Lost Memories

By puragringa

𝙊𝙧𝙞𝙜𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙮 𝙈𝙖𝙜𝙞𝙘𝙖𝙡 𝙈𝙪𝙜𝙜𝙡𝙚 (𝙍𝙀-𝙒𝙍𝙄𝙏𝙏𝙀𝙉) ~ Muggles and Hogwarts don't mix. It's... More

forward
- Before Hogwarts
i. the move
ii. books
- Goblet of Fire
iii. kings cross
iv. hogwarts
v. professors
vi. professor "moody"
vii. comfort food
viii. beauxbaton & durmstrang
ix. champions
x. friendships
xi. magic
xii. gryffindor balls
xiii. dragons
xiv. saving graces
xv. boys
xvi. missing people
xvii. information
xix. saviour
xx. loss
xxi. development
- Order of the Phoenix
xxii. question and answer
xxiii. screaming contest
xxiv. problems
xxv. promises
xxvi. favourite girl
xxvii. professor umbitch
xxviii. charm bracelet
xxix. bloodlines
xxx. quidditch
xxxi. hagrid
xxxii. kisses
xxxiii. the dream
xxxiv. horrible confrontation
xxxv. lillies
xxxvi. stood up
xxxvii. jinxed
xxxix. punishment
xl. chaos
xli. the prophecy
xlii. missed
xliii. decisions
- Half-Blood Prince
xliv. pissed off
xlv. draco malfoy
xlvi. switched professors
xlvii. new chaser
xlviii. jewellery
xlix. crushed
l. christmas
li. apparation
lii. tears and pain
liii. problems
liv. turn of events
lv. war
lvi. forever friends
- Deathly Hallows
lvii. lost soldier
lviii. outbursts
lix. bad to worse
lx. grimmauld place
lxi. back at the ministry
lxii. splinched
lxiii. broken friendship
lxiv. godric's hollows
lxv. accidental unforgivables
lxvi. the cloak, the stone, and the wand
lxvii. snatchers
lxviii. tortured
lxix. lestrange's vault
lxx. unexpected help
lxxi. teamwork
lxxii. officially lost
lxxiii. broken family
lxxiv. memories
lxxv. everything's gone
lxxvi. final battle
lxxvii. initium novum

xviii. water balloons

1.2K 76 23
By puragringa

After I woke up, I realized that Hermione wasn't in bed. The sun hardly shined over the trees meaning it was still early morning, barely daybreak. I reckoned since Hermione wasn't in bed, neither was Harry or Ron. There are only a few places they'd run off to, quietly: Hagrid's cottage, The Forest, or the Owlery.

The more I stayed at Hogwarts, the less I remembered things about the Harry Potter books I've read. My mind drew blanks and the little information I had didn't make much sense, almost as if I was experiencing things for the first time all over again.

Over the last couple of months, Dumbledore and I had been talking; whether it over tea or just random visits. The more we spoke, the more we realized that my purpose in their timeline is uncertain but I did have a purpose. Apparently, I'd get a sign.

Deciding their disappearance was nothing, I made my way down to the common room to see it completely empty. It had only taken thirty minutes for the trio to quietly come back.

"Yeah?" I laughed, causing them to jump. They hadn't expected me. "Where've you guys been?"

"Owlery," Harry nodded. "It's nearly eight, wanna go to breakfast?"

"Sure," I said, putting my slippers back on and following the three out of the portrait hole.

"So, tell me, Charlotte," Hermione sat in her seat next to me, "is there a reason why I had to find out from Fred and George that you turn fifteen tomorrow?"

Choking on my apple cider, I look over to Hermione who had a devilish look on her face. Harry and Ron looked at each other and glared at me.

"How come you didn't tell us?" Ron asked.

"We've been trying to ask you for weeks and yet you ever spilt," Harry shook his head.

"How did they find out?" I asked once I stopped coughing.

"Little birds through the grapevine, Charlotte," George popped up to my left.

