Late Eighteen

By Immaculate_twins

We really don't have to be part of the crowd all the time. You can be in the crowd but not part of it. Don't... More

00| Prologue
01| Chapter One
02| Chapter two
03| Chapter three
04| Chapter four
06| Chapter six
07| Chapter seven
08| Chapter eight
09| Chapter nine
10| Chapter ten
11| Chapter eleven
12| Chapter twelve
13| Chapter thirteen
14| Chapter fourteen
15| Chapter fifteen
16| Chapter Sixteen
17| Chapter Seventeen
18| Chapter eighteen
19| Chapter nineteen
20| Chapter twenty
21| Chapter twenty one
22| Chapter twenty two
23| Chapter twenty three
24| Chapter twenty four
25| Chapter twenty five
26| Chapter twenty six
27| Chapter twenty seven
28| Chapter twenty eight
29| Chapter twenty nine
30| Chapter thirty
31| Chapter thirty one
32| Chapter thirty two
33| Chapter thirty three
34| Chapter thirty four
35| Chapter thirty five
36| Chapter thirty six
37| Chapter thirty seven
38| Chapter thirty eight
39| Chapter thirty nine
40| Chapter forty

05| Chapter five

195 84 21
By Immaculate_twins

I was on my knees facing my parents, my head cast on the floor. The tears wouldn't stop flowing, they ran down my eyes like a river. Zoe and Zion were also with me, on their knees, begging my parents for me.

Mum hissed and turned her face away.

"Mum please, she didn't mean it, I promise." Zion begged.

"I see no reason why she's been extremely punished anyway, she has learnt her lesson so what is it?"

Zoe snorted and mum's face turned red. See this one, we're trying to solve an already laid down problem that I caused and she's still adding more.

Mumu girl.

"Watch your mouth young lady! I'm still your mother and I control your life whether you like it or not." Mum snapped. I shook my head, this was getting out of hand already.

"Not for long though." Zoe mumbled quietly but mum heard.

"Oh I see, so you also plan to be like your disgrace of a sister?" She pointed at me but I kept my head down. "Well, let me tell you what, I'll disown you before you bring disgrace to this family."

"Better yet."

Zoe cussed, rolling her eyes.

Zion hit her on the shoulder, glaring at her with thin eyes.

"Shut up Zoe, we're trying to solve a problem and you're adding to it, what's your problem?"

"It's you that have a problem o."

Zion ignored her and turned to mummy, his eyes apologetic.

"We're really sorry mum, I promise it won't happen again, right Zoe?"

Zion asked glaring at Zoe. Zoe scoffed and glared right back.

"Yeah, sorry."

"It's me she's talking to like that abi? Yeah sorry," Mum said mimicking Zoe. "One day, you'll tell me who the head of this house is, me or you?"

"Actually it's Dad."

The look on mum's face was enough to break a bottle, Zion held her back before she could do anything.

"Anyway, we're pleading on Ruth's behalf mum. I give you my word, she's changed now and I promise you that she won't do it again."

Mum looked past Zion to my pathetic self on the floor and she glared at me.

"This one? I doubt she would change. Before you know it, she'd be a roadside stripper sleeping with men for money. She needs to be taught a lesson before that happens, I can't afford to let her ruin the image of this family."

"Perfect image my foot."

Zoe snickered quietly so only I could ear. Only God knows what would have happened if she had heard. But she wasn't particularly lying though, our family was far from being perfect. Every family has problems, it just depends on the way each one handles it.

"No one's ruining any image mum. She's our sister mum, and your daughter too. Your first daughter for that matter, your first child. How would you feel if your friends were to see her learning a trade instead of going to school?"

Mum hissed again, rolling her eyes at the same time.

"And what's the problem with that? I could care less, she needs to learn her lesson."

"Mum please. You know somewhere in your heart that you wouldn't like that to happen, please just let her go to school."

Mum didn't reply. She placed her legs on the sofa, ignoring us all together.

"For heaven's sake, she's in SSS 3 mum. Her exams are coming soon, she can't afford to fail them."

At the mention of my upcoming exams, I burst into a big fat ugly tears. Mum glared at me but I couldn't stop crying.

Zion was right, I couldn't afford to fail them, they're external exams. God, is this how my life's going to end? Was this how you destined my life to be?

"You all can leave now, I'll discuss it with your father when he's back."

"Thank God." Zoe breath out exhausted but Zion remained adamant.

"No mum, it's either you accept now or we stay on the floor till night fall."

Mum laughed out. "See this one o, is it me my leg would pain? If you like, stay there till tomorrow morning, it's your problem, not mine."

"Mum Please."

"The two of you should leave my sight now, and take that disgraceful skank with you. If you like, let her influence both of you too, you're only doing yourself."

"Mum please. We're on our knees begging you, doesn't that count as something?"

Mum looked at Zion in annoyance, and I had no doubt that she was already slapping sense into us ten times over in her head.

"No o, why don't you come slap me to make me agree?"

"If I could, I would."

