The Dead Never Return

By bboydgryffindor

Voldemort's dead. The war is over. The unnessesary bloodshed stopped. The Wizarding World is changing for the... More

Author's Note
The Begining to the Impossible
Nova Tries Killing The Dead
Nova's Plan
What If They Leave Again?
First Year Part One
First Year Part Two
First Year Part Three
Saint Mungos
What The Actual Fu-
Second Year Part One
Second Year Part Two
Second Year Part Three
Second Year Final Part
The Unexpected Visitors
Nova's Favorite Animal Mosquitos
Third Year Part One
Third Year Part Two
The First Message
Fourth Year
Date Night Interrupted
Fifth Year

First Year Final Part

6.1K 220 384
By bboydgryffindor

Author's Note:

This chapter is definately longer than the other ones...

Enjoy!

"So you mean to tell me that four eleven-year-olds worked to stop Snape alone?" Lily asked in shock, running a pale hand through her hair.

"Technically, Hermione was twelve for most of it and Ron turned twelve before we actually decided to go on an adventure," Nova shrugged. Lily sent her a dark and irritated expression. "But yes. Dumbledore left four midgets to fight a dark wizard. Done it a few times."

"I've never realized it before," Hermione shook her head.

Harry remained silent, knowing that if he told them what Dumbledore planned for him, especially Nova and Lily, would lose it. He realized that they would find out later, but he thought it best to wait.

"What's up, bitches?" Theo shouted as he returned from the store.

"You better not have emptied my bank account," Nova warned. "I'll set Nyx on you, pale bastard."

"Sheesh!" Theo rolled his eyes. "And to think I got you chocolate."

Harry instantly looked at Nova. He knew she hasn't eaten any chocolate since May. Since Remus's death.

She shrugged and walked to the kitchen.

Once she was out of ear-shot everyone turned to Harry.

"What the hell?" Fred hissed.

"That woman has never turned down chocolate. Like ever." George added.

Many of the Returners tuned into the conversation.

"Yeah, well, things change," Harry shrugged.

"You said she was getting better!" Ginny hissed while jabbing her finger accusingly at him.

"She is!" Harry exclaimed. "From what I've heard that happened, I'm not surprised she is taking a while to heal. I'd be concerned if she was acting normal."

"How much do you know?" Hermione asked. She was the only other person that knows what happened to Nova.

"The basics. I know what happened but, with Nova, it's always worse than she makes it out to be. Although she was sobbing when she told me..." Harry frowned. "I wish I was there."

Hermione nodded in agreement.

"I'm going to ignore how I don't know what you're talking about," Sirius stated. "We'll see it in the memories."

"The memories Nova will not be watching," Harry crossed his arms.

"Why not?" Dorcas had asked, generally curious.

"Considering she was in isolation, tortured for nearly nine months, powerless, and a bunch of other things, I'd say that she's not reliving that." Harry's tone was final. There wasn't anything to debate.

Nova, who was listening at the door, smiled thankfully. She wanted to watch the memories, but Harry was right, she didn't need to relive that. The memories haunted her enough.

***

"Good Golly!" James exclaimed as he watched Neville, Nova, Hermione, and Harry lose a total of 200 points at one time. "In all of our years at Hogwarts, we could never break the 175 mark!"

The group had just watched the memory in which Harry, Hermione, and Nova snuck out to help Norberta to safety with Neville tagging along in hopes of warning them about Malfoy. 

"I do recall telling Minnie that I would be breaking every single one of your records," Nova grinned. "I haven't broken the 500 points mark. That's my record."

"Umbitch Season doesn't count!" Fred objected. "That's unfair for our count!"

"Well, Fredrick," Nova grinned. "You should've been more daring."

"Yeah, Fredrick," Harry mocked. "You should've been more daring than the person who shouted at Umbitch, cussed Umbitch out, started an illegal defense group, pulled a total of 177 pranks, stood out against misogynies, broke the dress code every day, and told the ministry to go fuck itself."

"Yeah, Fredrick," Ginny joined in. "It's not that hard."

"I think I missed a book," Lily whispered to Remus. "Or two..."

