

1.1K 63 24
By puragringa

As the week passed, Hermione and Ron practised the Impediment Jinx while I studied Herbology and Potions. Not being able to cast anything, every time Ron would try to include me in their practices, I would wave my fake wand and complain about not being powerful enough for hard jinxes. Lies after lies, Ron laughed commenting how I'm not good at everything while Hermione gave me a sad look, knowing it isn't my fault I can't practice.

"You know, it's all fun and games until you fail your Charms and Potions exam," I narrowed my eyes at Ron who laughed at my lack of charmwork.

"I s'pose you expect to pass by batting your eyes, yeah?" Ron shot.

"What does batting my eyes have to do with anything? I'm not fond of Charms, I rather create Potions and plant herbs and roots. There's nothing wrong with that," I seethed.

"I've never met a witch or wizard who isn't fond of Charms," said Ron very matter-of-factly.

"Well, open your eyes, Ronald, I'm right in front of you," I bowed in my seat.

Ron only scoffed at me and turned to Hermione, continuing to practice the jinx. Harry wasn't practising or studying with us because he was off preparing for his final task. Since he was a champion in the tournament, he didn't have to do any finals– lucky him.

After a few hours of studying, Harry came in with a load of books and a scowl on his face.

"Don't worry about it," Hermione said shortly when Harry pointed this out to us and said he didn't mind practising on his own for a while, "at least we'll get top marks in Defense Against the Dark Arts. We'd never have found out about all these hexes in class."

"Good training for when we're all Aurors," said Ron excitedly, attempting the Impediment Curse on a wasp that had buzzed into the room and making it stop dead in midair.

"Finally," I mused to Ron.

"What do you mean 'finally'? I've done it a few times!"

"Who said you'd done it?" I teased. My wand was still in my hands, making it look like I'd frozen the wasp in the air.

"Did not!" Ron's scarlet face knitted his brows in confusion.

Raising a brow to Hermione, her face broke out in a smirk, "No, Ron. She did. Watched her with my own eyes."

Harry had nothing to say being that his back was to me since he was talking to Hermione. The only one who was facing me was Hermione, so he lied to humble Ron.

"W-well, it was a matter of t-time that you finally got the jinx, Miss Doesn't Like Charms," Ron teased.

The mood in the castle as we entered June became excited and tense again. Everyone was looking forward to the third task, which would take place a week before the end of term. Harry was practising hexes at every available moment. He said he felt more confident about this task than either of the others. Professor Moody had warned Harry about how difficult and dangerous the last task would be. When Harry told us this, my blood chilled and my heart raced– fear hit me like a wave.

Tired of walking in on Harry, Hermione, Ron, and I all over the school, Professor McGonagall had given us permission to use the empty Transfiguration classroom at lunchtimes. Harry had soon mastered the Impediment Curse, a spell to slow down and obstruct attackers; the Reductor Curse, which would enable him to blast solid objects out of his way; and the Four-Point Spell, a useful discovery of Hermione's that would make his wand point due north, therefore enabling him to check whether he was going in the right direction within the maze. He was still having trouble with the Shield Charm, though. This was supposed to cast a temporary, invisible wall around himself that deflected minor curses; Hermione managed to shatter it with a well-placed Jelly-Legs Jinx, and Harry wobbled around the room for ten minutes afterwards before she had looked up the counter-jinx.

All of the talks about the last task had my anxiety at an all-time high. My mind mulled over the grim thoughts of the horrible possibilities that could occur during the task; especially the death of Cedric Diggory. Playing with my necklace, I decided to talk with someone who could possibly help. Excusing myself from the room, I left Harry, Ron, and Hermione to perfect the Shield Charm while I made my way to Dumbledore's Office.

"Cockroach Cluster," I muttered to the large Gargoyle statue.

The statue spun in its place, rising to reveal the serial stairway to Dumbledore's office. As usual, I knocked on the oak door and waited for a response from him. But instead of a response, someone opened the door.

"Oh, Mr Bagman," I jumped.

"Ah, you must be Harry Potter's friend, Charlotte Harring," his eyes crinkled with a smile.

