The Cowboy and the Angel | โœ“

By moonkissedgirl

To him, she was the perfect definition of an angel. What would an angel like her want with a cowboy like him... More

Author's Note
Character Introduction
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Three

1.8K 54 60
By moonkissedgirl

Jason smiled so wide it reached his eyes. There was nothing like traveling down memory lane on a horse. It'd been a long and painful six years since he'd rode the familiar path to the Hardens' place. Even though it'd been a while, he still knew it like the back of his hand. He was thankful for the sun's cozy rays that caressed his body as Raven plodded along. The warmth eased some of the soreness from his bones and helped him to relax. He'd had an unusually rough day, which seemed to be the normal around the ranch lately. One thought chased away every pain and any other thoughts that were in his head.

Dixie.

Man-o-man wasn't he worked up. Just a little bit farther and he would be at her house. He couldn't wait to see her, couldn't wait to taste her cooking. Today had to be his lucky day. He was getting to spend time with the woman he loved. Loved? Maybe that wasn't the correct term. But, was it really love? He cared about her with every part of his being. That was love. Wasn't it?

He had thought about her every day since the very last time he had seen her, dreaming each year of how she might've grown and how much prettier she had probably gotten. But even his wildest dreams about her could not compare to the breathtaking beauty she possessed. She had to be Heaven-sent and specially handcrafted by God. To him, she was the perfect definition of an angel. What would an angel like her want with a cowboy like him? Did he even stand a chance to win her heart?

Jason was knocked from his reasoning as Raven stopped with a jolt in the Hardens' front yard. "Well, here goes nothin'," he sighed as he slid out of the saddle.

Just as he was tying Raven to the small hitching post, the big horse snatched the reins out of Jason's hand and trotted past the house towards a pasture holding a few horses.

"Get your big black butt back over here, boy!" Jason scolded as he caught up with the ornery creature. Half-dragging and half-leading Raven, he managed to get him halfway back to the post.

"Ouch, Tavin! What're ya try'na do, stab that thing into my head?" Dixie's voice rang out from beyond a window just up ahead.

"I'm sorry. It's just not lookin' right where it's at and I'm try'na fix it."

Jason cocked his head. Their voices were coming beyond the window a few steps ahead. What were they up to? The curtain shook as one of the siblings bumped into it, gaping it open just enough for Jason to see a part of Dixie and Tavin's faces.

"Hold still! I almost have it," Tavin demanded, biting his lip in concentration as his fingers moved around in Dixie's hair.

"You may almost have it, but you also nearly have a hole stabbed into my head right there," Dixie retorted, an angry and somewhat painful frown wrinkling her brow.

Jason smiled, he had no clue what Tavin was up to, but whatever it was sure was giving him a show. He always loved seeing Dixie angry at her brother. In his opinion, she was the cutest thing ever when she was upset.

Raven gave a loud snort, causing Jason to jump and the ruckus on the other side of the window to cease.

Jason shot a glare at his horse. He couldn't have picked a more inconvenient time to make all that noise. Quickly easing past the window and praying he hadn't been seen, he held on to Raven's reins tightly and tied him to the post.

"Pa, I think Archer's here!" Jason heard Tavin call. "I believe I heard a horse right outside!"

Jason grinned in relief as he walked up the steps and onto the porch. Raven hadn't blown his cover after all. Wouldn't it have been quite embarrassing to be caught staring at Dixie through the window? A small chuckle escaped him. He didn't even want to think about it. Quickly smoothing his hands over his pants leg to straighten out the small wrinkles he'd got from riding, he rapped his knuckles on the rough wooden door. As soon as he knocked, it opened.

"Howdy, Jason! Come on in and make yourself at home," welcomed Dixie, moving out of the doorway for him to come in. Her eyes silently appraised his light purple shirt, nice jeans, and dark brown boots before meeting his gaze with a brilliant smile.

Jason grinned and hoped he was coming across as charming. He felt the uncontrollable flush creeping up his neck and reaching his ears. It seemed she was just too beautiful for him to contain. He'd never seen her in anything so pretty and feminine, even growing up, and the dress was something else on her.