"Who is Umbitch?" Regulus asked. 

"You'll see, Uncle Reg," Nova stated. 

***

"No more studying," Ron sighed happily, stretching out on the grass. "You could look more cheerful, Harry, we've got a week before we find out how badly we've done, there's no need to worry yet." 

Harry was rubbing his forehead. 

"I wish I knew what this means!" he burst out angrily. "My scar keeps hurting — it's happened before, but never as often as this." 

"Go to Madam Pomfrey," Hermione suggested. 

"I'm not ill," said Harry. "I think it's a warning...it means danger'scoming...." 

Ron couldn't get worked up, it was too hot. 

"Harry, relax, Hermione's right, the Stone's safe as long as Dumbledore's around. Anyway, we've never had any proof Snape found out how to get past Fluffy. He nearly had his leg ripped off once, he's not going to try it again in a hurry. And Neville will play Quidditch for England before Hagrid lets Dumbledore down."

"Ron's right," Nova said, causing him to turn bright red. "Snivs can't get past Fluffy. Besides, Dumbles is around."

"Awe! Ickle Ronnikins had a crush on Nox!" George teased. 

"Leave him alone, George," Nova rolled her eyes. "It's not that embarrassing. I'm pretty amazing."

"Where'd you come from?" Harry asked. 

"The sky. I'm a blessing from Merlin," she grinned. 

"I never thought I'd see an ego to rival my brother's or his baboon of a friend," Regulus snorted. "Yet, here Nova is."

"Don't even think about it," Hermione shot down as Nova began to move towards her. 

Nova grumbled and backed away before throwing her water balloon at Draco. 

"That was you!" the blonde ferret turned to his cousin. 

Harry continued to rub his scar. 

"Suck it up, buttercup," Nova stated. 

"That's helpful," Harry grumbled. 

"No one said you couldn't go to Poppy."

"But I don't want to."

"Then suffer," Nova rolled her eyes. "Who wants a cookie?"

"Me!" Ron jumped up.

Nova handed him two cookies and gave two to Hermione. As she tried handing Harry a cookie, he shook his head.

Ron looked at him like he was crazy for refusing a cookie from Nova. 

"Why don't you want the cookie?" she asked, narrowing her eyes. 

"I'm not hungry."

"I can hear your stomach from here." Nova rolled her eyes.

Hermione and Ron shared a glance before backing up slightly. 

Harry grumbled. 

"Just eat the cookie," Nova insisted. 

"No."

"It's not like I poisoned it or anything," she rolled her eyes, before looking at him with wide and sad eyes. "You don't think I poisoned it, do you?"

Harry looked up at her and his scowl faded. 

She was giving him the puppy dog eyes. 

"Give me the bloody cookie," he huffed. 

It wasn't long after eating it did Harry's scar stop hurting. 

"What?" Nova asked as Hermione narrowed her eyes. 

"What's with you and slipping things into our food and drinks?" she accused. "You clearly slipped Harry a painless potion. Not to mention all of the relaxation potions you gave me through the years."

"Technically," Nova countered. "That cookie was meant for me. I had a migraine that day and needed something to limit my symptoms. I gave it to Harry instead."

"Nova," Harry whispered to her softly. "We talked about putting others before ourselves."

"This was years ago you big dork!" she hissed and shoved him. 

Lily smiled softly at their interaction. 

Harry suddenly jumped to his feet. 

"Where're you going?" said Ron sleepily. 

"I've just thought of something," said Harry. He had turned white."We've got to go and see Hagrid, now." 

"Why?" panted Hermione, hurrying to keep up. 

"Don't you think it's a bit odd," said Harry, scrambling up the grassy slope, "that what Hagrid wants more than anything else is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have an egg in his pocket? How many people wander around with dragon eggs if it's against wizard law? Lucky they found Hagrid, don't you think? Why didn't I see it before?" 

"What are you talking about?" said Ron, but Harry, sprinting across the grounds toward the forest, didn't answer. 

"I thought we already decided it was odd!" Nova shouted after them before sprinting after them. "It's obvious!"

"How do you run so fast?" Hermione groaned as Nova passed her effortlessly. "What are people feeding you?"

