guitar picks - semishira angst

By kenneth_the_menace

An injury caused on the court reveals something shocking about setter Shirabu. The other members are broken o... More

intro~ author's note
1~ cracked
2~ don't flatter yourself
3~nice kill
4~all good
5~chance
6~confession
7~dumb insomniac
8~talent show
9~kinda uncomfortable
10~ bitter
11~he's lucky
13~ceremony
14~ copycat
15~ just another step
16~stranger
outro- author's note

12~expected

659 31 25
By kenneth_the_menace

"Wake up. Hey son. We need to go into the hospital," Semi's father said, poking his son awake

"Dad? What's going on?" Semi said, disorientated as he woke up. Couldn't he just have a normal morning?

"Get changed, we need to go to the hospital," he said, his voice sounding tired "Please just get dressed" he said leaving the rom.

Semi had a good idea that he knew what was about to happen.

The drive to the hospital felt uncomfortably quiet, as Semi's dad never knew how to inititae conversation and Semi felt too tense to turn the radio on. So they rode in silence, the occasional curse from Semi's dad's road rage breaking the quietude. 

As they arrived, Semi felt something worse than dread fill him up.

What's the word for when you're waiting to hear a painful truth that's been eating at you for so long?

"Are you Mr. Semi? And you must be Eita. Please, take a seat. I'm sorry, but Ms. Semi passed away in her sleep last night. There was no pulse when we went for a checkup. She made it further than anyone with her situation, a true fighter. She went in peace. I'm so sorry for your loss....

She started talking about paperwork and legalities but Semi just zoned out. He felt the pain deep inside of him, as involuntary tears started to form. He knew it would happen. It didn't feel sudden. He was well aware she was on borrowed time.

He just wished he could borrow a little more. Was that too much to ask? His father pulled him into a hug, and Semi didn't resist. Instead, he let himself go flaccid, his father supporting his entire weight as he collapsed against him. 

"I'm sorry, son." his father said. What else could he have said that would have made sense?

Semi exhaled, pulling away from the hug and calling Tendou and Reon. He explained the situation, knowing he needed them right now. 

They came shortly after, and ran up to Semi who was tapping his foot while he held his head in his hands. 

"I'm sorry, SemiSemi," Tendou said, holding his friend

"Are you...Are you having a funeral for her?" Reon asked

"Yeah, but something simple. We'll probably bury her next to my grandmother, " Semi said, sniffling

"Whatever you need, we're here. Always" Reon said, pulling the other two into a huddle.

***

It had been a week since his mother's passing. Semi had been getting better, finding it easier to leave his house and find motivation again, thanks to his friends and the support he was getting. He'd never thought this much pain in his life could help him find himself getting close to others when he found that sometimes it pushed him away from himself. 

When Semi told Shirabu, it looked like he wanted to make a joke about joining her soon. But he reread the situation made sure he didn't. 

Instead, Shirabu did his best to distract Semi, talking about anything and everything to take his mind off of everything. Semi found himself getting lighter, and smiling more and more, while Shirabu absorbed the angst. It was bittersweet.

He had finally gotten Semi to give him genuine smiles and yet, wouldn't be able to stick around long enough to enjoy them. 

Shirabu had been getting more visits, mostly from people he didn't know, and from girls he had never talked to. Word had gotten around about his illness and so people were doing whatever they could to feel involved in the situation, so he told reception to not allow any visitors.

Except for a few exceptions, of course.

***

"I have katsudon," Semi said, walking into the empty ward.

Almost empty.

"You know me too well" Shirabu said, smiling and sitting up in his bed "Too bad I can't eat any" 

"I'm an idiot," Semi said pinching his nose

"I could've told you that. Don't starve yourself. You can eat it, I don't mind." Shirabu said, genuine in tone and closing his eyes

But Semi didn't feel hungry anymore. He set the bag aside, and looked up at Shirabu instead only to see him staring at him.

"What? I wasn't hungry anyways." Semi said idly

"Tch."

...

