TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

By lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... More

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 20

7.5K 189 30
By lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 20

Aiden

I've got a real date with Riley at last. Even if the family is with us, it's still a date. I've got her sitting next to me in the car. The music is playing, voices are talking randomly around us about classes, family and sports, we're all glad it's the weekend.

But Riley is quiet.

Taking her hand in mine, I give it a squeeze to get her attention. I know she's had a shitty day and I want to finish the rest of the night better for her. Riley's head leans to my shoulder and I know she needs me especially tonight.

I didn't get a chance to find out if she got the foundation check and didn't want to bring it up in front of the family. Riley didn't mention anything to me so I'm guessing she hasn't gotten it yet. I'm going to make a point of talking to the curator of the foundation tomorrow, just to be sure that Grandma's orders were followed.

Not that anyone doesn't do exactly what she wants but I know when she made the call. I know she wanted it rushed and that was a couple weeks ago. Riley should have gotten the check by now. Something isn't right.

The lot is full but it's a nice night and I don't mind walking with my girl. We park in the far lot and head through the cars. Recognizing a few, I'm guessing that the cheer squad is on a shopping frenzy in the mall, boy do I feel bad for those sales people. Then I see several of the baseball players' cars that won't be good if Mattox is here.

The theater is busy, as usual, for a Friday night. Taking Riley's hand, I lead her into the door and buy tickets for all of us. It's the only sure way I know she won't try to pay her own way. We walk through to the lobby and back to the theater the movie is in and search the filling room to find seats together.

We end up taking three rows of seats to sit, sort of, together. Sawyer, Roan and Colby take the first row of our seats, Harper, Landon and Emery in the second and Riley, Hunter and Wyatt, and I grab the last. We're in the middle of the seats and sandwiched between a ton of people.

The girls agree to save our seats while Harper, Sawyer and I go out to grab snacks. I thought I'd be able to get away with this for Riley too but she quickly dug into her purse and offered up two twenty's immediately to help pay. "Here Aiden, you paid for the tickets. The least I can do is pay for snacks."

"We're on a date, Riley. I want to pay for it." I understand she doesn't want to owe anyone but it's not like that for me. I want to take my girl out, to treat her to a night on the town. I don't expect anything from her out of it. The idea that she's either experienced this or feels this way really bothers me.

"You did. I just want to pay for the popcorn and if you could get me a box of chocolate?" She smiled sheepishly at me. I know it's her weakness.

"Fine, but I'm choosing the candy." Pocketing the money, I go on out with Sawyer and Harper laughing at me.

I feel like an idiot. Like I can't afford to take her out once in a while without her paying for it. It's definitely not the case and I know she knows that. I think she had a bad experience with a guy and that's why this is such an issue for her.

Blake and Grandma have both made a point of reminding me that Riley isn't the kind of girl who's with me for my money or my name. I know that, more at times like this than any. And I know that this is Riley's way of reminding me of the same thing. She doesn't want me to think that way of her. I don't, but it doesn't make this any less frustrating.

Hearing the laughter from the guys as we walk out only makes me cringe. It's an oddity for any of us to have anyone insist on paying their way. In fact, it's usually the opposite and they think we should pay for everything. After all, we are billionaires. I'm not sure any of us would handle this well.

"Shut up, man. She won't let me pay for shit!" I grumble annoyed at the situation.

"You might want to say something to her. If she knows how you feel, she might relax about it." Harper suggests. He's right and I should. It's just not a conversation I want to have in front of the family.

"If I could get five minutes alone with her, I might." I mutter.

We haven't spent much time alone lately and what we have has been spent studying or sleeping. With a little sex mixed in. Definitely not enough for me but I'm glad we're at least in the same bed most nights.

After the whole photo thing, I was worried that she wouldn't trust me. I know plenty of girls around here that would have flipped out over that picture, but Riley didn't. She trusts me and I'm not going to do anything to change that.

I purposely screwed up a lot with Leighton, maybe because I wanted to get off the hook with her. Subconsciously hoping I'd force her to dump me. But no matter what I did, she wouldn't let go of me. Not because she trusted me, let's face it, I made no secret of what I was doing. I mean, even Grandma knew what I was doing. It wasn't exactly a big secret but still she held on. Tight.

