TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

By lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... More

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 22

6.1K 181 30
By lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 22

Aiden

I should have known that Leighton would worm her way into an invitation tonight. I should have planned to deal with her better than I am. I know how she is about these red carpet deals. She would find a way here including manipulating her parents in the process. It's not like she hasn't done it before.

I don't seem to be handling my dad any better. It's like he's forgotten about everything I told him about Leighton and what's been happening with her. Why would he just ignore everything I've said to appease Leighton or her parents?

I don't understand it.

Standing in line to get Grandma and Riley drinks, Dad joins me. He's not sly about his intentions, he doesn't even try to hide it. I know he's getting me alone so he can say his piece without Grandma getting involved. That's fine, I've got a few things to say to him too. I don't think Grandma would approve of my comments either.

"Aiden, you can't do this. We have an arrangement with the Greers. It's important for you to work out what problems you have with Leighton. You need to get things back on track." Turning slowly, I'm appalled at what is coming out of my dad's mouth right now.

"An arrangement? What fucking arrangement? I was in high school when I started dating her! I wasn't aware of any arrangement. What did you do, Dad!?" My temper was easily getting the best of me.

"It's nothing that concerns you. It's business Aiden. Just fix this with Leighton now. If you want the little mouse for your side piece..."

"Side piece?" I yelled louder than planned and had several people around us turning around to stare at us. "What the fuck is wrong with you!? She's my girlfriend and I won't fix anything with Leighton."

"Okay! Enough! Let's go for a walk."Matt stopped our conversation before it could go any further. Blake and Matt pulled us from the line and pushed us out the side door to the garden.

They moved us away from the main building to a gazebo in the garden. We were far enough from the event that we wouldn't attract attention and we were in a darker area of the garden so the press can't see who's out here.

"What the fuck are you two arguing over?" Blake glares between us.

"Ask him! He made the fucking arrangement apparently!" I barked out pissed that I didn't realize he had done something to screw with me. I should have known better. Clenching my fists, I'm barely keeping my mouth in check.

Matt steps between us. He's known my dad since they were kids. Matt's a part of this family not just because of his marriage to Chels but because he has been one of us from the beginning. He knows us inside and out. Grandma, I know, trusts him completely.

"What arrangement, Adam?" Matt asked his concern clear in his eyes, his face and his voice.

Blake wasn't as laid back as he turned on his brother and stepped forward getting in his face and pronouncing every word through gritted teeth. "What did you do now?"

Now? What does he mean now? Has my dad done something else that's pissed off the family? I know I'm not around the house as much being in college but I thought my family was pretty solid growing up. Sure we have our fights but this sounds like a lot more than just an argument between them.

"It's not your concern. It's Bradford Engineering business."  Dad gets that snotty tone that I know Blake hates.

Grabbing the lapels of his jacket, Blake slams my dad against the beam behind him. "I'm a Bradford so it sure as fuck concerns me! Now what did you do!?"

Dad pushes Blake off him with a hard shove and walking around to pace, he straightens his jacket, adjusted his cuffs and fidgeted with his tie. Putting himself into what he sees as a proper look for a Bradford. Eyeing Blake with an evil eye glare before he decides he wasn't going to get a choice but to explain his actions. Dad straightens his back and for the first time looks down his nose at Blake. It was something I never thought I'd see.

"Why don't you just focus on playing ball? It's the only thing you're good at. Some of us have real jobs, we live in the real world and have to solve real problems." Dad's snide comments hurt not just me but Blake.

"Football is a real job. I'd like to see you play. Oh that's right you weren't good enough to make it big." Blake gets in dad's face again.

"Stop! Go to your corners. Adam what arrangement did you make?" Matt urges him to explain again. Dad rubs his face before he gives him any answers.

"It was important we were established with Greer Inc. His daughter and Aiden are the same age, they even went to the same schools at the time, it was easy enough to get our foot in the door with them through the kids. Once it looked like Leighton and Aiden were in it for the long haul, I made the deal." Adam explained causing the three of us to really worry what exactly this deal was.

