Vixen

By StripperPoleVibes

The only family vixen has ever known are the Santiago's. These are the only people she would die for, and be... More

Character Aesthetics
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Character Aesthetics
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 31

220 5 2
By StripperPoleVibes

*gulps*
~Reece~
👻

The moment I stepped into the large ball room, the music engulfed me. Violins and cellos and pianos played in perfect harmony, filling the room with a almost tangible sound which surfed the crowd.

I took a moment to just appreciate the sound of the orchestra situated at the far end of the hall. It reminded me of how I often forgot to enjoy simple things, like music; even if it were out dated crap like waltzing.

"So what's the plan?" Harley leaned towards me and whispered in the dim light.

"There is no plan." I smiled at her pull back, and walked over to the bar. The counter was brimming with stuck up men talking, laughing or drowning their sorrows; there really was no in-between.

Harley skipped a few paces to catch up to me before I reached the counter, "What do you mean there's no plan?" She hurried out.

"I mean I don't have a plan." I waved down the bartender dressed in a black and white suit like the rest of the staff, "Two—"

"No." Harley cut me off, grabbing my forearm and spinning me to face her. I pinched my brows together trying to decipher her expression beneath her fancy mask, "Why don't you have a fucking plan?" She whisper-shouted so no one close enough could hear.

"Because I didn't think of one."

"God Vixen." She huffed, "You can't come to one of these events blind." Her arms flailed in frustration.

"I'm never blind, Harls. I have eyes everywhere." I whispered the last part, and Harley looked around discretely, her pretty eyes bouncing around the ball room.

Recognition lit up in her gaze as I'm assuming she spotted all of the spies I had scattered around as servants etc. I placed them there to listen mostly; people were oblivious to the help, and will say anything without knowing that they're being listened to.

"The 'plan' is to get information out of the rich drunk idiots who can't hold their liquor."

"I know that. But how do you plan on doing it?"

I shrugged, "Go with the flow."

Harley let go of my forearm.

"We at least need to give them a chance," I continued, "Make them think they're safe, before we pry for what we came here for."

"I can't believe this,"

"Believe what?" I leaned against the cold marble counter, unwillingly inhaling the potent aroma of aftershave, emanating off these men at the bar. "That I'm doing something so... you?"

"Yes! How can you be so reckless?"

I tilted my head, holding back a chuckle, "Loosen up Harls."

"You have no right to use my lines against me." She murmured.

I poked her shoulder playfully, "Take your own advice. I'm in the mood for a change."

"I can't believe this." She repeated.

I smiled, "Expect the unexpected." I said before turning back to the bar, "Two Balkan Vodka shots."

"Actually, just one." Harley corrected, "I'll have a pink gin and tonic."

I was glad to hear she didn't want her brother's favourite drink. It meant that she was at a certain level of sanity, and it made me happy to know. Although I couldn't say the same, I missed him particularly that night.

"Right away, Ma'am." The bartender said as he got the top shelf bottles.

"Good choice." A male figure said to me croakily from down the bar. He cleared his throat and took the shot of clear liquid in front of him.

I didn't respond as the bar tender came back with my own drink, "Where's Jay?" Harley asked.

I thought about the last time I saw Jay, "I have no idea." He was quite unpredictable; he could have been at home with Tyler, or gathering information; or partying. Although, he said he would come for support, and I trusted that, "He might have been caught up."

I let the alcohol burn down my throat. I never really liked the taste of vodka, I drank it to keep me feeling — to feel close to him, and to feel the pain of the reality and stay grounded. Which is ironic considering how quick I could get drunk on it.

"Yeah..." Harley huffed, "I don't think so." She drowned her drink and slammed the glass back down to the counter with a clash.

I shot my head to her at the noise, as anyone near had also, "What?" I asked.

She had a scowl under her mask, her whole mood shifting, "He didn't get caught up." She sneered in the direction of the male restrooms.

I turned to see what the commotion was about, only to see the back of Jay's fiery red hair as he shoved a blond man through the door.

"Does he not know the meaning of discrete?" Harley stormed across the room. I was right behind her since Jay might have found something or someone useful.