That should have been a red flag but I didn't see it

Grandma and Blake said they thought it was about our money and the more I thought about it, the more I had to agree. The red carpet event she constantly wanted me to take her to, the fancy dinners out, the, Ugh, rubbing elbows at art showings and fundraisers. All the stuff people with money are expected to do.

None of that is me

I'm hanging out with family and friends. A game on the TV and a pizza. Playing ball on the family's field at home and a movie night with my girl. Simple, easy and none of it was what Leighton enjoyed. Riley, however, is liking this just fine.

Now I've gotten plenty of warnings from my family and Ben to treat Riley right. I didn't need the warnings though. I don't want to mess this up. I thought I inadvertently had with that picture, but she still trusts me. She believes in me and knows I've got a past.

I just hope it doesn't bite me in the ass

Everything is different than it was with Leighton. She didn't trust me as much as she wanted what came with me. Riley doesn't seem to understand what I come with. The money yeah, but there's the status and red carpet, press coverage and prestige of the Bradford name. I know just how rare, how valuable Riley is. I'm not going to blow it. I'm making sure this relationship goes smoothly without the drama.

Harper gets his order and waits off to the side, while Sawyer goes up to the counter to get his. I'm not paying attention as I wait in line and feel arms wrap around my waist from behind. Small manicured hands stroke up my chest. When I turn to see who's got their hands on me, I know it's not Riley. The red hair and overly sweet perfume gives her away.

"It was so nice of you to set up this little rendezvous for us, I've been wondering when you'd call me back for seconds." Her seductive purr only grated my nerves. "Let's just forget the movie and head to my place."

"What the fuck are you doing?" I growl, pulling her off me. It was like wrestling with an octopus. I swear the chick has eight arms and they're all over me.  "Let go of me!"

"We have a date tonight, remember? I said I'd meet you here." She looks over her shoulder to look at her friends standing against the wall watching us. It's like she's making sure that she's being watched.

"I am on a date... with my GIRLFRIEND!" Making sure to sound out every word clear as day and emphasizing the last, I push her off. A normal person would catch a clue and move on.

Apparently Red isn't a normal person.

"You don't have a girlfriend, silly. You broke up with her for me." A flip of her hair and her hands we're trying for me again.

"Bullshit! I have a girl, and you definitely aren't her." I sidestep around Sawyer and escape her grab.

Going to the counter after pushing her aside, I place my order and pay. Once we've gotten everything, I check back and see the group of girls in a huddle back by the wall. Hoping that she's licking her wounded pride and will leave me alone, I turn back to the guys and we walk down the crowded hall.

Harper, Sawyer and I headed back inside the dark theater, our arms loaded down with drinks and popcorn and I got Riley her favorite Junior Mints tucked in the drink carrier. As we start up the steps, I notice that a herd of girls are behind us. Glancing over my shoulder, I see the cheer squad led by the redhead of my nightmares following us.

"Christ, get a fucking clue already!" I grumble to myself as I find my row and slide into my seat next to Riley. Passing the snacks down to Wyatt and Hunter, I glance back again and the bitch is right behind us. Literally.

Seriously?

Out of all the movies and all the places for her to sit, she has to be right behind us in this one. I can hear the familiar giggling and whispers from the girls and roll my eyes. Screw her, she's not going to ruin my date. We settle in and I wrap my arm around Riley. The lights go down and we snuggle together as the previews begin to play.

"Excuse me, but I can't see the screen when you sit like that." Her grating voice is right between our heads. "It would be much better if you each leaned in the opposite directions." 

The family all heard her and turned around to see the culprit. Rolling my eyes at Sawyer, who was right in front of me, both of us turn to look over my shoulder between Riley and I and see her smiling way too sweetly at me.

I feel Riley start to pull away and tighten my hand on her shoulder. "That's not gonna happen. If you don't like it then sit somewhere else."

Turning back to the screen, Riley slouches down in her seat and I know she's uncomfortable. I was already told about the incident at the diner. I know this chick is purposely trying to upset Riley and piss me off. She seems to think that in some way I'll come running to her or Riley will walk out.