"Greer Inc. is a GC. We've got Drake Construction and our own general contractors, we don't have any reason to link our business with his." Matt may be our sports manager but the guy is informed of every aspect of Drake Construction and Bradford Engineering business dealings as is Uncle Lance.

"Drake isn't cutting it. Emma is holding us back like dad knew she would. We need to sever ties if we want to expand. We can be bigger, take over the construction industry all over the world if we want to." My dad has aspirations just like my grandfather did. The old man was all about the money, at least that's what I've been told. It looks like good ol' dad's following in his footsteps.

"Em has never held anyone back!" Blake was pissed.

"Emma runs Drake just fine. The shareholders are happy with the job she's done." Matt reasons.

"We don't need to get bigger! We've got holdings all over California and Texas, New York and Maine. Ma wants to start a project in Arizona now. You didn't run this by her, did you? This is her company, Adam! Are you fucking serious!? What was the deal exactly!?" Blake is livid. He knows nothing goes through the business without it being run past Grandma first. If dad didn't do it this way, he's trying to hide something from the family.

"We need Greer. We need their development process and their architecture department is excellent." He's not answering the question.

"Aiden, go back to the party." Blake tells me without looking away from my dad. "Your Grandma is going to wonder where you are."

As I begin to refuse, I'm shut down."This involves me! I have every..."

"Go back now, Aiden! I'm not asking. I'll handle this." Blake turns his head looking me directly in the eyes to convey his message. Whatever my dad has done it's bigger than me and Riley.

I don't argue with him anymore but start to head back still majorly pissed off and now more than a little worried about what exactly my dad has done. Matt pats my shoulder as I walk by him and nods, he's the conscious of all of us and he won't let Uncle Blake do anything that will hurt him or Grandma.

Still this doesn't mean Blake isn't going to have some explaining of his own to do when he kicks dad's ass. I do as I'm told and head back inside with a final glance out at the darkened gazebo and the silhouettes of three men I have looked up to all my life.

Coming back I head back to the bar and quickly grab drinks for Riley and Grandma as promised. While I'm waiting Leighton makes her move, coming over under the guise of getting a drink when she is really planning her little game to go along with whatever it is my father has planned.

"Aiden, I know you're mad at me. I made a mistake but the least you could do is hear me out." Leighton wraps herself around my arm looking up at me and batting her fake lashes at me. "After all you were the one who cheated on me so many times and I forgave you. It's the least you can do."

Oh no, I'm not being manipulated by her anymore. Prying her hands off me I look around for some back up. The guy's are too far away from the bar and Grandma is keeping Riley busy so neither are looking in this direction.

"Well son, looks like you're in quite the predicament here." I feel the hand on my shoulder and look up to see my half uncle's humorous grin down at me.

"Hey Beckett. Yeah, I guess I am. How about a hand?" I hope he doesn't remember all the pranks we used to play on him when he'd come visit. Or the smartass remarks we make when we are sure he's in the mood to take a joke.

"Leighton." Just the way he says her name tells me he doesn't like her. "Throwing yourself at a guy isn't appealing to anyone. You're a pretty girl, you can get another guy easily. What's the point of this game you're playing when you know he doesn't want you?"

"He doesn't have a choice if Bradford Engineering is to stay on top. Daddy's taken care of everything. Maybe you should just stick with the grunt work and let those of us who know how to work the deal do our work." Leighton looks at Beckett like he's one of the green kids on the construction sites.

"Kid, you have no idea what you're talking about. Georgia runs BE, not your dad." Beckett goes on as if she's a snotty nose kid. "Why don't you go back to shopping and makeup, and spending your daddy's money that's where you belong."

He pissed her off as Leighton, completely offended, storms off muttering about finding her dad to deal with this. Shaking my head, I take the waiting drinks and start to the table with Beckett beside me.