"Never keep a secret from us," Fred popped up on my right.

"Really now?" I tried. "Well, you better not plan anything. I'm not a birthday person."

"Then you've never partied with us."

"We're the best at them," George added.

"I hope you know, I know everything; so no funny business!" I shouted, trying not to laugh.

Now that I came to think of it, I don't think I've ever woken up scared on my birthday. Feeling uneasy, my body started to wake up before my mind could function. My eyes teared at the great yawn I gave out. What I didn't expect was my entire room, along with Harry, Ron, and Fred and George, to be standing at the foot of my bed in the early morning. Seven pairs of eyes quietly stared at me as I screamed bloody murder.

"Happy Birthday!" they chorused.

My mouth opened and closed like a fish out of water, I was completely at a loss for words. "W-what time is it?" I stuttered.

"Almost seven in the morning, why do you sleep so long?" Fred laughed.

"Why do I— It's only seven in the morning, why would I be awake?"

"We're awake," Ron shrugged.

"You guys are psychos," I yawned.

Shaking my head, I gave everyone a large hug. Although I wasn't close with Lavender or Parvati, they still were awake and said Happy Birthday to me.

Harry suggested that we move our little party to the common room being that the room started to feel crowded with everyone in it. Downstairs was beautiful. Little purple and white streamers hung from the ceiling and on the centre table sat a plate of little cinnamon rolls.

"Courtesy of Dobby," Harry nodded.

Grabbing the plate, I handed a cinnamon roll to everyone in the room. Together we ate our mini breakfast and chatted over nothing. We laughed and shared stories about everyone in the room. Halfway through the stories, Lavender and Parvati decided to go to breakfast and left. The other five stayed with me a little bit longer until Hermione announced something.

"Since you didn't want a birthday party, I have done something better," she beamed. "In the short notice, I grabbed a group of your friends and created a Birthday Scavenger Hunt!"

"Wait, actually?" I smiled up at Hermione. Everyone around the room nodded with an annoyed face.

"I'd like to let you know, that we are only doing this because we love you so so so much," George wrinkled his nose at me.

"Anyways, it is time for you to go upstairs and get ready! Wear something nice and comfortable," Hermione suggested. "But before you go, I'll give you your first hint: Cinderella turns into a pumpkin at midnight."

"Cinderella doesn't do that," I laughed. "But I think I get your gist."

Running up the spiral stairs, I went into my room and quickly changed out of my pyjamas into leggings and a long-sleeved Gryffindor shirt. Slipping my shoes on, I looked around my room for the clue. Hermione said something about Cinderella, who is a Disney Princess. I don't have anything princess related. Going through my trunk, I saw a small piece of parchment tied around the strap of my dress from the Yule Ball on Christmas. Unfolding the paper, Hermione's perfect lettering wrote a clue in the form of a riddle:

The heart of S.P.E.W. lies in the Pumpkin Juice.

The only thing I could think of was the time when Hermione freaked out over the fact that house-elves worked in the kitchen. She was so shocked Hermione manage to tip over her pumpkin juice the first day back from summer. Maybe the next clue is in the Great Hall, I thought to myself. Running back down the stairs, the common room was completely empty unlike when I left it. The only people who were in there were Ginny and Nevile.

"Do you guys know where everyone went?" I asked them.

"Something about getting in position for your birthday scavenger hunt," said Ginny.

"Thanks," I smiled and ran off.

Making my way out of the Gryffindor Tower, I looked around the corridors as I ran through them. People walked the corridors, but no sign of my friends. Either they were hiding, or anything I passed happened to not be a part of the hunt. The Great Hall was full when I got there. Students lined the tables, eating and enjoying their breakfast. In my usual spot at the Gryffindor table, Hermione ate some oatmeal looking thing.

"On the first day of school, Nearly Headless Nick told you about the house-elves in the kitchen. You were so shocked, you managed to spill your pumpkin juice all over the table. I ended up cleaning it," I sat down across from her.