Harley's patience with Jay was thinning. They bickered like siblings — with no filter on what they could say — but loved just as much. So I knew Harley wouldn't hold back on scolding Jay for being so open, and potentially exposing us.

She strutted across the room, her hips swinging, and her target locked. Harley's dress tailed behind her, and her heals clacked on the polished wooden floor.

Men watched her move in awe, before their dates snapped for their attention back.

I slowed, strolling a few paces behind, and taking my time to let everyone drool.

Harley slammed open the door and I let it shut behind me, "—on't say it again!" I heard, "What the fuck are you doing here?" Jay shouted. He had pinned the blond against the tiled wall.

"Jay, do you have a death wish!" Harley sneered, "The Italians are one glance away from knowing we're not here to be fri—"

Jay shifted and I could suddenly recognise the face of the blond, "What are you doing here?" I asked Roman, trapped by Jay's arm.

"What are you doing here?" He shouted back, "And get the fuck off me." Jay looked to me for permission, and I nodded allowing Roman to be released.

Roman straightened to his tall height, and smoothed out his suit. His face wasn't amused but I guessed it had something to do with Jay nearly assaulting him.

"He's a spy." Jay scowled from a few paces away.

"A spy? For who? What the fuck are you on about!" Roman ripped off his plain green mask, matching his eyes nicely, and I could see the anger resonating on his face.

"I caught him going to fucking talk to Giovanni."

Roman's eyes squinted, "Antonio?"

"Oh look at that." Jay rolled his eyes, "They're on a first name basis."

"It's his birthday party, I was going to wish him happy birthday!"

"Yeah yeah, sure. 'Happy birthday Antonio here's my present: all the information I gathered on the Americans'" Jay mocked.

"I am American. He's Vera's father!"

"Oh the in-laws! Wow."

"He's Vera dad?" I clarified.

"Yes. That's why we're here!"

"You can still be a spy." I considered, "Doesn't free you yet."

I looked to Harley who was staring at Roman. She looked betrayed, "No but think about it." She said softly, "We met him in a graveyard where we were visiting my dead family, so he knew it was us. And what are the odds he was there at that time; it was early."

"Willow's Kindergarten is on the other side of the city and traffics a nightmare. We had to go early."

"He would have known I respond to children well if they did their research. So he brought his daughter."

"It was my Willow's Nana's birthday, so yes I brought her."

"Bit of a grim setting for a child?"

"She wanted to come! It was her idea."

"I don't trust it." Harley said softly, almost as if she regretted her words. She had every right to not believe Roman, this didn't look good, but something felt off to me.

"Don't then." Roman snapped, clearly done defending himself, "I don't have to prove anything to you,"

He went to leave, but Jay stepped in front of him, "You think we're gonna let you go? So you can run back to your master and inform him of our plans, I don't fuckin' think so."

"Let me go." Roman sneered as they stood in each other's faces, almost chest to chest.

I walked up to the boys and lightly guided Jay to step to the side. Roman stared down with confusion, "What—"

I pulled out my gun, strapped on my thigh, and held the barrel under his chin. Roman's breath hitched.

"I'll ask you once more. Are you a spy for Antonio?"

"No! No I'm not. I don't even know what shit Antonio is involved with! I don't even speak to him more than once a year for his birthday! He's not even friendly with Vera who's his daughter; I always thought that was suspicious but I assumed that they just had a rough relationship. I had no idea he was involved with the mafia." He rambled.

I raised a brow and looked to Harley.

She looked at Romans pale face and light tremors, and shrugged like she didn't know what to believe anymore.

In our line of work you can't trust anyone. Anyone can create a pantomime of innocence when their life is on the line.

I stepped back and re-secured my pistol. "Go." I demanded.

Roman seemed relieved as he went to the door. But Jay stepped in his way.

I huffed, "Let him go."

Jay looked to me in shock, "You're not serious!"

"I am."

"You're going to let this traitor," he pointed at Roman, "go?"

"He's not a traitor."

"Thank you!" Roman said before storming past us slamming the door on his way out.

"Follow him." I said to Harley. She nodded and left the rest room. I wasn't going to just let him go, there could be more to the story.

I could see the genuine fear as I had my gun to his face. He knew I would do it, maybe that's why he was so scared.

