The Halls of Erebor

By DarknessAmongLight

A Prequel to Prince & King Frin, a half elven, half dwarven woman returns home to Erebor. There are things sh... More

Introductions
Acceptance
Temptation
Violence
Hurry
For Now
Days & Nights
Two Worlds
The Dance
Despair
Leaving the Mountian
The Wilderness
Food
The Iron Hills
Into the Future
From Bree
A Song
Aside
Identity
Hunter & Soldier
War
Blood, Steel & Oak
A Quest

The Misty Mountians

9 0 0
By DarknessAmongLight

Three days of wandering through the perilous cliffs and alpine trails and all they had found were a few orcs and empty caverns. Hope had been high when they first set eyes on the jagged mountain peaks.

Balin spoke hopefully about the challenges of road building through the mountains. The steep slopes would have to be widened for wagons to travel easily. He predicted the roads would quickly become the new main passage through the mountains. It was a cheery conversation abruptly halted after the first orcs had been spotted. Deciding it was best to move silently away from the main road they followed Thorin into the mountains. By mid afternoon rain had started to fall. First it came down lightly but soon became a downpour.

Balin spotted a small cavern just as the sun dipped behind one of the distant peaks. They would be able to rest there. The cavern itself was just small enough for the four of them to lay down. It appeared as though a rock shelf had fallen creating this small cave.

Balin had taken first watch, followed by Thorin. Frin fell asleep quickly but woke up sporadically due to the cold. When Thorin was awoken to keep an eye out for the remainder of the night, she got up as well.

Wordlessly, she sat beside him, pulling her cloak tightly around her. He wrapped his arm around her, drawing her closer to him. Surprised and mildly panicked, Frin glanced back towards Balin, who was trying to get comfortable. Looking to warn him, she turned towards Thorin, but his eyes watched her. When she gave him a quizzical look his tired eyes pleaded with her. The small shrug that followed put her at ease. Soon she felt herself drifting off to sleep. The steady sound of his breathing lulling her into a restless slumber.

Over the following day the rain continued to plague them as they trudged Northward. Each day they searched for signs of wealth, a place to start a mine and a settlement. The dwarves would fuss over the stones around them while she would scan the horizon for orcs. Days of this went by. As rainy days became bitter nights, everyone grew more and more exhausted.

After spending nearly a week in the mountains the weather shifted. That morning Frin had awoken leaning against Thorin's chest as he kept watch. They had taken up sleeping close to each other. If he was awake she would lean into him. If it was her turn to keep watch, she would sit next to him as he slept, a hand absentmindedly stroking his hair.

When she awoke the sun was casting its early light over the landscape. For the first time in a week she felt as though she actually rested. The rain had ceased sometime in the night causing the cold air to warm slightly.

Glancing up towards the dwarven Prince's face, Frin saw the now familiar lines of worry. He wasn't paying attention to her, but to the map spread out beside him. She knew his dedication to their search. They needed to find a home for their people yet Thorin carried the burden heavier than the rest of their group. It became evident after their first few days of travel. He would charge forward insisting on a quick pace. Everything they did was rushed as though lives depended on it, which in a sense they did.

"Morning." Frin whispered up to him, drawing his eyes away from the map.

"How did you sleep?" He studied her face.

"Well." She smiled at him. "What are you planning?"

"We'll follow this mountain line," his finger traced the rough map. "If we don't find anything in a few more days, we'll turn West."

"We only have a few days of food left." Frin stated.

"I know."

She nodded. Once out of the treacherous mountainscape she would be able to hunt again, providing everyone with fresh meat. Until then they had to rely on their salted rations and the water they brought or found along the high mountain faces.

Sitting up, she glanced out into the open landscape. A clear sky helped the sun cast a warm glow over them, but the harsh winds remained. The constant howl of air gliding through the jagged rocks echoed around them. Before her the sun shone making her feel warm for the first time since entering the Misty Mountains.

Noiselessly, she stepped forward to the cliff's edge, and peered down into the valley. She hoped to see a trace of iron or silver laced into the side of the rock but all she saw was a sea of plain stone, darkened in the harsh landscape. After her hope of a quick solution was dashed, she returned to Thorin and her equipment, sword and bow laying next to her bag.

As she retrieved her weapons, strapping the sword to her waist, she heard the dull thud of a boot hitting someone's body. Thorin was waking Balin and Dwalin. The still morning was immediately interrupted by Dwalin's loud groan.

Balin let out a sigh. "Lad you could just ask us to get up."

Thorin held back a soft chuckle. "The morning is growing late, let's get moving."

The day's hike over loose rock was treacherous. Thankfully the sun had dried the ground making their journey easier than previous days. Their boots were no longer slipping on wet stone and mud. Just as they had the days before they searched and searched. The morning turned into evening, the sun disappearing once more. That night they rested against a cliff, open to the elements.

Early the next day, after a few hours of hiking Dwalin had grown frustrated. "Thorin, this is useless." Dwalin called up to the Prince who was standing on a boulder in front of them.. "The only place in these lands worth anything to our people is Moria."

"Keep looking." Thorin commanded, turning back towards them. His brow was drawn into a stern line.

They kept looking at the cliff faces around them for the slightest sign of wealth. Dwalin and Balin carried some tools and would occasionally chip away at the rock. Every time a hammer struck, she and Thorin would watch hopefully. Balin's face would fall before his mouth could confirm the disappointment.

