FireSweet

By AndreanaRiot

"My name changed before my eyes, the paper before me read "Welcome Gittoran Scarlet", I felt a searing pain i... More

Effugere
People like Pipit
Blood Thicker than Water, NOT
Storm Struck
Marked for Deception
Dreaded Standard
All Natural
New Kid
Focus Frenzy
Raid and Revenge
Gold's Lust
Call me a Liar
Conclave
Names and Chocolate
Not a Common Vagabond
Think Again
Night's Compass
Moments of Morality
A Living Legend
Flint and a few sparks
A new ring of power
FIRESWEET!!!!!
A Sign
Never trust a pirate
Sing to me softly
A personal rain cloud
Heat of the sun
One Chance
Better a cannonball than a rose
Flat of the Blade
Sweet Irony
More than Surprises
Maji's Story
Red Tips and Yellow Irises
Two Steps Forward
My Ship
Inferno
Plots and Preparation
A Dagger's Destiny
The Truth about the Prophesy
No Mistake

Pink Ninja Band

363 18 1
By AndreanaRiot

We were walking along a stone path near the riverside.  The flow was swollen, threatening to spill over the side of the bank.  I shuddered against the lingering cold of the wind, but smiled as I looked at the beauty around me.  I could see the buds of green on the trees, pricks of new grass showing through the loam.  It was springtime.  My arm was looped through Briamy’s, the tinkling sound of her laugh stretching my features to a smile. 

                “He actually believed your brother would agree to let him see you?” she asked.

                I nodded, joining her laughter with my own.  “He was confident, saying things about a secure future and many, many children.”

                “Because that’s what every brother wants to hear in regards to his sister,” a softer voice giggled.

                “Gorgeous, don’t start a sentence with ‘because’,” Briamy corrected.

                I ignored the chastisement, keeping the tone light as I leaned around Briamy, smiling at the younger red-headed girl who had her arm looped through Briamy’s.  “Have you ever met my brother?” I asked.

                She shook her head shyly, dropping her gaze before answering.  “He sounds protective.”

                “Protective is an understatement,” I said.  “I believe that if Lord Pipit himself chose a suitor for me that my brother would still slam the door in his face.”

                “What about the High Lord?” Briamy added.

                “High Lord?” I asked.

                “I keep forgetting this is your first year,” Briamy said apologetically.  “The High Lord is the man in charge of Effugere, Lord Pipit is only acting in his stead.  It’s the High Lord who actually makes all of the decisions around here.”

                “This is my second year,” the red head chimed.  “And I’ve never heard of him.  How do you know?”

                “Lord Pipit came into my calligraphy class,” Briamy explained.  “He told the instructor, Lady Isabella, that she was to integrate typing into the curriculum.  Before she could open her mouth, Lord Pipit said ‘High Lord’s orders’, and left without another word.  Lady Isabella began to teach typing the very next day.”

                “It sounds a bit cliché,” I said.  “With all of our instructors being ladies, and the men’s instructors being lords, that the man in charge would be the high lord.”

                “Effugere runs on clichés,” the red-head cheered.  “Everyone finds a home in Effugere!”

                I woke smiling from the flashover, stretching luxuriously as I reached for my blades.  It was the first time I had felt human in one of the flashovers, the first time I didn’t want to scream at myself to act differently. 

                A knock sounded from the door and I grinned, assuming it was Briamy.  It was always Briamy.  Yet as I opened the door, it wasn’t Briamy, but Flint who almost fell through my doorway. 

                “Morning Flame!” he said as he regained his balance.  “I brought you breakfast!  Or, I tried to; I didn’t know what you would eat… so I brought you an apple and some toast.”

                I rolled my eyes and took the food from him.  “What’s this about?” I asked around a mouthful of toast.

                “Iwanttotrainwithyoutodayifyournotbusydoingotherthings,” he rushed out.

                “We haven’t gotten around to doing that much have we?” I said slowly, trying to remember what I had covered last with the boy.

                “Not ever really,” he said softly.  “I mean there was the one time where you took me with you to the rogues, and that was really cool, but nothing else.”

                “Then I’ve been slacking,” I agreed.  “Obsidarian used to train with me almost every day, and here I’ve been neglecting my own student.”

                “Who’s Obsidarian?” Flint asked.

                I sighed and shook my head,   “You haven’t met him yet?  He’s the only guy who can rival Fame in size and strength…”        

                “The big black guy?” Flint interrupted.  “I’ve seen him fight down in the gym.  He’s amazing!  You trained under him?  That’s why you’re so good even though this is your first year right?  Am I going to get that good too?”