"You went to see my mom didn't you?" Shirabu said

"No. I mean- no. What did she say? " Semi said, raising his eyebrow

"You're hilarious." Shirabu said monotonously. "I wanted to thank you. She said you helped her come to terms with her decision or something. You didn't have to do that,"

"Guess I never told her to not tell you. But yeah, I just went to give her some support. I kno-knew what it felt like to deal with someone who didn't want to go through the pain of treatment" Semi said, reminiscing about his mother's obstinate nature.

"Do you like flowers?" Semi asked randomly

"No. I also hate the way wards look when they have a bunch of flowers in them. Especially roses." Shirabu said judgingly, yawning in doing so.

"Wow." Semi said, laughing to himself. He noticed something scrunched up under the hospital pillow, and gestured towards it.

"What's that?" he asked, his interest piqued 

"Nothing," Shirabu said, trying to hide it quickly. But Semi was faster. He straightened it out, but stopped as he saw Shirabu's expression. 

"If you're gonna cry I wont read whatever this is," Semi said, rolling his eyes and handing it back to him

"No, no. I was gonna show you at some point. Read it. But I swear to God if you laugh-

"-alright, chill," Semi said, chuckling softly as he straightened the piece of paper out and cleared his throat before reading out the contents aloud.

"𝟙𝟘 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕖𝕤 𝕗𝕠𝕣 𝕓𝕖𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖 𝕚 𝕝𝕖𝕒𝕧𝕖

· -wants to find a cure for cancer (HAHA :S)

Semi's voice cracked as Shirabu erupted in raspy laughter.

· -want to try paella

· -want to watch all of the marvel movies in one sitting

· -want to learn a new skill of any kind at a good level

· -want to go slow dancing

· -want to dye his hair a stupid colour

· -want to graduate

· -want a relationship

· -want a first kiss

· -want someone to write a song for him and play it in front of the world"

The last one looked more scribbly, like it was a new addition. Semi bit the inside of his lip, as he stifled a noise.

"You asshole I told you not to laugh," Shirabu pouted

"No it's just- this seems pretty cliché coming from a guy who 'hates roses'" Semi laughed 

"Yeah, yeah. I don't actually want them all to come true because that would be an ultimate cliché. I probably want about 3 or maybe 4. But even that would be cliché because then it's the whole 'he never got his happy ending crap-

"-do you ever give yourself a damn migraine? You remind me of my mother, never shutting up about clichés" Semi said, his hand resting on his forehead.

"Shut up," Shirabu said, childishly

"But a relationship? Didn't take you for the kind. And why is it on your bucket list? It's not like you haven't had one before," Semi said massaging his shoulder which was cramping from the uncomfortable hospital seat

A pregnant pause passed

"No way..." Semi said, giggling 

"You're the worst person alive." Shirabu said, hiding under the covers

"Don't hide from this. Come one I was kidding, it just surprised me that's all," Semi said

Shirabu emerged from the covers, a light blush painting his paler face. Semi tried not to notice how he was looking paler day by day, but it was getting harder to ignore something so obvious.

"I meant it's not really the most important one there for me anyways. They aren't meant to be realistic- I dunno really. I never allowed myself to be impractical. It's quite fun I guess" Shirabu said, a blissful expression in his eyes

"Took you this long to realise you don't always have to be an emotionless prick huh?" Semi laughed

"Anddd you ruined it," Shirabu said rolling to the other side closing his eyes

"Hey come on loser. Oi, don't be a baby. Open your eyes" Semi laughed

Shirabu huffed but couldn't hide the smile on his face. He did want to open his eyes, but he was exhausted, As much as he wanted to keep talking to Semi, he just wanted to get some rest now.

"I'll come back tomorrow. You're in for a surprise" Semi said, muttering the last part under his breath

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.7K 2.5K 36
Story based around Semishira: Semi and Shirabu are both actors who met on set. They knew their roles in the adult series would be lovers, but would t...
9.2K 228 9
"Unrequited love is the deadliest emotion," "Yeah, no shit," Some people have better luck with love than others. Shirabu isn't one of them. His unre...
47.9K 3.1K 16
Kageyama and Hinata unexpectedly meet up with Oikawa and Iwazumi. They realize their friendships have uncanny similarities and then the unthinkable h...
24.8K 526 38
Hinata Shoyo is a first-year in highschool preparing for a National volleyball tournament. But he's suspected of hiding things about himself and his...