Lamb of God: A Novel

By JerInChrist-AreOhSea

The story of Jesus presented in the Gospels, set forth as a novel! As much of the story of Jesus, as in Matth... More

Author's Disclaimer
Section I
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Section II
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Section III
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25

Chapter 9

8 0 0
By JerInChrist-AreOhSea

Sepphoris

In the meantime, Jesus and his three disciples arrive at Galilee, often called "of the Gentiles" because of how influential it could be. Greeks and Romans thrive here.

While in a city here, Jesus meets with a Jew. "What's your name?" asks Jesus.

"My name is Philip," comes the reply.

"Ah, a Greek name," declares Jesus. This partly Greek Jew can speak not just Aramaic (and perhaps Hebrew), but also Greek. Jesus bids Philip, "Follow me."

Philip goes with Jesus. He also becomes a disciple along with Cephas, Andrew, and John. And it turns out: Philip already met Cephas and Andrew. Their hometown is the same: Bethsaida, a town northeast of the Galilee Sea.

+

Among those who were there when John the Baptist proclaimed that Jesus is "the Lamb of God" and "the Son of God" was Nathanael. When he looked at Jesus, however, he couldn't get it that this man could be the Messiah. He doesn't look extraordinary.

Now here he is, near Sepphoris, the former capital of Antipas, who in turn is now at Macherus, east of the Salt Sea. Nathanael, a son of Talmai, sits under a fig tree, quiet. He thinks about what John the Baptist had said. Confused as Nathanael is, he hopes that God would reveal the truth to him. He prays quietly that God show him if the man pointed out by John to be the Messiah really is the Messiah.

Philip finds Nathanael here. They both often pray here, far from the city and closer to nature. "Shalom, Nathanael!"

Nathanael turns and smiles at Philip.

"Nathanael, you must understand. We have found him of whom Moses wrote in the Law, and of whom the prophets also wrote," blurts out Philip before he enhances, "Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth—"

"Nazareth!" exclaims Nathanael. "Are you kidding me?" Nazareth has a bad reputation if it even has one. "Can the Messiah come from such a place? Nazareth, Philip! Can anything good come out of Nazareth?"

Nathanael is from Cana (this means "place of reeds"), which is only about four miles northeast of Nazareth, that small agricultural settlement. So Nathanael sees the mountain city of Nazareth as doubtful for the place for the Messiah.

However, Philip wouldn't argue. "Come and see," he insists.

He leads Nathanael to Jesus, who is with Cephas, Andrew, and John when Philip and Nathanael arrive.

When Jesus sees Philip and Nathanael coming, he turns especially to Nathanael and says, "Here is a true Israelite, in whom there is no deceit!"

Huh? thinks Nathanael. He's talking about me as if he knows me. But how? How does he know this about me?

To Nathanael's questioning, Jesus simply answers, "Even before Philip called you when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."

Nathanael is convinced. Jesus must be that Messiah. He confesses, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God and the King of Israel!"

Jesus hears Nathanael's sincere confession and tells him, "Do you believe in me because I told you I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than those!"

+

Two days have passed. At Cana, there is to be a wedding. It interested Jesus because the bride and groom are relatives of Mary. So Jesus tells his five disciples he wishes to stop over there. "I am a relative of these people. No doubt my mother will be there. I want to grace the festival with my presence."

"If you must go, we'll also go," says Andrew.

So it is agreed. The six men started the trip to Cana from Sepphoris. It was only a few miles away.

Cana

Cana of Galilee. Now Jesus and those new disciples of his cross around the valley south of Cana. This valley is full of fertile soil for growing plants. The last winter rains have helped the farmers of Cana a lot, it seems.

As soon as Jesus and his disciples arrive at Cana, a special invitation is sent to the new Teacher and his friends. The invitation is for the wedding. Jesus nods a yes, so they are now walking to the groom's house, where the festival is supposed to be at.

The guests wear their finest robes. No surprise Jesus and his disciples have done the same, for they had four spare hours to get things ready. The closest Jesus has for a change is a new cap to protect from the hot sun. Jesus may have to take off his light-blue tunic today.