"What was she talking about, Aiden?" Beckett isn't one to play games so I know he's not going to like whatever has happened.

"I don't know exactly but Matt and Blake are confronting dad outside by the gazebo. If you hurry you might be able to join in." I'm not going to do anything to save my dad's ass on this one. He's going to have to deal with the repercussions on his own.

"I might just do that. You get your ass over to Georgia, she's looking for you." Beckett warns me and with a nod, I quicken my pace to the table. When I get there and look back, I see Beckett heading out the door.

"Ahh... thank you, sweet pea. I was wondering if you were going straight to the barrel for this whiskey." Her smile doesn't reach her eyes and I see her look around the room. She knows exactly who's missing from the family. "You want to tell me what your daddy's done now?"

"I think you should wait for Uncle Blake and Matt. They kicked me out of it." I sit next to Riley and run my hand down her back to soothe both of us. "I want a dance, Grandma but I need to dance with my girl first."

"I'm glad to see you brought your manners. I'll have that dance with you later. I see my date is free now and I'm going to dance with him." Grandma pats Riley on the hand and walked away to meet Jim by Landon's table.

Leading Riley to the floor, I pull her close and sway slowly to the music. Her head rests on my shoulder, her eyes closed and I keep her tight to my chest.

"Aiden what's going on? Georgia is upset and I saw you arguing with your dad." Riley is aware there's a problem, so much for our romantic night.

"It's nothing to worry about. Riley please remember that you are who I want to be with not Leighton. No matter what anyone says I want you." I hope she believes me.

Looking around the room over Riley's head, I notice Grandma and Jim as they join the dance then I see Landon, his mouth dropped open as he stares across the way.

Swiveling my head to see who he's going gaga over, I see her and I have to say my long lost cousin looks good. Beckett's niece, Hope is talking to her mom and Laney and wow has she grown up. Long auburn hair, big blue eyes and a cherub heart shaped face with a bow of red lips on luminous skin. She definitely is a mix of her mom and dad.

Talk about a screwed up mess

We don't see Hope often since they live in Texas with Beckett. Her mom, Quinn, made the decision a long time ago that she wanted to keep out of the family business. Although Quinn works for the Inn in Moss Bluff, she normally doesn't come to these things. There's a reason Landon doesn't recognize her.

"Who is that?" Riley asks when she sees Wyatt and Landon move in to greet Hope.

"My cousin. Uh...Half cousin, I guess. Hope, she's Quinn's daughter. Quinn is my grandfather's daughter but Grandma thinks of Quinn as hers, same with Beckett, Quinn's brother. Hope lives in Texas, she doesn't get out here much." That branch of the family I honestly don't know as much about.

The flashes go off near the main entrance. A huge commotion with the press and people gathering around to get a view of the people coming in. Whoever it is, they're drawing the crowd's attention.

As the press is pushed back, the latest arrivals walk into the room. Seeing Reese and Molly Tateman, I know Roan is going to flip out. Then I see his little sister Sarah and damn, she's grown up nice. I'm not the only guy in the room to notice that either. Harper and Sawyer are right there to greet the beautiful young Sarah.

Looking around the room I search for Roan. I don't see him but then I'm not in the best position to look either. Taking Riley's hand, we weave through the crowd and I search for our troubled player and there's no sign of him. I better find him before his father does. Without some warning this won't end well.

Riley

Georgia did her best to keep me busy in conversation but I saw Aiden's dad talking to him at the bar. I also watched, as Georgia did too, as Blake and Matt rushed over to intervene. There's some kind of family argument going on that no one wants to tell Georgia about and Aiden seems to be in the middle of.

I assume Leighton is right there too

Aiden tried to act like he wasn't furious when he came back to the table. I couldn't miss the way he was watching the room as we danced. The way his eyes scanned for what I assumed was his father but then he got sidetracked with family. A good thing I think, it seemed to settle his mood.

