Finding Truth Amongst The Lies

Af AiraXue

What if Ash was recruited into an elite spy training program before he ever traveled through the Kalos region... Mere

Chapter 1: Ash's POV
Chapter 2: Serena's POV
Chapter 3: Ash's POV
Chapter 4: Serena's POV
Chapter 5: Ash's POV
Chapter 6: Serena's POV
Chapter 7: Ash's POV
Chapter 8: Serena's POV
Chapter 9: Serena's POV
Chapter 10: Serena's POV
Chapter 11: Ash's POV
Chapter 12: Ash's POV
Chapter 13: Serena's POV
Chapter 14: Serena's POV
Chapter 15: Ash's POV
Chapter 16: Ash's POV
Chapter 17: Ash's POV
Chapter 18: Serena's POV
Chapter 19: Serena's POV
Chapter 20: Serena's POV
Chapter 21: Serena's POV
Chapter 22: Ash's POV
Chapter 23: Serena's POV
Chapter 24: Ash's POV
Chapter 25: Ash's POV
Chapter 26: Serena's POV
Chapter 27: Serena's POV
Announcement
Chapter 28: Serena's POV
Chapter 29: Multiple POV's
Chapter 30: Serena's POV
Chapter 31: Serena's POV
Chapter 32: Serena's POV
Chapter 33: Ash's POV
Chapter 34: Multiple POV's
Chapter 35: Multiple POV's
Chapter 36: Ash's POV
Chapter 37: Aryan's POV
Chapter 38: Ash's POV
Chapter 39: Multiple POV's
Chapter 40: Ash's POV
Chapter 41: Serena's POV
Chapter 42: Ash's POV
Chapter 43: Serena's POV
Chapter 44: Ash's POV
Chapter 45: Multiple POV's
Chapter 46: Ash's POV
Chapter 47: Bree's POV
Chapter 48: Aryan's POV
Chapter 49: Multiple POV
Chapter 50: Neptune's POV
Chapter 51: Serena's POV
Chapter 52: Multiple POV
Chapter 53: Multiple POV's
Chapter 54: Neptune's POV
Chapter 56: Serena's POV
Chapter 57: Bree's POV
Chapter 58: Multiple POV's
Chapter 59: Ash's POV
Chapter 60: Multiple POV's
Chapter 61: Multiple POV's
Chapter 62: Neptune's POV
Chapter 63: Multiple POV's
Story Summary
Chapter 64: Bree's POV
Chapter 65: Aryan's POV
Announcement. NOT a Chapter

Chapter 55: Multiple POV's

601 35 76
Af AiraXue

Ash's POV

Not taking any chances, I had locked my door and then locked myself in the bathroom before stuffing a towel under the crack of the bathroom door before finally turning on my communication device that was hooked directly to Director Falon's line. Nervous energy made me tap the floor impatiently as the device took its sweet time to connect. When the screen finally blinked into an image of Director Falon I didn't even wait to hear her normal greeting.

"A month!" I whisper yelled, feeling the panic and despair rolling around inside me ever since Neptune had let this bomb drop in her office earlier today. Director Falon blinked at my outburst and I shook my head to try and clear my thoughts.

"Director Falon, Neptune told me today that preparations for destroying this world will be over in a MONTH. We have to move now!"

Director Falon's eyes widened but her expression remained impassive. She turned away from the monitor and I thought I saw her reaching for something as if she were jotting down notes.

"Tell me exactly what you heard, Agent Ketchum," Director Falon said seriously.

"There's nothing else to tell, Director," I said in frustration, gripping my free hand in a fist as I cursed my uselessness. "She still hasn't told me how she plans to bring about the destruction of the world. All I know is that she said she should have everything ready within a month."

Director Falon frowned slightly, but then nodded and I could hear the faint sound of a pen tapping against a pad of paper. "I'll start moving our agents into position. This will be a critical time for us Agent Ketchum. You must do everything you can to discover her plan before time is up."

I opened my mouth with the intent of arguing, but Director Falon silenced me with a hard stare. To my surprise, she let out a small sigh and leaned back from the monitor.