"Uh, yessir," I nodded. Looking around him, I see Dumbeldore sitting at his desk. "I just wanted to talk with Professor Dumbledore, i-if you guys aren't busy."

"Nonsense, we were just talking about the upcoming task; but all is figured out. I must be on my way– many things to do, not enough time in the day," he smiled and walked out the door. But just before he left he turned to me and with a very low voice said, "tell your friend, Harry Potter, that if he needs any help with the maze, that he come find me."

But before I could say anything, Bagman winked at me and went down the stairs.

"Come in, Miss Harring," Dumbledore stood from his desk.

"I've told you, call me Lottie. It's okay," I laughed.

"Alright, then, Lottie. What can I help you with?" he sat in an armchair near the door.

Sitting in the chair across from him, I brought my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on my knees, "how did you know I need help?"

"I can see it in your face. Something is bothering you and it may be something you cannot control."

"It's about the last task. I– I think you should cancel it," I proposed. At this Dumbeldore leaned back into his chair, his eyes widening behind the half-moon shaped glasses. "I know what you're thinking, it's a few days away– two to be exact– but it's dangerous."

"Why do you say it's dangerous? It is perfectly safe, tested by myself– I know what'll be in there," he smiled lightly.

"The creatures won't kill them, but- but–" If I tell Dumbeldore the future, it may change the outcome of everything.

"Charlotte, I promise you, the maze is safe. As you've said, the creatures are there as an obstacle, only meant to test the champion's abilities."

"But, I don't want anyone to die," I breathed, tears filling my eyes.

"I know you worry for your friends– Mr Potter and Diggory– but they are very smart and strong wizards, perfectly capable of the impending tasks," Dumbledore hands me a tissue from his sleeve.

"It's not that, sir. The- the trophy in the m-middle isn't safe. Er— s-someone has messed with it and–"

"How can someone manipulate the trophy if it is here in my office?" Dumbledore waved over towards a glass cabinet with the large silver trophy.

"You're- you aren't understanding me, Professor! I-it's a portkey to. . . I forgot exactly where it goes– I k-keep forgetting things– but it's a cemetery a-and–" the words got stuck in my throat.

"A cemetery?" asks Dumbledore.

I nod, taking a deep breath, "the trophy is a portkey. The portkey goes to a cemetery. I-In the cemetery, Voldemort is waiting for H-Harry."

Dumbledore sat up straighter at the news of Voldemort. Although he's had instances in the past where he's believed Voldemort was back, my words seemed to only confirm his suspicions.

"But you've said that there are more parts to the series about Mr Potter; how is it he kills Potter–"

"It's not Harry that Voldemort kills," I sniffled, "it's Cedric. Cedric Diggory gets to the trophy first, but being the k-kind Hufflepuff he is, he makes an agreement that he and Harry touch the trophy together so they both win. B-but it was a ruse. S-Set by B-Bar— It can't go on, Professor. Please."

"Ah," Dumbledore nodded, "you want to save Mr Diggory."

"Yes."

"You can't."

"What? Why not?!" I stood up, in shock, at Dumbledore's words.

"This final task is the key to letting everyone know what Voldemort is indeed back. It is crucial you do not meddle in the timeline any more than you already have," he explained.

"T-Than I already have–? But– Are you saying I can't do anything?" I whispered.

"Precisely. I'm afraid not. The only thing you can do is accept the fate that is set—"

"No! No, I- I can't. I refuse," I shouted at him. Dumbledore didn't even blink at my outburst, completely accepting and expecting it. "I just thought— What is the point of me being here to 'change the future' if I can't save one of the people I care about? What am I supposed to fix? If Harry never goes to the cemetery, then Voldemort never gets the power and attention he needs to come back! He needs Harry t-to come back. There'll be nothing to announce if Voldemort doesn't come back."

"Charlotte, I'm sorry, but we don't know the outcome that will become if Harry does not go to the cemetery," Dumbledore hummed. "You will receive a sign, as I've told you in the past, that will let it be known when you are to intervene."

"I don't want my friends to die, Professor, please," I pleaded.