His cousin Hope is stunning. Seeing her with her mom I would have thought they were sisters instead of mother/daughter. Beckett seems very overprotective of both of them. As Landon tries to talk to her but gets something said to him by his mom before Hope goes off with her family. Landon didn't look too deterred yet and made his way over with his mom and sat with them.

We headed back to our table and saw Georgia in a heated conversation with a couple that Aiden seems to know. "Oh shit. This isn't good."

Aiden hurries us over as the couple look at Aiden like whatever the problem is is his fault. "Perhaps you should ask your grandson as to why this happened. It seems he's the one who chose to bring another girl tonight."

"I don't need to ask Aiden anything. Riley was invited tonight and on the guest list. You, however, were not." Georgia spoke as if she hadn't invited them.

"Of course we were invited." The woman sounds as snobbish as her daughter, who was now standing behind them. Now it makes sense. "Adam made certain our invitation was left at the door waiting for us."

Georgia spins around to her son and gives her son a hard look. "Is that so... well it seems Adam and I have some business to discuss about who we invite to our private functions."

"You have press and every name in football here." Leighton argues with Georgia as Blake steps to his mother's side.

"Yes, as I said it's a close knit family group tonight. Just family and close friends." Georgia rebuffed her comment as if these get togethers happen all the time. "Being as Aiden hasn't brought you that would remove you and your family from the invitation list. My son seems to have forgotten about that little detail."

"And I assume your son also forgot to mention about Greer Inc acquiring Drake Construction." The man smugly said getting a quick inhale from Emma and Chelsea.

Georgia's eyes turned into green lasers as she zeroed in on her son. The anger reddened her cheeks and her chest rose and fell quickly. Her body giving away just how upset this is really making her.

"Ma, relax. Let me handle this." Blake spoke quietly to his mom. "Aiden get your grandma out of here please."

I held onto Georgia when I saw her struggling. She was more upset, more worked up than she's let her family know. I guided her away from the table with Aiden on the other side her only it was harder on Georgia than we knew.

When Georgia went down, I went with her to the floor. I could hear screams for help, chairs being knocked over as people rushed around us. I stayed on the floor with Georgia holding her head in my lap and I stroked her cheek looking down into her eyes.

"Please stay with me, Georgia. They're getting help for you. Just stay with me." I pleaded with her.

A blonde came over and knelt next to taking Georgia's hand and nodding to her. "She's not going anywhere. Are you Georgia? You're too sassy and have way too much fight in you to go anywhere."

I watched as the woman calmly took Georgia's blood pressure, monitored her pulse and looked into her eyes. She made mental notes to herself as she worked when a man came over to us. I listened to them as they spoke quietly.

"Grace, the ambulance is on the way. How is she?" The man knelt next to her. I'm afraid to look away from Georgia to see who it is.

"BP is higher than I'd like. Her pulse is strong but her eyes are dilated. I want a brain CT done as soon as we get to the hospital, Jake." She said before I felt a hand touch my back. "Riley, we've got her honey. Aiden, take Riley will you. Get her out of here."

Hands lifted Georgia from my lap while other hands helped me to my feet. Aiden's arm wrapped around me and suddenly I was in tears. "I want to go to the hospital. Georgia has been so amazing to me. Please, I'd like to be there for her."

"Of course you can." Hunter came over with Wyatt to join us. "Family sticks together."

There's a lot of chaos getting Georgia out to the ambulance. Grace and Jake were with her, climbing in as Blake and Matt got cars ready for the family. Jim was being taken to the hospital with Emma and Blake while Matt and Chelsea arranged for the rest of the family.

Aiden didn't say much from the moment he got to me to the point of getting to the hospital. He seems to be in a bit of a daze. I don't know what happened to cause all this tonight but I know none of us aren't shaken by it.

"I never thought I'd see Grandma in the hospital." Sawyer whispered across from us staring at the tile floor.

"Ma has always been the strongest person I've ever known. She's never even been sick as far as I can remember." Blake states to one in particular.

