The Run ©2014 Sydney Wray

By sydneywrayy

"Who the hell are you?" A boy demanded. He had tousled, chestnut hair. His green eyes were wide with confusio... More

The Run
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Saving Elliot
Revision
Sequel?
Cover Contest!
Exciting Things!! READ!!
Huge News!!

Chapter 41

44.8K 1.4K 674
By sydneywrayy

I tapped my fingers against my thigh excitedly, grinning as I glanced out the window to my city. New York was still has beautiful as ever.

"Turn here." I reminded the Taxi driver.

He nodded, spinning the wheel and turning into the designated street. A gate blocked our entrance. "Do you know the code?"

"Pound, 441." I replied, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

I watched him lean out the window, type in the number, and the gates swinging open on command. As he drove through with reckless speed that could only be seen in the City, he hit the breaks.

"Fifty-six, twenty nine." He said, his accent thick.

I handed him my credit card, recently given to me by David, and smiled as he returned it to me. "Thanks."

He grunted in reply and I lifted my suitcase out of the car. I watched the Taxi drive through the exit entrance, and breathed in the warming air around me.

I noticed the bare trees around, and the clouds grey with impending rain.

Arms suddenly wrapped around me from behind, and I jumped in fright. A head nuzzled into my neck, and I smiled as I caught a whiff of his scent.

"Nathaniel." I sighed happily.

I turned around in his grasp, and looked into the green eyes which shone with a mixture of happiness, yet boyish excitement.

"Hello, beautiful." He grinned. It was one of those rare moments when I oversaw him without a beanie tucked over his head. His brown hair still stuck up in a sexy angle, and wore a long-sleeve white shirt with dark wash jeans.

"Hi." I breathed a reply, not concentrating on words but trying to fathom how this beautiful creature in front of me belonged to none other than myself.

Nathaniel lightly chuckled, as he caressed my cheek with his thumb. He threw an arm over my shoulder, using his other arm to rub my arm. "Let's get you inside."

I nodded eagerly. We walked to her apartment, talking in easy conversation.

We were steps away, when suddenly the door flew open and slammed against the inside wall. Lavender stepped out, her arms crossed.

Nathaniel obediently lifted his arm from my shoulders, and let Lavender fly herself on me. I laughed, hugging her back.

"I can't believe you left me for that long! I was stuck with this one." She mumbled into my shoulder, sticking her tongue at Nathaniel.

I grinned, winking at Nathaniel and sarcastically said, "Oh, how horrible."

"That's what I said." He mused, disappearing into the house with my suitcase.

She stepped back, walking into the apartment. "Now, I need to here all the details of your first prison experience."

"Ah. Right.."

Lavender nodded, shutting the door. I glanced around.

The same things were still in check. The wide hallway, to the kitchen, the living room which connected to another hallway and bedrooms.

But one thing was sure. Streamers, and a cookie cake decorated the kitchen.

"What's this?" I asked, peering at the cake's inscription.

It read: Welcome Back!

"Nathaniel insisted." Lavender rolled her eyes.

"It was your idea." He came into the room, shoving her shoulder lightly as he passed to stand next to me.

"But you insisted."

He looked at me. "It was a group effort."

I laughed. "Well, thank you. I really missed you guys."

~~~~~~~~

I walked out of Nathaniel's room, into the hallway. Nathaniel was supposed to stay with me, but he slept on the couch instead.

The kitchen was quite and I spotted Nathaniel rummaging in the fridge.

I crept behind him and when I get close enough, wrapped my arms around his waist.

He jumped as I laughed and stepped back.

"I wanted to get you back for scaring me yesterday." I leaned against the counter, crossing my arms and cocking an eyebrow.

Nathaniel-half smiled, as he seemed to be avoiding my gaze. "Huh. I'll-uh-see you later."

He turned to leave.

"Where are you going? Can I come?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. Why was he being so standoffish?

"Oh, just the gym. I'll see you later." Nathaniel only caught my eye once, but pecked me on the cheek.

I frowned, as I watched him walk out into the April air.