"Do not misunderstand me, Agent Ketchum. Even if we do not have the full picture, we will make our move in three weeks. But if there is ANY possibility that we can take them down and keep them from ever attempting this again then we have a duty for the safety of the world to see this through."

All of my fight escaped me and I felt my shoulders slump as I nodded silently in agreement. I could feel Pikachu patting my leg in a comforting gesture and without even looking I reached out and rubbed his head.

"Is there anything else you need to report, Agent?" Director Falon asked. Her voice was as monotone as ever, but I could see that the corners of her eyes were pinched and I was glad that she finally seemed to grasp just how serious the situation had become. My body tensed at her question and I could feel guilt and worry bubbling up inside me.

"Yes, Director, there is," I said firmly.

My worst fear had come to pass and now Serena could potentially be in danger because of me. I had no idea what had possessed Neptune to want to take me to a pokemon contest and I didn't WANT to think about what had happened after she had kicked Pikachu out of her office, but I forced myself to explain what had happened. I also told her exactly why I was concerned about the potential of Neptune seeing Serena perform and realizing that the pokemon I was supposed to have killed all those months ago was now Serena's partner.

Director Falon listened without interrupting and after I had finished I bowed my head, ready to accept whatever scolding she deemed necessary for dragging a civilian into this situation. Long seconds passed by and I looked up, confused as to the meaning of Director Falon's silence. To my surprise, I saw that Director Falon had closed her eyes and seemed more conflicted than I had ever seen her. I held my breath, wondering what was going through her mind right now. After a good long while, Director Falon slowly opened her eyes and nodded at me.

"You mentioned that Detective Aryan was a mutual friend of this civilian you have been helping?" Director Falon asked without giving away any of her emotions. I nodded quickly, not sure why she had brought up Aryan, but hopeful that it could only be good.

Director Falon nodded and slowly brought her hand up to rest her fingers on her chin in a picture of deep thought. For some reason, I started holding my breath as I waited for her to speak her mind.

"I will have to discuss this with the other leaders of this project, but I believe it will be to everyone's benefit for us to include Detective Aryan in our plans. Since he is already a friend of this coordinator then it would be best for him to approach her and dissuade her from participating in contests for the next little while." I let out a sigh of relief at her decision but was surprised when I felt a small twinge of jealousy that Aryan would be the one to protect Serena.

"On another topic," Director Falon said, pulling me from my inner thoughts, "Do you understand the implications of what Neptune brought up in her office with you?"

My entire body stiffened at that question. It took all of my willpower not to shudder as I recalled Neptune's strange behavior and then the kiss she had left on my cheek. Those stupid behavioral classes on flirting had been running through my head ever since I had booked it out of her office but I still hadn't actually voiced what I thought about the whole thing.

"I wish I didn't," I responded through clenched teeth. Director Falon's lips pulled down in a tiny grimace before her normally impassive expression was back in full force.

"This was not within our expectations... Honestly, I didn't think you would be someone who would attract a woman like Neptune," Director Falon said bluntly and I snorted, this time not able to keep from shuddering.

"I wasn't TRYING to attract her!" I whisper yelled in disgust. Director Falon nodded in acknowledgment of what I said but she did not show any of the disgust that was roiling through me.

"Be that as it may, this may be the best way for you to get more detailed information before we run out of time." Director Falon spoke slowly and firmly and I almost choked at how seriously she was looking at me.

"You're joking..." I said desperately, hoping that for once in a blue moon Director Falon would smile and chuckle at her own joke. That dream was not to come true though as Director Falon's expression remained a blank slate and she slowly shook her head.

"I understand this is asking a lot of you, Agent Ketchum. You were not prepared for a scenario like this and I am sure your personal feelings will be difficult to ignore," Director Falon said slowly and I let out an even louder snort at that.

"'Difficult to ignore'? She's the leader of an evil organization bent on destroying the world and who tortures pokemon with a smile on her face! I can't fake having romantic feelings for someone like that! I'd hurl if she tries to kiss me again!" I whispered vehemently at the screen that still showed Director Falon's face without any change in expression whatsoever throughout my argument. Pikachu was looking decidedly green on his spot on the bathroom floor next to me and I grimaced, almost wishing he hadn't come in for this briefing.

