TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

By lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... More

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 24

6.1K 194 16
By lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 24

Aiden

This night has turned into a fricking nightmare. Everyone is pissed off or upset. Mom is leaning on Emma crying because Dad was taken out of here in handcuffs, pissed because Uncle Blake fired him for being a dick. I can't say that what Blake did was wrong. Dad never should have touched Hunter or threatened Riley.

I'll have my own conversation with Dad privately over that one.

He's just lucky that Hunter was there and heard what he was trying to do. Not just because Grandma would kick his ass for cutting ties with Drake Construction but because of what he was saying to Riley. Dad is only thinking of money and what he can get out of a relationship between me and a girl, not just any girl but Leighton Greer. He doesn't even care about what I want.

I guess grandfather got his claws into Dad good before he died. Grandfather was ruthless and dangerous in business. He manipulated everyone with a vengeance now Dad is following his footsteps. I never thought Dad would turn on Uncle Blake and Grandma, or even on Mom and me. I don't know what exactly happened to him to be like this but I think it goes a lot further back than just recently.

Further back then just me dating Riley

Dad's been pushing me to understand the business since last year. I'm a football player, a quarterback. And I'm good, damn good. I know the career of a football player isn't that long. I know I have to have plans for after, something to fall back on in case I'm injured. I do but I've also got plans as a quarterback. I want to be the best, just like Uncle Blake.

And that means I've got some big shoes to fill

But I've got my family behind me. I've got my idol behind me and I've got the girl by my side. That is if she still wants me. I saw the way she hesitated coming down the hall to me and I saw the way she shrunk back when my Dad was going off in the hall at Hunter. If he screwed up my chances with this girl, I'll never forgive him.

Even now, after my Dad was arrested for his shit Riley's pulled back. I don't blame her for feeling out of place. Dad didn't make her feel wanted here. He screwed with her, accusing her of dating me for my money! Seriously?! She wouldn't even let me buy her a box of candy at the movies! The last thing I believe is that she's after my money.

Then to steal her foundation money. That was low even for him.

I knew she was struggling so did Grandma, that's what the foundation was created for. Blake wanted to help kids who needed it to get through college. Riley got foundation funding because she met the criteria not because she was scamming us for money.

Now Riley is uncomfortable and restless. She hasn't said a word, she hasn't even looked at me since Dad left. I don't blame her. Dad made her feel like we think she's playing a game with me. Of course she wants to leave. If I were in her shoes I would too.

I can't believe he did this to all of us

On top of Dad's shenanigans, Grandma is still getting tests done. We haven't even gotten word from the doctor about what's wrong with her. He just pushed Blake and the rest of the family to our limits while his mother's condition is still unknown. Who does that? What kind of asshole just leaves that way.

Sitting forward with my head in my hands, I stress over what this will do to Grandma. She's the heart and soul of this family. I don't know what we would do without her. I don't want to know. I want my kids to grow up in her house. I want them to sit at her kitchen island and eat cookies and tell her about their day just like we did.

"This fucking sucks!" Grumbling under my breath, I don't think anyone is listening but Riley is.

"I should go. You need to be here for your family. I'm sorry I caused you any trouble." Riley whispered. She started to get up when Blake put his hand on her shoulder and nudged her gently to sit down.

"Let me tell you two something." He began and took a long slow breath as he looked around the waiting room at the family. "All of you need to hear me. The Bradford's aren't an easy family to be a part of. We're big and we get loud."

"Speak for yourself!" Cade teased.

"Chelsea is only loud during certain private times." Matt wiggles his eyebrows, getting us kids to groan.

"Aren't all the women in this family?" Jake laughs as Grace smacks his shoulder.

"And all you men snore like you need to be heard on the other end of the football field." Tess adds getting agreement from every female present.

Blake nods and chuckles to himself before he continues. "All true but the one thing we can all agree on is that no matter what, this family is made of love. It doesn't matter if you were born into this family or brought in, you always belong here."

Blake's eyes drop to Riley's and connect. Maybe he can get through to her while I can't. Not because I don't want to but because I'm not in control of my temper right now and Blake is. I need her to help me through what's coming with Grandma and Dad.