~~~~~~~~

"This, is so much fun." I laughed uncontrollably, as twirled in a circle on the ice.

I heard sputtering behind me.

"Glad," she heaved, "You're having fun." And than she lost her balance on one foot, and her entire stance collapsed onto the ice.

I tried not to laugh, as I planted fake-concern on my face and held down a hand. Her cheeks were rosy pink, and her hat slid forward, covering her eyes.

Lavender was many things, but athletic was not one of them.

My poker face started to crumble, as my giggling conquered and broke through.

Lavender's lips were taut, and she sarcastically smiled up at me, "Think that's funny?"

I nodded, still laughing.

Lavender sighed, and reached for me hand. I went to pull her up, but went the opposite direction when she pulled down.

That was that. I bursted through with a laugh I didn't even know capable, and covered my face.

Lavender laughed next to me. "I told you I was a bad ice skater."

I looked around at the indoor Ice Arena. I was hoping we could skate at Rockefeller, but it was closed off.

Kids from the age of fourteen, to sixteen skated around us with a look of amusement or aristocracy.

"People are looking at us like we're insane." I mumbled under my breath.

Lavender glanced around, her hat inching forward and her hair sticking out in wide angles. "I don't see anything."

I shortly laughed, and helped her up. Before we started to skate, I instructed her to take off her hat and fix her hair.

She looked at me dumbfounded, but did it anyway. After her hair was smoothed down properly, I stuck the hat on beanie-style.

Now she looked like the model she usually does.

Teenager boys glanced at her with awe, and elbowed their friends noticeably. I shook my head, as I watched Lavender's oblivious state.

"So," she started, inching awkwardly forward with her skates, "How were the love birds last night?"

I shrugged. "It was great. We watched a movie, and than-"

"Did some canoodling..?" She inturrupted, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

I made a face. "Canoodling?"

"You know...a little smooch-time?"

I laughed. "I was going to say we ate ice cream, but yes. We did some canoodling."

"Knew it." She snapped her fingers, grabbing my arm for balance as we picked up the pace.

I was quite. But he was so weird this morning, and I couldn't shake the feeling. Maybe he was just in a mood, and I should put it behind me. It might not have anything to do with me, after all.

"Okay, what's wrong?" Lavender suddenly asked.

I looked at her, startled. "Nothing."

"Lindsey. I will push you down if you don't tell me this instance." She waved a finger in my face, her tone firm.

I sighed. "I may be just overreacting, but he was acting strange this morning. Like, he was quick and avoided my eyes."

"It may have nothing to do with you." Lavender said lightly, as she suddenly began to move more fluently.

"That's what I thought," I crinkled my brow, "I'll just wait it out, and see how he acts tonight."

Lavender nodded. "Good idea. Which reminds me, does pizza sound good?"

~~~~~~~~

I sighed in delight, enjoying the New York pizza melt in my mouth. "So. Good."

Lavender nodded, switching her weight from foot to foot. "I know."

The box was propped open on the counter, and we hadn't made it to the kitchen table.

The door sounded, and in came Nathaniel.

I brightened as he strode into the room. "Hey!"

He managed a smile. "Hey. How was your day?"

I tried not to look disappointed with his lack of emotion. "Fun. Lavender and I went ice skating."

Nathaniel nodded, and ran a hand through his lengthy hair. "Cool."

The room fell silent, and I glanced at Lavender. She gave me a slight nod, which signaled to me she understood my concern.

"So, where were you all day?" I asked, breaking the ice.

He shrugged. "Out."

I nodded, irritated with his lack of detail.

"Let's watch a movie." Lavender suggested, raising her eyebrows and smiling at each of us.

"Sure." I nodded.

"But, it has to be Nemo." Lavender pouted.

I dramatically sighed, looking at Nathaniel. "What do you think?"

He played along. "I guess we could."

She clapped her hands. "Yay. I'll get it set up."

When she disappeared from the room, I edged closer to Nathaniel and bumped my hip with his.

He smiled for real. "Yes, Miss Garland?"

"I missed you today, Mr. Sky." I smiled, and stood on my tip toes to lightly kiss his lips.

His hand found its way gently to my jaw, and his other arm wrapped around my waist.

Nathaniel pulled away, a look of something flashing in his eye. "I.. I missed you too."

I pressed my forehead to his, half-smiling as I gazed closely into his green eyes.

"Nemo is ready!" Lavender called from the living room.

He sighed, and held out a hand.

