Rot & Romance (Rewriting)

By JamelTWilkins

Benjamin Crawford is dead. Or, rather, he is undead. Born from an ancient dark witchcraft that turns humans i... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108

Chapter 72

346 8 0
By JamelTWilkins

Rebecca opened her eyes. Even that had become a task, as her body was beginning to solidify from lack of flesh and blood. She was dismayed to see that she was still a prisoner in a storage unit. She held onto the hope of waking up in Braxton's arms, and that this would have all been an inconceivable nightmare. She attempted to free herself from her bindings, but she didn't have her usual strength. And being deprived of flesh and blood made her weaker.

David's other prisoner was staring at her.

"You missed feeding time," she whispered.

Rebecca squinted. Droplets of blood stained the undead girl's chin and clothes. She wondered how long she'd been out.

Rebecca weakly smiled at her.

"So, what's your story?" she croaked. "How did you end up here?"

The girl's face became distorted with distress.

"I don't know," she sobbed. "I don't know what's going on. Some guy bit me and ever since I've just been really . . . thirsty. For blood. David found me on the outskirts of town as I was looking for help not far from where I worked. He told me he could help. Then he attacked me with some burning liquid. Next thing I know, I'm here." She grunted as she tried to free herself. Then gave up with a scream. "I've been here for days without so much as a drop of food or water. I think I'm dying. I can't even feel anything anymore -- not even my heartbeat. I want to cry . . . but I can't."

Rebecca gasped.

"My word . . . you don't even know."

The girl tilted her head.

"Excuse me? Know what?"

Rebecca sighed.

"You're already dead."

* * *

"Oh. My. God." The most annoying voice in the world seemed to echo in the wind. "Lainey Sullivan actually made it!"

The crowd of Sancova High students gathered at the rec center's entrance turned to face Lainey.

She waved.

"Hey, Vera."

Of course Vera Barnes had to be the best-looking and best dressed at her own birthday party. She was adorned in a peach ball gown and her neck was laced in pearls. She wore her hair in a French twist and her makeup could have been done by the best Oregon.

"If I remember correctly, you turned down the invitation to my party," Vera said, looking confused. "Yet, you're holding a pink envelope."

"I'm sorry," Lainey said, holding up the envelope. "Found this one in the trash at school and came here on a whim."

Some laughter came from the crowd.

Vera frowned.

"Their loss," she dismissively said. "But I'm flattered that you went through trash just to be here for me. Oh, Lainey. I'd hug you . . . but I like being clean."

The crowd of Sancova High students and Vera's usual three groupies erupted in laughter.

Lainey could feel her skin prickling. Whether it was from rage or embarrassment, she wasn't sure.

Vera looked at the group behind Lainey and scrunched her face.

"I don't remember inviting any of these people."

Fawn stepped forward.

"We all have invitations," she said, holding up her pink envelope. "We had to have gotten them from you. Not like they magically appeared out of thin air."

Lainey could hear Nox snickering. Vera leered at the group.

"I don't know any of you, save for Lainey and her tag-along."

"Oh, Vera, you're so funny, girl," Vivienne said, stepping forward. "Quit playing around." She gave the indignant Vera a hug and whispered something in her ear. Vera's demeanor immediately changed. She smiled at Vivienne.

"Of course I'm just messing around with you guys. Come on in."

"Alright!" Asche exclaimed, making her way toward the front of the line to get inside the rec center, much to the other students' dismay. "You heard the girl. VIP coming through."

Lainey and the others followed.

* * *

The undead girl couldn't look any more terrified and unhinged.

"I-I'm d-dead?" she stammered. "Wh-What the hell do you mean I'm dead?"

"Oh, jeez, I can't do this now," Rebecca said.

"Got somewhere to go?" the undead girl said, almost yelling now. "Please, don't let me slow you down."

Rebecca stared at the young dead walker for several moments.

"Okay," she started slowly. "You aren't human anymore. You were bit by a dead walker and killed. You're essentially a reanimated corpse. You can't feel your heart beating because it doesn't beat anymore and even if it did you still wouldn't feel it because, again, you're dead. And the only thing you hunger for is the blood and flesh of humans."

The undead girl was half-smiling. Rebecca knew she was cracking.

"I know," Rebecca sighed. "It's a lot to take in."

The undead girl shook her head.

"This isn't happening. No, th-this isn't real. THIS ISN'T REAL!"

She was yelling at the walls now and trying to break free from her bindings again.

"Oh, God . . . ," Rebecca whispered to herself.

* * *

It was crowded inside of the rec center, despite the party just starting. The music was deafening and the lights blinding. Some party-goers already looked like they have had one too many drinks. Lainey's group were slowly making their way through the crowd toward the opposite wall.

"Two girls, one guy," Asche said. "So far I've seen three people I wouldn't mind getting trapped in a closet with."

"Oh, Ashleigh," Leah breathed. "Your indiscriminate nature is unhealthy."

