The Price of Pride

By nickym96

Events leading up to and following the tragic beach dinner date (episodes 39-41) still haunt both Emir and Re... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 31

412 17 3
By nickym96

"Cemre? How are you feeling, Kızım?"

I force a smile for my mother. She's come to pick me up from this hospital she's had me in for the past three months. She said she was worried about me. That I was obsessed with Emir. That I needed help. But the only help I ever needed was help getting Emir. Somehow I didn't think the doctors would be able to solve that little problem for me. They don't understand. My mother doesn't understand. Nobody understands. I thought Cavidan teyze understood me. But she was only using me.

My mother may have put me here, but I have Emine hanım to thank for this whole experience. Who knew she had gotten so close to that stupid Reyhan? Who knew that dumb party was all because of Reyhan? It still burns me to think about what a fool I made of myself. Cavidan teyze and I walked around for weeks spreading gossip about Reyhan, trying to make her look like the pathetic little nobody that she is. When we got to the party, all we had to do was add the finishing touches and that girl would have gladly gone running back to her little village. But no. Imagine my surprise when I went to get security, that those very same guards threw ME out of the party. Not Reyhan ... me! Imagine my surprise at discovering Reyhan actually lived in that mansion. A house bigger than my house and the Tarhun mansion combined. How was that fair?

After that party, I cut ties with Cavidan teyze. I had plans and they'd be best carried out on my own. I left her right there on the curb in front of the house after we'd both been thrown out. After they had taken Reyhan to the hospital. And even that couldn't go right for me. Reyhan and the baby turned out to be fine. She gets to go back home to that fabulous mansion and continue to live the life I'm supposed to be living with Emir. The baby she's carrying is supposed to be mine. Emir is supposed to be mine. Again, how is any of this fair?

Emine hanım had come by after Reyhan went home from the hospital. By then, my mother had heard what happened at the party, so she made me hide and pretend I wasn't at home. But I heard everything they talked about. My heart dropped when Emine hanım told my mother every little thing I had ever done to Reyhan. Well, not everything. Even Reyhan doesn't know everything I had ever done to her. She's lucky I didn't do more. Her snitching isn't a surprise. What is a surprise is Emine hanım thinking my mother would believe Reyhan's claims. Doesn't she know I went my whole life manipulating nearly everyone around me, especially my mother? I almost laugh out loud. But then it suddenly isn't funny anymore. My heart stops when she pulls out her phone and sends something to my mother. My mother pulls it up on her own phone and goes absolutely white at what she sees. It looks like she's almost going to faint, but she doesn't. I found out later that it was a video Suna apparently had taken that day I locked Reyhan in the freezer. That sneaky little imp recorded the whole thing. There was no talking my way out of that one.

So that's how I ended up in the hospital. My mother didn't give me much of a choice. Emine hanım didn't give her much of a choice either. She threatened to send the video to the police if my mother didn't "handle" me. That was the word she used. Handle. Again, I almost laugh out loud. No one can handle me.

"I'm fine," I tell my mother, injecting utter calm and serenity in my voice. "I know I may have fought coming here, but you were right as usual. This was just what I needed."

Yes. Despite my doubts, the hospital stay did help. For the first time in a long time, my mind was at rest. It was at peace. There was silence and I was able to think. And for each and every one of the past 92 days, I did nothing but think about Emir. And plan how I was going to get him for good. This time, no one will see me coming. No one will know what happened until it's too late.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Emir wakes on a near scream. He sits up in the bed and takes a deep breath after checking to see if he has woken Reyhan. Fortunately, she managed to sleep through his nightmare, he notices with relief. Sleep is so precious to her these days. The baby has grown a lot in three months and as a result, so has Reyhan's stomach. He sometimes wonders how she manages that belly. Sleeping isn't so much the problem for her. Getting comfortable enough to get to sleep is the issue she faces. But once she's asleep, she tends to sleep like the dead.

He places his hand on her stomach and gives it a rub. Then he leans over to add a kiss. He loves her like this, so full of life. Full of their child. But still, she's so tiny and the baby is very big. She doesn't complain, though. She loves being pregnant. He watches her a lot. Watches while she strokes her stomach and cradles it. Talks to it. Sings to it. She smiles a lot, even more so these past few months Cemre has been away. Somehow Emine anne managed to convince Cemre's mother she needed psychiatric help. Emir doesn't know - or care - how she did it. He's just glad Cemre has been out of their lives for months now.

