Summer Of Us

By -venuswrites

"You're it for me, Evy," his voice cracked. I looked down at our intertwined hands and back up at his pain-sl... More

preface
aesthetics
chapter two|once here, next gone
chapter three|the party
chapter four|drunken walks
chapter five|champagne glasses and grins

chapter one|birthday blues

1.3K 71 154
By -venuswrites

Evy's POV

I was officially going crazy.

Could I really do this?

Probably not.

"It'll only be one dinner," Easton reasons, unable to hide the pleading note in his voice. His cuffed shirt skimmed across my leg and I could tell by his obvious attempt that he was trying to loosen me up to the idea.

If I hadn't been stubborn about not going, I would've even given into the guilty pleasure that he made to seem so desirable. But, holding true to my word, I backed his hand away and narrowed my eyes at him.

There was no point in him even trying to get me to go to his parents. We both knew their strong dislike for me and I didn't feel like wasting my night being sent judgemental looks from his mom or cold gestures from his dad.

They had made it abundantly clear at many gatherings that they didn't appreciate their rich, millionaire going-on son dating a girl that they saw well below his worth. It stung but at least I didn't have to keep working to make them like me.

"You know they wouldn't like me there," I say with a disapproving look. "They never have wanted me at these events and it'll just make tonight more awkward then it should be. Don't ruin your chance just for me."

Hurt hits my stomach when Easton gives me a countering look before sighing and nodding his head in defeat. In all truth, I was a little disappointed that he hadn't pushed me further. It would've been somewhat nice to think that he really did want me to come, rather than just asking out of simple courtesy.

I shouldn't have been surprised by his easy look into giving up, though, considering that most times it felt like even he seemed to be embarrassed by bringing me around all his dad's rich colleagues or mom's luxury-living best friends.

Maybe he was starting to believe his parents' words about how I wasn't fit to be in a relationship with him. I sure hoped not since he had promised me that they wouldn't get between us again.

"Okay, well if you change your mind then don't hesitate to call me." He squeezes my hand tightly with a sympathetic look. Yeah, I definitely wouldn't be changing my mind.

"For sure," I smile softly. Easton returns one of his own, except it didn't quite reach his eyes. With a quick kiss on my forehead, Easton walks out the door faster than he came.

"Love you," he calls back.

"Love you too," I mumble, hugging my coffee closer to my chest.

As soon as the door shuts, I blow out a breath of relief and let my tired body sag against the couch.

It was the day of my birthday and I had to admit, I was a little surprised that Easton's parents had held this dinner tonight, knowing well that I wouldn't have wanted to come. It was low of them to do, and I couldn't believe I had fooled myself into thinking that our relationship had somewhat gotten better.

Their invitation was reluctant and I had the sneaking suspicion that they were trying to pry Easton away from me tonight, but I didn't tell him that. That boy adored his parents and held them on a high pedestal where they could do no wrong in his eyes.

If only he knew how blatantly wrong he was.

After all, he always said that he owed his parents for everything. Becoming a worldwide singer wasn't easy and with the proper ties his parents had in the music industry, it was no secret that he had always been grateful to them for that.

I just wish he could knock some sense into them for ruining our relationship last time. It was a big chance I had taken to get back together with him again and now with this dinner, it was apparent that he was going back on all those promises he had made.

This morning, Easton showed up to my house with a bouquet of flowers and announced he had an entire day planned for me, including that we'd be going out to the beach and then for dinner. It was meant to be just the two of us for my birthday. I had even called off plans to hangout with Arden and cancelled my shift at the bookstore.

Only the two of us.

It didn't quite work out like that.

Instead, the beach trip was cancelled because the beach itself was closed for cleaning and now our dinner plans were called to quits because of the important dinner.

His parents had said it was drastically important for his career to go and that it would be impossible to reschedule it. And, with his rare opportunity to come back from his California tour, it was a one chance thing, much more important than a stupid birthday dinner. They played the guilt card well and roped Easton into coming without any hesitation.

So, being the slight pushover I was, I told Easton to go to dinner tonight and we'd be going out tomorrow. He grabbed onto the chance immediately and promised on empty lies that he'd make it up to me.

Fat chance for that. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents called in an important brunch tomorrow as well.

I stretched my body out onto the couch for a more comfortable position. Bored out of my mind, I scrolled mindlessly through my mental checklist for this weekend. I had unfortunately finished all my chores and it wasn't as though I could exactly call anyone to hang out right now.

Arden was out with his friends—no surprise there—and Mom and Dad were still stuck down in Chicago. Apparently, Dad's conference meeting lasted longer than they had expected and wouldn't be able to make it back for my birthday. They had called and sent gifts but left me to utter boredom alone in the house.

I think I'll explode if I spend another minute cooped up in this house.

Sighing once again, I picked up my phone and slipped on my shoes. I still had time to make tonight better and much more enjoyable than staying here, even if it was by myself.