Yeah, that's not happening

Apparently, I didn't make myself clear out in the snack area.  I know I try to be a nice guy and I'm out of practice when it comes to refusing women who fall at my feet. But I swear I brushed the bitch off well enough that she'd get the picture. I know I've ignored her advances for the last few months. I know I've avoided any chances of getting caught alone with her.

What else do I have to do?

"Aiden, baby, can we talk outside a minute?" Her head pops right between me and Riley again. Looking Riley in the eyes, she has the balls to ask her, "You don't mind, right?"

I look at Riley and see her scoot further down in her seat, the others have stopped watching the screen to see what I'm going to do. I see the look on Hunter's face warning me not to go and the curious one on Roan, who isn't too sure what is happening. Slowly I stand up, blocking anyone behind me from seeing the screen but getting the entire theater's attention now.

"I'm here with my family. I'm here with my girl. Lorraine, this is Riley, my girlfriend. Riley, Lorraine is the captain of the cheer team and has it in her head that I should be dating her... but I don't agree. See, I only want one girl, that's you Riley. Lorraine needs to stalk some other poor sucker who wants a leech attached to his dick, because that's not me." I tilt my head humorously seeing the fury blooming in Lorraine's eyes as I completely embarrass her in front of her friends and total strangers.

"You're a dick, Bradford. Now I understand why Leighton dumped you. She said you only wanted a challenge and once you fucked a girl, you lost interest." Her eye's hot with anger and revenge shot to Riley's. "I hope he hasn't fucked you yet. You'll be last week's news soon enough anyway. Why would he want a girl that can't pay for her own college classes without a handout, much less hold down a job. You're just a pity date."

"ENOUGH!" Riley and Hunter both jumped as I bellowed through the theater. I was furious that she would throw Riley's financials in her face. How the fuck did she know Riley is on scholarship anyway? "Enough Lorraine. You can find your entertainment elsewhere."

The benefit of being a Bradford is that security most everywhere knows who we are and are willing to accomodate us by getting rid of whoever is pestering us. At the moment, it's Lorraine. The guy hurried up the darkly lit steps and stood right next to our aisle.

"I'm sorry, Mr Bradford. We'll take care of this. Miss, if you'll come with us please." He was nice to her but didn't look like he wanted to be and took Lorraine and her friends out of the theater to leave us in peace.

I thanked the manager when he came by and turned back to Riley, who had curled into herself in the seat. She wrapped her arms around the popcorn barrel, and her legs tucked up under her. If I didn't know better I'd say she was trying her best to disappear in the seat. Sitting back down and the movie resumed, I took Riley's hand in mine and kissed the back of it. I won't let anyone treat her badly. She doesn't deserve it.

Hunter

I've been thinking about Wyatt's offer all night. It could have some kinks we'll need to work out but it does have merit. We'd get to spend some quality time together without the hassle of dates around us. We'd get out of the never ending harassment from grandma over not having a date at these events and maybe just maybe Wyatt will see me as something more than his friend's sister.

Yes, there will be some backlash from the guys about faking a relationship for the family. It's not like that is completely what we'd be doing. I mean we are friends and we do have stuff in common. We even have somewhat of a relationship even if it is platonic. That doesn't mean it can't grow into more.

"So I've been thinking..." I begin getting his attention away from his phone. "About your offer."

"Offer?" His bewildered look tells me he's not listening or remembering his own suggestion.

"To go to the family events together." I remind him trying to not get too annoyed with him. Aiden did have a fight with the queen bitch herself earlier. Not that I blame him, especially since I had my own run in with her earlier.

That alone was distracting.

"Oh yeah, yeah you're interested then?" His face lights up and there's a sweet boyish charm to his face.

"Maybe, but we'd need to have a backstory on how we got together and we have to agree what we will do in front of the family." I know I have to set boundaries with most guys. If not, I'll get groped and he'd get his balls knocked into his throat.

"Details, got it. But we gotta do something, Hunter. I mean if we don't make it look real you know they won't believe it." Wyatt reasons.

I know what he means but I have to be sure it's not anything that will get my heart broken. I have to protect my heart. I like Wyatt. I've liked him since we were kids. The guy's just made sure to give me such a hard time about it that I learned to hide my feelings from everyone. I was told over and over that he didn't feel the same. So the wall went up.