                “We will see,” I answered, trying to think of a way to make the day more bearable.  I knew I needed to train the boy, but he was going to drive me crazy if he kept bombarding me with questions.  I needed someone else to help me.

                “Briamy,” I whispered.

                “What about her?” Flint asked.

                “I want to bring her along to your training,” I explained.  “There’s something I promised I would help her with, something only I can help her with properly, and I haven’t been keeping up with that either.  I’m hoping that I can work with both of you today.”

                “Flame,” he said carefully.  “She’s not here.”

                “What do you mean she’s not here?” I snapped.

                “Mají-jalio ordered her and the other girls off the ship last night.  He said their replacements were late and that Carnie had three days to send in the new workers or he would raid the camp.”

                “Captain,” I corrected. 

                “What?” he said, confusion written all over his face.

                “You are at the bottom of the food chain kid,” I laughed.  “You don’t have the right to run around and address your superiors without their title.  Show some respect.  It’s Captain Mají-jalio to you, and you may as well say Captain Carnie as well.”

                “They don’t own me,” he hissed.

                I stopped laughing, studying the now stormy expression on Flint’s face.  I had never seen him this determined, even when he was pledging his loyalty.

                “Look at your hands,” he said. 

                “They’re the same as they have been since my first day in the game,” I shrugged.  “Bound in crimson, black, and hot pink, they prove my loyalty.”

                “To Mají-jalio,” he finished.  “He is your captain, but not mine, never mine.”

                “He is your king,” I countered.

                “He is the King of Pirates,” Flint retorted.  “But I don’t want to be a pirate.  I’m a thief.”

                “In Griffon’s name,” I sighed.

                “Train me as a thief my queen,” he continued, stepping closer to me.  “Mark me as belonging to you, as all captains mark their crew.”

                “I’m not a captain,” I protested.

                “I am unmarked my queen,” he insisted.  “I want to wear your colors.”

                “I have no colors!” I said, tossing my hands up in frustration.  “Because I’m not a captain.”

                “Then the hot pink among the colors around your hand is not one unique to you?” he asked.

                I had no witty retort for that one.  Flint was right.  I narrowed my eyes at him, edging away from him and toward the trunk at the foot of my bed.

                “If I agree to this,” I said slowly.  “You have to listen to everything I say.  Understood?”

                “Agreed,” he said quickly.  “I already do that my queen.”

                “And you can’t end every sentence with ‘my queen’,” I added.

                He nodded eagerly, and I rummaged through my things, pulling out a long strip of hot pink cloth and tossing it at him.

                “Tie that on wherever,” I instructed, opening the door to my room and walking out.  “We are going to see the captain, and if you must address him, you will address him properly.”

                He grinned, tying the strip of cloth around his forehead like a six-year-old pretending to be a ninja, the tails of the cloth hanging down to tickle the back of his neck.  He shut the door and hurried after me, managing to make twice the noise needed on every step.

                “Lesson one,” I sighed.  “Thieves make no noise.  I want you to walk so quietly that I forget you are behind me.”

                I rapped on Mají’s door, waiting only a few seconds before he opened it.  He was scowling at first, but immediately began to smile as he saw me.

                “My morning just got better,” he laughed, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me against his body.  “You miss me already?” he teased.

                “The queen has business with you,” Flint growled.

                I turned from Mají’s embrace and glared pointedly at my pupil.

                “My king…” he grudgingly added.

                Mají looked down at me and smiled.  “Please tell me that ridiculous thing was not your idea,” he said, gesturing to Flint’s ninja band.

                I shrugged, “He wants to be a thief.  But he is right about why I’m here.  Why did you send all of the girls away, why is it so important?”

                “Why does it matter that I did?” he countered.  “And besides, I didn’t send ALL of them away.  I kept the healer, your student’s step-sister.”

                “I have… business, with one of the girls,” I said slowly.

                “Ahhh,” he said thoughtfully.  “I’m assuming you mean the one who had your queenblade.  She’s a friend of yours then?”

                I nodded, figuring that he knowing I was friends with Briamy was better than him knowing about her power.

                “You can come with me then,” he said quickly, smiling and grabbing my hand in his.  “Bring the kid if you must.  I was just about to head over to Carnie’s camp and talk to her.  While you are there you can ask your friend if she wants to return here for the rest of the year.  Whatever makes you happy Gittoran.”

                He leaned down and kissed my cheek, whispering “We need to look for the blood diamond while we’re there, just in case,” before he moved his mouth away.

