Dear Bugaboo

By 19RaeNegade

Marinette Dupain-Cheng has a secret pen pal who, she thinks is her long-time crush. Every Friday, without fai... More

Sneak Peek
No Reply
The Calm
Shock
Flour Incident
The Message
Revelation
Why
Weird Stalker Habit
Best Friends With A Stranger
Meow-vie
The Rose
Rumors
Secrets
The Mask
A Dollar
The Cheese
The Black Cat
The Pink Pencil
The Return
Plague
The Storm {1}
The Storm {2}
The Storm {3}
The Liar
The Bad Feeling
The Mystery of Agreste
Growing Suspicion
The Door
The Distraction
The Lair
The Portrait
The Meeting
The Arrival
The Dress
The Reconciling
The Storm {4}: The Calm (2)
The Storm {5}: The Tsunami
The Storm {6}: The Tsunami (2)
The Storm {7}: The Rainbow
The Storm {8}: The Rainbow (2)
The Reveal
True Colors
The Bad Knots
The Travels
Recaps and Family Tree
Dive In
The Deep End
Black and White
The Safe
The Final Secret of Agreste
One Step Forward
The First Day
The First Day 2
Tikki
The Exposure
Until Next Time 1
Until Next Time 2
Love, Adrien Agreste
Throughout "Dear Bugaboo"

The Shallows

1.5K 96 116
By 19RaeNegade

{+}{+}{+}

   Marinette stared at Celine and Sabine.

The younger bluenette tried to decipher the baker's words and accumulate more of an explanation through facial expressions. Yet, neutral looks and thin lips are hard to translate like visually telling a story with a blank canvas.

   "My...dad?" Marinette questioned in disbelief before remembering Sabine's words from earlier.

   "I know Marinette's not my daughter, but I'll always treat her as if she were my own!"

   Marinette's eyebrows knitted together in thought, trying to connect the dots. She didn't want to believe what she heard on the other side of the door is true. It could've been her mind messing with her, mishearing what Sabine said.

   "...or, you're denying the truth," a voice in the depths of her head spoke up. Marinette forcefully pushed the voice back, ignoring its words. There is no way they would keep something so...important from her...

   Would they?

   "Dad as in...baker dad, right?" Marinette asked, wanting it to be true. She is expecting an "Of course, he is your dad" or something to confirm it. Yet, her only response received—her vividly excruciating answer—is dead silence. Marinette watched as the two women's faces instantly turned pale—horror-stricken.

   "Right?" Marinette desperately asked again, tears bubbling on the rims of her eyes, "My dad is my dad, right?!"

Sabine bowed her head in shame, guilt gnawing at her very essence. She bit the bottom of her lip, holding in her tears as she pathetically shook her head side to side. Celine is unable to keep eye contact any longer and stared at the floor, ashamed for keeping the truth in for so long.

Everything beneath Marinette crumbled away like gravity is dragging her down into the depths of the earth. The weight of it all crashing down on her body. Marinette wanted to run but couldn't move. She stared at the two, many different emotions swirling within her. Marinette is unsure which one she feels at the moment.

Is she angry? Yes.

Is she irritated? Yes

Is she devastated? Yes.

Is she in shock? Definitely.

Is she terrified? Absolutely.

The bluenette's hands began to tremble.

"Who is my real dad?" Marinette seethed, anger beginning to bubble a little.

"Marinette..." Sabine nearly trailed off but continued anyway, "...your father...he isn't a good man."

"Like you're any better of a parent?" Marinette shouted, standing up and glaring down at her so-called "mother."

  "Are you even my real mom?!"

Sabine's heart shattered into fragments and a knot in her stomach tightening, making it ache even more. She shrunk under angry bluebell orbs, trying to burn holes into the woman's head. Marinette stood over the baker, making her sit within the teen's shadow.

   Sabine felt like a small ship caught in the middle of a looming storm. The sadness pouring down from the heavens. The furious waves hitting every angle of the hull. The rage heard in the thunder and seen in the lightning. Now, she's a torn apart and lost ship sitting under the depths of the waters. Her only company is guilt swimming around and within herself forever.