I'm not going to let anyone say I told you so when he finds someone he really wants to date. It'll be bad enough when I have to pretend it's all good in front of the family. When I have to be nice to his latest flame. I can handle as long as there's a line we don't cross.

"Right... well we can hold hands and sit together." I begin. Platonic and simple no one will give us crap for it.

"Kissing. I have to be able to kiss you without you kicking my ass. Georgia will see right through this otherwise." I really hate that he's right. Grandma would see the truth before anyone else.

"Fine." I agree, believing I can handle it. A kiss on the cheek or forehead is no big deal.

"Not on the cheek, Hunter. On the lips, it's gotta look real and you can't act like you don't like it. You have to look like you're used to it. You gotta be comfortable with my hands on you." Wyatt scoots closer, tucking my hair behind my ear. Leaning in closer and closer still, his lips pucker up, his eyes stay locked on mine and I realize what he's about to do.

Jerking back my eyes wide and wondering just what he was doing. Wyatt frowns, raising his eyebrows and pursing his lips. "See, you can't do that. If we're gonna pull this off next week we have to practice. We have to get comfortable with each other."

"I am comfortable with you!" I protest but know he has a point. It has to be believable. "Fine again then." I'll kiss him, one he won't forget too.

We try again leaning into each other and a breath away from our first kiss, Sawyer plops down on the sofa next to us and groans. "I need a date. Hunter you got any friends you can set me up with for this thing?"

The moment lost, I glare at my cousin and get up. Smacking Sawyer in the head with a pillow as I head into the kitchen, I hear Wyatt sneer how Sawyer's an asshole. Walking into the kitchen I stop and stare. There are Colby and Landon together in a hot tangled mess. She's sitting on the counter, her arms wrapped around his neck, fingers tugging on his dark hair. Her legs wrapped around his back, ankles crossed keeping him in her grip while Landon's hands streak down her sides to cup her butt.

What the hell!? When did this happen!?

"What are you two doing!?" The outrage spewed out before I could control it.

They didn't so much as stop but end the heavy make out session and look over at me like this was normal. "We've got the same agreement you and Wyatt have. Did it look real?"

I could feel my mouth drop open. It looked more than real. I could feel the hot sex vibes coming off them. There's no way I can do that with Wyatt to pretend we're a couple. I'd never come back from that precipice whole.

"Yeah, totally real." I stammered out and lost for why I went into the kitchen in the first place. I went back in and sat in the chair across from the guys. Arms crossed over my chest and struggling to get that image out of my head.

"We're going together too." Emery announced to us. "But Harper and I aren't going to pretend to be a couple."

"Yeah, it's too weird, like kissing my sister or something." Harper added with a laugh since he is my brother. "Plus Grandma is more apt to feel sorry for Em not being able to find a date and glad I was willing to do the good brotherly thing. No offense, Em."

"None taken and I agree. You're just too pitiful to be able to get a decent presentable girl to meet the family." Emery says but doesn't notice the flash of hurt in Harper's eyes.

Harper and I have always been so close, like siblings since Em and I are so close. I know everything about him and still I don't think he realizes what he's feeling right now might be a normal reaction for any guy not named Bradford or Drake. Perhaps it's just a little pain that there might be a girl immune to his charm. Perhaps it's something else but even I can't read him.

"Hunter, we have to make this real to be believable." Wyatt says and my eyes shift to him.

"You want it to be real?" I never thought I'd hear that from him.

"Well, no it just has to look real. But we should practice this week on campus. If we can fool everyone here, we can fool Georgia." He sounds so easy about it.

"Oh! I left my phone in your car, Sawyer." Colby realizes, giving me a perfect excuse to escape the room for a moment to get my thoughts together.

"I'll get it." Jumping at the chance, I grab the keys from Sawyer and rush out of the dorm. My heart pounding, hands sweating, I take the stairs just to give myself more time to think.

Going down to the back lot, I open the back door of the car and bend over to look for the phone. As I search I hear two people talking. I know the voices and I'm stuck here until they pass.

"Roan, you know I did that tonight to make you jealous. I don't want Aiden... I want you." Hearing her lie right to his face.I start to get out and intervene but then Roan speaks.