                I nodded and glanced at Flint, not missing the roll of his eyes.

                “We will train when we get back with Briamy,” I promised Flint.

                “But you don’t have to come,” Mají added quickly.  “It’ll be boring anyway, no explosions.”

                “You can come along if you want,” I corrected, sending Mají an irritated look.  “Though Mají may be right about not being able to learn much if it’s the three of us.”

                “I’ll just… leave you two alone I guess,” Flint said slowly.

                Flint looked away, his shoulders drooping in disappointment as he turned to walk below deck.  I dropped Mají’s hand, holding up a finger to show that he I would be back.  I caught up to Flint as he reached the stairs. 

                “I’ll make it up to you,” I apologized.  “And until I’m back you can learn the basics, maybe from Obsidarian.  Would you like that?”

                Flint’s eye’s shone, a smile creeping back onto his face.  I put my hand on his shoulder and steered him down the stairs and to the gym.  Obsidarian was already in there, wrestling with Fame.  I walked up to the edge of the ring, but neither guy noticed me.

                “Hey,” I said.

                The match continued.  Obsidarian was snarling and had his arms looped through Fame’s trying to gain control of the blonde man.  But Fame’s arms were too strong, and both men strained in a stalemate.

                “Hey!” I called louder. 

                Still no response, I fished a coin out of my leather bag and tossed it on the ground next to me.  As the coin touched the ground, both men looked up and dove toward the coin, knocking me aside in their fight for the gold.

                “IN GRIFFON’S NAME!” I yelled.

                The men stopped their fight, looking toward me in shock.

                “Stupid pirates,” I mumbled.

                Fame held out his hand and I took it, letting him pull me to my feet. 

                “I’m here to speak with Obsidarian,” I said cooly.

                Obsidarian turned to Fame, “If the captain asks, she approached me”.

                Fame nodded and Obsidarian, satisfied, turned his attention to me.  “It’s been a few months Flame, what do you want?”

                “A favor,” I said carefully.  “This is Flint, he’s my student.”

                Flint stepped from his place near the stairs to my side, extending his hand to shake Obsidarian’s.  Obsidarian sized Flint up, finally giving me a skeptical look.

                “I’m going to assume that he has a power Flame, if not then you’ve picked a poor pupil.”

                “I saved his life,” I said evenly.

                “And now you’re stuck with him,” Obsidarian laughed.  “I see.”

                “What would it take for you to train him in the rapier?” I asked.  “Only for the afternoon?”

                “I’ll trade a session for a session,” he smirked.  “I’ve missed working with you Piratess.  I’d love to see what you can do with your fire now, without mint of course.”

                “No gold?” I asked skeptically.

                “Nowhere decent to spend it but the conclave,” he answered.   “Deal?”

                “Deal,” I agreed.  “Don’t kill him.”

                Obsidarian motioned Flint into the ring and Fame sat near the foot of the staircase.  I smiled at the guys and returned to the deck.

                “Took you long enough,” Mají said. 

                “I felt bad, he was excited about today.  I’ve been doing a poor job of training him.” I said softly.

                “Only because I’ve been stealing your time away,” Mají laughed.  “Don’t worry about it.  You will make up for it.”

                He knocked the rope ladder down and climbed over the side of the ship, heading off into the forest.  I clambered down after him, catching up in a few steps. 

                “Do you really think Carnie has the blood diamond?” I asked.  “Wouldn’t you have found out if she did?”

                “I’m tired of hunting,” he admitted.  “We’ve been at it for over a year, Jumé, Fame, and I, and we have found nothing in all of our stealth.  This is Fame’s last year, and I’d like to find the blood diamond before he leaves.  Forget stealth and secrecy.  I will tear down every camp to get my hands on the diamond.  We’ve been through Storm’s camp.  I don’t think it’s in there, now we can go knock Carnie off of the list too.”

                “And then who?” I asked.

                “Vinyé, he’s the closest to the compound and we have a conclave coming up soon.  We can set an ambush for the crew.  And if we threaten to set fire to that stupid tree he built his camp under then he should cooperate.  Vinyé never had much of a spine.” He said.

                “Mají…” I said slowly.  “What if it’s in the compound?”

                “It can’t be,” he said quickly.  “The place is covered in magical enchantments and traps.  The door won’t open except on conclave nights and the back rooms are only for the women.  Any man who tries to go back there dies, collapses into a pile of colored dust.”

                “But what if it is?” I asked.

                “Then it’s lost to the ages,” he sighed.  “Nothing that goes in there ever comes out.”

