STIGMA

By Eaglewoman20

Salamat was a victim of circumstance and was traumatized as a result of her past. She was willing to give lif... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61

CHAPTER 13

510 100 8
By Eaglewoman20

On Sunday morning, Salamat went back to Nasara and she noticed that the site that was been excavated was already messed up due to the previous day's downpour.

She wondered what the field crew would do considering the damage the rain had caused to their work.

She was glad the whole field was empty. That was the kind of environment she loved. Having the whole field to herself, made her excited and at ease.

Also, the dampness on the rock and the chilly atmosphere made it perfect and she smiled with satisfaction.

'If only life could be this peaceful'.

She sat quietly on the rock, brought out her diary from a small purse, and started scribbling on it with her pen.

Sometimes, I wish the world would go on without me,

At times, I long to be surrounded by friends,

Other times, I wish to be alone.... far away from anyone I know.

Most times, seeing how beautiful nature is, motivates me to keep going,

And in times like this, I feel my wish shouldn't come true.

Only if.......................

"Peace unto you Salamat", she was rudely interrupted by a voice. She raised her head sharply and saw Saleem smiling mischievously as always.

'Why do you keep appearing wherever I go?', she asked within her.

She tried recalling his name all to no avail.

"And unto you too", she replied, looking back at her diary and closing it.

"Where have you been hiding since Friday? I have been looking all around for you", Saleem confessed.

"Why?", she asked rudely, reminding herself that she wasn't ready to make another friend yet.

"Nothing much, just that I like being in the company of very intelligent people", he responded sitting next to her on the rock.

She watched him for a while and quickly looked down when he stared at her. They were silent for a while before she finally spoke up. "Why is the field empty today?"

Saleem replied immediately as if expecting the question. "Sunday mornings are always free but we would all be here later in the evening. I needed to clear my head that's why I decided to take a stroll down here."

Salamat nodded and remained silent.

Saleem broke the silence. "What's bothering you?"

Surprised at the unexpected question, Salamat looked up at him and said "What?"

"Can you tell me what's on your mind?", he asked, in a polite manner.

"It's nothing", she mumbled, looking down and fidgeting with her fingers nervously.

"If it's nothing, why do I see things in your eyes?"

With a baffled look, she asked back sharply, "Things? Like what?"

"I see hurt, betrayal, and disappointment", he remarked.

Salamat's heart tumbled. She was scared he would read through her.

"Will, you now tell me what the problem is?"

"I said it's nothing", she retorted.

"I know it's something because your eyes have said it all", Saleem whispered, expecting a reply.

When he got none, he continued. "Whether you admit it or not, It doesn't matter. What I want you to know is that as humans, we are bound to go through some challenges of life. Those challenges are what make life a reality. Life will knock us down at a point in time but it's left to us to choose whether to get back up or stay in the fall. Whether you choose to get back or not, the deed is already done and that deed is that you have been knocked down. It is a test of time and it will surely pass which is why they say time heals all wounds."

"When it heals, you sometimes forget how it once hurt but the scar will remain. That scar will serve as a reminder and it will bring back painful memories which will continue to linger in your heart. It's then left to you to decide on whether to heal or keep hurting."

"Salamat", he called and stared at her.

"The past is gone, the present is here and the future is to come. You have your past and I have mine. I won't tell you to forget your past because I know how much the past can be used to shape the future. Forgive and let out all the bitterness in your heart so your heart will be free to accommodate a new life and a new journey. Stop dwelling in the past, my dear, because it's quite obvious that is what you are doing. Show the world how strong you have been and how strong you are. I know it's not going to be easy but I want you to try so you can have the peace of mind that you deserve. Even it means crying it out, do it, and be free. Always remember that sweetness they say comes after bitterness, it's time to smile again and be happy. Let go of the past and continue to live your life as normal."

A wave of relief hit him and he smiled, looking down at her. He saw how fearful she was and he grimaced. He was just about to say something when she stood up and the next minute, she was gone.

******

Salamat ran all the way home with tears streaming down her eyes. There was no one in the house. She sat on the floor and cried out her heart. She cried so hard till she started hiccuping.

She finally cleaned her tears but then Saleem's word kept ringing in her head and she burst into tears again.

Blinded by her tears, she found her way to the bathroom and washed herself to pray. She spread her mat on the floor and observed two voluntary prayers.