"Spot on," Hermione congratulated. Reaching for something next to her, she pulled out a small box with a folded parchment paper.

"What's this?"

"Happy birthday, Lottie," she smiled. "It's your present and the next clue! But you have to eat breakfast first."

Opening the box, I gasped at the beautiful pair of earrings. They were little studs that had tiny silver suns on each earring.

"Hermione! These are so precious, thank you," I leaned over the table and hugged her.

"Of course. You're one of my best friends," beamed Hermione. "Now, eat something so you can open the clue."

A small sausage and a slice of bread were enough to fill me up after the large cinnamon rolls Dobby had left me. Washing it down with apple juice, I opened up the next clue. The clue didn't make much sense, but as I thought about it, I realized it made all the sense:

A sleeping mermaid laid to rest, figured out the second test.

Waving goodbye to Hermione, I made my way to the Prefect Bathroom where I had helped Harry figure out how to listen to the Golden Egg. Running up the stairs, I bumped into Draco.

"Where are you off to in a hurry?" he asked.

"Uh, to find Harry. He has a— something for me," I smiled tightly.

"Oh, well, alright. See you soon," said Draco as he walked down the stairs.

Shaking my head, I continue my trek up the stairs, and to the right, towards the Prefect Bathroom– Harry and I had snuck into it a few nights before the Second Task. As I rounded the corner, I saw the raven-haired boy I was looking for.

"Boo!" I shouted once I got close enough.

He had been facing the other way, towards the west stairwell. Harry had jumped about a foot in the air and spun around to face me.

"You are so evil," Harry glared.

"If you were any older, you would have had a heart attack," I laughed.

"Did you find the first clue?"

"Yes and then it brought me to you. The night we figured out the second task, you had looked at the portrait of the mermaid and figured out that there were merpeople in the lake," I beamed.

"Here you go," Harry handed me another small box with another piece of parchment. "The box is your present that matches the present Hermione should have given you."

"Thank you," I hugged him after I opened the box– it was a matching bracelet.

Good friends talk, but real friends listen, the parchment read.

With another journey, I groaned as I had to go down four flights of stairs to get to the dungeons. Just as I thought, the red-haired boy waited for me– nervously might I add.

"What's got you so on edge, Weasley?"

Ron spun around and gave me a grateful smile, "I don't know why Hermione insisted on me waiting here for you when we made up in the Hospital Wing."

"Now that you say that, that is very true. But being that my first thought was to come down to the dungeon where Draco shot me with the Antler Jinx. I think Hermione chose right," I shook my head at the memory.

"I s'pose," Rom shrugged. "M-my present is in my room. I didn't bring it down with me because it wouldn't match your outfit. Hermione said to give it to you once the scavenger hunt is over."

"Outfit? The earrings and bracelet don't match my outfit," I furrowed my brows. And then it hit me, "other people have gifts for me that will create an outfit, yeah?"

"Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that," Ron awkwardly scratched his neck. "Anyways, here's your next clue. Good luck with it. I read it over like four times and I haven't a clue what it means."

Opening the parchment, I read my new clue over several times before I got it:

Talking isn't only for parrots, but for ferrets as well. But to talk, you need to know a name.

"Do you really not know what it means?" I asked laughing.

"Not a clue, the only ferret I know of is Malfoy, but he's not your friend," Ron shook his head.

Sighing, I waved goodbye and tried to think of all the places where I'd associated myself with Draco. The dungeon is where most interactions happened, but since Ron was there, it was highly unlikely for Draco to also be there. The only other place where Hermione saw me talk with Draco was in the Great Hall during the Yule Ball and at the entrance hall where we fought over is not knowing my name. Deciding they were in the same area, I walked up the stairs, slower than before, and made it to the main floor.

At the mouth to the entrance hall stood Draco in a different outfit than he did before. Instead of the black slacks and black tee-shirt he had on, Draco switched out his pants for some dark blue jeans.