~~~~~~~~

The whole night consisted of normal-Nathaniel, and awkward-Nathaniel. He slept on the couch again, (much to my dismay), and woke up to the smell of pancakes.

I quickly brushed my hair, teath, and washed my face before I met Nathaniel and Lavender in the kitchen.

They were laughing, as Nathaniel seemed to be flipping pancakes. He told a joke, and she laughed hard.

"Morning." I felt like I was interrupting something, or barging in.

Lavender grinned. "Hey."

Nathaniel looked behind him. "Morning, sleepy-head."

So at the moment, normal-Nathaniel was present. I smiled.

"When did you get up?" I asked, glancing at the clocked above the stove. It read: 10:26.

"Around an hour ago, and I know your favorite is chocolate chip pancakes. So," he paused, reaching for the bag of Nestle Chocolate Chips, and tossing it to me, "I went to work."

"And I just got up." Lavender said, sipping a cup of Apple Juice.

"So this has nothing to do with my almost half-birthday tomorrow?" I asked suspiciously.

When I was thirteen, Hellen had forgotten my birthday for three years in a row. I was really upset, so Lavender picked a random date to be my, 'half-birthday,' even though she had no clue what a half-birthday stood for.

Even though my half birthday is September twenty sixth, I had decided not to spoil the generosity that had went into her planning at the time. I eventually told her later on, but she just laughed and named the day to be my, 'Almost half-birthday." It took awhile to explain this story to David and Lucy, but they got the point.

Lavender had a faraway look in her eye. "That's tomorrow? I had no idea."

"Mmhm."

After a breakfast of pancakes, Lavender announced she had to visit her Mother, so it left Nathaniel and I.

It was silent in the living room, as I lounged on the bean bag chair in the corner. Nathaniel layed on the opposite one.

"So, do you want to tell me about that graffiti?" He abruptly asked.

I groaned, and put a hand to my face. "Not one of my best moments."

He nodded. "Understood."

Nathaniel stood up, and held out a hand to me.

I raised an eyebrow. "Are we going somewhere?"

He nodded. "Follow me."

And I did. I immediately guessed Central Park, but we actually drove past it. He brought me to a place I had never been to before. It was the artsy side of New York, where talented and aspiring artists painted anything that was without a color around them.

When he parked his car, he crossed to my side and opened the door. When he caught a glimpse of my gleeful face, he grimaced slightly but shut the door anyway.

I decided to ignore it.

I glanced around in awe as Nathaniel retreated to the trunk. Men, and women all around me painted murals on the buildings, pavement or even paper.

"Let's go." He warmly said behind me, and enveloped my hand in his own. Clanging sounded as he guided me somewhere, and I looked over to his opposite shoulder.

A black, drawstring back hung around his shoulder.

I looked at him in question with my eyes, but he just smiled.

Around ten minutes later, we ended up behind the last building that faced the water.

He let go of my hand, and removed his bag.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, watching Nathaniel undo the bag.

I gasped when he pulled out four bottles of spray paint.

He grinned, standing up and jiggled a can. "Don't worry. It's completely legal."

Nathaniel handed me two cans, blue and red. "Now, I'm sure you know how to do this?"