"Chocolate," Nova said simply 

Hagrid was sitting in an armchair outside his house; his trousers and sleeves were rolled up, and he was shelling peas into a large bowl.

"Hullo," he said, smiling. "Finished yer exams? Got time fer a drink?" 

"Yes, please," said Ron, but Harry cut him off. 

"No, we're in a hurry. Hagrid, I've got to ask you something." 

"Speak for yourself, Harold," Nova glared. "I'll take a Firewhiskey-"

"You know that night you won Norbert? What did the stranger you were playing cards with look like?"  Harry countered, giving her a sharp look which she quickly returned. 

"Dunno," said Hagrid casually, "he wouldn' take his cloak off." He saw the three of them look stunned and raised his eyebrows."It's not that unusual, yeh get a lot o' funny folk in the Hog's Head —that's the pub down in the village. Might a bin a dragon dealer, mightn' he? I never saw his face, he kept his hood up." 

Harry sank down next to the bowl of peas. "What did you talk to him about, Hagrid? Did you mention Hogwarts at all?" 

"Mighta come up," said Hagrid, frowning as he tried to remember."Yeah...he asked what I did, an' I told him I was gamekeeper here...He asked a bit about the sorta creatures I took after...so I told him...an' I said what I'd always really wanted was a dragon...an' then...I can' remember too well, 'cause he kept buyin' me drinks...Let's see...yeah, then he said he had the dragon egg an' we could play cards fer it if I wanted...but he had ter be sure I could handle it, he didn' want it ter go ter any old home....So I told him, after Fluffy, a dragon would be easy...." 

Nova gave him a look that clearly asked how a three-headed dog was easier to look after than a bloody dragon.

"And did he — did he seem interested in Fluffy?" she asked, trying to keep her voice calm.  

"Well — yeah — how many three-headed dogs d'yeh meet, even around Hogwarts? So I told him, Fluffy's a piece o' cake if yeh know how to calm him down, jus' play him a bit o' music an' he'll go straight off ter sleep —" Hagrid suddenly looked horrified.

"I shouldn'ta told yeh that!" he blurted out. "Forget I said it! Hey —where're yeh goin'?" 

Harry, Ron, Nova, and Hermione didn't speak to each other at all until they came to a halt in the entrance hall, which seemed very cold and gloomy after the grounds. 

"We've got to go to Dumbledore," said Harry. 

"Well no shit, Sherlock!" Nova rolled her eyes before turning to Hermione. "Did I use that reference right?"

Hermione rolled her eyes but nodded nonethess. 

"Hagrid told that stranger how to get past Fluffy, and it was either Snape or Voldemort under that cloak —it must've been easy, once he'd got Hagrid drunk. I just hope Dumbledore believes us. Firenze might back us up if Bane doesn't stop him. Where's Dumbledore's office?" They looked around, as if hoping to see a sign pointing them in the right direction. They had never been told where Dumbledore lived, nor did they know anyone who had been sent to see him.

"We'll just have to —" Harry began, but a voice suddenly rang across thehall.

"What are you three doing inside?" 

It was Professor McGonagall, carrying a large pile of books. 

"Hi, Minnie!" Nova exclaimed and waved enthusiastically. 

"We want to see Professor Dumbledore," said Hermione, rather bravely, the other three thought. 

"See Professor Dumbledore?" Professor McGonagall repeated, as though this was a very fishy thing to want to do. "Why?" 

"It's sort of secret," Harry said, but he wished at once he hadn't, because Professor McGonagall's nostrils flared. 

"Professor Dumbledore left ten minutes ago," she said coldly. "He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and flew off for London atonce." 

"He's gone?" said Harry frantically. "Now?" 

"Professor Dumbledore is a very great wizard, Potter, he has many demands on his time – " 

"But this is important." 

"Something you have to say is more important than the Ministry of Magic, Potter?"

"Look," said Harry, throwing caution to the winds, "Professor — it's about the Sorcerer's Stone —" 

Whatever Professor McGonagall had expected, it wasn't that. The books she was carrying tumbled out of her arms, but she didn't pick them up. 