When she was done, she spread her two palms forward. "Oh My Lord! You are the Almighty, You are my creator and You are merciful. Show me Your mercy and forgive me all my sins, wipe my tears and showed me Your blessings, Your guidance, Your Grace, and Your Protection. Answer my secret prayer Oh Lord! and heal me. Save me from the evils of this world and provide me with the best of behavior. I need joy and happiness in my life and I want to be hurt and sadness to be a thing of the past. Make me strong, forgive me, and make me happy."

After the supplication, she laid down with tears streaming down her eyes and slept off.

******
It was the last day in camp and Saleem was unhappy. He was worried about Salamat and was curious to know how she was faring.

He felt bad for hurting her with his words, even though, they were meant to be words of encouragement and not otherwise.

During free hours and short breaks, he was always roaming the community to see if he could even catch a glimpse of her before their departure. But luck had not been on his side and he felt bad.

'If only I can just see her one more time', he thought to himself.

On Saturday, which was a day to their departure, he left the camp immediately after breakfast in search of her all to no an ail. He got back to the camp around 4 p.m so as not to miss the evening presentation.

After the presentation, there was a bonfire party till dawn and he was unable to sleep a wink throughout the night. He couldn't figure out the cause of his sleeplessness. Whether it was the loud music from the party or the thought of Salamat, his newly made friend, he couldn't say.

On Sunday, which was the day of departure, he sneaked out of the camp after the morning prayers to try his luck again. After searching for an hour and a half, he gave up and went back to the camp to prepare for his journey back home.

The crew left Radda community around 9 a.m and everyone was glad to be leaving except Saleem.

Some of his friends were talking about escaping the terrible mosquitoes and flies when they noticed his mood.

"My guy, don't want to leave Radda? Why are you moody when you are supposed to be overjoyed? If I could remember well, you were always complaining about flies disturbing your sleep in the daytime and mosquitoes disturbing you at night", Faith teased him while the rest of them laughed.

"Nothing, It's just that I am not feeling too good. I didn't sleep well last night and I am beginning to feel feverish."

"Sorry. Don't worry, I am sure you will get better when you get home."

"Yeah, I hope so."

They were all given a week's break from the department and Saleem quickly went straight to the park after their school bus dropped them at the Ahmadu Bello University main gate.

Saleem got to Kano around 2 p.m. He observed his prayer and slept till 4 p.m when his mother came back from her shop.

His sisters who were around when he got home, quickly left to their mother's shop to inform her of her son's arrival. They all knew Saleem was their mother's favorite.

His mother was very happy to see him and she engulfed him in a tight hug. She looked at him closely and told him he wasn't looking fine.

Saleem smiled. He knew his mother was going to figure that out, just by looking at him. That was his mother and Saleem used to ask her how she always figures out what was wrong with him and she used to reply by saying it's a motherly instinct.

"Mum, I think it's iba. The mosquitoes over there were terrible and I forgot to go along with my mosquito net", he explained to her.

"Sorry oko mi, I will go and get you the herbal medicine for malaria later in the evening. By tomorrow, you will feel much better."

"Oh mummy, you know I don't like that concoction, I prefer drugs instead", he complained.

"Iya Baliki's herbal drugs work well and I don't have enough with me now for malaria drugs. You know Emeka's medicine is very expensive If the herbs don't work well, then I will get you the malaria drugs, don't worry."

"Okay, no problem."

"That's my boy, have you eaten?"

"No, I haven't."

"Ah ah... why didn't you tell your sisters to cook something for you."

"They disappeared immediately I arrived and I was too sleepy to think of food but now that you are here, I am more than hungry."

"Okay, let me go and prepare your favorite", his mother said.

Saleem screamed while she laughed.

"I love my mamma, she is the best mother in the whole of the universe", he shouted.

"Hey! Stop shouting, don't be naughty joor", his mother said smiling.

"Don't you wish your mummy was good like mine.....", he sang as she dragged him to the kitchen.

******
So sorry for not updating yesterday.

Don't forget to vote and comment.💓

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 3.1K 31
Saffiya finally met the man of her dreams, though it took longer than any of her sisters but she didn't mind. She's obsessed with finding the right g...
17.7K 2.2K 55
Summayyah was forced to marry the Son of Asraf she knows nothing about just for her father to get promoted. Tried all her possible way to flee with h...
1.8M 40.4K 13
Story of a girl who moved from a small town in Nigeria to the city, Abuja. Relocating to a complete different place, adapting to a new environment, t...
242K 20.5K 38
Through the cruise of love; there tends to be desolations, heartbreaks, and painful detriments. But if there was true ardour; the beholder of the lov...