                “I could get it for you,” I offered.

                “If, and only if, it’s even in there, as a last resort.” he said.

                “I’ll be fine,” I laughed.  “I can take care of myself.  I’ll sneak in and out before Vidan even knows I’m there.”

                “Last time you went in there on your own you ended up unconscious in Tempest Storm’s camp.  And I had to drag you out, is that taking care of yourself?”

                “They got lucky,” I grumbled.  “The Griffon knocked me out for them.”

                “You fought the Griffon?” he asked.

                “No,” I corrected.  “He knocked me out after he made me Queen of Thieves, the same way we’re knocked out when we enter the game.”

                Mají stopped walking for a moment, glancing around carefully before moving again.

                “We’re close,” he said softly. 

                They were ready for us when we arrived, a group of girls standing in the entrance to the camp.  Carnie stood in front of them, her black eyes narrowed in anger.  Briamy’s eyes between Mají and I, her hand resting lightly on Carnie’s upper arm, reading her captain’s thoughts.

                “That’s close enough,” Carnie said when we were fifteen feet away.  “Why are you here Mají-jalio?  Have you finally tired of the girl and come to give her to me?”

                “No,” Mají snarled, possessively catching my hand in his.  “I have matters to discuss with you Carnation, about the girls who haven’t been sent to my camp”

                “We have discussed those already,” she hissed.  “They will come no more, as you have broken our agreement.” 

                She drew a broken dagger from a sheath on her belt, tilting the sheath to slide the second half of the ruined blade into her hand.  She threw the pieces at Mají’s feet.

                “This snapped when you broke our agreement,” she said coldly.  “Show me again what you wear around your neck now?”

                Mají glared at the other captain, reaching carefully into his shirt and drawing out the triangular red stone that represented my agreement with him.  He held it out for Carnie to see, the palm of his hand against the back of the stone.

                “And what has that done for you?” she snarled.  “Was it worth it?”

                “It soothed old paranoia,” Mají said carefully.  “And has recently become worth it.”

                “Is this all you wanted?” Carnie asked.  “Or did you come here to gloat over your upcoming raid?”

                “I’m looking for the blood diamond,” Mají said flatly.  “And Gittoran wants a friend of hers to come back with us to the ship.”

                “No crew member of mine will willingly go back to serve you,” she warned.

                “And if it wasn’t servitude?” Mají offered.  “She could stay with Gittoran.”

                “It will then be the girl’s decision,” Carnie said slowly.  “Now, about the raid….”

                “I will leave your crew be if I can search your camp for the blood diamond now.  You have said before that you do not have it… but Carnation, you are a pirate after all.  Never trust a pirate.”

                “You have thirty minutes Mají-jalio,” she said tersely.  “Thirty minutes.”

                Mají rushed forward to search the camp, and Briamy ran up to me.

                “I was afraid you’d….” she began.

                “I promised I wouldn’t tell him,” I said soothingly.  “I’ll stand by that.  I’m a thief, not a pirate Briamy; you can trust me, that’s what best friends are for.”

                “Thanks,” she said softly, hugging me tightly.  “I’ll go back with you if you want.”

                “I still said I’d help you train with that power of yours,” I laughed.  “Maybe I can finally get around to that now.  And you can carry a weapon on the ship.”

                “I don’t own one” she whispered.

                I took the red-hilted dagger out of my belt and pressed it into her hands.  “Now you do.”

                She smiled and shook her head slowly, slipping the dagger into the ragged cloth she was using as a belt. 

                “I’ll probably never use it,” she warned.

                I shrugged, glancing to the opening of Carnie’s camp, wondering how the girl captain was keeping time without a watch.

                “She’s counting in her head,” Briamy whispered, answering my question.  “I can hear it from here.”

                I nodded, moving toward the camp.  “You head back to the ship,” I said.  “I’m going to help Mají.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 543 12
"Oh Grell~ I'll make you mine one day~ Just you wait and see,sweetie~ I just need to get rid of everybody who get in our way...expectantly that disgu...
66K 2.7K 41
She hated pirates and her Father, that's why she was a marine. She was well known for her 100% execution rate in exterminating pirates. Now, a very d...
72.6K 2.8K 16
Captain Gajeel Redfox is one of the toughest pirates across the seven seas, a ruthless treasure hunter who was surrounded by the sea for as long as h...
5.9K 140 31
Liza Micheal's has a stutter, an eating disorder and self harms. Liza is a fourteen year old gay kid and no one really cares about her anymore, then...