"You belong here Riley as much as the rest of us. Don't let Adam get under your skin. He's wrong about you and we know that. Aiden, I'm sorry about what your Dad said and I know as much as everyone here that you don't have to marry someone you don't love. We're behind you... both of you." Blake makes it clear Dad is up shit creek with no help from the family.

I nod and give a half smile down towards my lap, I take Riley's hand and kiss her knuckles linking us and bringing against my side. All of us needed to hear this after what Dad pulled tonight. We need to remember that this family is stronger together and we always stand together when pushed.

Hunter slid down the row of chairs to sit next to us and took Riley's other hand. Following her example, one by one each of the others joined us. Linking a circle around Blake and becoming a solid unit, a team, a force to be reckoned with. That's the Bradford way.

"Ma needs each one of us right now. Fighting with each other isn't going to get her through what happened tonight. Family, this family, is the best medicine for her." Derrick added slinging his arm over Blake's shoulder. "Family is what you make it.We're just gonna make ours the best."

"They're right." Grace adds, our resident nurse who's taking care of Jim. "I remember the day I met you all, Emma had been shot. Blake was beside himself with grief and blaming himself but Georgia stood up for him. She was scared for him and Em. Georgia has always been about her family. I know what Adam did tonight was wrong on many levels but we cannot bring that into Georgia's room. No matter what is wrong with her, she needs to see a united front from each one of us."

"She loves each one of you, even Adam but Grace is right. I don't want my Georgie upset over this while she recovers." Jim agrees. None of us have the heart to mention that she might not recover. None of us want to believe that could be true.

"I agree but Adam needs to stay the fuck away from Ma." Derrick hasn't let this go and Blake nods in agreement with his little brother. "We need to keep him away from the family for the time being until we know what Ma's dealing with."

"He's in jail. Let him sit in a cell for a couple days." Beckett adds. The three brothers have no intention of letting the eldest of them get away with what he's done.

"Shouldn't someone make sure he doesn't get out then? He's got money and resources to call in a favor or even just put up bail himself." Hope suggests looking at her mom then Beckett and I have to agree, she's right. Dad could disappear without any of us helping him.

"He won't be going anywhere." Lance announces as he walks in with Sawyer. "I've requested politely to the judge who's on the docket that due to circumstances with Georgia, Adam stays put so we can get her home first. We don't need Georgia finding out on the news that her son was arrested."

"Won't that happen anyway?" Riley asks unaware of how often we've actually run into trouble and press not finding out. "The fight happened in a public place and he was arrested here too. I mean you weren't exactly quiet about it."

"They always fight like that." Tess shrugs and hugs Bri. "You get used to it. You should have seen what they had to do with Blake when he almost lost Em. He literally trashed the waiting room."

"But then Georgia gave the hospital that really big donation for the maternity wing and now the hospital loves us." Bri adds getting a frown from Riley. She must think we just wave our money around to get us out of jams.

That's not exactly true. We do use our money to fix problems we've created but we try to do it in a way that helps the community and not just bail us out. I mean Grandma did give the hospital a hefty donation after Blake trashed it but it helped pay for what the hospital needed and went well beyond just furniture and a few holes in the walls.

"That's not why they like us. We're always here for births or injuries, we spend a lot of money and time in this place. Plus two of our family works here. We really should just have our own hospital as much money as we've spent over the years." Cade jokes but Jake and Grace look at each other like this is a good idea.

"I did fall in love with you here." Jake smiled and kissed Grace. "Best hospital trip I ever had."

Riley watched them and listened to the stories that each began to share from different ones about meeting their wife or having babies. Broken arms and sprained ankles. Even gunshots and drugging, we look back at our ups and downs and can smile at what got us where we are today.

She sees this and leans her body against my arm, her head falling to my shoulder. Feeling like the worst has passed thanks to my family, Riley is where I need her to be. I don't want her to run away because my dad scared her off. I need her right here to keep me grounded.

Shortly after, Em and Chelsea offer to take the girls back to the dorm so they can change out of their long gowns and Blake gives me a nudge to let Riley go with them. Hunter is nodding too, she'll take care of her and I know Hunter will get Riley back here probably in a better place than she is at now.

"Come on, girls. It's going to be a while before we know anything and Blake can call me if Georgia is moved into her room while we're gone. I think we could all do with a change of clothes. I can even pick anything you boys need." Emma offered.