"If you can tell me my middle name, I promise I won't punch you," I joked. Draco turned around at the sound of my voice but looked a little petrified. "Oh my goodness, I'm joking."

Draco visibly relaxed and gave me a weak smile, "I told you I'd see you soon."

"Yeah, I didn't quite register that, but hi," I chuckled.

"So it's your birthday."

"So it seems so," I rocked in my spot at the slight awkwardness that we had.

"Uh, so happy birthday," he took out a small gift bag that had tissue paper and a piece of parchment sticking out.

"Awe, thank you," I laughed and gave him a hug.

I felt him tense at my hug, but when I didn't let go, he relaxed and also wrapped his arms around me. With Draco being taller than me, my head rested perfectly on his chest. His arms wrapped around my waist to the point where they almost touched his own sides.

"You give nice hugs," I mumbled into his chest.

To my surprise, his chest vibrated in laughter, "thank you. I've never had anyone tell me that."

"You don't seem like the kind of guy to give many hugs," I joked. Draco's smile didn't reach his eyes anymore and I felt like I had hit a nerve. "Uh, I'm going to o-open your present now."

"Granger had given a dress code for the colour and style of a present to give you. Had it not matched, she would have made me give it to you another time. So there are two in there; one that will match the other gifts and the other won't," Draco explained.

My smile grew as I quickly opened the gift bag. Inside was a black puffed hair tie– it seemed to be made out of the same material my Yule Ball dress was made of since it shimmered in the light as well. Sticking my hand back into the bag, I pulled out another little jewellery box. Inside was a necklace with a crest shaped charm on it. It was a deep grey silver colour with the head of a lion facing one way and a snake facing the other. In the middle of the two emblems was a small engraved ribbon with the words: D.M. & C.H.– Initium Novum. And at the very top of the crest shaped badge was an oddly shaped symbol.

"Draco, this is absolutely beautiful. Can you help me put it on?" I asked.

Looking up at him, his smile was wide and grand. He looked happy and whole instead of his usual sad and sulking manner. I brought my hair up, exposing my neck and turned away from him to allow him to put the necklace on me.

"So, what does Initium Novum mean? And what is this symbol?"

"Initium Novum is Latin for New Beginnings and the symbol at the top is an ancient rune protection symbol. As long as you wear it, you will be protected from harm– no magic needed," Draco breathed.

"W-why would I need no magic?" my eyes widened at all the possibilities of why he said that and how he figured it out.

"It's just a saying. Kind of like how muggles have their Evil Eye Tailsman and protection sigils and such. But this crest is actually charged with Protego to forever protect you in case anything were to happen– only if you wear it, so you have to wear it," he pointed at me.

"It's beautiful, thank you," I gave him another hug. Unlike last time, he quickly hugged me back and didn't want to let go. "As lovely as your hugs are, I do need to continue my Scavenger Hunt."

"If you must," Draco sighed. Just as I went to go pull out the slip of parchment, Draco ruined the riddle, "Diggory is on the Quidditch Pitch."

"Draco! I wanted to figure it out on my own," I scoffed.

Despite his attempt at ruining the fun, I still pulled out the parchment and read it aloud:

Brooms require magic and players require __.

"That makes sense," I nodded to myself.

Looking up at Draco once more, I waved him goodbye and towards the back door to go to the Quidditch field. The walk there was much longer than it usually was and I clearly blame the anticipation on getting my next clue. Outside, the weather was still. Instead of the usual downpours that fell around this time of year, the sky was clear with no clouds in sight.

"I was starting to think you forgot about me."

"Did you now? How could I ever forget someone like you?" I laughed.

"I don't know, Charlie. You tell me," Cedric smiled and pulled me into a hug. "I've barely seen you since the Second Task."

"I'm sorry, I've been so busy worrying about my classes and helping my friends with their problems, I haven't had time to relax," I apologized. It wasn't a complete lie, I did have classwork and was helping Harry with his Voldemort problems– I was just extremely vague.

"It's alright, I understand," Cedric sighed. His sad demeanour made me feel bad for blowing him off.