So what if no one was here tonight? I'd find a way to celebrate my birthday all by myself. Even if it meant splurging my entire wallet into one night filled with endless servings of ice cream. Better than sitting in the empty house wallowing in self pity.

Grabbing the keys, I shut the door behind me and locked it before walking down the winding paths.

The lively town instantly hit me with the bustling crowds and mindless chatter. It felt good to be around more people again, especially after spending this whole weekend cooped up in my bedroom waiting for Vaughan to come home.

I took my time walking down the paths filled with stores cramped next to each other. The crisp evening air was mixed with saltiness and the sound of a street band playing their guitars welcomed the feeling of summer.

"Evelyn!" Rikki exclaimed as I pushed open the doors to the cozy cafe."Didn't expect to see you here. Thought you'd be out with the boyfriend," her eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "What happened? Was Easton not able to make it home?"

I shook my head and maneuvered my way to the counter. "No, he did, just some sort of big business dinner came up with his parents and..."

My words trailed off as Rikki looked at me with a sympathetic look. "Had to cancel?" She finished.

I winced at her slightly accusatory words. It was obvious that both Easton and I had busy schedules, and with the time zone difference it was hard to make plans that suited the other but I had often blinded myself on how bad the situation had gotten until now.

"Yeah, yeah he did," I mumble and look down at my shoes to avoid her pitying gaze. A beat of silence and I find myself starting to regret coming here. The last thing I needed to put a damper on this already miserable birthday was to get a lecture on my relationship from Rikki.

"Well, I know just what you need," her enthusiastic voice makes me sigh in relief. I had escaped the awkward conversation once. "An Oreo chip milkshake? On the house just this once."

I smile gratefully, "That would really help, thanks Rikki."

She waves me off and trudging, I make my way over to my regular corner booth where I had spent more days here than anywhere else.

I crossed my legs and surveyed the rest of the cafe. It was fairly empty, due to it being a Saturday and most teens were out partying or in town with their friends.

I, on the other hand, was completely lacking in the friends department with the number of times I had turned down opportunities to hang out with some of the students on campus.

There were still people here, mainly tourists during the summer time who came just to get a look at the local areas where travel outlets seemed to thrive.

"One Oreo milkshake," Rikki says joyfully, placing the tempting dessert in front of me. Expecting her to go away, I unhinge my jaw and dig in but instead, the middle-aged woman slides into the seat across from me and studies me with interest. I look up at her embarrassedly with the evident chocolate syrup probably sticking on my corner lip.

Clearing my throat, I wipe it away with the napkin and match her calculating gaze. "What's up?" I ask casually but really I was wishing for her to go away so I could eat in peace.

She doesn't say anything for a minute before sighing and placing her hand over mine. "I know we've talked about this before—barely, I might add—but you really need to start thinking about this relationship."

The pit feeling of dread grows in my stomach once again. Rikki was right about one thing, I had a tendency to always shut her down when she tried to talk to me about it. In all truth, I guess I was afraid to admit that she was right and that this relationship between Easton and me was not ideal.

"It's my birthday, Rikki," I sigh, "Not today."

She opens her mouth to say something but closes it, walking off with a nod and a tight smile, apparently sensing that I wasn't in the mood.

I heave a heavy breath and go back to stirring my straw mindlessly in the glass. After this whole reminder of Easton and I's situation, I had lost my appetite for the dessert in front of me but refused to waste it. After all, it was on the house and even if I didn't want it, I'll still force it down somehow.

I found myself staring at the door, hopelessly wishing for Easton's face to appear even though I knew it wouldn't happen. Based on tonight's events, he had proved yet again that this business stuff was more important to him than me.

I understood that this was his future and he wanted to keep his parents happy, but this was the first time in almost six months he was coming home to see me and my birthday on top of that. Was it so selfish of me to want him to spend more time with me?

"This seat taken?" A deep voice snaps me out of my daze and for a second, I find myself elated at the thought of it being Easton. However, much to my dismay when I turn around, it's just some random guy who looked drunker than hell.

"Yes, it is," I roll my eyes and turn back to the front, making sure I could see him out of the corner of my eye. I catch Rikki's gaze and she sends me a questioning look, alarmed at the ragged man next to me.

"By who?" He pushes.

My frustration was growing by the second. "By—,

"—Me." A chirpy voice sounds on the other side of the booth. Surprised, I glance over to see a small built, gorgeous Korean girl sending the man a sickly smile which was anything but sweet. She notices me looking at her and sends me a wink.

Apparently the man got the hint that he wasn't welcome and left with a curt nod, leaving me with the drop dead model of a girl in front of me.

Making sure he was still in earshot, she leaned over to me. "Thank god that creep's gone," she rolls her eyes. I stifle a laugh as I see the man turn back with a glare but deciding against a comeback. I know he wouldn't try anything now, not with Rikki on standby and this girl in front of me. Once he had finally ran out of the cafe with his tail between his legs, I turned my gaze to the confident girl who just saved my ass.