"I understand that," Director Falon said and, surprisingly, she sounded like she really did. It made me wonder if she might have had to do something similar when she had been in the field. "But if there is even a remote chance that this will help her give you the entire plan, then there isn't a choice."

I flinched at that and Pikachu suddenly jumped onto my lap and began arguing vehemently, flailing his little arms in the air and making faces to show just how scary Neptune could be. Director Falon, as always, remained expressionless throughout his tirade. However, she did not interrupt him, although I was sure she wasn't understanding half of what he was saying, and when he finally finished his shoulders were moving up and down violently as he puffed for breath. Director Falon bowed her head for a moment before looking past Pikachu and focusing on me.

"We must never allow personal feelings to come between fulfilling our duty, Agent Ketchum. It is unfortunate, but as your commanding officer I am giving you a new order." Pikachu and I both flinched at her tone that allowed for no argument. "If Neptune attempts to seduce you, then you are hereby ordered to go along with it."

My entire body went cold at Director Falon's words and I felt a horrified shiver going up my spine.

"Director... this can't be necessary..." I choked out as Pikachu slumped down on my lap and bowed his head in defeat.

"There isn't much time, Agent Ketchum," Director Falon said with a sad frown on her face. "Do whatever it takes to find out Neptune's plan. Do you understand your orders?"

My mouth was frozen shut as I desperately tried to think of some way out of this disgusting situation. As I thought of Neptune inviting me to her room and then kissing my cheek after laughing at me, I could hardly keep my upset stomach from rejecting whatever was in it. Then surprisingly, my mind conjured up the image of Serena's sky blue eyes filled with admiration as she looked at me. The memory of when I had kissed the rim of her beanie because she had seemed sad to say goodbye to me played through my mind and I felt my shoulders slump in defeat.

That's the real problem then, I thought numbly to myself. I don't want to do that kind of thing with anyone but Serena... but if Neptune kicks me out of Team Galactic because I refuse her again then I may not be able to save the world before Serena and everyone else I care about is destroyed.

Letting out a long sigh of defeat, I forced myself to nod in Director Falon's direction. "I understand my orders, Director." The words seemed to sting my throat as I forced them out, but as I said them I knew that there was nothing I could do. I closed my eyes and once again Serena's happy, carefree expression seemed to fill up the space behind my closed lids.

How could she ever forgive me for this? I wondered numbly to myself as I accepted what I would have to do.

"I don't have to try and seduce her though... do I?" I asked, almost surprised at how numb my voice sounded. Director Falon looked into my eyes and then slowly shook her head.

"No. From her reaction to you not understanding what her invitation implied, it seems that she finds your innocence charming. If you were to suddenly hit on her it may create the opposite effect that we are seeking."

At least there's that, I thought to myself, but it really didn't help that much.

"Do you have any other orders for me, Director?" I asked politely. She shook her head.

"Hold strong until the end, Agent. We almost have them."

I couldn't even force myself to smile. I just nodded mutely and logged off our secure connection. Pikachu looked up at me from his spot on my lap and I let out another long sigh.

"This is not what I signed up for, Pikachu," I said, my whole body beginning to feel numb. "Why can't it just be like when I was a kid and we just beat down on the bad guys when they were being bad?"

"Pika pikachu pi," Pikachu agreed with me while his ears pressed tightly against his skull in a classic look of despondency. I stroked his head tiredly and slowly pushed myself off the bathroom floor. Pikachu scrambled up to my shoulder and after removing the towel I had shoved under the door I walked over to my bed.

Before collapsing into it though, I turned to look up at the ceiling. This week I had stashed my backpack with all of the evidence of who I really was up in the hole in the ceiling where the lights were positioned. It had been difficult to remove the light and then replace it exactly as it had been, but it was worth it to keep everything safe. Thinking of the pokemon waiting patiently in their pokeballs for the day I might need them slowly calmed me down.

"It's just a few more weeks," I said quietly to Pikachu, who had jumped from my shoulder and onto the bed. He looked up at me and I nodded down at him before laying down and wrapping myself in the blankets. "It'll all be over in a few weeks."