His mother is another story. Emir just sighs forlornly at thoughts of her. The woman just doesn't know when to quit. She has thankfully calmed down a bit since that party. Reyhan hasn't had to deal with her at all since that day she came to the house. He's not sure exactly what Murat bey told her, but it definitely scared her. He knows his mother well. Cavidan Tarhun doesn't scare easily. But Murat bey managed to scare her. Unfortunately Emir doesn't believe this brief reprieve will last long. His mother is up to something. He can feel it. It started right after the incident three months ago. According to Kemal, Cavidan had called the clinic asking about his father, demanding he be brought home. The timing didn't escape Emir's notice. He didn't have to wonder why, after Murat bey threatened her with speaking to Hikmet, his mother tried to bring his father home. She wants him under her control. But little does she know, that will never happen again. His father's surgery was a success and he's been slowly improving. He's starting to be able to move parts of his body again. His speech is still impaired, but the doctors say it's only a matter of time before it comes back as well. And once that happens, Emir is more than curious to see what his father will have to say. Especially about his mother.

But until that happens, his mother is still a problem. She managed to convince Suna to come home from her treatment. And with Suna there, Cavidan is able to manipulate Emir into coming home to see his sister. He mostly goes over there to pick Suna up and take her places where she can freely spend time with him, Reyhan and Ayla. But his mother manages to make sure Suna is never quite ready and he's forced to spend time with her. And every time it's the same old thing:

"That girl is going to hurt you. That girl never wanted you, she only wants money. And now that she has it, she doesn't need you anymore. Mark my words ... you'll see what happens when her "mother" forces her to leave you."

His biggest fear is that his mother will somehow try to make her words come true. It's what she's done in the past. Like that time she said Reyhan was trying to tear the family apart and then came up with that stupid plot to make him force Reyhan to apologize after "slandering" her about slamming her head against the wall. All the while knowing full well she was guilty of everything. And that Reyhan actually never complained about anything. Then there was the time she and Cemre tried to make him believe Reyhan had a secret boyfriend and even found a man to play the part. And even the time she tried to say Reyhan was a gold digger, and once again, came up with a scheme to "prove" it.

But he knows her real face now. And he knows not to believe anything she says about Reyhan, no matter what. He trusts Reyhan and their love above all else. And he will protect her above all else. He's not going to let his mother hurt her ever again.

He smiles when he feels a tiny foot press against his hand. Looks like someone wants to play.

"Let Mommy sleep a bit more," he whispers to her belly, gently patting the large mound. "That's it, my little one. Go back to sleep."

Deciding to take his own advice, he lays back down and pulls Reyhan closer. She instinctively cuddles into his embrace and lets out a sleepy sigh.

"You okay?" she mumbles, already asleep again before he can answer.

He smiles again. He's fine. As long as he's with her, everything is fine. Nightmare forgotten, he goes back to sleep.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The nightmare stays forgotten until the next morning at breakfast.

"So, I have some news," Emine starts, an anxious look on her face. Murat gives her hand an encouraging pat.

Instantly, Emir goes on alert. He knew something bad was coming. He instinctively reaches for Reyhan's hand

"My father?" he asks, going for the worst case scenario. His uncle had said things were going well, but he hasn't heard from him in a couple of days. Maybe ...

"No! Nothing like that," Emine says quickly to calm Emir's fears and stop his thoughts from spiraling towards doom. "It's about Cemre. She's been released from the hospital."

"That's good, right?" Reyhan says, looking expectantly to him. "That means she's been through some kind of treatment or therapy. And has gotten some medication ... right? This means she's better, doesn't it?"

Emir loves her for her optimism. But he doesn't have as good a feeling about this Cemre situation. Cemre has thirty years of issues that have built up. Those issues aren't going to just go away in three months.

But "You're right. Maybe she is better," is what he ends up saying, forcing a smile on his face for her sake. "We'll still be careful around her, but maybe she's okay now."

Contrary to his words, everything in him is saying to get far, far away. Away from Cemre. Away from his mother. He briefly considers the possibility of moving back to Ankara. But one look at Reyhan's belly tells him that isn't a viable idea. Her due date is less than six weeks away. He can't uproot her now. He'll have to protect her as best he can right here in Istanbul. This is their home. This is their children's home. Emine and Murat are here. Kemal and Suna. Zafer and Defne. His father will be returning soon. Emir isn't going to take his children from their home and their family.

He just can't shake the feeling that something very, very bad is coming. And he can't get past the feeling to take his family and run. So he decides on doing the next best thing.

"What do you think of taking a little trip?" he asks Reyhan, the knot in his stomach uncoiling more and more as the idea becomes more and more solidified. "Just me, you, and Ayla. The baby will be here soon and this may be the last time we have the chance to do something like this for awhile, at least until the baby gets a bit older and we get used to having two kids instead of one."

And it will delay the inevitable confrontations with Cemre by a few more days, he adds silently. He promised himself he wouldn't run away. But a strategic retreat isn't the same thing. He would just feel better knowing Cemre is as far away from his family as possible. At least until he can figure out how to deal with her once and for all.