Frin didn't understand too much about mining but she knew they were looking for any sign of gems or gold. She would often sneak into empty caverns looking for a glint of anything. Often she would come out having seen nothing. One of the few times when she called for her fellow dwarves, they quickly dashed her hopes. What she had found was nothing more than a nice piece of stone or glass, nothing of value.

"Sorry Lass." Balin said walking past her out of another cavern.

"No, I shouldn't have called you." Frin sighed.

"No you shouldn't have." Thorin growled from deeper in the cavern behind her.

"I'm only doing what you asked." Frin's own frustration burst from within her.

"Use your eyes!" He pointed at the lightly coloured stone she'd thought was gold. "Does this look like gold to you!?"

"I am not a miner or a smith." She spat back at him.

"You'd be more helpful if you were." He pushed passed her towards the daylight.

Frin stood angrily frozen to the spot. He was so pig headed sometimes. Despite his vile words and her anger, she knew it couldn't be his honest opinion. He was frustrated. They all were. She suspected his anger wasn't directed towards her, she was just present when it erupted from him.

Placing a hand against the rough cavern wall, she felt the cold, the familiar chill of a mountain. It steadied her. If she closed her eyes she could imagine being back in Erebor, but as soon as the thought came the memories of the horror came with them. With a small intake of breath she marched from the cave.

They continued on, checking the stone and hidden pockets but when the last of the light dipped behind the walls of jagged stone the disappointment was heavy. Nestling themselves in between some large rocks, they attempted to get some rest. Frin kept watch as the dwarves around her fell asleep.

Soon the quiet snoring reached her ears. A home to call their own felt so close but yet they had seen nothing but disappointment. She glanced out at the darkly silhouetted mountains and wondered if she'd missed something. It was hard to stay hopeful. The silent shapes stood unmoving, almost taunting her. Perhaps they would have better luck in some other land.

Countless years before dwarves had searched these hills and they did find wealth, just not there. To the South, overrun, one of the great dwarven kingdoms abandoned by its people.

She let out a huff of frustration, leaning against the cold rock. Beside her, Thorin slept. The creases in his face and the lines in between his brows had relaxed. The young dwarf who escaped the dragon with her slept soundly, only visible in rare moments. She loved that dwarf, and was still learning about the new one she saw daily. The carefree nature, the love of fun had disappeared. She knew a part of him had never escaped the mountain. It had remained there trapped or dead.

Casting her eyes back out over the landscape, awaiting any sign of movement her mind wandered to the Mountain. Halls of golden light reflecting off of emerald walls. One day they would return. Of that she was certain, or at least she hoped. She knew Thorin would seek to retake the mountain if it was possible and she would stand with him.

The gentle snoring had disappeared, replaced by the deep steady breathing of exhausted slumber. Frin sat in the quiet and eerie stillness alone. Uncomfortable with her own noisy thoughts and guilt she started to hum a wordless tune. The melody flowed through her effortlessly. She allowed her emotions to guide the quiet of her voice as she repeated the soft melody over and over again to herself.

"What are you singing?" Balin's soft, sleepy voice asked a few hours later.

"I do not know." She shrugged. "I just started to hum and it came out. Sorry did I wake you?"

"It wasn't you Lass," he shifted, facing her. "My back is killing me. Are there words?"

"No, at least not yet."

"It's beautiful, sorrowful." The older dwarf moved to sit beside her. "Reminds me of..." He choked of his words, grief heavy in his voice.

"Home." Dwalin's whisper startled her. He was laying on his side silently watching them.

Balin nodded.

They all sat in silence for a moment before Frin started to hum again the now familiar notes. Even in the limited light she could see the glint in Balin's eye as they welled with tears at her voice. After some time had passed, Balin placed a hand on her wrist.

"Get some rest."

She silently nodded, sliding onto the hard ground. Sleep came quickly, as it had most nights in the mountains. Her body and mind were always too exhausted to protest. The dreamless sleep came and went quickly. When Balin gently rubbed her back the following morning she felt as though she'd just closed her eyes. With an agonizing stretch she gathered herself for the day. Clouds had once again covered the sun but at least it wasn't raining.

"We need to move on." Balin pleaded. "These mountains were well searched by our kin centuries ago. We won't find anything new here."

She heard Thorin's heavy footsteps pacing while she attempted to hoist her pack on to her shoulders. It felt heavier than the day before. Her tired muscles protested with every step and movement.

"I agree with Balin." Dwalin spoke. "We've done all we can here. This range is too vast and we don't have the time."

There was quiet when Frin turned towards everyone, finally ready to leave. Both brothers were awaiting Thorin's answer. The Prince stood back to them looking out over the valley, hands clasped behind his back. A morning breeze moved his hair gently. He looked like a painting. Frin could almost see it in the halls of Erebor gifted by an elven kingdom.

His head nodded as he turned toward them. "We head West."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 314 21
COMPLETED story with a SEQUEL; "A Permanent Lineage" *Over 34+ chapters overall! "...She had dreamt of what his lips would feel and taste like for...
9.7K 293 5
You, a Ranger of the North, are invited by Gandalf to join the Company on the Quest for Erebor. You quickly wow them with your fighting skills and in...
96 12 12
Full Summary 
Raven travels to Ered Luin! There, she re meets Balin, and Dis. During her stay, she finds a link to her past! One day, her feelings fo...
33.3K 1.5K 55
All Rurìn has of her fathers is a rune engraved in a pendant. She knows nothing of him except he was a Dwarven warrior who was running from his grief...