"How do you know —?" she spluttered. 

"Professor, I think — I know — that Sn— that someone's going to tryand steal the Stone. I've got to talk to Professor Dumbledore."

 She eyed him with a mixture of shock and suspicion."Professor Dumbledore will be back tomorrow," she said finally. I don'tknow how you found out about the Stone, but rest assured, no one can possibly steal it, it's too well protected." 

"But Professor —"

"Potter, I know what I'm talking about," she said shortly. She bent down and gathered up the fallen books. I suggest you all go back outside and enjoy the sunshine." 

But they didn't. 

"It's tonight," said Harry, once he was sure Professor McGonagall was out of earshot. "Snape's going through the trapdoor tonight. He's found out everything he needs, and now he's got Dumbledore out of the way. He sent that note, I bet the Ministry of Magic will get a real shock when Dumbledore turns up." 

"But what can we —" Hermione gasped. Harry and Ron wheeled round. 

Snape was standing there. 

"Good afternoon," he said smoothly. They stared at him."You shouldn't be inside on a day like this," he said, with an odd, twisted smile. 

"We were —" Harry began, without any idea what he was going to say. Nova elbowed him. 

"We were off to —" 

Snape cut her off. 

"You want to be more careful," said Snape. "Hanging around like this,people will think you're up to something. And Gryffindor really can't afford to lose any more points, can it?" 

Harry flushed and Nova growled. They turned to go outside, but Snape called them back. 

"Be warned, Black, Potter — any more night time wanderings and I will personally make sure you are expelled. Good day to you."

"I hope he rots in hell," Nova hissed. 

***

"We'd better put the cloak on here, and make sure it covers all three of us– if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own —" 

"What are you doing?" said a voice from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad, who looked asthough he'd been making another bid for freedom. 

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Harry, hurriedly putting the cloakbehind his back. Neville stared at their guilty faces. 

"You're going out again," he said. 

"No, no, no," said Hermione. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?" 

Harry looked at the grandfather clock by the door. They couldn't afford to waste any more time, Snape might even now be playing Fluffy to sleep. 

"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor willbe in even more trouble." 

"You don't understand," said Harry, "this is important." 

But Neville was clearly steeling himself to do something desperate. "I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll — I'll fight you!" 

"Neville, "Ron exploded, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot—" 

"Don't you call me an idiot!" said Neville. "I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!""

Yes, but not to us," said Ron in exasperation. "Neville, you don't know what you're doing." 

He took a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor the toad, who leapt out of sight."Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fists. "I'm ready!" 

Harry turned to Hermione."Do something," he said desperately. 

Nova pinched the bridge of her nose. 

Hermione stepped forward."Neville," she said, "I'm really, really sorry about this." 

She raised her wand.

"Stupefy," Nova whispered with her black dragon heartstring pointed at its target, stunning Neville and causing the other three to look at her. "Sorry, Nev."

She simply stepped over Neville and exited the portrait hole. 

"She scares me sometimes."

***

There was a quick encountered the Golden Quartet faced. All it took was for Nova to come out her hiding place and tell him to not speak of what he has seen and to find another victim to prank. 

"Peeves listens to you?" James shouted in shock. 

"Ease up, old man," she groaned. "Wouldn't want you to overwork your fragile heart there."

Marlene snorted. She had already decided she liked Nova, but she seemed to be getting a whole lot better. 

"Well, there you are," Harry said quietly, as the group of four got to the door "Snape's already got past Fluffy."Seeing the open door somehow seemed to impress upon all four of them what was facing them. Underneath the cloak, Harry turned to the other three. 

"If you want to go back, I won't blame you," he said. "You can take thecloak, I won't need it now." 

Nova slapped Harry. 

"Don't be stupid," said Ron. 

"We're coming," said Hermione. 

"You're dumber than Snape to think we're sitting this out, Potter," Nova stated. 

"Okay, we got that," Theo teased. "But what was the purpose for slapping him?"

"Dramatic effect," Harry answered for her. "Matches her aesthetic."

Harry pushed the door open. As the door creaked, low, rumbling growls met their ears. All four of the dog's noses sniffed madly in their direction, even though it couldn't see them. 

