Heart Of Darkness >> Te...

Od writtergirl2

Anna Hale is back and ready for some sort of normalcy in her life, while fighting off whatever comes to the b... Viac

Preface
Anna Hates High School
Derek Does Not Approve
Anna's Social Life
Uncle Peter And Little Annie Making Bets
The Hunter and The Hunted
Stiles And His Virginal Problems
Barely Breathing
Not Going Down Without A Fight
Fixing Broken Ties
Better Than A Baseball Bat
Still Breathing
Last Chance to Live
Haunted Thoughts
Epilogue
Blame Peter
Anna Throwing Sass
Kidnapped Kira
Problem With Black lights
Security System Failure
Missing In Action
Unorthodox Behavior
Author's Note
Nefarious Plans
The Trickster Attacks
Bad Plans In Action
Meeting Malia
Guns Out
Illusions In The Mind
Danger Still Lingers
The Return of Cousin Miguel and Margarita
Enemies Turned Friends
Final Battle Calls
Epilogue
NEWS

Twisting The Knife Into An Already Bleeding Heart

5.9K 184 178
Od writtergirl2

Chapter 8

Listen to: Haunted by Bastile

I was 7 years old chasing after my uncle in the dead of night, he knew my brother was in trouble so I followed them with much of Peter's reluctance to this idea.

He caught the arrow that almost pierced my brother's throat. He picked me up and grabbed Derek and we followed him to a old root cellar, somewhere we hoped the hunter couldn't find us. Peter held us both close to him to keep us safe. I was curled into a ball Peter held me close trying to keep me calm. I remember feeling so terrified.

We were there for two days.

+

It's been two days since Derek took off without a word. I hated to admit it but I was nervous. What if Kali didn't wait until the next full moon and went after Derek while he was alone? She could easily kill him.

I really need to learn how to shut my mouth.

Why did I tell him that?

Why did I have to twist the knife into his already bleeding heart?

God, I hate what a fucking monster I was, to my own family.

What the hell is wrong with Stiles for picking the bitch like me?

I walked down the stairs right when Cora said something about Derek.

“I don't know. There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him.” Cora points out.

“What was he like?” Stiles questions.

I sit down on the steps. “In a word. Unbroken.” I pipe in looking down at the ground.

Peter walks down the stairs. “A lot like Scott, actually. A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic profoundly narcissistic... Tolerable really only to other teenagers.”

“And so what happened? What changed him?” Stiles asks.

“Well, the same thing that changes a lot of young men. A girl.” Peter replies. I looked up I knew exactly what girl he was talking about.

“You're telling me some girl broke his little heart? That's why Derek is the way he is?” Stiles asks incredulously.

I look up glaring at Stiles.

“Did you forget about the freaking fire that murdered almost all of our family? Because that screwed him up pretty freaking bad too Stiles.” I snap.

Stiles looks down unable to look at me. I look down as well. “I'm sorry.” I whisper.

“It's okay.” Stiles mutters.

Peter looked over at me giving me the same look he used to give me when I was little when he knew something was wrong, I looked away from him.

He nodded his head toward me. I got up and stood next to him. “Do you remember Derek before he was an Alpha had blue eyes?” Cora and I nod.

He then turned to look at Stiles. “Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?”

“I just always thought it was, like, a genetic thing.” Stiles replies.

“If you want to know what started the change in Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes.” I state. Peter and I share a look, this was one story I never wanted to retell.

I remembered when Derek first talked to Paige, he liked her from the beginning, she challenged him which he liked and she wasn't afraid to stand up to the popular guys which he respected he was his first love, he never thought his first love would be fatal.

+

We sat on the couches I sat next to Stiles who barely looked at me after my outburst. Add it to my list of things I screwed up today.

“Okay, so if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he? How old were you two? How old are you now?” Stiles questions looking between Peter and I.

“Not as young as we could have been, but not as old as you might think.”

I roll my eyes. “Okay, that was frustratingly vague. How old are you?” Stiles asks Cora. “I'm 17.” Cora replies.

“See, that's an answer. That's how we answer people.” Stiles points out to Peter.

“Well, 17 how you'd measure in years.” Cora adds.

“All right, I'm just gonna drop it.”

“I was 7 and Derek was 15.” I reply while giving Peter a look.

“What happened to Derek and the cello girl?” Stiles inquires.

“What do you think happened? They're teenagers. One minute, it's 'I hate you, don't talk to me.' The next it's frantic groping in any dark corner they could manage to find themselves alone in for five minutes. Their favorite dark corner was an abandoned distillery outside of Beacon Hills.”

Stiles cuts Peter off. “How do you know all this? You just said they were alone.”