I hoped he wasn't a spy. I liked Roman. He was kind and funny, but who knows whether that was the real Roman or some fake persona to make us trust him.

Left alone, Jay and I just stared at each other, emotionless, until Jay cracked a smile, "I don't even know what to say."

"That was... unexpected."

"Very." He chuckled, "I need a drink."

I nodded and followed him to the bar once more.

Drinking my cocktail, that I decided to try for the first time, and was actually enjoying, the music came to an end. It had been a few hours since we spotted Roman for the first time and I had begun my hunt for information on the disk.

As expected, not many knew anything of use. I had high hopes for a few that I buttered up at the bar, but they were just as useless.

Harley informed us that Roman had ushered Willow home the moment he left the restroom. It struck me as odd how there was a toddler at a mafia event, but maybe they really didn't know. Vera was still around somewhere, but I had Harley keeping an eye on her.

There was static coming from large speakers on the walls and someone cleared their throat, "Ciao! Hello!" He said with a heavy Italian accent.

I looked to where a bald, tanned, man stood with a microphone in his hand, "If I could get you attention for one moment!"

The hall quietened, "Great! As his assistant, I just wanted to say on behalf of Mr Antonio Giovanni, thank you for attending, and I hope you are enjoying your selves." He chuckled, "Also, he is very grateful for any gifts he has received." He gestured to a mountain of presents. "Now it is my pleasure to announce the beginning of the dance, so please if you are taking part, get into position!"

There was a quick round of applause and the crowd diffused from the middle of the ball room.

"Are you really making me do this?" Jay murmured from his stool.

"Yes. This is the perfect opportunity for us to get them talking." I stood, and offered my hand with a smirk.

Jay huffed but took it and we made our way to the edge of the circle.

It had been a while since I had danced this routine. Another reason I avoided balls.

I remember when we made Jay take lessons. Harley, Jake, and I had been taking them as teens for these exact moments, but Jay hadn't even heard of the movements until recently. "This is bullshit." He said, as he would step on our toes.

But the dancing worked out in all of our favours as agility and elegance are transferable skills.

Everyone dancing stood in a large circle with their initial partners, facing inwards, until the music began in a fast rhythm.

We spun and twirled in circles to the beat, "Don't fuck this up." I said to Jay, his hands in mine and dancing.

"Me? Never." He winked, "Look at me," He looked down to his tuxedo, "I'll have the ladies spilling secrets before they can get their hand in mine."

"Let's hope that arrogance plays in your favour."

"It will. It always does." He smiled before untangling our hands and swapping partners. The men swapped one to the left and the women spun before a new partner joined us.

A clammy hand grabbed mine and took the lead. He was clearly balding with sparse brown hair, "You're lookin' gorgeous, sweet'art." He flashed his bright, white dentures.

"Thank you." I forced out, "So how are you enjoying your evening?"

"It was horrid, until I saw you an' that lovely lady in red walk in. You really got me going," Disgust curled in my gut, "Especially after the shit show Antonio called service."

I internally cringed at him thinking about Harley in any way and ignored his other crude comments.

I fake laughed, "So you know Antonio?"

His movements were sloppy and uncontrolled. I knew he'd have a few things to spill.

"Oh, I'll let you in on a little secret." He leaned in closer and the alcohol on his breath stank, "I took a lone from his mafia— oh I shouldn't have said that!" He laughed, "But I'm sure an angel like you doesn't know any of those manly organisations, do you?"

"Know what?" I smiled innocently enough for his drunk brain to process. I knew exactly what he was on about; Giovanni was famous for being a loan shark among the underground. I knew where he was getting his income and who he had in his pocket; it was a part of my job to know.

"That's what I thought. So I was bankrupt! But then I couldn't pay back the lone and now he owns my business."

"Awe." I nearly threw up.

He smirked, "Don't feel too bad, it's happened to everyone he has business with. I'm pretty sure it's how he gets his money."

"What business do you have?" I batted my eye lashes.

He smiled wickedly, "Coke."

Moving on.

Thankfully the dance shifted again and another man was past onto me. He seemed decent, almost not a total waste of space, until he told me how he lost his front tooth in the back of an ally.

I went around all the drunken men participating in the dance. I flirted and threatened but there was nothing anyone was giving up that I hadn't already known.