"Just bring Riley back with you." I whisper to Hunter before they leave and with a nod, Colby, Emery and Hunter left with Emma and Riley, Chelsea took Bri and Tess back to the house while Grace and Mom stayed put.

"I'm gonna go check on Georgia." Grace got up and wandered to the nurses station. Since she works here, Grace manages to snag a set of scrubs for her and Jake then goes off to get any news for us.

Blake and Matt kneel down in front of Mom and I feel the tension shift in the room of men. I watch mom look from each of the brothers surrounding her to me and begin to fidget with her dress nervously as if she's got something to hide.

"Chloe, did you know what Adam was up to?" Matt asks softly and I notice she won't look them in the eyes. I'm not the only one who notices and I hear the curses under their breaths. We know without her saying a word that she knows more than we do.

"What don't we know, Chloe?" Derrick began, his voice hard, angry his brother has turned away from the family this way. He doesn't have the calm ability to get answers like Matt does. None of us do.

"You can tell us now, so we can fix it or we find out on our own. Either way, we're going to learn the truth and make things right. You should at least be honest for Aiden's sake." Blake reminds her that I'm sitting right there across from her.

Her eyes jerk to mine and I watch the dam burst. Tears, big hot and angry drops, roll down her face knowing she has to confess Dad's deeds. What has he done for mom to be this upset. I've never seen her cry like this and Dad's made her cry plenty over the years.

"Bradford Engineering is going under." She whispers as she tries to calm down. "Adam was pushing for Aiden and Leighton to marry to save the company by merging with Greer and selling off Drake Construction to them."

"Bullshit! He can't fucking do that! He doesn't have the power to make that decision" Beckett was hot, standing up and pacing the room. The tension between them increased dramatically throughout the room.

"It couldn't be that bad, not without us knowing." Cade agrees with Beckett but I can see he's wondering if it's possible.

"Yes. Adam was taking money from the company. I found the paperwork for a transfer to a private account. I confronted him about it. That's how I found out. He has two sets of accounting books." Mom admits. Cade and Lance froze, their eyes hardening while learning how much they didn't know. "The one that's true and the one he shows the board and all of you. Drake is the one making money. Adam has gotten it in his head he can drive BE into the ground then blame Drake for it."

Mom looks right at me then. I can see her pleading with me to forgive her. "He's taken all of his inheritance and yours, Aiden and put it in this account. I'm sorry, baby. I'm so sorry."

"What's he planning to do with it?" Matt was as shocked as the rest of us. That's a lot of money to just blow.

"How could he do this without Georgia knowing about it?" Jim wondered what I think we all were wondering too. Grandma is usually on top of everything with the company. Even Matt and Blake don't know as much as she does.

"Because Ma's been having trouble lately and Adam thought if we could keep her out of the business long enough to find out what was wrong then we could get her better before she got worse." Blake ran his hands over his face realizing what a mistake this choice was. "She's been having headaches, memory loss and pain. Adam and I knew and I thought we had it handled. I didn't know...."

The guilt on Blake's face is excruciatingly painful for him. "She wanted it to be kept quiet. Grandma knew she wasn't feeling good and she knew what she was asking you to do, Uncle Blake." I know Grandma wouldn't want Blake to blame himself.

"You're right there. Georgia always thinks of everyone but herself." Jim agrees.

"How much time does BE have?" Blake asks Mom. I don't think she really knows. Mom hasn't worked, ever that I know of. She's always kept us kids out of trouble, her and Aunt Isabella.

"Adam says by the summer he had to have the deal completed." Mom looked at me then shook her head. "I tried to get your inheritance from him. I tried to reason with him but..."

"We've got this." Blake stood and looked at the others. The wheels were already turning in his head to fix this. "Adam is no longer in charge of Be. I am with Ma's power of attorney. I'll get it back on track without Greer on board."

"How about the help of an investor?" Nate asked and the Segler's stepped up to help.

"Or two." Dillon offered.

"Georgia is family to us too. Let us help her." Reese nodded looking at his family then to their kids. Each one is willing to do it for Grandma.

My focus moves around the room, people who don't have to pitch in are willing to help. Looking around I noticed that Wyatt is missing. I thought I had seen him talking to Hunter before she left. Roan was supposed to show up too but I could have been wrong. There was so much going on in here.