"I'm Olivia," she smiles, extending her hand. Her long brown hair swayed over her shoulders, settling nicely over her pale skin. What I would give to have straight hair like that. Mine was unbelievably curly and took forever to brush it out. "Olivia Park."

I look at her perfectly manicured fingers and tentatively put my hand in hers and shake it. "Um, Evelyn," I responded, but it came out more as a question.

Olivia didn't seem to notice it as she smiled even brighter. "That's such a pretty name," she gushes. I chuckle awkwardly, surprised by the ease of this girl talking to me. "Your nickname will now be Lyn."

My eyebrows shoot up in confusion. "Lyn?"

She leans forward and rests her chin on her hand. "I have a thing where I give nicknames to people, ya know, just for it to be a little more personal."

I didn't know how to respond to that so I went with the most awkward reply. "Thanks, I guess."

I cringed at the way I probably sounded like a dork but Olivia didn't care as she scooted in towards the booth and took a sip out of my Oreo milkshake. All of a sudden, as she pulled back her eyes went wide and she slapped a hand over her mouth. "Oh god, that was so rude of me," her voice falters. "Um, may I have had that sip?"

I let out an unexpected laugh and nodded my head. "Sure, it's all yours." She blushes slightly, dimples popping out as she did so.

"Thanks by the way, you know for that," I motioned to where the guy had been standing.

Olivia rolled her eyes with disgust written over her face. "Don't worry about it, the guy looked like a creep anyways. Also looked fucking high as hell."

I nodded my head in agreement, still too much at a loss for words as I realized I was having an actual conversation with someone other than my boyfriend.

"Yeah, who knows what would've happened." I shudder at the news I had been hearing all too recently with encounters with girls. I was lucky we lived in a relatively safe town, but there were still always the odd ones out who managed to ruin everyone's feeling of safety.

"So, do you work here?" I ask her, noticing the similar uniform to Rikki's. I had never really been good at starting conversations but she looked nice enough.

Besides, it wouldn't hurt to have a friend here.

Olivia glances down at the uniform and chuckles. "Yeah, actually I started last week."

Huh, that must've explained why I hadn't seen her around before.

"Job experience?" I ask, trying not to come off as nosey. I knew a lot of students in college like me were working part time to gain more experience or even just to keep up with all the expenses.

Olivia's cheery look faltered a little and I feared that I may have crossed a line. "I'm sorry, that was random—,"

"No, no it's fine," she waves her hand casually. "My, uh...my parents kicked me out last year." She sucked in a deep breath before continuing, "Got pregnant and all and they decided they didn't need to keep two more mouths to feed," she chuckled awkwardly.

My chest ached as her eyes cast downward sadly and I mentally slapped myself for asking that. Great way to make friends, Evs, you're a natural at this.

I stared at her slightly in shock. How were you even supposed to respond to that? Be sympathetic? Make a joke? I had a bad case of using humour every time things got awkward, hence why I did not comfort people.

"I'm so sorry," I put my hand over hers, resorting to sympathy. "I don't know what that feels like but I can only imagine how much it sucked."

No idea how much it did to help her but I tried as best as I could. I had never known how to properly comfort people and in most situations I became really awkward, offering either my blunt advice or keeping quiet. It seemed as though neither worked in the right situations though.

Olivia nodded with a soft smile and instantly changed her mood back to her chirpy self. Her changed demeanor almost gave me a whiplash. "So, what's got you here so late tonight?"

I grimaced as Easton's and I conversation replayed in my head and I waved it off. "Not a big deal."

Olivia looked at me with an expectant expression and I didn't feel the energy in me to fight it off. Besides, she was a stranger so it wouldn't exactly kill if she did judge me.

Being blunt had always been both a blessing and a curse for me. Now, it was time to see which one it would be with her.

So I told her.

Hii guys!
Hope you enjoyed the first chapter, even if it may start out a little boring, the next chapter will have a lot more drama starting.
Do you prefer longer or shorter chapters?
Thanks so much for reading, I love you all!
-Venus

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

BLUE BLOOD By ec

Teen Fiction

357K 13.3K 63
Anybody who is a somebody knows that the blue-blooded heirs of Queens Erlington Academy keep secrets. Never fall in love with a blue blood or you'll...
624K 15.3K 64
sequel to aeou (read first) ✘ ✘ ✘ The boys are back. And they're out for revenge. Last semester the girls of Sterling humiliated Caleb, Luca, Atla...
465K 1.9K 60
lesbian oneshots !! includes smut and fluff, chapters near the beginning are AWFUL. enjoy!
115K 9.1K 11
Her şey bana gelen mektupla başlamıştı. Ufacık bir not kağıdında yazan şeyler büyük olaylara ve hayatımın değişmesine yol açmıştı. Ben kendimden emin...