Aryan's POV

I drummed my fingers in a random rhythm as I waited for Chief Vik to come into the conference room. His summons had been unexpected, but honestly, I had been kind of in limbo since my fight with Pikachu boy so I hadn't questioned it. I couldn't shake the feeling that he was connected somehow with the Ash Ketchum that I had researched, but I didn't know how to move forward since I only had my hunch to go off of.

The click of the door opening pulled me from my musings and I looked over and blinked when an unfamiliar person in a black suit walked in. I narrowed my eyes warily at the stranger but he just closed the door and walked over, extending a hand to me to shake.

"Detective Aryan, good morning. My name is Agent Anthony Grant. I work for the International Intelligence Agency," he said without preamble. My eyes widened at that and I immediately stood up and took his proffered hand.

"IIA, huh? I thought you guys usually stuck to the shadows," I said with a hefty amount of surprise.

The only reason I knew about the IIA was because they had attempted to recruit Detective Looker at one point. The International Police that I was a part of was kind of like the go between agency for all of the local police forces in each of the regions. We often were called as a backup for particularly challenging cases in whatever region needed the help, which normally involved high-profile cases.

The IIA though, specialized in covert operations and large-scale threats. Detective Looker had told me that several world wars had been averted because of the efforts of the IIA and that all of their agents were highly trained in pretty much everything imaginable. I had been a little shocked that Detective Looker had turned down the offer, but he had said that an agent of the IIA devoted their entire lives to the organization and the protection of the world. They didn't have the time to spend with their families and many of them essentially became ghosts once they became a part of the IIA.

"They are a necessary part in protecting the world from the shadows that haunt us, Aryan," Detective Looker had said. "But I'm more of a 'bask in the sun' kinda guy. I'll do my part to protect the people I can and trust the rest to them."

Agent Grant chuckled as he shook my hand and then took a seat across from me. I quickly sat down as well and he placed his briefcase on the table, typed in a passcode, then popped it open.

"Typically you would be right. However, these are special circumstances and our Director has decided that it is necessary that you are briefed on a particular project we are working on." My eyebrows shot up in surprise and I looked at his briefcase and a black file folder he had just pulled out.

"Is this about Team Galactic?" I asked and was not at all shocked when Agent Grant nodded.

"You are perceptive, Detective. I do have to remind you though that whatever is shared in this room is strictly confidential and must never be repeated to another person. Do you understand?"

I had been around the block a time or two and it was a rare day that anyone could shake my confidence. But I had to admit, Agent Grant's serious expression left me feeling intimidated. I played it cool though and just nodded.

"You have my word," I responded simply and Agent Grant nodded. The oppressive aura around the well-built man eased and he handed me the file he had taken from his briefcase.

As I reached out to take it I had barely skimmed the title "Operation G-150" when Agent Grant folded his arms and cocked one eyebrow at me with almost an amused expression. I blinked over at the man, who seemed to be in his late 30's with cropped black hair and tan skin, and he let out a small chuckle.

"You've got quite the intuition, young man," Agent Grant said with another chuckle and I frowned.

"Sir?" I responded hesitantly and Agent Grant nodded towards the folder.

"Go ahead and see for yourself," he said with a smirk.

I blinked in confusion but opened the file and began reading. It started with a synopsis of the mission, which was an infiltration mission by an IIA agent to pose as a Team Galactic grunt and gather insider intel about the new leader and their plans. A weird excitement bubbled inside me as I began to skim through the rest of the synopsis. I got to a list of potential candidates and then finally, at the bottom, the name of the agent chosen was typed. "Agent Ash Ketchum Alias Assigned: Satoshi Killian"

"I knew it!" I hissed out triumphantly but immediately felt foolish as I heard Agent Grant chuckle from across from me. I glanced up at him and he shook his head at me.

"Our analysts informed us of your search a while ago into Agent Ketchum's alias, Satoshi Killian. I was pretty impressed that you connected Killian with Ketchum just because of his Pikachu," Agent Grant said with a small nod but I narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

"The IIA monitors searches done within the International Police's secured system?" I asked with a hard edge to my voice. Agent Grant grinned, but there was something scary about his too-white teeth and I had to force myself to not shrink back from the menacing aura he was giving off.

I gotta learn how to do that, I jealously thought to myself while Agent Grant casually shrugged.