“Back then Peter wasn't just me and Derek's uncle. He was our best friend, we were always together, he was our closest confidante. We told him everything.” I reply.

+

I followed Peter through the woods, he held my hand to make sure I stayed close to him. “Why are we following Derek?” I ask.

“To make sure he doesn't shift.” Peter replies.

“Why? Is it because he has hormones?” Peter turns to look at me.

How do you know about those, you're not even eight yet.”

Because I read Derek's textbooks when I get bored.”

“Remind me to hide those.” We go up to the building Peter crouches down, he places a finger to his lips. I nod and stay quiet. After a few moments the sound of footsteps coming toward us alerts Peter.

Peter grabs my shoulder and pulls me behind boxes.

Three packs walk into the distillery. It was the first time I saw Kali, Ennis and Deucalion.

My head shoots up when I hear howling in the distance. I see my mom in her wolf form her beautiful crimson eyes glowing.

I look through the crack and see my mom standing tall, beautiful the way she always was.

“We're not the only people to adhere to rituals thousands of years old.” Mom states.

“Which is no excuse for not evolving.” Deucalion points out.

“They ripped his claws right out of his fingers. How is that evolving? Useless debate. I'm done with it.” Ennis spat.

He walked over to the wall and placed his claws on the metal.

“Ennis, don't. Don't make us part of a historical cliché. With two such powers, it never ends at an eye for an eye. A skirmish becomes a way. Murder becomes a massacre. And we end up no better than out enemies.”

Deucalion used to be a man of vision my mother once said.

+

Peter stood at the window and drew the spiral into the condensation.

“Our mark for vendetta.” Peter explains.

“Man, you guys really take that revenge thing to, like, a whole new level, don't you?” Stiles questions.

I turn to look at him giving him a glare. “I should really stop talking.” He mutters.

I nod in agreement.

“It's not just revenge. Losing a member of your pack isn't like losing family. It's like you lose a limb.” Cora points out.

Cora and I share a look. Did I mention I fucking hate myself recently? I have to find Derek.

“They wouldn't even let him see the body.” Peter informs. Ennis' Beta. The one Derek wanted to replace with Paige.

“I don't get it, what does this have to do with Derek?” My sister interjects.

I sat down at the desk next to Stiles looking at my uncle.

“Everything. It's never just a single moment. It's a confluence of events.” I reply.

“Personally, I looked at Ennis' circumstances, I saw profound loss. Derek saw something different. He saw opportunity.” Peter adds.

“Opportunity to do what?” Stiles asks.

I bite my lip tears burning my eyes. “To always be with her.” I reply.

Derek was always afraid she would find out. I think Peter egged on that fear a bit. But the thought terrified Derek.

“The thing was, he has this constant fear. He was obsessing over it, thinking about it all night, all day. Always on his mind.”

+

Peter and I sat at Derek's lunch table, Peter took me out of school because of parent teacher conferences.

“Why does she eat alone?” I question. Derek's eyes get wide when he sees me.

“What are you doing here? And what is Annie doing out of school, my mom will freak out.” Derek comments.

“Parent teacher conferences today dumbass.” I reply.

“Hey, don't talk like that you're a little kid.” Derek dictates.

“You talk like that.” I argue.

“Because I am idiot who should watch his mouth more around his little sister.” Derek retorts. He smiles at me.

“And by the way I'm just looking out for my favorite niece and nephew, making sure no one has a crossbow aimed at your throats.” Peter interjects.

Derek gives him a look. “You know she's 7 right, you could not mention crossbows.” Derek points out.

“She saw one almost go through your throat I think she can handle it.” Peter argues. I roll my eyes.

They always parented me and bickered about it later.

“I could just get you banned from school grounds. And take Anna home. You know that, right?”

“No one would ban me from anywhere. I'm too good-looking.” I roll my eyes.

“Doesn't she have any friends?” I question.

“A few. But she likes to study during lunch. And I kind of just don't think she likes my friends.”

“No one should like your friends. They're a bunch of hormonal half-wits.” I reply.

This time Peter and Derek both give me a look. “What? They always hit on Laura and make me go get them cookies.” I say.

“I told them to stop that once you threatened to beat them with a pool noodle.” Derek replies.

Peter grabs Derek's candy off of his tray and gives me a piece and he eats the other one. Derek gives us both a look. “Hey, don't give her sugar she's gonna be wired tonight and I'm the one that has to stay up with her when she's like that.” Derek states.

“She's fine.” Peter replies.

“Mommy, Daddy stop fighting I love you both.” I say cutting off the fight. Derek and Peter both give me a look. But then turn back to the original topic.