"Truly, I am— I just—"

"Don't apologize, it's your birthday!" he cheered. "Come on, let's hang out before I give you your hint to your next clue."

Cedric grabbed my hand and brought me over to the middle of the Quidditch Pitch. The first time I laid on the field, I had been more against the wall; but this time, we laid dead centre. Cedric pulled me into his chest and kept me in place. Pointing to the sky, we spoke about the different shapes of every cloud. Cedric guessed many magical creatures I didn't know too much about, and I pointed out simple animals like bunnies and dogs.

"I think I need to go, Ced," I sat up.

"Nah, come on, stay a bit longer."

"We've been cloud gazing for a long time. I feel bad making someone wait for me," I frowned.

"All right," Cedric sighed.

I knew I had hurt his feelings, but as I laid with him, the realization of the upcoming events hit me like a truck. Although I prayed to every god and goddess out in the universe, I still worried that I haven't affected the timeline enough to change Cedric's fate. As the selfish person I was, I didn't want to get close to Cedric to have him leave me when– if the time came. Even though he has already taken up a place in my heart, I couldn't bear the idea of. . .

"Are you okay?" Cedric broke me out of my internal pity party. "You've gone quite pale."

"Uh, yeah, sorry. M-my stomach is all weird, I guess," I lied.

"Well, I hope this makes you feel better," he handed me a little envelope and a small box.

"Thank you," I smiled up at him.

Opening the envelope, there was another slip of parchment and three other perfectly cut pieces as well. Ignoring the clue, I pulled out the pieces of paper and read them over. There were date ideas and coupons. The box, on the other hand, held a simple bracelet; silver, like Draco's necklace, and had five little charms: The four balls of Quidditch and a broom.

"Cedric, this is so cute," I gushed. "I love the bracelet and the cute little date cards.

His cheeks turned pink at the compliment and he smiled, shyly, "I– I didn't have enough time to find the perfect gift for you, so I decided on some little da– outings a-and stuff. I didn't think the bracelet was enough but—"

"Thank you," I hugged him tightly.

Pulling out the parchment, I read the last hint:

It's a lovely day for chips and pizza.

Running inside, I make a beeline to the kitchens. The journey to the giant silver fruit bowl portrait wasn't as long as I expected it to be. Only having visited the portrait once, I successfully remembered the way to the passageway. Cautiously looking around, I walk over to the portrait and tickle the green pear towards the bottom of the bowl painting. After a moment, the pear turned into a bright green door handle. Opening it, I step into the passageway and walk to the kitchens.

Just as I stepped into the kitchen, Fred jumped out at me causing me to yell in fright. This grabbed the attention of the surrounding house-elves. I give them an apologetic wave right before I gave one of Fred my deadly death glares.

"What took you so long? I've been waiting for an hour or so," he groaned.

"Boo-hoo, what to do in a kitchen full of house-elves that with be more than happy to serve you whatever you'd like," I mocked him.

"You know, maybe I won't be as nice as I planned on. Just because it's your birthday does not give you the right to be– to be mean," Fred stuck out his bottom lip, making it quiver.

"Shut up," I laughed, punching his arm lightly. "Present time," I made grabby hands and did a little wiggle dance, making Fred laugh.

"I haven't gotten a present for you, sorry to burst your bubble," Fred cackled.

"But– But Ron said you'd the last person will have an outfit for me to wear with all my accessories," I pouted.

"Bloody hell, of course, Ron told you that," Fred sighed dramatically. Walking over to an empty shelf, Fred pulled out a big flat box and handed it to me, reluctantly.

"Thank you," I squealed. Opening the box, there was another parchment slip. "I thought you were the last person..."

"There's one last stop we need to make and it requires you to be blindfolded," Fred winked.

"You leading me while I'm blindfolded? As if! You'd push me down the stairs or lead me into an empty room and lock me in," I overdramatized.

"Have you no faith in me, woman?" he sighed.