"The IIA monitors everything," he said unapologetically. My brow furrowed, not liking that answer at all, but I let it go and pointed to the file folder.

"So why are you showing this to me?" I asked. Agent Grant let out a small sigh, once again dispelling his intimidating aura almost instantaneously.

"Agent Ketchum is one of our most promising recruits. He's hard-working, insanely loyal, and has no fear of challenging people even in what appears to be a hopeless circumstance," Agent Grant said and I thought I saw a hint of affection in the older man's countenance. "BUT, he's a bit of a blockhead."

A snort of laughter escaped me before I could even think to react and Agent Grant shrugged with a patient smirk.

"We're bringing you into our confidence, Detective, because Agent Ketchum made some decisions that could prove dangerous for both himself and a mutual friend of yours." My eyes widened at this and I gripped my hand into a fist.

"Serena?" I asked, feeling a wave of panic go through me as the puzzle pieces began to click in my mind. Agent Grant nodded gravely and his face twisted into a small grimace.

Agent Grant went on to explain everything from the beginning. Finding out that Pikachu Boy had given Serena her starter because Neptune had ordered him to kill it in cold blood was shocking. I listened attentively as he explained everything that Pikachu Boy had learned from his time as a grunt and how the whole organization had been shocked at how quickly he had been promoted within Team Galactic. Agent Grant laid out everything up until the pickle that Pikachu Boy found himself in now and I leaned back, looking up at the ceiling in deep contemplation.

"So your Agent has pretty much become Neptune's pet and you need me to get Serena to stay away from contests for the next few weeks or else she might find out that he's not as loyal as he seemed. Is that right?" I summarized as my eyes moved from the ceiling back to Agent Grant. Agent Grant nodded and I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Obviously I'll do anything to protect Serena. But what about your Agent? Don't you think you should send in some backup or something?" I asked, feeling oddly defensive of Pikachu Boy. Now that I knew he really WASN'T a member of Team Galactic, the fact that he had been injured so gravely because of my stupid pride and stubbornness was eating away at me like crazy. Although I was glad to know that he had recovered from his burn.

"The Director has already started stationing teams of agents around Mount Coronet. Thanks to Agent Ketchum we know most of the entrances and if worst comes to worst we can blast our way in. Don't worry about him," Agent Grant said, but I still couldn't help but frown.

"And what if Neptune finds out he's a spy and decides to kill him? Don't you think you should have someone else on the inside?" Agent Grant sighed and shook his head.

"As of last week, all recruitment meetings have ceased. Just leave protecting Agent Ketchum to us, Detective. We need you to look after the civilian," he said firmly.

I folded my arms, wanting to argue my point more, but it was obvious that Agent Grant was finished with the topic. There were two unrelated questions niggling in the back of my mind though and I clenched my jaw for a moment as I gathered my courage to ask.

"I'll help you with Serena. But will you answer some questions for me?" I asked slowly. Agent Grant nodded his head slowly, and I could see the wariness in his eyes as he regarded me. There was nothing to lose though, so I plunged right in.

"Was my partner kidnapped by Team Galactic?"

Agent Grant's eyes softened at this question and he looked off to the side in thought for a moment before meeting my gaze again.

"We have been unable to confirm if Detective Looker is in the Team Galactic Headquarters," he said in a professional tone that made me grit my teeth. "But Agent Ketchum did report that Neptune had mentioned in passing that she would make Detective Looker pay for incarcerating her grandfather. So we are under the assumption that she did take him."

I let out a controlled sigh as my hand clenched and unclenched with nervous energy. It wasn't the definitive answer I had been hoping for, but at least I knew I hadn't been following the wrong lead all this time.

"You had another question?" Agent Grant asked and I looked up at him, feeling an old ache that I thought I had buried long ago resurface.

"Does the IIA know anything else about my parents' murder?" The question grated against my throat but I forced myself to remain calm as Agent Grant regarded me with an expressionless mask. After several agonizing moments, he finally let a small puff of air from his nose and he shook his head.

"The IIA only deals with large-scale attacks. We don't keep records of isolated murders," he said slowly, almost apologetically. I couldn't keep my shoulders from slumping as an aching disappointment gripped me.