“But that one over there, she's perfect for you. And perfect combinations are rare in an imperfect world.” Peter states.

Derek goes to stand up. “Annie, I'll meet you at home where we will watch spongebob trying to make you a child again.”

I roll my eyes at my brother. “It would worry me too, though. I'd probably be thinking about it all the time.” Peter states.

“Thinking about what?” Derek inquires.

“Her finding out. You've thought that through, right? You know it always happens. One minute you're in this blissful teen romance, and next, she sees fangs, glowing eyes, claws.”

“Well, now I want to date.” I mutter sarcastically.

“Over my dead body.” Peter replies

“She doesn't have to find out.” Derek argues.

“But they always do. Especially when they're perfect for you. There's only one way to make sure you'll always be together. Turn her.”

+

“I kept telling him not to do it. Every day the more he thought about it, the more convinced he became. You know teenagers. I bet he even blames me. He's probably convinced himself the whole thing was my idea.”

+

“They keep us connected to humanity. But they're a secret even in the pack. Sometimes only the Alpha knows who the emissary is. Derek, Cora and I had no idea about Deaton.” I reply to Stiles' questions about Druids.

Peter comes to stand next to me. “Or his sister, Morell.” Peter adds.

“She's an emissary, too?” Stiles ask incredulously.

“For the Alpha pack.” My uncle replies.

“Our guidance counselor? Why the hell don't you people tell me any of this stuff, huh? I shared some really intimate details with her.” Stiles says flustered.

“Everyone needs a day job.” I point out.

“And did she give you good advice?” Cora cuts in.

“Actually, yeah.” Stiles replies.

“That's what they do. That's what Deaton used to do for Talia.” At the mention of my mother's name I flinch. I clench my fist and take my other hand and cover it having them both up by my face starring out at the window.

They look like they're mother.” Deucalion said.

+

Ennis? Why would you choose him?” Cora questions.

“Why not? Ennis needed a new member for his pack. Paige was young and strong. Doing a favor for Derek meant Ennis would be in good with Talia. Back then, everybody wanted to be in good with her.” Peter replies.

“He doesn't remember it was Ennis, does he?” Stiles asks.

“If he does he keeps it too himself, he never even said anything to me.” I reply.

“So then what happened? Did he turn her?” Stiles asks.

“Almost.” I reply.

“He went at Ennis, a 15-year- old boy against giant monster.” I state my voice catches.

“There was no reason for him to fight. She'd already been bitten.” Peter adds.

“So did she turn?” Cora questions.

“She should have. Most of the time the bite takes. Most of the time.” Peter replies.

“When you offered it to me, you said, 'if it doesn't kill you...'” Stiles starts.

“If.” Peter repeats.

+

Peter and I followed Derek to the root cellar he had Paige in his arms. Tears fell down my face, she way dying.

“What's happening to her?” Derek questions, but he already knew the answer.

+

“He knew the answer, though. It didn't matter that she was young and strong. Some people just aren't meant for this. She fought. She struggled desperately. Trying to survive.”

+

I watched my older brother who always knew what to do, be completely broken, I heard his angered cries. Peter grabbed me and made me look away holding onto me. “It's okay.” He muttered to me, but I knew he was lying Derek was never gonna be okay.

Peter pulled back from me getting me to look at him. “Go get your mom, okay? Derek needs her? Okay?”

But what about Derek?” I question shakily tears still falling down my face.

He'll be okay, go Anna right now.”

I ran home as fast as I could. “Mom!” I called my mom walked outside. “What's wrong sweetie?” She asked.

“It's-- It's Derek.” I reply in a soft voice.

“Where is he?” She asks. I grab her hand and pull her along with me.

+

I remember taking her body from his arms, to the woods, to a place where I knew that it would be found. Another in a long line of Beacon Hills animal attacks.”

I sniffled and wiped away a angered tear. Stiles hand found my and he interlocked our fingers.

“And what about Derek?” Cora questions her eyes filled with tears. I bite my lip.

“Taking an innocent life takes something from you as well. Bit of your soul. Darkening it. Dimming the once, golden yellow to a cold, steel blue like mine.” Peter glows his eyes.

I look down. Peter and Derek both had a permanent dark mark on them.

+

Derek came home and locked himself in his room. Peter was tucking me into bed. “Uncle Peter?” I say.

“Yeah Annie?”

“Is Derek gonna be okay?” He doesn't answer at first. But then he slowly nods.

“Yeah. He'll be okay. Just give him some time.” He kisses my forehead and walks out. I turn on my side, I then get up out of bed and padded my way over to Derek's room. I knocked on the door.

“Go away Anna.” Derek calls.