"You can only hope that your presence in our lives and this timeline is enough to change the future enough to save your friend," he reiterated my own thoughts.

To every god and goddess, I prayed, with everything in me, that I have changed the timeline enough to not lose him.

—:—

Once Ron, Hermione, and I left the Great Hall, after breakfast, we waited in the entrance hall for Harry to come out. Since today was the day of the final task, the champion's families came out to greet them before tonight's tournament.

"I wonder who'll meet Harry in there," questioned Ron.

"No way the Dursley would come to visit," Hermione sounded.

"What family does he have?" I asked them.

"Only family Harry has is Sirius, but doubt he'll come here."

"Any other family—?"

My question was cut short at a squeal coming out of the Great Hall, straight towards us.

"Mum?" Ron breathed in disbelief.

"I've come to see Harry!" Mrs Weasley grinned, grabbing her son and gave him a kiss hug and kiss.

A tall man, who resembled Ron in every way, was behind her. He wasn't. . . old, so I knew it wasn't Mr Weasley; it wasn't Percy, who I met during the Second Task as he had taken Mr Crouch's spot in the judges' table; and it wasn't Charlie, who helped bring and tame the dragons for the First Task. The guy staring at us was most likely Ron's eldest brother, Bill Weasley.

"Hello, Hermione," Mrs Weasley said shortly. Looking at me, her eyes slightly narrowed, "and you must be Charlotte Harring."

Although she smiled slightly, I knew she wasn't pleased with me. For a fact, I knew Mrs. Weasley read the Witch Weekly for her recipes. But nonetheless, I smiled at the ageing woman.

Harry looked between the three of us and then said, "Mrs Weasley, you didn't believe that rubbish Rita Skeeter wrote in Witch Weekly, did you? Because Hermione's not my girlfriend and neither is Lottie."

"Oh!" said Mrs Weasley. "No — of course, I didn't!"

"Yes, ma'am. It's a pleasure to meet you," I extended my hand out to her. Sighing softly, her smile grew a little bigger and she brought me into a hug.

"Shaking hands are for strangers, in this family we hug," she told me. Pulling away she gestured towards Bill, "this is my eldest son, Bill."

"Nice to meet you," I extended my hand again and, instead of hugging me, Bill did take my hand and shake it.

"Pleasure is all mine," he grinned.

Mrs Weasley and Bill continued to talk with Harry about the tournament, while Ron, Hermione, and I stood around waiting to give the tour Bill wanted. Walking out of the Great Hall, I saw Cedric and excused myself from the group.

Cedric wore his regular robes and stood next to a man and a smaller woman who looked just like him– probably his parents. His eyes met my own and he waved me over, even though I was already on my way to him.

"Charlotte!" Cedric beamed. The two adults looked over at me, looking me up and down. "Charlie, these are my parents. Mum, Dad, this is my... friend, Charlotte Harring."

Looking at the two adults, I gave them my brightest smile and extended my hand, "Hello Mr and Mrs Diggory. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

Mrs Diggory's face relaxed at my formality, "likewise, Charlotte. I see my son has taken a liking to you."

"Yes, ma'am. Cedric is very nice and helps me out with class assignments and such. A gentleman nonetheless," I nodded to her.

My words made her smile even larger and looked over to her husband, "she's so perfect. I love her mannerism."

"Cedric has told us so much about you in his owls," Mr Diggory stated.

Cedric placed his hand on the small of my back, almost reassuring me. My smile widened as my cheeks reddened and gave a little laugh.

"All good things, I suppose," looking up at him.

"Of course, nothing bad to say," Cedric chuckled.

"Although the papers do," his voice grew cold. That explains the reason why the previously kind man spoke curtly with me.

"Mr Diggory," I started, "I assure you that I am not the kind of girl the papers say I am. I'm only 'bad-tempered' because I defend myself against some girls who like to tease my friends and me. A full-hearted Gryffindor, I'd do anything for my friends."

"Hm, I s'pose. But if you expect to have a relationship—"

"Dad!" Cedric gasped.

"—with my son, I expect it to only be with him, not fooling around with your friend," he proposed.