"That sounds like an excellent idea," Emine chimes in. "I mean, flying is probably out of the question this late into your pregnancy, Reyhan. But I'm sure you two can find some place lovely to take Ayla for a few days."

"And maybe Zafer and Defne would like to come too," Reyhan adds, excitement in her voice. "Oh, Emir, this is going to be so much fun."

Her smile melts away the anxiety he was feeling. The idea makes her so happy that he almost forgets the real reason for leaving. She's right. This will be fun. Some time away from all the stress is just what they need.

"Then it's settled. Let's do it," Emir smiles, happy to have been able to give her such happiness. "It'll be a pre baby vacation. We'll go, relax, and not have a care in the world."

At the end of the day, their problems will still be here waiting on them when they get back. But being miles and miles away from those problems will make a world of difference. He'll be able to focus on being the husband and father his family deserves. He'll be able to focus on making them happy instead of worrying about keeping them safe.

Little does he know, his worries should have been for himself. Because Cemre spends the week quietly watching from a distance, paying close attention to the travel plans being made. She has a new objective. Her mistake before was going along with Cavidan's goals. Cavidan wanted to get rid of Reyhan. Cemre knows now that won't be possible, not with someone as powerful as Emine Yilmaz protecting Reyhan. No. She has to shift her focus to getting what she really wants ... Emir. Reyhan is irrelevant. Emir is all that matters now. And if he doesn't come willingly, Cemre is prepared to take him by force.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They decide to take their vacation in Izmir. They get a house on the beach with plenty of room for Emir and Reyhan, Zafer and Defne, and both children. The couples have a nice, quiet time with sun filled, stress free days. On some days, the girls - Reyhan, Defne and Ayla - have spa visits while the guys stay home with Baby Daniel. On other days, the guys get to spend time out on the boat, sometimes taking Ayla along. She's become quite the little fisherman. Then on nights like tonight, the kids long asleep, the two couples have time to cuddle under the stars on the back deck.

"Baby is coming soon," Defne, lounging in Zafer's arms, says to Emir and Reyhan. "I won't even ask if you're ready because I don't think anyone is ever truly ready."

"The baby is sure ready," Reyhan says with a slight wince when she gets a strong kick. "Not much room in there for him. He's getting pretty restless."

"I remember those days fondly," Defne says with a wistful smile. She reaches over and gives Reyhan's belly a pat. "And sometimes not so fondly I'll admit. It's a wonder this one here stuck with me."

She turns to give Zafer an adoring gaze.

"You had lured me in by then," Zafer laughs. "That period of time right after we got married up until about halfway through her last trimester, she couldn't keep her hands off of me. The baby books aren't kidding when they talk about those extra hormones. She was very ..."

"Zafer!" Defne turns bright red and covers his mouth with her hand. "Don't listen to him. Besides, I heard no complaints from you about me being ... extra affectionate."

"Extra horny," Zafer mutters under his breath, ducking a playful swat from Defne. He gives her a quick kiss, which calms her down.

"Why would we complain?" Emir adds, giving Reyhan a wink as he remembers one night in particular. Well, it was a whole week really.

"I wasn't that bad," she says with a blush, giving him a warning glare to keep his mouth shut. He just laughs.

"I have four words for you ... peanut butter ice cream." He gives her a knowing grin when she sucks in a quick breath and bites her lip.

For the first six months or so, her cravings had been mostly for crackers and out of season fruit. But right around the seven month mark she went through a phase where all she wanted was peanut butter ice cream and only if she could lick it off his chest. And of course one thing would lead to another and they'd end up having sex. Almost constantly. For an entire week. Best week of his life, really. He grins again.

"I need air," she says, cheeks fully flushed now.

Emir laughs, but decides not to mention they're already outside. He just helps her up off of the lounge chair and follows her down to the beach. He briefly notices a small boat floating off the shoreline, but doesn't pay much attention to it. This part of the beach is private, accessible to only the houses along this strip. Must be one of the neighbors.

"You know," he says when he catches up to Reyhan and takes her hand. "I'm sure if I search hard enough, I can find a store still open that might have peanut butter ice cream."

"Jerk," she laughs, playfully jabbing her elbow into his side. "Because now I have a taste for it."

He throws an arm over her shoulder and pulls her to a stop. He cups her face with his hands and drops his forehead to her forehead.

"Anything for you," he whispers. He smiles before giving her a kiss. She reaches up and wraps her arms around his neck, pulling him closer to her. Well, trying to pull him closer. Her belly prevents it. She lets out an impatient moan, making him laugh again.

He turns her around and wraps his arms around her, allowing her to lean back into his embrace. They stare out at the moon reflecting off the water for a few minutes. But a few minutes is all they have. She starts to do a little dance that he has come to recognize well.

