Sweet Persuasion (Book 4 of t...

By MelonDiaries

*ON HOLD* April Nolan had no luck with men after her last relationship got her hospitalized. But then, her lu... More

Copyright/Disclaimer
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Eighteen
Nineteen

Seventeen

181 14 3
By MelonDiaries

It was already past ten in the evening when we finished eating dinner and discussing my case. I walked Steve to the door while Dean and Amy cleaned up in the living room.

"Thank you again for doing this," I said as we lingered outside the apartment door, waiting for the elevator to descend.

"It's my pleasure, Amy. You don't have to keep on thanking for every little thing I'd do for you." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes yet couldn't help but smile back. "Anyways, have a lovely night and a safe trip back."

Steve regarded me for a moment. While preamble, he reached out and cupped my cheeks. Startled at the sudden contact, I stood there immobile. Before I could react, he leaned down and planted a brief kiss on my forehead.

"Have a lovely night as well, Amy. Sweet dreams."

I could feel my face heating up at the sudden intimacy. By the time I was able to compose myself, Steve had entered the elevator. He watched me with a wicked grin as the door closed between us.

It took me another minute to calm my raging heart. When I returned inside, I might not have wholly recovered since Amy stared at me with confusion.

"Did something happen?"

I shook my head and pointed towards the bathroom. "I'll go wash-up for bed first."

Amy wasn't convinced by my reply, but she hadn't press on and allowed me to go. Thankfully, I had ample time to collect my composure in the privacy of the bathroom. I prayed that Amy won't pry further later.

To my luck, she hadn't. And the evening ended without any incident.

***

Although I don't mostly work on weekends, Hardy had insisted that I came into work and helped him complete his paper works that were pushed aside because we were categorizing his New York clients.

With disdain, I headed to work like any other day. Since there was no incident for two days since Scott's mishap at my workplace, Amy was confident to let me commute to work by myself.

Of course, she wouldn't have agreed if I wasn't confident myself. And I was assured that Scott won't do it again—for now. He could not be that stupid to do things twice.

However, when I entered the office building safely, I felt a rush of relief. Maybe I was a bit concerned. But then, since nothing happened, I'm convinced that nothing will happen.

Upon reaching my cubicle, I had at least a few minutes to collect myself until Hardy arrived. With coffee in hand for the both of us, we drive to another round of paper works. From there, the rest of the morning passed while we focused on work.

By noon, I was able to cut Hardy's work by half, which I knew would put me in my boss's good graces. He was lenient and quickly let me go for an early lunch. Since Lilian had no office this weekend, I went and searched for Karina as my lunch buddy.

As I passed by the reception area, I stopped in my tracks when I saw Reed heading towards me. He was preoccupied with his phone, so he didn't see me right away. Within the second, I contemplated heading back to my cubicle. But then, I didn't want to have a working lunch with Hardy. So, I marched on.

Reed finally noticed me and beamed.

"April, heading somewhere?" he asked cheekily. "Were you looking for me? I hope so."

I snorted. "No, I'm looking for Karina."

"Karina? You mean, Ms. Montes?"

"Yes, unless there is another person here whose name is Karina," I replied sarcastically.

He ignored the tone of my voice. "Why are you looking for her? Is there something you need? Maybe I can help."

"Ah, no, it's nothing. I was looking for her and check if she wants to have lunch with me," I said.

He grinned. "I see. Well, I don't think she could join you as of now since I've just given her some work."

I blinked, surprised and uncertain what to do now. "Oh, I see. Then, I'll just go by—"

He interjected before I could finish my sentence. "If you don't mind, would you like to join me for lunch?"

"What?" I asked even if I heard him clearly.

"Unless you have other plans, I would like to take you out to lunch. Would you care to join me?" He asked, rephrasing his question.

I pursed my lips, thinking deeply about how to respond. It was then I realize we weren't completely alone. Within hearing distance, two of the receptionists were eavesdropping on us.

I cleared my throat to give myself time to collect my composure. "Mr. Seymour, I don't think it's—"

"Ms. Nolan, you don't have to be roundabout it. It's merely a yes or no question. So, would you?" He quivered an eyebrow in challenge. The edges of his lips twitched in a teasing grin.

I sighed in defeat. "Let's go," I muttered under my breath, but I was sure he heard me.

With a triumphant grin, he gestured toward the elevator. Fortunately for me, we didn't have to wait long. However, in the few minutes of standing with our backs to the receptionists, I could feel the cold stares on the back of my head.