"What's that at its feet?" Hermione whispered. 

"Looks like a harp," said Ron. "Snape must have left it there." 

"It must wake up the moment you stop playing," said Harry. "Well, here goes ...." 

He put Hagrid's flute to his lips and blew. It wasn't really a tune, butfrom the first note the beast's eyes began to droop. Harry hardly drew breath. Slowly, the dog's growls ceased — it tottered on its paws and fell to its knees,then it slumped to the ground, fast asleep. 

"Keep playing," Ron warned Harry as they slipped out of the cloak and crept toward the trapdoor. They could feel the dog's hot, smelly breath as they approached the giant heads. 

"I think we'll be able to pull the door open," said Ron, peering over the dog's back. "Want to go first, Hermione?" 

"No, I don't!"

Nova rolled her eyes and launched herself down the trap door without a second thought. 

"It's okay!" she shouted. "It's a soft landing, you can jump!" 

Harry and Ron followed right away. Ron landed, sprawled next to Harry."What's this stuff?" were his first words. 

"Dunno, some sort of plant thing. I suppose it's here to break the fall. Come on, Hermione!" 

The distant music stopped. There was a loud bark from the dog, butHermione had already jumped. She landed on Harry's other side. 

"We must be miles under the school," she said. 

"Lucky this plant thing's here, really," said Ron. 

"Lucky!" shrieked Hermione. "Look at you three!" 

She leapt up and struggled toward a damp wall. She had to struggle because the moment she had landed, the plant had started to twist snake-like tendrils around her ankles. As for Harry and Ron, their legs had already beenbound tightly in long creepers without their noticing. Nova was thrashing violently and kicking the plant. 

"Stop moving!" Hermione ordered them. "I know what this is - it's Devil's Snare!"

"Oh, I'm so glad we know what it's called, that's a great help," snarled Ron, leaning back, trying to stop the plant from curling around his neck.

"If we can identify it, we can defeat it!" Nova countered, still thrashing mad. She clearly did not care for Hermione's warning. "Now shut the bloody hell up, and let Hermione think!"

"Hurry up! I can't breathe!" Harry gasped.

"Why?" Lily exclaimed. "Why must you four find yourselves in these situations?"

"Believe it or not," Alex spoke up hesitantly. "This is probably one of the least threatening situations they've found themselfes in."

Lily paled.

"Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare ...what did Professor Sprout say?" Hermione asked.

"It's an emo teenager and enjoys the damp and dark," Nova answered as she continued to struggle with the plant.

"So light a fire!" Harry choked.

"Yes! Of course! But there's no wood!" Hermione cried out.

"Have you gone mad?" Ron bellowed. "Are you a witch or not?"

"Oh right!" Hermione waved her wand and the two boys felt it loosening its grip. "Nova!"

Harry whirled around to see Nova in a cacoon of Devil's Snare.

Suddenly the plant itself exploded off of Nova's body. She shot up, gasping. Her eyes were glowing and her hands held the same golden mist people had become accustomed to.

"Are you alright, Nox?" Ron asked.

She nodded.

"Lucky you pay attention in Herbology, Hermione," Harry acknowledge.

Ron mumbled something, but Nova ignored him.

"This way," she said, pointing down a stone passageway.

"Can you hear something?" Ron whispered.

A soft rustling and clicking noise seemed to be coming from up ahead.

"Do you think it's a ghost?"

"I don't know...sounds like wings to me."

"If it's birds, I'm leaving," Nova said darkly.

"There's light ahead -  I can see something moving."

They reached the end of the passageway and saw before them a brilliantly lit chamber, its ceiling arching high above them. It was full of small, jewel-bright birds, fluttering and tumbling all around the room. On the opposite side of the chamber was a heavy wooden door.

“Do you think they’ll attack us if we cross the room?” said Ron.

“Probably,” said Harry. “They don’t look very vicious, but I suppose if they all swooped down at once…well, there’s no other choice…I’ll run.”