"Take my inheritance, Blake. I don't use it and we don't need it." Beckett offers knowing his payroll runs through Drake Construction and his own joint business with Ethan and Leo Tucker is going strong. Grandma has her fingers in that business too.

Matt, Jake, Derrick, Lance and Cade each offered the same thing. Even Breyden and Jim wanted to give what they could from their own funds. We're billionaires, or were, between us I know there's enough to get the company back where it needs to be.

Grace walked back into the room as they were tallying up what they had come up with. Numbers are being called out, getting her attention. Grace gives Jake a questioning look but he kisses her temple and shakes his head. He'll tell her later. They don't keep secrets from each other. None of us do until now.

How could Dad do this to the family?

"Any news?" His voice stays soft as Grace nods.

"They're moving Georgia to a room. She's stable and doing just fine." Grace informs us. A wave of relief goes through the room. It was good news given the circumstances. "We're waiting for the CT of her brain to come back before they can say anything more. Give them about twenty minutes then two of you can see her tonight. Only two... Georgia needs to rest."

"Grace, take Jim to see her then." Blake made the choice for us. "I've got some business to see to."

"She's asking for Aiden." Grace looks at me waiting to hear what I want to do. I look at Blake and shake my head. I don't know what to do. I'll probably say the wrong thing. It would be better for Blake to see her or Matt but not me.

"Go, Aiden. She'll only come looking for you if you don't go see her first." Blake jokes but we all know it's not a joke. Grandma would track me down and give me shit if I don't do what she wants.

What else can I do but agree.

We waited for Grace to let us know when Grandma was ready. Sure enough, Grace was on target with her time. Twenty five minutes later Grace was leading us to Grandma's private room. Grace made sure the staff was prepared for us since our family can be overwhelming for them.

"She's got monitors on for her heart and blood pressure and we're running a saline drip to keep her hydrated. She's tired and looks it. She's on pain meds so she may be a little slow. Just be patient with her and do not mention anything about Adam's stunt. She needs to relax and keep calm." Grace's firm warning was enough to keep me from rushing into the room. In fact I wasn't sure I wanted to see her this way. Grandma is strong and vibrant, and so full of life. It's hard to even imagine her in pain.

Jim nods solemnly as Grace pushes the door open. "Look who I found roaming the hall looking for his hot wife."

"There she is. My beauty." Jim smiles at the woman in the bed and quietly claps his hands together grinning. He's so happy to see Grandma sitting up smiling softly at him. "If you were wanting a relaxing vacation with breakfast in bed, I could have made that happen for both of us."

"Just like that first time I spent with you." Grandma reminds him. Her eyes fill with tears. "I'm sorry I ruined the party. I do dread those things."

"Nonsense! You love them! And from what I hear we've gotten quite the donations out of your stunt." Jim sits next to her telling her about the foundation donations while I stay where I am in the doorway. Grace gives me a nudge to move closer but I stay put. Giving these two a moment alone.

"You scared me, Georgie. I don't know what I'd do if I lost you again. I couldn't do that again." Jim's somber eyes rest on hers. "Remember how I tried to get to you? Your father was livid when he found me in your pool house waiting for you that night."

Grandma nods, taking his hand. "And I snuck out that night to make sure he hadn't scared you off. I wanted to run away with you right then and forget about what my father said was my duty to wed for the company. I wish I had."

"So much time we lost because of the company. We can't let history ever repeat itself, Georgie. No matter the cost." Jim looked back at me making his point clear. He's telling her in his way that he will make sure no one else suffers for money.

Grandma nods following his gaze and looks at me. "Where's Riley?"

"She went with Emma to change, they'll be back soon. Uncle Blake let them know that you're in a room." I move to her when she pat the bed on the other side of Jim.

"I assume your father isn't here?" Grandma asked slowly.

Jim and I looked at each other wondering what we should say. "Grandma..."

"I see." Pursing her lips tightly together, Grandma sighed softly as if she already knows what he's done. "And Blake? Did he fire him as I expected he would?"

Again we just looked at each other neither one of us wanting to upset her. I know Grandma though, too well. She'll be more upset not knowing than if we tell her.

"Aiden, go get him then, if you won't fess up. Get Blake in here." She demands but Jim shakes his head. "No! I want to talk to my son now!"