So much for solving the case then, I thought to myself numbly. If even the IIA didn't know anything then I didn't know where else to go. A tapping sound on the table caught my attention and I forced myself to look up. A frown stretched my lips down when I saw a pensive look on Agent Grant's face. He glanced towards the door almost nervously before turning back to me and leaning forward across the table.

"The IIA did not investigate your parents' death," he said in a whisper so quiet I had to lean forward myself to hear him. "But they worked for Sinnoh Sun Corp, right?"

Nervous anticipation made my fingers jitter as I nodded. "Dad was the COO and Mom was the head secretary for the Financial Control Officer," I responded in a whisper equally as quiet. Agent Grant nodded and a look of sadness went through his eyes that made my heart clench up.

"The only reason I know that, is because the owner of Sinnoh Sun Corp was once Cyrus. But when he disappeared the company was transferred into Charon's ownership. And then when Charon passed away..."

Blood rushed to my head, causing a strange whooshing sound inside my ears as I realized what Agent Grant was trying to get at.

"Neptune? You think Neptune had something to do with my parents' death?" I hissed through clenched teeth. Agent Grant heaved a sigh and sat back in his chair, grabbing the file folder I had been reading earlier and replacing it in the briefcase.

"Our analysts suspected that Neptune may have had a hand in their murder, but they were never able to connect it to her, so we did not do any further investigation. The only reason I am telling you this is because I believe you have a right as their son to know the possibility exists."

I flopped back against my chair, my mind spinning. If an organization like the IIA couldn't connect their murders then it was probably impossible for me alone to do it. Like that's going to stop me though, I thought furiously.

Agent Grant stood from his seat and after a beat, I also stood and accepted his hand that he offered me.

"You're a good Detective, young man. Please keep your word about your confidentiality and do everything you can to keep Serena away from contests. Our agent's safety depends on it."

"Why don't you just arrest her then? If you hold her on trumped-up charges for a while then she'd be safe and Neptune would never know." I said, feeling bad for even suggesting it, but honestly, it would be the simplest course of action. Agent Grant let out an awkward chuckle and shrugged.

"That's the thing about being a ghost," he said with a rueful look. "The reason our organization can do what we do and remain off our targets radars is that no civilians know we exist. You are a rare exception to that rule, Detective. If you feel it's best to arrest her then I will leave that up to you."

I balked at even the thought of placing handcuffs on Serena's wrists and I shook my head. "I'll come up with something else," I muttered and Agent Grant smiled at me and patted my shoulder in an almost fatherly gesture.

"We appreciate your help, young man. And good luck with finding answers to your questions."

I nodded silently to him. The thought that my parents' murderer may be the same person who kidnapped my partner was making my blood boil and all I wanted to do was go to Mount Coronet and pound down the door. But Neptune's operation was MUCH more sophisticated than I had ever imagined from what Agent Grant had described in passing and also Serena's safety needed to come first. Detective Looker would never forgive me if I left my friend in danger to mount a solo rescue mission for him.

Agent Grant left as mysteriously as he had come and I slowly walked out of the conference room. I had a lot to think about, but I knew what I had to do next. Reaching into my pocket I pulled out my PokeCom and tapped on Serena's contact info. My phone started ringing and I walked swiftly out of the building as I waited for a familiar voice to greet me.

A/N Thanks again for the patience! I don't know why this chapter was so hard for me to write. I had a lot of birthdays and family members showed up unexpectedly the last few weekends so my update took longer than I had hoped. Hopefully, you enjoyed the boys' POV's though. Things are really starting to heat up now :D But I honestly have no idea when I'll update next :/

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

1.2K 88 14
~DISCONTINUED~ A town celebrates a festival where every two years, a flurry of shooting stars dance across the sky, granting wishes and eternal love...
949K 16.5K 74
After his loss in Unova Ash returns home to regroup and plan which region he will go to next. However while planning his next region, tragedy strikes...
494K 21.8K 100
After failing in the Unova League, Ash returns home to get advice before resuming his journey to become a Pokemon master. Now, what happens when some...
175K 4.9K 31
β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’An Amourshipping Fanficβ€’~β€’~β€’~β€’ β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’~β€’ Serena Yvonne is a regular teenage girl at the age of 13 who just sta...