The dress, with its rose-colored, silky folds, caused her green eyes to become more vibrant. When she turned her head a faint glimmer in her artfully braided hair caught his attention. His heart nearly stopped. It was that hairpiece he'd gotten for her so many years ago. So that must've been what Tavin was fussin' over, he thought. He didn't realize how intensely he was staring until Dixie's father chuckled.

"Well, Jason, do I look that terrible?" Charles joked, propping up on the door frame. "Don't let my ugliness scare you off, son."

Tavin leaned around Dixie's shoulder, wiggling his eyebrows. "What's the matter, Jase? Cat got your tongue?"

Jason breathed out raggedly, pulse pounding in his ears. He had to say something. Anything. "It's. . . it's just been awhile." since I've seen her like this, he finished in his head.

"Come on in, Jase," Dixie repeated softly. Impulsively, she grabbed his hand. She led him inside, leaving him at the table abruptly.

"Sit on down, son," Charles demanded in a kind, fatherly way as he seated himself at the head of the table. "They'll have the food on the table in just a moment."

Jason sat down, taking his hat off. Placing his hands on his knees under the table, he tried to act normal. In reality, his hand was tingling and he felt as if his heart would beat out of his chest and land right into his lap. He looked around to calm down, taking in the homey surroundings that he hadn't seen in many, many years. Everything was the same and it gave him comfort. From the floral curtains to the old armchairs, nothing had changed but yet it had a new look.

Maybe she had something to do with it, he thought, his gaze moving to the beautiful Dixie. Even though she was dressed in the color of a rose, she was so much prettier than any regular flower. She was a wildflower, a tough and hardy thing that held all the beauty of nature in its petals. Yes, he decided inwardly, she is no mere rose, but a wildflower.

"Like what you see?" Charles asked, eyebrows raised in question.

Heat crept to Jason's cheeks. He was caught red-handed. Or more correctly, red-faced. "Yes, sir," he answered honestly. "Sure do."

"Figured you did," Charles grinned, only a hint of paternal protectiveness in his eyes. "Allow me to let you in on a lil' secret."

Jason leaned closer, a look of suppressed interest on his face.

"I trust you with my daughter. You're a right good fellow and I sure wouldn't mind you becomin' a part of our family."

Jason breathed a small sigh of relief. Charles knew exactly what he was up to, and that was no surprise. But there were some things he wanted to be clear about.

While Jason and Charles talked, Dixie and Tavin grabbed the steaming food and placed it on the table. After a few trips to the kitchen and back, all the vittles were on the table and ready for eating.

After a quick but no less heartfelt blessing, the Harden's and their guest tucked into the meal with gusto. A helping or two later, a round of small talk about this, that, or the other sprung up, brightening up the already cheerful atmosphere.

Jason shared a look with Charles as Dixie put away the dirty dishes. The smallest hint of a question gleamed in his eyes.

Charles met his question with a wide smile and a slight nod.

"Dixie?" Jason inquired, slipping out of his chair and scooting it in.

Dixie turned from her position by the kitchen window. "Yes, Jase? What is it?"

Gripping his hat in his hands so tight his knuckles turned white, he met her pretty eyes that were sparkling with curiosity. "Would you like to take a walk with me?"

She turned to her father, seeking approval. She was met by a smile. "I would love to. Pa, you and Tae will just have to help yourselves to the dessert."

Tavin laughed, patting his belly. "Dixie, you know I can very well help myself. And I aim to."

"Save some for us." Jason grinned. As Dixie came to his side, he guided her out the door with a hand on her elbow.

The first few steps of the walk were taken in silence as they skirted the pasture. After a few more moments of quiet, Dixie spoke up. "Where are we goin'?"

Jason smiled down at her. "Somewheres special. Someplace you've never been."

Dixie laughed softly. "Somewhere I've never been, that's on Harden land?"

"Yes. It's a secret place me and Tavin would go to. It was like our own little world," he explained in a softer tone.