Grace must have been standing outside listening. Almost immediately she came back in with Blake right behind her. Turning around, I see the rest of the family crowding around the doorway and clogging up the hallway. Letting her see that we are all right here for her.

"What did he do, Blake? How much harm has Adam done?" Grandma sat up pushing the monitors off her fingers and pulling them from her skin. "Grace, I'm fine. I want to go home."

"Sorry Georgia, but you are staying right here until we get your test results back." Grace stands her ground with Grandma in a way none of us can. We've learned once Grace digs in her heels there's no changing her mind.

"I'm fine! I say I can go!" Of course, she's going to argue.

"Ma, I have your power of attorney." Blake reminds her. "You're staying put. I've got everything under control. Trust me, Ma. I'm taking care of everything."

"And your brother? Don't lie to me, boy! I'll know. I always know." Her warning isn't a bluff. She somehow always has been able to get to the truth whether we admit to it or not. "Have you dealt with him too?"

"I know it, Ma. I know. Adam is safe for the moment and in good hands. That's all you're getting tonight. The rest of us are right here until we know what exactly is going on with you. And you, young lady, are going to do as your nurse says." Blake is the only one of us who can say something like this to Grandma and have her actually listen.

"Jim..." Grandma takes his hand and pats it. "I need some things from the house."

"Anything you need, my darling, Georgie." Jim would drive to the end of the earth for her if that's what she needs. He saved her heart when she needed him most.

"Blake, would you take him to fill my overnight bag? Matthew, Lance, I need to talk to you two and Aiden, for a moment. Just a moment, Grace. Then I'll do as you say." Grandma pleads with Grace getting a hesitant nod in return.

Everyone cleared out with Blake waiting by the door for Jim as he said goodbye. He walked slowly past Matt and Lance giving them a look I've learned so well. He's silently warning them not to upset her. It's really making me worry about her. Something is really wrong.

Grace closed the door as she headed out with a warning to us that we have only ten minutes before she's kicking us out. Grandma knows not to push her and agrees to the time restraint. As the door clicks shut, Grandma looks at my uncles and nods.

"I don't have time for long explanations so I'll get to the point. Blake holds my power of attorney as you know, I'm leaving it with him for the time being. I know something is wrong." She taps her head as if telling us it's got something to do with her head, her brain. My gut tightens and flips making me feel sick inside.

"Georgia, we'll take care of everything, don't you worry." Matt assures her.

"I'm not worried. I want to change my will, Lance. Please revoke Adam's inheritance and give it to Aiden and a portion reserved for any children he may have. Just as I've done before for you boys." She seems lucid enough but why cut Dad from the will? That's drastic.

"Grandma..."

"No! He's done enough damage. I'm sorry your father isn't the man we thought he was. Aiden, sweet pea, let Blake handle Bradford Engineering until you're done with football then I want you to run it. Blake and Cade can teach you everything you need to know. Lance, I want that in the will as well. Adam gets nothing from me but a letter. It's written and in an envelope addressed to him in my desk. Jim knows where." She is adamant about this and I'm not going to argue with her but I'm worried. More worried than I was. She's talking like she thinks she's going to die. I don't want to think about that.

I don't want her to die.

"Georgia, I'll take care of it and I'll talk to Cade and Blake for you. The important thing is you getting better. No one wants to lose you." Lance says taking her hand.

"I'm not dying... not yet anyway." Thank God she feels that way. "I've got plans still. Starting with you." She looks directly at me. "Riley will want to stay close to her father, I expect after she graduates and I think it's best she's close to the family while you're playing each season. Jim and I have talked it over and we're moving to Arizona after she graduates. We'll have the new project and we'll be right in the middle of the family here and Beckett's in Texas. I want Riley to know she's family here too."

I must have flushed because the urge to pass out is huge right now. Did she just assume Riley and I are in this for the long haul? Is that really where we're heading or am I in over my head?

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4M 73.6K 56
Emery Ashford had a smart mouth. She was known for it. As an outgoing teenager Emery was always hanging out with friends and with a lack of filter sh...
19.5M 546K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...
206K 6.5K 45
Joey got up off my bed and made his way out of the room, stopping before he exited. "For the record, if we had of had sex, there's no way you wouldn...
42.4K 620 7
~ Don't ever let someone's skewed perceptions of you undermine your own self worth ~ Beckett Eldren is the outcast of the Bradford family. As the il...