"Then why sleep with Aiden? You pushed for him every chance you got when he was with Leighton. You knew he only was fucking you because you were convenient and nothing else. I was willing to give you more. I told you that last time." Roan argued with her and stopped me from moving.

What??!

"I just don't think I'm good enough for you, Roan. You're such a good guy and I'm a really bad girl." I think I'm going to be sick. At least I can't see what she's doing while she says this crap.

"I'm not that good, you can ask my dad about that. He thinks I'm a fuck up." I know he and Reese haven't spoken in a couple years but none of us know why. It makes my heart break to hear him talk this way. Family is everything to me.

"I would but I don't think I've met him. Is he going to be here anytime soon." Oh no. No, no, no, that little bitch! I know what she's doing.

"He's gonna be here for this fundraiser gala we have to go to. According to Mrs B I have to bring a date but I don't want to subject anyone to that boring ass shit they do. I'd rather go to a party, get drunk and forget them." Roan sounds so miserable. I feel so bad for him. I don't think any of us knew how miserable he's been here.

"I could be your date." Shit! I knew she'd do this. I start to get out of the car and find my heel stuck in the seatbelt. Sitting down I try to untangle myself. "We can make an appearance for your family then go to that party." Quickly I pull myself loose and stand up.

"Roan! Wyatt is looking for you!" I slam the car door and interrupt the conversation. "He's upstairs. You should go see what he wants."

"Yeah...okay." Roan nods thinking about the bitches offer and heads inside.

I walk straight over to Lorraine and confront her about it. I won't let Roan get hurt more than he is. "Keep your skanky claws away from my family. Roan isn't going to fall for your shit. I'll make sure of it."

"Because you're a big bad Bradford? He can do what he wants with whoever he wants. If he wants to do me... I won't stop him." She grins knowing what will happen if her little plan happens.

Aiden is in charge of the house. He makes sure the guys stay out of trouble and Lorraine is all trouble. Aiden will confront Roan and knowing the temperament of both of them they'll fight over her. Not only will it hurt Roan and his relationship with Aiden but she'll make sure Riley knows that Aiden was fighting over her and make it seem that Aiden wants her not Riley.

"I will. You're just using him to get to Aiden. You know it, I know it. Aiden has his girlfriend, you aren't it." I hold my ground not willing to let her win again.

"I don't want Aiden, not now that he's made me look like a fool. No, I'm gonna make sure he knows what it feels like to be on the other side. I'm going to see him lose everything. Roan is going to help me." Getting into my face, Lorraine makes her threat.

I know she'll try but why would she tell me? That doesn't make sense. She has to know I'll tell the others. She has to know Roan will be convinced that Lorraine is bad news. Why tell me and ruin her plan?

"Everything okay here?" Wyatt saunters over like he's in no hurry at all, just like always.

"Yeah. Fine." I step back and feel Wyatt touch my back. His big firm hand strokes up and down my spine and then he leans in and kisses my forehead.

I freeze. I wasn't expecting this. I'm angry with Lorraine and worried about Roan. I don't need this complication to add to the mix. "Come on sugar. Let's call it a night."

Looking at Lorraine I see the shock on her face too. Wyatt and I have never been lovey dovey. We don't hug like I do with family. We don't use pet names at all. So my surprise must be reflected in her.

"You're together?" Lorraine stutters out the question sounding disgusted with the idea.

"Yeah, we are. Come on babe. Let's hit the sack." Turning me around, he walks me back to the building and doesn't speak until we get into the elevator. "See we have to practice for this to work. Now explain what the bad news bitch is up to and how much damage she's planning on doing to Roan. I have to warn Uncle Reese before she gets her hooks into Roan."

That might just be too late.

Oh this gala is going to have some serious fireworks now

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 52.7K 39
[COMPLETE!] "My best friend's brother grew up. Hot." Alexis is months from finishing college and starting a fashion label in New York. Years of plann...
2M 58.5K 77
Emma's life takes an exciting turn when she moves back to her hometown. Certain circumstances cause her to run into the schools most notorious footba...
150K 2.2K 38
Short small high school romance Riley Smith. A ordinary teenage girl her mother has passed died to cancer. The only thing she has left is her Father...
272K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...