   There is also regret. Regret of never being able to be a better parent—a better person—than the one who did wrong. Yet, Sabine now sees that even she has sunk so low and sits at the same level as the person she tried so hard not to be.

   Her brother, Slade Cheng.

   So, Sabine did the only thing she could do to gain back some of her dignity.

   Speak the truth...

   The elder bluenette looked up at Marinette, a frown apparent as she answered, "No, I'm not your real mother."

Tears fell from Marinette's cheeks but her face is still wrinkled with bitterness.

"Then, who...who are you people?" Marinette asked the two women, voice cracking as her misery began to take over. Celine wanted nothing to do but get up and hug the poor girl. Yet, Celine knew better than anyone that that is a bad decision at a time like this.

Especially...when she isn't even Marinette's aunt.

"I'm your aunt and Tom is your uncle. We took you in a few days after you were born," Sabine confessed, "My younger brother, Slade, is your father."

"And my mom?" Marinette spat, making Sabine flinch.

"Your mother..." Sabine began, trailing off.

{+}{+}{+}

"I'm invited to your house?" fifteen-year-old Slade questioned in disbelief, "I thought your parents hated me?"

"I finally convinced them to at least give you a chance. I don't know what it is with my parents needing me to be friends with highly accepting standards but we're going to prove them wrong," Shan chirped, gently punching Slade in the arm. Slade hummed for a moment before a smile settled on his face, "Plus, you can finally meet my siblings."

   "Alright, dude. You've convinced me," Slade gave in, feeling determined to woe over the Tsurugis. Shan nodded, features brightening with excitement and enthusiasm. Slade has a charming personality that wins over many hearts. Shan didn't know if charm is going to be enough but he's willing to take the risk.

   In a matter of days, Slade followed Shan to his house after school. Shan warned his best friend ahead of time about his parents. The things they might say and do, what they're going to be looking for and nitpicking.

   "Are you sure this is the right way?" Slade asked, noticing the houses are getting much larger the farther they walked.

   "Yeah..." Shan confirmed, sheepishly scratching the back of his neck, "...I never really tell a lot of people this but my family is kinda...wealthy."

   "Oh," Slade responded, pursing his lips, "that actually makes a lot of sense on why they're picky on who you're supposed to be friends with."

   Shan grimaced at his friend's words, worried about how the events of this meeting will go. His optimism and enthusiasm are swept to the side, letting his nerves swell once they stood outside his house. Slade whistled, impressed by the big structure and a bit intimidated at the same time.

   Shan walked up to the door and opened it, gesturing inside as a way to make his friend feel somewhat welcomed. Slade walked inside the house, looking around the surprisingly nice and modern-looking entryway.

   "My parents aren't home right now but they should be back in an hour," Shan explained, "So, I was thinking we could play some Ultimate Mecha Strike until they get back-"

   "Shan Tsurugi! You're dead!"

   Alongside the yelling voice, a set of feet padded down the nearby staircase. A girl with wavy blueish-midnight hair and fiery light brown eyes appeared, now standing in front of the two teen boys. She angrily pointed at Shan while clenching some socks in the other hand.

"I told you to stop leaving your dirty socks in my room! It reeks of a boy's gym locker in my there now!" The girl hissed, throwing the said socks at her brother. Shan's face is met by the dirty material, the very horrid oder immediately filling his nose. Shan caught the pair of socks, a disgusted tut leaving his mouth.

"I'm sorry about that but you didn't have to throw them at my face, Mei," Shan complained. Slade zoned out of the dispute, focusing on the pretty girl standing in front of them.

There is something about the way she stands like a mighty warrior not afraid to stand her ground. The way her eyes light up with a sort of justice and unwilling to lose the fight.

"I just wanted you to get the memo," Mei sassily replied before turning to the nearly forgotten Slade. He stood frozen once Mei looked over at him.

