50 Million Years from Now

By Landiahazak

I'm not the first one to write about speculative zoology, I was inspired by many books and tv shows which int... More

Prologue
Act 1
Act 3
Act 4
Act 5
Act 6
Act 7
Act 8
Act 9
Act 10
Act 11
Act 12
Act 13
Act 14
Act 15
Act 16
Act 17
Act 18
Act 19
Act 20
Act 21
Act 22
Act 23
Act 24
Act 25
Epilogue

Act 2

28 1 0
By Landiahazak

A flock of Black beaks fluttered in and around a large cave protruding from the savannah, providing shelter from the blistering sun. Inside a grove of trees next to the cave, Moramma was perched on a tree branch looking down at the rest of the flock who were waiting for the hunters to come back. It didn't take long for her to grow bored and glide down to the ground. Besides someone else had arrived to replace her as the lookout. As she entered the large cave opening their flock called home, she was stopped.

"Where are you going?" a voice asked.

Moramma hissed. She knew exactly who that voice belonged to. "What do you want this time Zgall?"

"Oh, come on. Is that how you talk to me?" Zgall asked with the slightest hint of annoyance.

"You know why everyone talks to you like that."

"I still thought you might have had a little more respect. And you never answered my question."

"I'm going back inside."

"Listen, you're the lookout so get back to your position."

"Someone already took my position. I can go and rest now."

With that Moramma flew off, leaving Zgall in an even worse temper than before. Zgall then stormed out of the cave and rushed into the long grass. As he did so, a flock of Jumpers leapt out of his way, hopping, running and skipping around, scattering in fright. Zgall was always grumpy in one way or another and lost his temper easily which also made him a poor hunter. Instead, he was tasked with protecting the cave from predators, a good use for his hostile personality.

As Zgall was blowing off steam, back at the cave Moramma carried out one of her favourite pastimes. Dipping one of her claws into a bowl of red dirt and mud, she hummed to herself as she began painting the cave wall. Many other Black beaks were in the midst of doing the same. For them, it was a way to connect with nature and their ancestors as well as an attempt to remind themselves to keep their lives in balance.

Suddenly, the lookout began to screech, "They're back! They're back!" Most of the Black beaks rushed towards the cave entrance. As their excitement grew, they could start recognizing individuals.

"Welcome back," one of the elders said greeting the party. "Were you successful?"

A few, including Roc, raised their baskets full of fish, squid, horned octopus and crustacean. "You bet we were," Roc declared.

"Say, where are Kay and Vall?" Zenith asked noticing the two were missing.

"Albino finally got eaten?" Zgall asked as he came back from his rampage.

Before anyone else could answer, the lookout yelled, "Wait! I see two more coming!" Zgall growled, knowing exactly who those two were.

Kay and Vall landed. "Sorry for the delay," Kay bluntly said. "We had a little trouble with some Rock-backs."

"It's because of that white plumage!" Zgall yelled. "That albino sticks out like a gigantic beacon."

Vall took a few steps back, bowing his head.

"He was the one who spotted the Rock-backs," Kay stated, looking down at his companion.

"Oh, and that makes him a better hunter than me?"

"The fact that he is much more patient than you are Zgall makes him much more likely to catch something. And, may I also add, he has the best vision out of all the Black beaks in this flock," Kay said, the strength in his voice showing no hint of wavering.

"Kay, stop it. It's not worth it," Vall quickly said grabbing Kay's left wing and attempting to drag him away. Kay complied, walking off with Vall. "You really didn't need to do that," Vall whispered, his head hanging very low.

"I did not defend you because I do not like Zgall, nor was it because I like you. It's simply because I had to. Nothing more, nothing less."

"Vall!" Moramma exclaimed as she flew down towards the white Black beak. "Is everything all right?" she asked.

"Everything is fine. I... hum..."

"What he means to say is that everything went alright during our little excursion. The Rock-backs didn't even attack us."

"Yes, that's what I meant," Vall chimed in.

"Sorry for being so direct. I forgot that it makes you nervous when we do that," Moramma said.

"It's fine. It's fine," Vall answered.

"I just worry for you sometimes. You know, because of the... hum... well..."

Vall sighed, "It's because of my feathers, isn't it?"

"Well... yes."

"Why did I end up like this?" Vall mulled over not for the first time. "What did my parents do to have the ancestors curse me like this?"