I started to feel at a lost cause and hoped Jay or Harley had found anything useful.

My guess is that Jay had some luck. Gossip spreads like wildfire among the wives and girlfriends of these men. They were totally underestimated; I wish it weren't the case but it was, so we had to take advantage of that.

Chances are, these men didn't know anything. Antonio must have kept his cards close to his chest, so we needed another plan.

Another man took my hand as we nearly came full circle and the dance was ending. The movements slowed as the song drifted to its finish.

His hand slid right into mine but I wasn't repulsed like the others. It took me by surprise as I embraced his hand and enjoyed his touch.

Unlike the others, his other hand gently touched my waist and snaked around my back bringing me in closer so my head was by his shoulder.

His breathing was calm and relaxing as I inhaled his natural scent. He didn't have the overwhelming aftershave which damn-near poisoned me tonight, it was subtle and intoxicating. And familiar.

Just before the final note, he leant close to my ear, "Thanks for the dance."

My head shot up to his face and I stepped back but he had already turned into the crowd.

My heart pounded and my eyes were wide.

"No." I whispered to myself. I rubbed my eyes and blinked, "no way."

My breathing picked up.

I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, "Why did I think that."

"It's not him."

"Fuck."

But I ran into the crowd.

People had started talking and laughing again, but my mind blocked them out. I was consumed in thought. Everything was a blur as I ran.

"Vixen!" Harley shouted behind me.

I wasn't thinking straight. My mind was focused on one thing that I didn't even consider stopping.

I shoved past people until I got to the only door in the direction he left.

"Vi!" Jay shouted as well.

I got the the door and pushed it open. It was an empty hall with a blue tint on the lights.

He was at the end of the hallway and pushed through the door.

"Hey!" I shouted, just before the door closed, but he didn't acknowledge it.

I jogged down the hall, my eyes stuck on the exit. But when I reached the door and burst through it, I was met with a strip club bustling with people. The blue light continued on as the dancers climbed the poles and spun.

The music was loud and heavy. And there was no sign of what direction he went.

I sighed dejectedly. My heart dropping.

"It couldn't have been."

"Vixen!" Harley shouted from the end of the blue hall which connected to the ballroom. I turned to see Jay was with her, and they both looked concerned.

I closed the door to the strip club, muffling the blaring music. I looked between Harley and Jay, "I- I..."

"Are you okay?" Harley rushed over, Jay right behind her. Harley's brows were furrowed as she examined me.

"Did you find something?" Jay asked.

I shook my head, unable to speak. I knew if I did I would start crying, and I refused to cry.

"Okay," Harley said, obviously not believing me, "Well Vera's gone."

I cleared my throat, but my voice was weak with emotion, "Where?"

"We don't know. I was trailing her the whole night and she disappeared."

"She probably just went home." I offered.

"No, I think somethings wrong."

"Everything's wrong." I said vaguely, not referring to Vera or the disk.

Harley and Jay shared a look, "Vi..." She said softly, "You can tell us." She reassured.

"I know," I nodded, "I'm just, I'm just losing it tonight." I shock my head, banishing the invasive thoughts.

"Maybe we should go," Jay offered, "There was nothing here anyway, the girls I danced with knew fuck all. And if you have nothing, then there's no point in us being here."

"Yeah." Harley agreed. I nodded, keeping my speaking to a minimum. I wasn't going to break down; not tonight.

My mind was playing tricks. Probably that fucking cocktail. I needed to sleep it off and wake up with a fresh mind.

It's okay.

I'm okay.

Harley wrapped her arm over my shoulder and guided me back down the hall and towards home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.5K 581 49
{Sequel to The Deal} Hope is back with vengeance. Every single person who had the audacity to threaten her and her daughter will pay, even if she en...
24.7K 820 11
When you work with the Mafia, you often expect the past to come and bite you in the ass one day. It happened to Rhius, no doubt it would happen to me...
17.7K 812 46
Their favourite cocktail? One part betrayal mixed with bloodshed, One part secrets, half-part death with a splash of love....on rocks. "My Sisters wa...
1.8M 74.5K 104
Pushing him away from her, she screamed at him ; " This wedding was an option for you.. But not for me.! You really think that if given the opportuni...