He took a deep breath, covered his face with his arms, and sprinted across the room. He expected to feel sharp beaks and claws tearing at him any second, but nothing happened. He reached the door untouched. He pulled the handle, but it was locked. The other two followed him. They tugged and heaved at the door, but it wouldn’t budge, not even when Hermione tried her Alohomora charm.

“Now what?” said Ron.

“These birds…they can’t be here just for decoration,” said Hermione. They watched the birds soaring overhead, glittering — glittering?

“They’re not birds!” Nova said suddenly. “They’re keys! Winged keys — look carefully. So that must mean…” she looked around the chamber while the other two squinted up at the flock of keys. “…yes — look! Broomsticks! We’ve got to catch the key to the door!”

“But there are hundreds of them!” Ron examined the lock on the door. “We’re looking for a big, old-fashioned one — probably silver, like the handle.”

Each of the group seized a broomstic and kicked off into the air, soaring into the misdt of the cloud of keys. They grabbed and snatched, but the beqitched keys darted and dived so quickly it was almost impossible to catch one.

Harry was not the youngest Seeker in a century for nothing.

“That one!” he called to the others. “That big one — there — no, there — with bright blue wings — the feathers are all crumpled on one side.”

Ron went speeding in the direction that Harry was pointing, crashed into the ceiling, and nearly fell off his broom.

“We’ve got to close in on it!” Harry called, not taking his eyes off the key with the damaged wing. “Ron, you come at it from above — Hermione, stay below and stop it from going down and I’ll try and catch it. Nova, you go from the left. Right, NOW!”

Ron dived, Hermione rocketed upward, the key dodged them both. The key slipped right through Nova's fingers and Harry streaked after it; it sped toward the wall, Harry leaned forward and with a nasty, crunching noise, pinned it against the stone with one hand.

The trio's cheers echoed around the high chamber. They landed quickly, and Harry ran to the door, the key struggling in his hand. He rammed it into the lock and turned – it worked. The moment the lock had clicked open, the key took flight again, looking very battered now that it had been caught twice.

“Ready?” Harry asked the other three, his hand on the door handle. They nodded. He pulled the door open.

"Next up on our list of bad choices," Ron shot Nova an irritated look.

"Listen, Ronald," she rolled her eyes. "It was a smart play."

"But there was another way!"

"Not one that wouldn't garuntee victory! You may be one of the best chess players, Ronald Weasley, but so am I!"

"It's been seven years and they're still argueing over this," Hermione complained to Harry.

"Honestly," he agreed.

They were standing on the edge of a huge chessboard, behind the black chessmen, which were all taller than they were and carved from what looked like black stone. Facing them, way across the chamber, were the white pieces. Harry, Nova, Ron and Hermione shivered slightly – the towering white chessmen had no faces.

“Now what do we do?” Harry whispered.

“It’s obvious, isn’t it?” said Ron. “We’ve got to play our way across the room.”

Behind the white pieces they could see another door.

“How?” said Hermione nervously. “I think,” said Ron, “we’re going to have to be chessmen.”

He walked up to a black knight and put his hand out to touch the knight’s horse. At once, the stone sprang to life. The horse pawed the ground and the knight turned his helmeted head to look down at Ron.

“Do we — er — have to join you to get across?”

The black knight nodded. Ron turned to the other two.

“This needs thinking about…” he said. “I suppose we’ve got to take the place of three of the black pieces….”

Harry and Hermione stayed quiet, watching Ron think. Finally he said, “Now, don’t be offended or anything, but neither of you are that good at chess —”

"You've never played a game of chess with me so I see that statement as irrelevent," Nova declared. "Harry take the place of the bishop and Herione go beside him instead of the rook."

"Which one-"

"The castle," Ron nodded.

"What about you?" Harry asked.

"I'm going to be a knight," Ron declared. "Nova?"

She was silent, contemplating between two pieces. The knight and the queen. A queen could move in all directions with very few limits. Yet, she was general the that was targetted the most aside from the king. The knight was a very useful piece as well, good for sneak attacks.

"I'll take the queen," she said with determination, stuffing her hands in the pockets of her leather jacket.

"But, Nox-"

"I know what I'm doing, Ron," she said stubbornly.