The Japanese girl's face melted into a soft look, body instantly relaxing and a cute smile graced her lips. The fire in her eyes still remains but with a sense of joy, wonder and radiance. Slade's heart skipped a beat when Mei extended a hand his way.

"Hi, as you already know, my name is Mei," Mei greeted with a glimmering charm, "I welcome you to our home."

Slade mentally added "sweet" to his list of things he really likes about Mei. He didn't know what it was about this girl, but she automatically catches Slade's attention. There is just something about her that makes the teen feel warm and fuzzy.

   Slade doesn't dare to say anything, afraid he'll say something stupid if he opens his mouth. He pulls off a nervous smile and grasps Mei's hand.

"It's soft but her grip is firm," Slade thinks, weirding himself out for even having such thoughts. Yet, it only makes him more intrigued with any of the small details he learns about her.

"Well," Mei says, pulling her hand back and crashing a lock of hair behind her ear, "I need to go finish my homework before supper. It was very nice to meet you."

With that, Mei returned to the stairs and smiled at the two boys one more time before disappearing the way she came. Shan sighed, shaking his head and chuckling a bit.

"That's my sister for you. She can be a pain one minute then be a real sweetheart the next," Shan commented, not noticing the way his best friend's dream-like gaze towards his little sister's retreating form.

"Sure," Slade half-agreed, a whole new energy zipping through his veins as the only thing he is going to think about all night is a petite girl with a beautiful smile.

{+}{+}{+}

   "Mei was a bright girl with an even brighter future. She was strong and confident. But, she was also sweet and caring. Slade would always lose his composure when Mei was around—a nervous, stuttering wreck," Sabine wistfully spoke, "It took some time before the two started to date and fell in love."

   Marinette didn't want to hear about her parent's whole life story or who they were in the past. She just wanted Sabine to get straight to the point and answer the many remaining questions.

Where are her parents now? Why can't she be with them? Why was her past kept a secret? Why is she living with her aunt and uncle? How do Celine and Tikki fit into all this mayhem?

   She just needs to know the truth...even if it will deeply hurt knowing.

   "Please stop delaying the inevitable or trying to spare my feelings. I'm already hurt. So, just get straight to the point for my sake—for all of our sakes," The bluenette said, voice thick with venom. Sabine frowned then nodded her head, understanding the teen's need.

   "A little over a year into their relationship, we all found out that fifteen-year-old Mei was pregnant. The Tsurugis were furious when they found out, since they didn't really approve of the relationship in the first place. Yet, that was the least of our worries," Sabine sadly explained.

   "A problem we knew long before Slade and Mei even started dating..."

{+}{+}{+}

   Baby cries filled the small room.

   A joyful and wondrous noise, signaling new life has been brought into the world. An event that should be filled with overwhelming happiness and bliss. An unforgettable time to celebrate the birth of a beautiful baby girl.

   Yet, the sound of a long beep changed it all. What should have been a happy, unforgettable beginning of life also stroke the dreadful end of another. The mother, who should be holding her child, laid still on the bed.

   Light brown eyes that held a brilliant torch had smoldered as if the rain outside the hospital had burnt out the young girl's fire. The bright flame was replaced by darkness and the smoke floating up to the heavens above, leaving behind the embers.

   The heart monitor is turned off, leaving only the wailing infant to unknowingly mourn over the loss of her mother.

{+}{+}{+}

   "...Mei had bad heart problems, too much stress could mean her end and that's just what happened. She had a stroke and died during labor."

{+}{+}{+}

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

803K 27K 54
Y/n Dupain-Cheng never got along with her fraternal twin sister Marinette. With opposite, colliding personalities, the two have a final fight that e...
434 33 17
❝Every Leaf speaks bliss to me, Fluttering from the Autumn Tree❞ Who will win Marinette's Heart before/after 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗳 𝗳𝗮𝗹�...
14.8K 426 26
As I went down the steps into the lower cabin, I walked into a room that seemed to lead to all the others . Turning to my right, I was slightly start...
100K 1.6K 36
Marinette got accepted to a new school but this school is for the Rich. Although Marinette's parents have a successful business, they aren't million...