That was Zoe talking, and I swear I almost jumped at her. She was only making matters worse with her useless come backs and it was already ticking me off. If not that Mum was here, I would have had a 'quiet' word with her.

"Mum Please." Zion pleaded again. "Remember, you're a Christian and the Bible says we should always forgive and love our neighbors—"

"Alaye, please don't bring the Bible into this." Mum snapped but I could see her already relenting.

"Exactly mum. Please, for God our Father?"

Zion said, the last straw breaking the camel's back. Mum sighed and turned to me, I held my breathe. Zion could be so persuasive, he could win an Oscar because of his acting.

"Fine, but only on one condition."

"What's that?" I asked immediately. She glared at me and I shrunk back.

"No more phone until we say so. The phone and the liberty we gave you was what led to your misbehavior. And your stupidity of course."

"What?" Zoe screeched loudly. "That's shit!"

"Language Zoe! Remember, I'm still your—" Mum snapped.

"Mother, I know mum."

"The three of you should get out of my sight now before I slap your sense away."

I quickly shot up, muttering a small 'thank you' as I made to hug her. The look she gave me stopped me, I guess she was still angry with me.

Zion gave her a big hug.

"Just so you know, you're the best mom on earth, we're so lucky to have you." Zion said pecking her cheeks.

"Unfortunately, some people think I'm not." She said, directly looking at me.

Fuck my life.

♦♦♦♦♦

We got to school ten minutes before assembly. The weather was a little gloomy because of the rain that had fallen the night before. I clutched my cardigan around me.

"Ruth my girl, how you dey nah?" Onome, one of my classmates greeted. I smiled at her.

"I dey o, why everywhere dry like this nah?"

Only few of our classmates were in class, and they were gathered in a small group, talking animatedly.

"Haven't you heard the latest news?" She asked, inching closer to me.

"What news?" I asked, confused.

"Shey na under rock you dey live? Haven't you checked your phone of recent?"

She quirked her eyebrows at me and I squeezed mine together, completely confused.

"My mum seized it, long story. Anyway, tell me Jor, what happened?"

"Mad o. Anyway, haven't you heard that Beatrice is a lesbian? She was caught last week yesterday in the toilet romancing after school. Her mum came to school today, they're both in the principal's office."

I stared dumbfounded, my mouth hanging open.

"You mean Beatrice, the one in SSS 2C?" I asked just to confirm. It couldn't be, she looked so quiet.

"Yes nah, that light girl that's always topping the class."

"But how? She looks so—so—"

"Innocent? Who would have thought she would be involved in a thing like that?"

"Life isn't really predictable." I nodded in agreement, pulling my bag closer to myself.

"Onome the gossiper, you've started gossiping again abi?" Samson, one of our classmates joined in the conversation.

The look Onome gave him was rather threatening.

"You know I wasn't talking to you Samson, mind your business." Onome shot back before patting me on the shoulder, preparing to walk away.

"Shut up Jare. Common Sense you don't have, yet you know how to gossip."

I slipped my lips into a thin line to prevent me from laughing. I watched them go back and forth between each other.

"I'm grateful, ateast it's only sense I don't have. I can't say the same for you though, the whole of your brain cells was exchanged in form of big head. Big head with no sense, mumu."

"If I say igbo girls are stupid now, you won't believe me, all talk and no single action. Ode." The bell rang for assembly and all students scampered out amidst shouting and whispering. "I don't have your time now, when I get back from the assembly, we'll continue this conversation. For now, continue gossiping your life away."

"Jobless human being, I wonder what Shade sees in you, you this fat pig with no brain." Onome hissed.

"At least I have a girlfriend, what do you have? You only recognize three things— money, gossip and food. Apart from that, your brain's empty."

Samson walked away, leaving a very furious Onome behind. "Bastard." She said, clenching her teeth.

"Onome, calm down, you know how Samson is." I moved to pat her shoulder but she pushed my hands away.

"Abeg, get away. If not for you that I wanted to explain things to, that idiot wouldn't have insulted me like that."

"How is this my fault na? Did I force you to tell me anything?" I asked, laughing lightly.

I stopped when I saw the expression on her face, she was really serious.

"Please get out." She snapped, walking to the assembly, an obvious scowl on her face.

"Okay I'm sorry, forgive me." She didn't reply and I burst into laughter. "See this one o, I'm still begging you and you're refusing to answer, who you help?"

"Mumu girl." She hissed, disappearing into the hall.

What did I do now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 4.6K 41
{COMPLETED} "This is the sequel to The Wrong Crowd." "I have not broken your heart - you have broken it; and in breaking it, you have broken mine."...
77.8K 11.4K 80
For seventeen years, I was trapped in a boring life, the people I made contact with everyday are my parent, Julia and no one else, my aunt drops by o...
576 165 21
The teenage period is usually not always easy. You make mistakes, you learn from them. It's like a moulding phase towards adulthood, which tends to b...
45.8K 10.6K 37
A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL "You have got your tities out and panties in a twist but your crush doesn't still notice you." Ore is a sixteen-year-old unde...