While there, Jesus is greeted by his mother Mary, who is more than glad to see her firstborn son after two months. But she notices that it appeared he was in the desert too long. Yet he is still her tender son.

Jesus says, "I have disciples who came with me. Do you want to meet them?"

Mary responds, "I'd love to."

So the disciples speak to Jesus' mother about what has happened while with Jesus. They speak of his baptism, and what he has done. They tell her, "The conclusion must be that Jesus is the one predicted by Moses and the prophets of old."

The wedding feast begins. The custom is that the festivities continue for three to seven days. In this case, it is seven days.

+

The mother of Jesus has helped prepare for the seven-day festival. During these days, and at nighttime, one of the helpers turns and comments to Mary, "You know, our supply of wine hasn't been working out well. We are almost out."

Now Mary is nervous. With the wine out, how would the festival go? I want to spare the endless shame from the married couple, but... it's night. None of the shops in the market would be open. What to do? What to do? What to do?

"Thanks for telling me," Mary says.

The young man tells her, "But how do we solve the problem, Mary?"

Then Mary remembers Jesus. At the different tables are small groups that talk and eat together. Mary noticed how curious glances are turned on "the carpenter's son", as they call Jesus.

Mary is hoping Jesus could prove himself by some miracle. This may be it, the chance. So she turns to the helper, "Wait here."

Then she goes to the table where Jesus, his disciples, and others are. "Jesus," says his mother, "may I have a word with you, please?"

When Jesus turns to her, she whispers to him, not wanting the news to be found out. "They have no wine left."

Jesus understands that Mary's asking him to help them out. He could supply their need somehow. Yet he tells her, "Dear woman, what is this for me and you? My hour has not yet come."

Mary realizes Jesus is acting according to the time of God. But she knows Jesus would help them. He's willing to. So she tells the helpers of the festival, "Just... do whatever he tells you."

Now Jesus gets up and looks beside the doorway. There are six stone water pots, each one able to hold between 20 and 30 gallons. He thinks, and then he knows what to do. Turning to the waiters, he bids them, "Fill the water pots with water."

"W—what, with water?" asks the waiters. It would be embarrassing to the bride and groom to have a lack of drink. Is water the best Jesus could provide?

Jesus insists. "Do it."

So they do. The water pots are filled up with water from the village well. The large pots are filled up to the brim. "Okay, it's done," says the helpers. "Now what?"

Just then a waiter comes to them. "The wine is now wanted."

"Uh-oh, what do we do?" gasps the others.

Meanwhile, Jesus, calm as ever, turns to the pots. He closes his eyes and briefly prays. Then he turns to the helpers of the feast. "Now... take some out, and carry it to the master of the feast."

"What?" mutters the waiters. But they lack the courage to object. They take the risk. They take a pitcher and fill it with the water from one of the water pots. Still hesitant, they go to the master of ceremonies and pour in the liquid from the pitcher to the cup with the master. But... it doesn't look transparent anymore. It has a purple-red color in it. Could it be...

The master of the feast wasn't aware that the wine had run out. And when he tastes this provided by the helpers, he is delighted. This is the best he has ever tasted! He calls the groom over and says, "Everyone puts good wine on the table first, and inferior wine afterward, when his guests have drunk freely. But you! You have kept back the good wine till now!"

This new wine is passed on to the guests, and they think it was awesome too. "Where did this come from?" these guests ask.

The helpers guess correctly this is a divine act. The new disciples are utterly convinced that Jesus is the Messiah. But none notices Jesus slip away from the scene.

The news of Jesus' first miracle would spread far and wide.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114 1 15
A story of love and faith and GOD
4K 308 200
This is the fourth book of verses that God has allowed me to write. The Holy Spirit told me to write the first one; I was scared to death, but God h...
1.7K 30 12
Bible is a whole wonderful love story of God to us and yet sometimes, we all having trouble to read it properly, right? So here's a book for you, if...