"I don't think it's a curse," Moramma replied.

"Then, why?"

"I may not have the answer, but I do believe I may have something that will cheer you up. Follow me."

As the two flew up to a ledge, Kay just stood there looking at them. "That albino may just have what it takes," he thought catching a small glimpse of the two as they started painting together. He was interrupted when Roc walked up next to him.

"Hey, Kay. Some of the elders want to talk with you."

"Alright. Thank you for telling me," Kay responded and with a quick swing of his body, he took to the air, flying towards a large, designated overhang for the elders. The ledge itself took up a large portion of one the cave's walls. Part of its stone was surprisingly smooth thanks to the thousands of years of water erosion. On the other end, the stone was rough. This was where most of the Black beaks would land or take off given its better grip. Kay landed on the ledge. Colourful reds, blues, whites, and yellows decorated the walls.

"You asked for me?" Kay said.

"Indeed," one of the elders replied. He was larger than all the other Black beaks, towering at eight feet. Even Kay was dwarfed by him.

"We heard that you and Zgall had a disagreement," another one piped up.

"It wasn't..." Kay began but was interrupted by the giant.

"We know nothing happened, but we wanted to speak with you, nonetheless. We know that both you and Zgall have had many disagreements in the past, Kay. And, it is our decision, or at least what we think is best in this case, that the two of you must try to work together."

"I'm sorry. Can you say that again?" Kay said not believing the words he just heard.

"We believe that if you and Zgall were to work together more often, the both of you may end up with less of these hostile encounters."

"I understand," Kay replied relunctantly.

"Very well. You must remember Kay this cavern was created for us by our ancestors. It is a place of peace and harmony. And I am sure you remember the promise we made to them."

Kay sighed before repeating it, "Under no circumstances must a Black beak injure another, whether it be physically or not. Black beaks always work together and will keep the peace in his or her flock."

"Exactly. You may go now, Kay."

"As you wish," Kay said taking off. He landed on a ledge hanging off the other side of the cave.

"So, what was it about?" Zenith asked.

"They want me to work with Zgall."

Roc and Zenith burst out laughing. "Oh! That's a good one! I haven't laughed like that in a long time," Zenith managed to squeeze out through fits of giggling.

"Wow! I never thought of you as the joking type!" Roc exclaimed his body sprawled out on the ground while uncontrollably laughing.

"It isn't a joke," Kay bluntly said.

"Oh yah, sure it isn't," Zenith squawked. But then the two noticed Kay's expression. His stern brown eyes glaring at them. "Wait... You're serious?" Zenith said finally stopping his laughter.

"As serious as the threat of a Grass stalker is."

Meanwhile, Vall and Moramma were still working on their masterpiece. Multiple shapes depicted the animals with which they co-existed. Different shades of reds, browns, and whites were splattered across the wall, offering a snapshot of their environment.

"And... done!" Vall said while putting the finishing touches to his drawing.

"Wow! You really are amazing!" Moramma exclaimed.

"It's nothing. At least it's nothing compared to yours."

"Vall! What are you talking about? This is amazing!"

Changing the topic, Vall asked, "Moramma, can I ask you something?"

"Sure, that's what friends are for."

"Do you believe there are others like me? I mean other albinos."

"I don't know Vall, but I do know one thing for sure. The colour of your plumage doesn't matter to me. You're still a Black beak, like everyone else."

"Thank you," Vall whispered.

Multiple shrieks coming from the cave floor interrupted their conversation.

"Alright everyone! Come and get it!" a couple of Black beaks squawked, signalling that it was time to eat.

"Come on. Let's go. I'm getting hungrier the more I wait," Vall said.

"You are always so literal Vall," Moramma replied laughing slightly.

"Aren't Black beaks all always literal?" Vall chuckled with her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101 2 5
Welcome back to prehistoric park! My version of what a second series would have looked like! All rights remain to Impossible Pictures apart from my o...
294K 4.8K 60
I DO NOT OWN EDDSWORLD THIS BOOK IS OLD, IN NEED OF EDITING - First story I ever created (Around 2016) - Adult themes here and there - Mainly (she/he...
3K 134 38
First off all the pictures and music in this book belong to their respective owners. I always was a fan of the PRIMEVAL series. And that made me thin...
331K 16.8K 196
Books I might write in the future