My face flushed, but my heart broke. Two emotions flew over my body: Embarrassment, at his suggestion, and sadness, for possible future events.

"Sir, if I were to have a relationship with anyone– Cedric or anyone else– I would give them my full attention; I have no intention of fooling around with anyone else," I reassured him.

Before he could say anything Cedric suggested that he needed to get ready for the tournament. Cedric took my hand and rushed out of the Great Hall.

During dinner, I sat at the Gryffindor table with everyone, including Mrs Weasley and Bill. Since then, Mrs Weasley has been considerably nicer to Hermione and me. For dinner, there were more courses than usual, but Harry, who was starting to feel really nervous now, didn't eat much. As the enchanted ceiling overhead began to fade from blue to a dusky purple, Dumbledore rose to his feet at the staff table, and silence fell.

"Ladies and gentlemen, in five minutes' time, I will be asking you to make your way down to the Quidditch field for the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Will the champions please follow Mr Bagman down to the stadium now."

Harry got up. All of the Gryffindors applauded him; the Weasleys, Hermione, and I all wished him good luck, and he headed toward the entrance of the Great Hall. Viktor and Fleur both made their way to the entrance, but not Cedric. Looking around, I couldn't find him until he was behind me.

"Hello there, Mr Diggory, how may I help you?" I asked giving him a soft smile.

"Come with me really quick," he grabbed my hands and took me over to the Hall's doorway. In the entrance hall, he pulled me into a tight hug.

"Are you okay? What's wrong?" I panicked.

"No, nothing. I just wanted a quick 'good luck' from you before I head off to the task," Cedric pulled away.

"Awe," I cooed, "I wish you all the luck in the world, and then some."

"How about a Good Luck Kiss?" Cedric offered shyly.

My cheeks grew hot at his suggestion. I nodded, afraid to use my own words and leaned up to kiss him. My hand cupped his cheek as his hands held me in place. Like in cheesy love stories, the world stopped. It was just Cedric and me, no one else. Not the sound of Viktor Krum whistling or the gasps from the onlookers in the Great Hall; just us, together. His lips fit perfectly and mine and I wished we could have stayed there together. The kiss was sweet and short. Cedric pulled away and smiled widely.

"How lucky would that kiss be if I told you it was also my first?" I whispered.

"I feel like the luckiest guy in the world," Cedric rubbed his thumb on my cheek.

Leaning up and gave him another quick peck on the cheek, I pushed him away, "go! The champions are waiting for you."

"See you after the task, Charlie. Can't wait to celebrate my win with you. I need to talk to you, all good thing, I promise," Cedric put two fingers to his forehead, giving me a salute, and jogged off towards Bagman and the champions.

Waiting for my friends to come out of the Great Hall, I leaned up against the wall, thinking of what Cedric needed to talk to me about. Hermione and the Weasleys walked out of the Hall and I tapped on Hermione's shoulder, walking with her.

"Oh! What happened? Why did Cedric need you?" she asked.

"He wanted a Good Luck Kiss," I beamed with a girlish grin on my face.

Hermione gasped and smacked my arm, "Charlotte! He did not, ahh."

"He did," I gushed. "And then after the task, he said he needed to talk to me about something!"

As the words came out of my mouth, my brain finally understood them. After the task. My happiness soon turned into anxiety at the thought of the final task. Hermione continued to gush and create theories on what Cedric needed to tell me, but my ears didn't listen for my mind was going a million miles a second. An odd humming ran through my veins and hurt echoed my soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.4K 505 23
Katherine Potter is the twin of the boy who lived. No one knows about her, and the power she holds,and she doesn't realize that she is destined for n...
391K 11.1K 31
Julia Evermore is the lesser-known childhood friend of Severus Snape and Lily Potter at Hogwarts. When she arrived there, Lily left them and she beca...
198K 7.8K 44
"Have you ever really been hated, Nefertari? Have you ever been disowned by your own bloody father before he even met you? Have you ever been cursed...
222K 7.4K 34
Ever wondered.... what if Harry Potter had a twin sister? What if they were separated after Voldemort killed Lily and James Potter? What if his siste...