"Bathroom break?" he asks.

"Not enough room for both the baby and my bladder, I'm afraid," she says with an eye roll. "Hold my place. I'll be right back."

She waddles back towards the house. Defne and Zafer are on their way back inside too, but they see Reyhan coming across the beach and decide to wait for her. When they all get safely inside, Emir turns back towards the water. It really is peaceful out here. But that peace is shattered when he hears a cry for help. He searches the beach and his eyes land on that small boat from earlier.

"Help!"

The cry comes a bit louder this time and he calls out too.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

Worried when he gets no response, he wades out to the boat. It's close enough the water barely comes up to his knees before he reaches it.

"Hello?" he calls again as he climbs aboard. "Is everyone alright?"

He frowns in confusion when he notices no one at the wheel. Too late he realizes the person is behind him. And has hit him over the head with something hard and solid. His ears ring and his vision goes dark as his body falls forward. He's unconscious before he even hits the bottom of the boat.

Cemre gives him a few seconds to make sure he's truly out. Then she gives him the shot for good measure. He won't be waking up for a long time. She looks around to make sure no one is around before starting up the boat. The further she gets from the shore, the easier her breathing becomes. She did it. She actually did it. Emir is hers now. And she won't let anyone take him away from her.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Emir is nowhere to be found and it's taking everything in Reyhan not to completely break down.

Ten minutes. She was only gone for ten minutes, if that. She went to the bathroom, checked in on Ayla and then went back out to the beach. She stopped for another second to get the blanket off the lounge chair, but was soon back on her way to the spot where she and Emir had been standing. He was gone. She looked up and down the beach but saw no one. She reached for her phone to call him, but remembered she left her phone inside because the dress she was wearing didn't have pockets. So she called out for him. Yelled for him. Screamed. Her screams must have turned into panic because the next thing she knew, Zafer had run up beside her. She told him what was going on and he too began to yell for Emir. He sent her inside and began to run up and down the beach himself.

No Emir.

They couldn't call him because he had also left his phone inside. Zafer had driven around, searching for him. Maybe he just wanted to take a walk and lost track of time. Maybe he wanted to go to the store. He had mentioned the ice cream earlier. Maybe he went for ice cream. But no matter where they looked, they couldn't find him.

They eventually had to bring in the police. By then, Emine and Murat had arrived. Defne had called them because Reyhan was not okay. And with her being the last person to see Emir, the police were not being kind. After she told them everything she remembered several times, they finally gave her a break. A doctor had come then and had given her a mild sedative.

And now she sits, exactly 24 hours from the time he went missing, and stares at the beach. The police are still out there. They're searching the waters just in case ...

She closes her eyes and rubs her hand furiously on her belly. She can't think of the possibility that he's in the water. That he somehow drowned. That he's forever lost to her. She refuses to consider that explanation. He's not dead. He's just gone. But she has no idea where or how to find him.

"Emir," she sighs out his name, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Come back to me. Come back to us."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Emir groans when he comes back to consciousness. Pain. It's all he can feel. His head is pounding and he can't quite remember why. He slowly opens his eyes and looks around. A room. A hospital room. Why is he at the hospital?

"Reyhan!" he says, trying to sit up to look for her. Is Reyhan in the hospital? But when he's unable to move, he realizes he's strapped to the bed. He's the one in the hospital. Not Reyhan. She must be okay, he thinks to himself with some relief. But where is she? And why is he strapped to the bed. He calls out, trying to get anyone's attention. Eventually someone comes in. A nurse maybe.

"Excuse me, my wife? Is she here?"

"One second, Emir bey. I'll go get her."

Another sigh of relief. Reyhan really is okay. She'll come and explain why he's here. He smiles towards the door when it opens again. But the smile falls when he sees who's standing there. It isn't Reyhan.

"Cemre?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

397K 20.3K 37
"𝘕𝘰, 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴. 𝘔𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘶𝘮𝘴𝘦 𝘱𝘺𝘢𝘢𝘳 𝘯𝘢𝘩𝘪 𝘬𝘢𝘳𝘵𝘪 𝘍𝘢𝘩𝘢𝘥. 𝘔𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘺 𝘥𝘪𝘭 𝘮𝘦𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘶𝘮𝘩𝘢𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘺𝘦...
1.5K 108 70
Reyhan and Emir's worlds collide when their siblings, Can and Zara, fall in love despite their contrasting family backgrounds wanting to marry each o...
24.2K 763 30
After their terrible split over the summer following the cheating scandal, Reyhan and Emir have finally gotten their relationship back on track. But...
46.5K 1.9K 68
It was love at first sight for both of them. Though they never accepted this, but it was there. They felt that spark when the very first time their e...