I knock on the door again. “I said go away Anna!” He pulls the door open. I wrap my arms around his torso, he stiffens up. “I'm sorry.” I whisper.

He picks me up and hugs me. “It's okay.” He replies but it comes out choked.

“You're still the best brother in the world.” I mutter.

+

I looked out the window, my leg tapping on the ground. I had to find him, I had to bring him home.

But first I had to fix other things. I walked over to Stiles. “I need to talk to you.” I mutter.

He nods. I grab his hand and I pull him upstairs with me.

“Annie no boys in your bedroom, I told you not until I'm dead.” Peter calls.

“You were briefly dead at one point so it counts.” I retort.

I shut my door and lock it. I sit on the bed and Stiles sits next to me.

I sit across from him my legs cris crossed. “I'm really sorry.” I state.

“It's okay.” He replies. I shake my head.

“No, no it's not. I didn't mean to get angry with you. I just hate myself so much sometimes that I take it out on you and I don't mean too.”

I take his hand. “I really wish I could be a better person for you, I can't even comfort my brother anymore after he was forced to kill someone, all I ever do it twist the knife and I hate the monster I've become. Derek should have dropped me off in some orphanage somewhere and got on with his life.”

My lip quivers from trying to stop myself from crying. Stiles pulls me against him. “You're not a monster. Just beautifully broken.” He kisses me forehead. I look up at him.

“Remind to never let you go, because I will never find anyone as good as you.” He smiles.

After a moment. I break the silence. “I need your help with something.”

+

Stiles let me take his jeep to where I thought Derek was but I had to stop at the school first.

I went over to the school sign. I flicked out my claws and twisted them into the lock.

The sign moved and I walked down into the vault. I walked around. I found my mother's jar. That tea nearly gagged me and Derek.

I put it down. I reached for the wooden box and grabbed the triskele talisman. “I'm sorry Mom.” I whisper. I should have been a better daughter I should have been a better sister. This is not who I wanted to be. I didn't want to be a monster.

I had to find my brother and make this right.

I slipped it into my jacket pocket then I went back to the jeep and went to the distillery.

I saw the carved spiral in the metal. I caught Derek's scent. I walked into the distillery.

“This was a bad place to try and hide.” I state as I walked in. Derek had his back to me and didn't even bother turning around.

“Go home Anna.” Derek orders in a monotone.

“No.” I cross my arms over my chest. I walk up to him and I stand in front of him, I stand straight and tall looking up at him.

“What do you want?” He asks.

“I want you to come home.” I reply.

He looks away from my eyes. “Derek.” I say.

“I don't know what to do anymore.” He admits.

“What do you mean?” I question.

“I'm sick of screwing up and getting people hurt.”

“Derek, everyone screws up.”

He looks away from me.
“I didn't mean what I said.” I point out.

“Then why did you say it?” He snaps.

“Because I'm a bitch and I say things I should never say to you. And I feel horrible after but I don't have enough balls to apologize when I'm lucky you didn't drop me off somewhere and lived your own life.”

“I would never do that, your my sister.”

“More like mom would come back and haunt your ass.”

“Maybe she already does.” He sits down against the wall.

I sit down in front of him, his hand goes through his hair. For a minute none of us say anything, I don't know what to say.

“You can't out run ghosts.” I say finally.

He just looks down.

“Derek, I can't have you leave me again. I thought Kali killed you.”

“I didn't mean to worry you.” He mutters. He looks up at me and I notice how sad and angry he looks.

I move next to him. I put my head on his shoulder. I pull out the triskele and hand it to him. “Mom would be really proud of you. You're still the best brother in the world even though you piss me off a lot.” I state.

“We will never be able to out run our ghosts will we?” He asks.

“Nope. We're just haunted.” He puts his arm around my shoulder.

  I reallly think this is my favorite chapter of Anna's story.

So this is more of what Anna and Peter were like.

Again my plans for the next few chapters are gonna be in third person with a lot of flashbacks.

What was your favorite part of this chapter?

That's all for now :)

Mackenzie Foy as Young Anna Hale

Comment, Vote, Follow :)      

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

1.3M 37K 125
**COMPLETED*** Coming back to Beacon Hills with her brother, Blake Hale obviously knew they came back for a reason. But she wasn't exactly prepared t...
15.8K 234 44
After the events that involved her uncle. Isabelle figured everything or almost everything would be smooth sailing from then. She was wrong. Now th...
16.3K 399 65
Lucy Moore and her brother move back to their hometown, Beacon Hills. This town holds secrets waiting to be uncovered, and when they do, what will ha...
32.6K 993 24
Humans think she's the niece of a cop, who's parents were tragically killed. The Argents think she's one of them. And a select few in Beacon Hills th...