The chessmen semed to have been listening, because ar these words, a knight, a bishop, a castle, and the queen turned their backs on the white piees and walked off the board leaving three empty squares.

"White always plays first in chess," Ron declared, peering across the board. "Look!"

A white pawn had moved forward two squares.

Ron started to direct the black peices They moved silently wherever he sent them.

"Harry, move diagonally four squares to the right," Nova stated, cutting Ron off.

While she knew Ron's plan would most likely lead to the ultimate win, she couldn't take the risk of it not working. Nova had another plan. She couldn't deny that Ron was an amazing chess player, but she knew he wouldn't sacrifice his friends' lives. He'd sacrifice himself.

Nova couldn't let that happen.

Remus groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Be a father they said. It'll be fun they said," he murmmered. "Not when your child has a recklessly noble streak!"

Their first real shock came when their other knight was taken. The white queen smashed him to the floor and dragged him off the board, where he lay quite still, facedown.

"Had to let that happen," said Ron, looking shaken. "Leaves yo free to take that biship, Hermione, go on."

Every time one of their men was lost, the white pieces showed no mercy. Soon there was a huddle of limp black players slumper along the wall. Twice, Ron only just noticed in time that Harry, Hermione, and Nova were in danger. He darted arounf the board, taking almost as many white pieces as they had lost black ones.

"We're nearly there," he mutter suddenly. "Let me think-"

"Nova," Hermione asked hesitantly as her friend began to move. "What are you doing?"

Ignoring her, Nova strolled lazily across the board, taking out the white queen before Ron made the sacrifice play.

"Why would you do that?" Ron shouted in protest. "You've walked into a trap-"

"I know damn well what I walked into," she stated. "Sometimes, you've got to make sacrifices. Besides, I'm taking out the biggest threat."

In a normal game of chess, Nova would not have made such a play. Or she might have, depending upon the circumstances.

She looked up at the bishop without any trace of fear. Her jaw was set.

Then she was thrown across the room before hitting the wall with a loud smack. That's all she knew before blacking out.

The group watched as Ron made the next sacrifice play, which lead to Nova glaring at him. They watched as Hermione solved the ridle faster than Lily and Remus had, much to their shock. They watched as Harry fought Quirrell. Quirrell couldn't physically touch Harry without burning. They watched as Harry slowly began to fall unconsious.

They watched as Dumbledore explained how Lily's love had protected Harry from Quirrell.

They watched as Poppy had to quite literally put a body bind curse on Nova to keep her from overworking herself. They watched as Ron admitted to his crush on Nova before saying he saw her as nothing more than a friend anymore, which earned a lot of taunts from the twins. He had also gifted her a lioness stuffed animal.

“Another year gone!” Dumbledore said cheerfully. “And I must trouble you with an old man’s wheezing waffle before we sink our teeth into our delicious feast. What a year it has been! Hopefully your heads are all a little fuller than they were…you have the whole summer ahead to get them nice and empty before next year starts.…

“Now, as I understand it, the house cup here needs awarding, and the points stand thus: In fourth place, Gryffindor, with two hundred and seventy-two points; in third, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two; Ravenclaw has four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and seventy-two.”

A storm of cheering and stamping broke out from the Slytherin table. Harry could see Draco Malfoy banging his goblet on the table. It was a sickening sight.

Beside Harry, Nova was glaring daggers at her cousin.

“Yes, Yes, well done, Slytherin,” said Dumbledore. “However, recent events must be taken into account.”

The room went very still. The Slytherins’smiles faded a little

Nova began to smirk along with the twins, Hermione, Ron, and Harry.

"Hey, Theo," Nova grinned. "Do you remember when you were so sure you were gonna win the House Cup?"

"Fuck off, Nox," Theo groaned.

"I don't remember seeing that conversation," Regulus frowned.

"Well I didn't show you everything, did I?"

“Ahem,” said Dumbledore. “I have a few last-minute points to dish out. Let me see. Yes…

“First — to Mr. Ronald Weasley…” Ron went purple in the face; he looked like a radish with a bad sunburn. “…for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor house fifty points.”

Gryffindor cheers nearly raised the bewitched ceiling; the stars overhead seemed to quiver.