I have nothing to lose now. Although I'd instead not fuel the flames of gossip, it was a ceaseless effort. So, why try?

When we reached the lobby, Reed broke the silence between us.

"I hope this doesn't mean you won't be going out with me later this evening," he said.

I peered up at him and chuckled. "How are you worried about that? Did it seem like I would cancel our plans before you're taking me out now?"

He smiled. "No. I know you aren't the type to cancel without reason. Thank you for joining me despite our already have a prior engagement."

"This could be just lunch, you know." I lightly suggested.

"Would that make it less awkward for you?"

I arched an eyebrow. "Do I look awkward?"

"You were hesitant to accept...."

"Of course, I would hesitate. You caught me off guard, and there were witnesses," I argued.

"Where there?" He feigned innocence.

I rolled my eyes and playfully slapped his arm. "Anyway, since I already agreed, where should we have lunch? Any suggestions?"

He contemplated for a second and smiled. "How do you feel about burgers?"

I grinned. "Yum."

***

We found a burger joint close by. And like that night, we found a spot by the park and ate our meal.

Even if I've known Steve longer (far longer) than Reed, but when I talked with Reed, it felt like he had always been there in my life. There might be times there's tension between us. But then, at a time such as these, talking to him felt easy and right.

He felt comfortable and familiar. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I'm not too sure myself.

And then, I was suddenly reminded by Steve's kiss on my forehead last night. He'd quickly made my heart wild with something simple. Even before, when I was merely just Amy's sister, there were times when Steve made me lose my composure.

If this was a battle between who made my heart beat fast, I'm all too sure who it is. Until now, he still makes me lose my mind.

I glanced at Reed sitting comfortably beside me. Although he hardly made my heart rate quicken, his presence was like the sun after the rain.

Both emotions and feelings were relevant. They both made me feel what I perceive as love. And now, it's a stalemate.

Between Reed, who gives me the feeling of comfort and breath of fresh air, or Steve, who makes my mind wild and heart quicken, who was a better fit in my life?

"April, is there something wrong? You looked worried." Reed asked, snapping me out of my reverie.

I pushed aside the confusing thoughts and feigned a smile. "I'm fine. I was just thinking about work and stuff."

"April, if there's something on your mind or something that I could help that's within my power, let me know, okay? Don't hesitate to ask. You won't know whether this problem could be solvable with help."

I scoffed. "Oh, it's not something just anyone could solve for me. I have to do this on my own."

"What is it about? If you tell me, I might be able to advise you," he offered sincerely.

I lightly patted his arm. "No, it's nothing. But thank you for offering to listen. I appreciate it."

"Anytime, April. My ears are always open, as my shoulder if you need it as well," he cheekily said.

I rolled my eyes and playfully slapped his arm again. I crumpled and placed the remnant of my burger on the brown paper bag.

"Come on, let's head back to work. Hardy still has a few things he needed me to finish before I clock out later in the evening. If you don't want me to be late on our date, you best escort me back now." I winked.

He got up and grabbed the trash from my hand. He threw it to the nearest bin. "Well then, let's go. I won't want to lose time with you later."

I laughed. "I didn't know you were the greedy type."

"And a bit possessive too." He added rather than argued. He held out his hand towards me.

I chuckled. "Possessive, are you really?"

"Well, since you aren't completely mine just yet, I'm a bit lenient with how things are. But, let me warn you, I can be a bit possessive."

"Isn't that something you shouldn't say if you want someone's favor?"

He smugly grins. "Usually, but you aren't the type who want people lying after I've already implied it."

"You didn't imply. You admitted it if you've forgotten already."

He feigned a gasp. "Did I really? Well, anyway, that's on you whether you take me or not. I have given you fair warning." He winked.

I snorted. "A bit of possessiveness isn't something new to me. If that's all you're trying to hide from your character, then I feel bad for you if you found out about mine... oh! I shouldn't have said that."

"Oh, you're coy now, are you?" He lightly bumped my hip. "Now, you have to tell me what sort of dark personality you're hiding."

"I'm not obliged to make this easy for you. It's your fault for telling me." I smirked.

He sighed in defeat. "And here I thought you'd be forthcoming."

"Have I implied that I'm that sort of person?"

"Well, you were, that first night at Julian and Zoey's wedding," he slyly replied.

I gaped at him. My cheeks heating up. "I was heavily intoxicated. That doesn't count."

"So, is that the only way you'll open up to me? By getting you drunk," he asked with a mischievous grin.