"She's going to get through this, Blake. Georgia has a will of steel. You know that." Emma tries to assure her husband and wraps her arms around Hunter to comfort her. This isn't easy for anyone.

Aiden stays quiet as if he is trying to figure out how to fix the situation. I see the frown on his face when his parents come in but he doesn't budge to go to them. I don't understand what happened between them but something tells me that it has something to do with me being there with Aiden tonight.

I offer Blake and Emma to get them coffee and standing up Aiden seems confused about what I'm doing. "I don't sit still waiting well. I'll get drinks for everyone and see if I can get anyone to come out to talk to the family. I can make phone calls if you need to let anyone know what's going on or if I'm in the way I can get a ride home."

"I don't want you to leave." He whispered softly and I think it might just break him to lose his grandmother. I know how I would feel if it were me.

"Then I'll be back in a minute." Leaning down I kiss the top of his head and his arms wraps around me to hug me tight. "I'm just going to the vending machine. I'll be just a minute."

Walking down the hall I head to where the elevator is and find the vending machines. As I wait for the first cup of coffee to brew, I see Adam coming down the hall towards me. There's nowhere I can go to disappear and I'm in the middle of a coffee run. So I do the next best thing and ignore him.

"I'm surprised Aiden brought you tonight. It's really poor taste to come here after all that happened at the party. You do know he's going to marry Leighton." He informs me, almost causing me to burn my hand on the coffee.

My eyes dart up to his cold ones and I don't see anything about him that reminds me of Aiden. Nothing at all. I won't let him tell me what I know is a lie. "Aiden asked me to come tonight and to be here for him."

"I'm sure he did. Just like I know you're a nice girl and you have a nice father. It's just Aiden's life has been planned out for him. He's a Bradford and he's expected to live a certain kind of lifestyle with a certain kind of woman." The tone in his voice makes it all too clear. I'm not what he deems worthy of his son.

I know billionaires run in their own circles and I doubt that anyone like me ever gets so much as a foot in the door without being called a gold digger. I know who I am and I know what I am. I know I'm not a gold digger.

"I understand your concern for Aiden and I'm sure you have your reasons to want me gone. Just like I can assure you that I won't let Aiden even pay for a movie for me. I'm not after his money or yours." I give him a smile thinking that is all this argument is over and now we can focus on Georgia.

"I don't know how you can say that when my family has been paying for your schooling and this latest little check for no apparent reason tells me you're definitely lying." He holds up a copy of a check made out to me for ten thousand dollars. A check I've never gotten and know nothing about.  "Now, before I ask for security to escort you out of here I'm going to tell you one more time. Stay away from my son."

I don't know what to do. I've never been accused of being involved with someone for their money before. I thought his parents liked me. I really didn't see this coming. Passing the coffee to Aiden's dad I walk down the hall and look towards the waiting room where I can see Aiden with his head in his hands. Looking back over my shoulder I see his dad still watching me and I have to make a decision.

Do I leave here and stay away from Aiden or do I run down that hall and hope Aiden believes me when I tell him what his dad's trying to do?

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

568K 24.4K 106
We're not in love. Our past is a dumpster fire. The best we are is friends with benefits... without the friends' part. Jake Harrison, USC's star quar...
2.2M 52.7K 39
[COMPLETE!] "My best friend's brother grew up. Hot." Alexis is months from finishing college and starting a fashion label in New York. Years of plann...
4.6M 95.7K 77
COMPLETED Penn State University. Home to the craziest sorority girls, most obnoxious football players, and a possible Vice President's son. Sloane Be...
134K 10.5K 64
✬ 𝕋𝕙𝕖 π”»π•’π•£π•œ οΌ† π•ƒπ•šπ•˜π•™π•₯ π•Šπ•–π•£π•šπ•–π•€ ✬ There is a crucial moment in one's life that determines the outcome of everything; well, as books and m...