"Not my fault unhealthy feels so good."

Lainey could swear she heard Leah wince.

"Guys, remember," Monica said, "we're here for a reason. Stay sharp."

"Doesn't mean we can't have a few drinks," Asche said. "Besides, I doubt we'd," she lowered her voice, "I doubt we'd run into any dead walkers here. I honestly came just to get out of the house and finally have some fun." She patted Nox on the back. "Good going, bro."

"Let's just hope we make it back before Jules and Mrs. Wright finds out about this," Freya said.

"I don't see the big deal," Vivienne said. "They're always out looking for undead activity. What was the point of bringing us here if we're just going to be trapped in Fawn's house all day?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Vivienne," Fawn said in a sarcastic cordial tone. "I wasn't aware you felt trapped."

Vivienne forced a smile.

"The curry's good."

They finally reached the wall on the opposite side of the center.

"I'm gonna go find out where they're serving the drinks," Asche said as she parted from the group. She shouted from somewhere in the crowd "I'll be back. Or not."

"And then there were seven . . . ," said Monica.

Nox slowly stood before Freya.

"Hey, Freya . . . would you like to dance?" He could hardly look the redhead in the eye as he asked.

Freya considered his proposition and smiled.

"Sure, why not," she said, making her way toward the dance floor.

With a huge smile on his face, Nox followed.

Vivienne and Leah stared longingly after them. Leah sighed and leaned against the wall. Monica put a hand on her shoulder and said nothing. In her situation, silence was probably golden.

"Why did I even come here?" Vivienne sighed, slumping against the wall as well.

"Because a coven is only as strong as the bond of its members," Monica replied. "We all need to stick together. Always."

"I'd rather not have to watch Noxford's hands on Freya's . . . ," Vivienne trailed off as she squinted towards the dance floor. "Oh my--his hand's on Freya's ass!"

Monica immediately turned in Nox and Freya's direction. Leah turned her back towards the dance floor.

"Is it? Wait, no, don't tell me. It's too weird."

"It's . . . not," Monica said, doubtfully. "Not . . . really."

Lainey figured this would be the perfect time to break the ice between her and the witches.

"So . . . both Vivienne and Leah has a thing for Nox. And he likes Freya."

"Pretty much," Monica said as Vivienne said "Not really."

Lainey raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Noxford and I grew up together," Vivienne said, her eyes still on the dance floor. "Maybe I did feel something in the past. The far distant past." She shrugged. "Whatever, I'm over it. Freya can have him."

"Unrequited love sucks, I know," Lainey began. "It's something everyone will experience in their lifetime. You know, my dad used to tell me that cliches are cliche for a reason. Because they are true. Time heals all wounds --"

"What wound?" Vivienne interrupted. "I just said I'm over it--golly--do you listen? Freya can have him and he can have her. I'm going to go find Asche."

After Vivienne's abrupt departure Monica said "You tried."

Lainey turned her attention to Leah.

"What about you?"

Leah shook her head.

"He doesn't know."

"Boys are stupid," Fawn said. "As if your feelings for him aren't painfully obvious. Sometimes you have to hold their hands."

"Sometimes literally," Lainey added. "You should have dragged him to the dance floor."

Leah's cheeks turned as red as the hair on her head. She didn't reply.

Monica grabbed Leah's hand.

"Come on, let's go dance."

Leah's eyes widened.

"What? No--Monica, I can't--"

"Oh, come on, Leah!" Monica persisted. "Time to show off those curves. Maybe Nox will notice."

Lainey and Fawn laughed as Monica whisked Leah away.

Fawn rested her head on Lainey's shoulder and sighed.

"Thanks for coming, Lainey," she said quietly. "I know how much you hate Vera."

"I don't hate Vera," Lainey said. "I just . . . okay maybe hate is an accurate synonym. But don't use the word 'hate'."

Fawn laughed.

"How's Mrs. Sullivan?"

"She's fine. I saw her the other night. I'm planning on visiting her tomorrow."

"Before or after your day date with Benjamin?"

Lainey looked at Fawn.

"After," she answered quietly.

"I'm sorry," Fawn said. "I still don't have full control over my magic."

"It's okay, Fawn."

"So when will I meet him?"

Lainey narrowed her eyes.

"You want to meet him?"

"Of course," Fawn said sincerely. "Lainey, of course I want to meet the guy you're in love with."

"Doesn't the undead and witches have this natural . . . animosity towards one another?"

"I wouldn't hurt him, Lainey."

"I'm not only worried about him."

Fawn sat up and looked at Lainey.

"You worry too much," she said, smiling. "I wanna meet him."

Lainey smiled back.

"Sure, Fawn. Sure."

"Good," Fawn said, standing up. "I need to talk to Asche real quick. I'll be right back."

"Take your time."

Not even a full minute after Fawn's departure, Eric Isaac approached Lainey.