"You are not getting me drunk tonight."

He arched his eyebrow at my suggestive remark. "Did I say I would do such a thing? I'm not that sort of man, Ms. Nolan. I'm hurt you think of me that way."

Frustrated at how he was controlling the conversation, I huffed in defeat and walked ahead of him.

"April? Are you angry?" He called out and quickly jogged until he walked close to my pace. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cross a line."

I exhaled. "You didn't. You were just..." I trailed off, unable to describe my feeling in words.

"Okay, I'll stop. I won't tease and pester you about it." He affirmed.

I turned and met his gaze. "Are you?"

His expression was severe for a second. But then, his eyes gave him away. I sighed and gestured in the direction of the office. "Come on, let's head back. I wasn't lying with the thing about Hardy."

He nodded and smiled, holding out his hand to me again. I stared at it for a second. He was about to put his hand down when I reached out and clasp it. I hide my triumphant smile with a cough when I saw his expression.

Now, he was the one perplexed. And to my surprise, holding his hand, I could feel my heart racing, and my cheeks flushed.

Maybe I was wrong about Reed. He does make my heart sing.

***

Upon arriving back, Hardy was already in his office and started filing the remainder of the pile. I silently joined him, grabbing a fresh batch as well.

By the time we finished everything, it was nearly seven in the evening. I grabbed my purse on my desk, put on my coat, and sprinted towards the elevator. I was about to press the elevator's call button when I heard someone called behind me.

I turned and asked before he got a word out. "Reed? Were you waiting for me?"

"I had something to finish in my office and thought you'd still be here late, so..." he said and trailed off as he walked up to me. "Were you able to finish work with Mr. Hardy?"

"I did," I replied and regarded him for a moment. "Would you at least give me a hint why Hardy's compiling his New York clients?" I lightly pressed.

There was a momentary silence while I waited for his response. But a minute or so passed, and then the elevator door opened on our floor. He still hasn't answered.

I sighed in defeat, and we both silently descended to the basement parking. We walked to his car and got in at the same time. As he started the ignition, I contemplated again about asking. Although I wasn't really bothered by it, the secrecy was gnawing at the back of my head.

There wasn't much that I don't know about my boss. When I don't remember something happening in his professional life, it made me guilty that I wasn't doing my job correctly. I take pride in being his eyes and ears even if we don't get along well. He is still my boss.

However, I didn't have to pry again.

"I know you really want to know what's happening with Mr. Hardy out of professional curiosity. But since it's not yet final, it didn't feel right to tell anyone about it, especially you," he said.

I stared at him as he backed the car out of the parking lot. "Does this have anything to do with me then? Am I involved with whatever is happening with his New York clients?"

"No, you aren't..." he trailed off with a groan. "I think whether or not to just tell you about it. I have talked with my fellow senior partner earlier, and we've made a partial decision. But still, I feel it's premature."

I placed a hand on my chest. "Reed, I promise, I will not speak a word about it."

He briefly glanced at me and smirked. "I know you won't." But then, he has gone silent again for a minute.

"So? You still won't tell me?" I groaned.

He chuckled and then sighed. "No, well, I do want to tell you... but I don't want you to make assumptions just yet. As I've said, it's premature."

I nodded. "Sure. I won't."

"Really?" He asked suspiciously.

"Maybe," I hesitated. "Depends... just tell me, please. And maybe I'll let you know if it does bother me."

He sighed again. "Okay." He squared his shoulder and kept his eyes on the road. "Mr. Hardy's getting promoted to a senior partner for the New York branch."

I smiled. "What? Is that it? That's not too bad."

"You might be transferring with him." He added.

My smile faltered for a second. It was then it dawned on me why he hesitated to say anything.

***

A/N: Thank you for patiently waiting. I'm back from my long hiatus and will be updating weekly for this story. Thanks again for the support and love everyone. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

344K 8.2K 46
"I think I just had the worst idea anyone has ever had." He whispered in my ear. "Do I even want to know?" I questioned raising my eyebrows at him. ...
511K 4.3K 7
"You're playing a very dangerous game, Cassie," Adrian says, staring at me with so much intensity that I take a step backward, my back hitting his of...
66.4K 3.3K 41
There are things you need to know about Ally aka Allison Hart : 1) She's a hotshot lawyer with a hundred percent win record. 2) She must get marrie...
29.6M 505K 68
"I'm the sexy guy in school, and all the ladies want me. So don't act like you don't. And try not to make it seem like a surprise Princess because yo...