"None at all," I huffed. Fred lowered his brows into an angry face and crossed his arms over his chest like a toddler while I opened the present. Inside the box was a white oversized loose half sleeve shirt and blue jeans that had little rhinestones near the pockets. "The jeans are so cute, thank you!"

At the bottom of the box was a black bandana: A blindfold.

"Alright, since you took so much time finding your other hints, we have no time to lose. No cakes and chips for you," Fred clapped. "Through that door is an empty room where you can change in and put on all of your presents."

After I changed into my new clothes and accessories– including Cedric's bracelet–, Fred handed me my final clue:

Although allergic to the fruit, the pastry isn't something you eat— this time.

"Banana Fritters?" I quickly figured it out.

"I expected you to take longer to figure it out," admitted Fred.

"Are we going back to the Common room? Are– Are you guys throwing me a birthday party?! I said not to!"

"You're so full of yourself, Lottie. Not everything is about you, now put on the blindfold, and let's go," Fred instructed.

Reluctantly, I placed the blindfold over my eyes and allow Fred to guide me. Thankfully, we used the regular kitchen entrance and not the portrait hole– I would have, most definitely, hit my head on the low ceiling. After walking for what seemed like ages, Fred warns me to step down instead of stepping up.

"Wait, why are we going down and not up?" I asked. I shot my arms out in front of me, feeling around like a blind man. "I thought we were going to the common room."

"Not yet, a quick pitstop," Fred said with a smile in his voice.

"Fred," I warned. "Where are you–"

I was cut off by the smell of food and, weirdly enough, the sound of crickets. Stepping down once more, as Fred told me, I got hit with a strong breeze. But before I could ask or say anything, I was hit again– not with a strong breeze, but a hard. . . water balloon?

Pulling off my blindfold, I'm met with the familiar faces of my friends– outside.

"Surprise!" They yelled. "Happy Birthday!"

Before I could respond, all of them pulled softball-sized balloons out and threw them at me. I screamed at the cold liquid pouring over all over my body and try to find a place to hide, but there was none. The courtyard is barren of all trees and shrubs, only a large fountain and two long tables, full of food, stood in the middle.

Looking down at myself, different colours stained my new white shirt. I suppose that was the point of the white shirt.

"You guys suck," I laughed. Harry, Hermione, and Ron all ran over to me and began to ask me questions about my day all at one time. "Relax! It was fun. I loved the scavenger hunt."

"I'm glad you did," Hermione smiled. "It was such a last-minute thing, I was hoping it went well."

"It did. I'm very happy," I smiled at them. I took a small step forward, making sure they didn't notice my motive. "Now come give me a hug!" Before they could run away, I managed to grab all three of them into a large bear hug. "You guys are the greatest best friends ever, ya know?"

Looking around the Courtyard, Cedric spoke with Fred and George who were both in Quidditch like him, while Draco stood by himself. He wasn't friends with anyone here, except me– in fact, he probably tormented everyone here, except for me.

"Thank you for coming," I thanked Draco.

"Anything for you, Char," he smiled at me. Char. . . that was a new one.

"I know," I nodded. "I know it's not too much fun being here since none of your Slytherin friends are here, but I appreciate it."

"I know," Draco mimicked me.

Before I could say anything else, someone cleared their throat behind me. Turning around, I was faced with a large cake decorated with candles. Everyone around me started singing 'Happy Birthday' to me, causing me to blush greatly.

At that moment, everything was perfect and nothing could ruin it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 205 22
bad boy x good girl trope 🥇 17 # nessabarrett THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 10KKK!!!!
247K 8.8K 83
[Semi-Canon] [Highest Rating- #1 in sherlocklovestory] It's Autumn in London and Love is in season for one Consulting Detective and Zoologist. Sherlo...
919K 21.1K 49
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
51.1K 416 28
It's wenclair.this is a. Continued one shot and I might do a full story thing okkkk. I have stories on my other acc so I mught just do smut and fluff...