"So that's where y'all would disappear to. That explains a lot. What would y'all do there?" Dixie asked with a light smile while Jason grabbed her hand.

As they entered into the woods, he didn't answer her at first, but looked up into the trees. He relished the comforting way the wind was blowing through them just like it had when he and Tavin would run here to escape the world. "Well, we came here for many a reason. Mostly to talk."

Dixie's eyes widened in appreciation of the alluring enchantment of the woods. The perfect weather combined with the mysterious beauty of the tall swaying pines and oaks made her walk with Jason seem like a fairy tale. She looked over at Jason as birds chirped a love song in the treetops, admiring the profile view of his face. He was such a handsome man. "What did y'all talk about?"

"This and that." A somewhat sly grin split his face as if he read her thoughts. "But mostly about you."

Dixie let out a small gasp, unable to hide her surprise. She groped for words, racked her brain for something to say, but it seemed that ability had left her.

"There was plenty to say 'bout you. That's how I knew you wanted that," he said gently, reaching up and touching the decorative hair clip. A softness clouded his eyes and he tightened his grip on her hand. With a smile, he tugged her under a giant clump of hanging honeysuckle vines acting as a veil into a beautiful hideaway. "Here we are."

Dixie's eyes dilated as she took in the ethereal beauty of the cowboy's hideout. Slivers of sunlight escaped the grip of the thick treetops and glittered on the honeysuckles as they wove together through the trees to form a hidden den holding an air of mystery. The sweet smell of the blooms gave a romantic mood to the enclosed space, and the hilly mounds of vibrant, furry moss made ideal seats. "It's beautiful."

"You are."

Dixie was sure her heart did a two-step. Her breathing hitched. "You really think so, cowboy?"

A tiny blush rose to Jason's cheeks. She called him Cowboy. Everyone called him that, but the way she said it sounded like a term of endearment. But two could play that game. "I know so, angel."

Now it was Dixie's turn to change colors. She smiled shyly. To Jason, it couldn't be any cuter.

"Angel. I really like that."

He smiled, pulling her down to sit on the fuzzy moss. "Then angel it is. So, angel, I have a question for you."

"A question?"

"A very important question to be specific."

She could feel her heart race and she took a soft breath to calm it. "Okay, what is it?"

"Will you allow me to court you?" he asked. Before giving her time to answer, he plowed ahead. "I've always cared for you. I was always interested in you. I don't want any other woman. I've waited so long for you to be of age and the time has finally come. Don't worry, I've talked with your father and he approved. That being said, will you?"

A hundred and two thoughts ran rampant inside Dixie's mind. Yes, her heart screamed, but her voice was uncooperative. By sheer will, she managed to whisper, "Yes! A thousand times yes!"

Jason wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. He poured all the emotions that had been backing up all those years into the embrace. "Be my angel," he murmured into her sweet-smelling hair, breathing deep and savoring her scent.

"As long as you'll be my cowboy," she returned, a hint of a smile lacing her tone that was muffled by his shirt. Picking her head up, she looked into his eyes and saw so much affection it made her light-headed.

Slowly, he leaned in, planting a feather-soft kiss on her lips.

Light-headed was an understatement for how Dixie felt at that moment. One thing she was sure of, she wanted this cowboy to be her cowboy and no one else's. For the rest of her life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 71.5K 42
[2022 WATTPAD BOOKS AWARD & WATTY WINNER: GETTING PUBLISHED 2025] There's a boy at Evergreen High that has a different girlfriend every two weeks, a...
895K 33K 41
Wade smiled at her, and their eyes met. Aubrey held her breath as she studied his sapphire eyes, so deep and so bold. If only they didn't look as if...
137K 6K 35
"Dance with me." While I knew it wasn't a demand, it wasn't a question either. I hesitated and he noticed. "Come on Grace, give this gentleman the...
307K 12.8K 22
Jonathan Woods is upset when his late grandfather throws in a last minute stipulation into his will that either him or his sister must get married an...