Percy could be heard telling the other prefects, “My brother, you know! My youngest brother! Got past McGonagall’s giant chess set!”

At last there was silence again.

“Second — to Miss Hermione Granger…for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor house fifty points.”

Hermione buried her face in her arms; Harry strongly suspected she had burst into tears. Gryffindors up and down the table were beside themselves — they were a hundred points up.

"Third, to Miss Nova Black...for unflaking determination and willingness to do what need to be done, I award fifty-five points."

Nova was beyond shock. The cheers of her fellow Gryffindors rang through her ears. Despite her shock, she grinned widely.

“Four — to Mr. Harry Potter…” said Dumbledore. The room went deadly quiet. “…for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor house fifety-five points.”

"We're tied with Slytherin," Hermione whispered.

"There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore, smiling. "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to out frineds. I therefore award Mr. Neville Longbottom ten points."

Someone standing outside the Great Hall might well have thought some sort of explosion had taken place, so loud was the noise that erupted from the Gryffindor table. Harry, Nova, Ron, and Hermione stood up to yell and cheer as Neville, white with shock, disappeared under a pile of people hugging him. He had never won so much as a point for Gryffindor before. Harry, still cheering, nudged Ron in the ribs and pointed at Malfoy, who couldn’t have looked more stunned and horrified if he’d just had the Body-Bind Curse put on him.

“Which means,” Dumbledore called over the storm of applause, for even Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff were celebrating the downfall of Slytherin, “we need a little change of decoration.”

He clapped his hands. In an instant, the green hangings became scarlet and the silver became gold; the huge Slytherin serpent vanished and a towering Gryffindor lion took its place. Snape was shaking Professor McGonagall’s hand, with a horrible, forced smile. He caught Harry’s eye and Harry knew at once that Snape’s feelings toward him hadn’t changed one jot. This didn’t worry Harry. It seemed as though life would be back to normal next year, or as normal as it ever was at Hogwarts.

"You must come and stay this summer," said Ron as the quartet walked off of the Hogwarts Express. "All three of you. I'll send you an owl."

Nova didn't have the heart to tell him it was very unlikely she'd be able to go because of how her foster family viewed his.

"It feels weird going home, doesn't it?" Hermione asked.

"No, not really," Harry shook his head.

"It's not home. Not really, not at the Horror House," Nova mumbled.

The plan was to thank Mrs. Weasley in person for the sweater she had knitted Nova, and to great Ginny. The plan was to put the fear of Merlin in the Dursleys. The plan was to wish Mr. and Mrs. Granger a good holdiay. The plan was to kick Fred in his shins for stealing her chocolate.

But alas, most plans never worked out for the Golden Quartet.

Mr. Morgenstern stood several feet away, looking at Nova with disgust. Or, at least, she hoped he was looking at her and not her family.

"Have a good summer," Nova turned to the others, blinking back her tears. "I might not be able to write this summer. Ron, can you thank your mother for me-"

"She already knows you appreciated the gift after the four foot piece of parchment!" Ron laughed.

"Right," Nova faked a grin. "I'll see you guys next year."

She walked away from the trio.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Morgenstern," Nova said pleasently.

"Come, girl," he said, gripping her shoulder harshly.

The moment the two had apparated inside the walls of Morgenstern Manor, Nova was struck in the face.

"I will burn his hand off-" Sirius growled.

"Leave it, Da," Nova shrugged. "They're gone."

Nova was wrong. The Morgensterns weren't gone.

And neither was Greyback.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.4K 747 19
(Rewriting chapters currently) 2018 and a bunch of people that died in either the first or second Wizarding War are now alive? Who's back? And how? H...
57.1K 1.2K 34
When Lily and James Potter wake up one morning, they KNOW something is off. Their street is riddled with Death Eaters and their house is in shambles...
1M 49.2K 97
Bonnie Miller always thought of herself as a coward. After the First Wizarding War, she ran away to America from the terrible truth that all of her f...
306K 14.8K 78
She was thought to be dead by her father and the whole world. They were all wrong. She wakes up from her slumber of fifty years and finds that everyt...