"I might've had an experience." I laughed along with him.

"Just spray away." He instructed.

"What should I do?"

"Anything you want." He answered easily, and his spraying started.

I nodded, smiling and biting my lip. I pressed the trigger, and a pretty red mist sprayed out. It was quite for awhile, as we both worked.

I already knew what I was doing.

"Have you been here before?" I asked curiously, looking to the left of me at Nathaniel.

He was cute when he worked. The corner of his tongue was slipping out of his mouth.

Nathaniel shook his head. "Nope."

I continued to look at him, unable to break my stare. He was so, unbelievable beautiful. His jawline was taut, and it accented his tan face.

"I have peripheral vision, you know." He joked and looked at me.

I smiled, and we held a comfortable stare. Suddenly, his face was clouded and he looked down in sadness.

I was so confused, but became angry quickly. "What is your problem?"

"What are you taking about?" He innocently asked, still spraying.

"You've been so..standoffish! Avoiding my looks, being awkward.." I trailed off, breathing deeply.

Nathaniel continued to spray, a look of knowing plastered onto his face.

I was rambling ideas, not even sure of what I was saying.

"Are you cheating on me, or something?" I raised my voice.

He dropped spraying immediately, and actually looked at me. "No! God, no! Why would you even think that?"

"I don't know, Nathaniel. Maybe because you've been so weird in the past two days."

"No I haven't." He mumbled, and returned back to spraying.

I stomped to his side, and grabbed the can from his hand. Throwing it aside, I took a good look at his face, when suddenly, it hit me.

"Oh, my god." I whispered to myself.

Nathaniel breathed heavily, looking pain-stricken.

"Say it." I said evenly.

He shook his head.

I raised my voice. "Say it."

Nathaniel didn't even shake his head, just stared motionless.

"Say it!" I yelled, a tear rolling down my cheek.

"A family is more important." He said lowly.

I clenched my jaw.

"I can't!" He yelled back, his voice trembling.

I shook my head. "Say it!"

"I love you." He finally admitted, shaking his head. "I love you."

I stepped back, fear striking me. I wanted to say the same phrase, but I couldn't bring myself to. The words were on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't. "Don't."

"Don't?!" He repeated angrily.

"Just, don't!" I yelled, crying.

"I can't help how I feel!" Nathaniel spilled, stepping close to me.

"I almost lost them-my family. I can't lose them again. And when you tell me you love me," I stop, and whisper, "You'll make me miserable when I'm in Chicago."

"That's why I didn't want to tell you." Nathaniel said firmly. "At all."

"So you avoided me?" I questioned, angry. "How would that solve anything?"

"I hoped it would go away if I tried to ignore it." Nathaniel paused. "But when I look at you, this feeling rushes through me, and than I know I can't ignore it."

I was lost for words.

"But you need to understand Lindsey, that a family is more important at this point. Please, forget I said anything." He pleaded, searching me with his eyes.

I shook my head, and whispered, "I can't."

"Try."

Anger rushed through me. "You shouldn't have told me."

"It's not like I had a choice." He said coldly, than regained his warmth quickly and lowered his gaze to the ground. "Forget I said anything."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

170K 4K 40
"Don't look at me like that. I promise I will make you feel like a queen, when living here." He said looking straight through me. He came closer and...
12.7K 349 22
I had to admit, he was cute. His eyes sparkled nervously and his lips were a lovely shade of natural red. He had his arms crossed over his chest, a g...
213K 8.3K 45
"𝐍𝗼 𝗼𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐭𝗼 𝐲𝗼𝐮 𝐚𝐬 𝐠𝗼𝗼𝐝 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥, 𝐍𝐚𝐫𝐚. 𝐒𝐭𝗼𝐩 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝗼𝐮 𝐝𝗼...
1.4K 213 28
"More" he demanded. "What's with the sudden interest?" Before he reacts I hastily added some joke to lighten the mood. "Knock, knock." He op...