"Oh, God," she said under her breath. She crossed her arms and looked in any direction but his.

"So maybe I had my eyes on you the moment you walked in," he said.

Lainey said nothing.

"You look good," he continued.

"I know," Lainey offhandedly replied.

"Not good enough to act like you don't know me."

Those words pissed Lainey off. She did her best to not let it show by smiling.

"You're more excited to see me than you should be," Lainey said, nodding towards his slacks. "Especially considering you have a girl now."

He looked down at his crotch and back up at Lainey. He smiled.

"What can I say? Your legs always got the best of me."

"It's disgusting."

"Was it disgusting less than five months ago?"

Lainey had to clench her right arm to keep from slapping the crap out of him.

"What do you want, Eric?" she asked exasperatedly.

"I want you."

"Don't you see I've moved on? Eric, I'm so over you."

"Are you?"

"Very much so. Anything else I can do for you? If not, you can excuse yourself."

"I want you back," he said as he moved in on Lainey. "Vera will hardly be a memory if you just say the word." He was now close enough to brush his lips against hers.

Lainey frowned in revulsion.

"You're the most disgusting person I know," she whispered. "And you'd better get the hell away from me."

He grinned as he backed away.

"This was your last chance, babe. You'll never have this again."

Lainey smiled.

"I'll let you know when I've realized I can't breath without you. But don't hold your breath."

* * *

Fawn found Asche at the drinks table with a cup in each hand. She greeted Fawn with jubilance.

"Yo! Fawn, my girl!" she yelled. "You've gotta try this," she said, offering the cup in her left hand. "They call it 'orange onslaught' and rightfully so. This thing packs a punch."

"I'm good," Fawn replied. "Where's Vivienne? Last I saw her she said she was going to find you."

Asche pointed to a corner where Vivienne was sitting on the lap of an Asian kid Fawn recognized from school.

"If Viv plays her cards right, she could get lucky. Good for her--he's a cutie!"

Fawn shook her head.

"Asche, there's something we have to talk about."

"Can it wait?"

"No. It can't wait. Asche . . . I . . ." Fawn trailed off when she realized Asche wasn't paying attention as she drained the beverage in her left hand.

"Ashleigh!" Fawn bellowed.

Asche slowly lowered the cup away from her mouth. She placed both cups on the table and looked at Fawn.

"Go on. You have my undivided attention."

"Asche I . . . I went through your journal before we left today."

Asche's eyes finally focused.

"You did what?"

"Look, I know what I've done is--"

"Do you not remember yelling at me the other day for using your ancient desktop?"

"And smoking in my room--"

"Are you serious?"

"Look, Asche, I had to, okay? I had a feeling and I went with it. I'm sorry."

Asche crossed her arms and turned away from Fawn.

"How long were you gonna keep it away from us?" Fawn asked.

Asche sighed.

"I wanted to tell you guys," Asche said. "Every time I came close to telling someone . . . I freaked out. I got scared. I didn't want to believe it. I don't want to believe it."

"Asche, you can't keep something like this to yourself. If you think the first undead man in the world is supposed to be on his way here in one more day, you tell us. This isn't any dead walker, it's Ulysses Morrison."

"I know," Asche mumbled, her head bowed.

"We've got to tell Mama and Jules. Tell them everything."

Asche nodded.

"I know what happened to you in that basement the other night," Fawn said. "Against all odds you made it back home. You're a more powerful witch than you think you are, Asche. When Jules said that there was a sorceress amongst us . . . I think she was talking about you."

Asche looked up at Fawn and smiled.

"You think so?"

"I'm an elemental witch. I know so."

There girls laughed and hugged.

"You may want to let go of me now," Asche said a few moments later into Fawn's ear. "I'm a little buzzed. And I know how I get when I'm buzzed."

"Okay, yeah," Fawn said, pulling away from Asche. "Not gonna happen."

"Oh, it would happen if I really wanted it to," Asche said, grinning at Fawn. A few seconds later her grin immediately faded.

At that very moment, Fawn had a really dark feeling.

"Is everything okay?" she asked. She added in a whisper "Your eyes just flashed."

"I . . . don't know. I just got this really bad feeling. I . . ." It became clear as day. "Oh my God," Fawn breathed. "A dead walker's on his way here."

---

To be continued in Chapter 73...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 314 28
Esterville, Illinois is one of the safest towns on the planet. Almost ninety-nine million people go there to buy clothes, read paperback novels, and...
175K 11.2K 38
Highest ranking: #16 in Paranormal The arrival of the gorgeous Sterling brothers triggers a series of gruesome, inexplicable and magical events in th...
225 44 22
Spencer Cassidy, a curious seventeen year old girl whose life is a tunnel of darkness. She always asks questions when nobody else ever does. Thomas...
11 0 24
A girl moves to a new town in hopes of being able to enjoy her normal life in a new town. Unfortunately fate has other plans. Forced to face a myster...