Healing // d.m.

By genevieveperidot

"She did not need to see life through rose-coloured glasses. Life with him was more beautiful than it can be... More

| 0 |
| 1 |
| 2 |
| 4 |
| 5 |
| 6 |
| 7 |
| 8 |
| 9 |
| 10 |
| 11 |
| 12 |
| 13 |
| 14 |
| 15 |
| 16 |
| 17 |
| 18 |
| 19 |
| 20 |
| 21 |
| 22 |
| 23 |
| 24 |
| 25 |
| 26 |
| 27 |
| 28 |
| 29 |
| 30 |
| 31 |
| 32 |
| 33 |
| 34 |
| 35 |
| 36 |
| 37 |
| 38 |
| 39 |
| 40 |
| 41 |
| 42 |
| 43 |
| 44 |
| 45 |
| 46 |
| 47 |
| 48 |
| 49 |
| 50 |
| 51 |
| 52 |
| 53 |
| 54 |
| 55 |
| 56 |
| 57 |
| 58 |
| 59 |
| 60 |
| 61 |
| 62 |
| 63 |
| 64 |
| 65 |
Bonus Chapter | 1 |
Bonus Chapter | 2 |

| 3 |

4.4K 150 73
By genevieveperidot

  "SO let me get this straight, you went down to get some thestral tears and you came back with Draco Malfoy?" Catherine could hear his voice getting louder with each word as he approached her. They were both standing at the rose garden looking at the horizon. Catherine was already there first, waiting for the sun to set.

  "Consider it a two for one special." She took a sip of her second cup of coffee.

  "The whole hospital is talking about you." He looked at Catherine like she grew another head. "You should have left him."

  "He was hurt badly Greg, I bet you saw him already. He would have-"

  "Yeah I saw him alright. I saw his..." He hesitated, "... his bloody mark too." Greg ran his hands through his hands, trying so hard to read her face. "What were you thinking Cathy?"

  "I wasn't"

  Catherine's eyes focused on the view right in front of her. Any minute now, she thought. She could already see the sky turning a pale tint of red. The sun illuminates the world like a golden ball of butterscotch. She remembered how she would draw the trees first, then the sky, followed by the sun. She would prop up the canvas on their balcony and paint until the sky turned black. Catherine never got tired watching her paint her wonders.

  'If you happen to miss me, one day, just look at the sun when it rises and sets. That's when I'll be giving you my warmest smile. So don't forget to smile back my cherry.'

  "Pye is furious at you. I told him Smethwyck was the one who admitted him, but he knew it was your doing." Greg gave her a sorry smile. Catherine already faced Pye's wrath. If looks could kill, Pye would have stabbed her twice and slit her throat for good measure. Pye made sure Catherine has the night shift for the whole week. He made it clear to everyone that he wouldn't touch Malfoy, not that Catherine cared. She was already planning to stay every night until Malfoy was sent home anyway.

  "Pye could kiss my ass." Catherine replied coldly. "What about you? Are you going to avoid him like a plague like the rest of them?"

  Greg looked at her like he was deliberating to tell the truth or lie. He sighed loudly and shook his head. "I just don't want you getting hurt. Gabby wouldn't want that either."

  "How is healing someone going to hurt me?"

  "We just worry about you."

  "Then don't." Catherine didn't mean to sound harsh, but she really didn't want to talk about Malfoy, or Pye or about anything really. She really wasn't up for company at all. Greg took the hint and shook his head.

  Greg took the empty paper cup from her hands that was absent-mindedly fisted into a small ball. "I finished my shift, I'm taking Grey home."

  Catherine's head whipped to look at him. She felt the guilt in her gut, she promised to visit him and Gavina. She started to open her mouth but Greg held his hand up.

  "It's okay Cathy. I'll tell Gabby you'll be having dinner with us sometime next week." He puts a hand on her shoulder. "Give yourself time for grief today. You need it."

  Catherine could feel his voice fading away as he began to make his way back inside.

  "You need to let someone worry about you too Cathy." Greg shouted, giving her one last smile and closing the door behind him.

  Then it happened. The sun began to dip into the trees, it's rays starting to soften.The sky now a mixture of eternal yellow-brown. She could hear the birds squawking in a distance. When the golden ball disappeared, the hues of blazing orange shifted into a much more heavenly pink and purple. Only a minute has passed by, but she already missed its glorious conflagration. The last gasp of beauty before the death of the day.

  Catherine looked around to make sure no one was there. That no one was to see her.

  A sudden gust of wind blew softly on her face. She closed her eyes and let a tear roll down her cheek.

  As best she could, she smiled back.

  'Don't forget to smile back my cherry.' Her voice echoed.

  "I did." she replied "I did Mama."

  Then she let the dam burst. Her legs started to shake so bad she crouched down and hugged her knees. She screamed hoping it could reach the heavens. She screamed for her to come back. For her to just stay a little while. Maybe if she was loud enough, she would get a reply. She never did.

  It was the only day of the year she allowed herself to break. With no witnesses.

  But unbeknown to her, Draco Malfoy was watching through the first floor window.

------

  "You need to eat." Ariendra insisted again. It has been four days since his arrival and Draco has been cleared to eat since yesterday. He's doing much better but the bruising in his lungs was still a worry. Professor Smethwyck decided he'll be staying for a week longer, until his breathing was back to normal.

  "I don't feel like eating."

  Draco stared at the tray of food placed in front of him. He really didn't have an appetite, and eating was more of a chore to him these past few years. He stared at the vial hanging by the side of his bed, the purple murky liquid slowly dripping to the tube connected to his right arm. No one wanted to touch the left.

  No one wanted to see him and everyone cursed his name like someone forced poison to their mouths. Granted if he could change his last name, he would've done it once he knew his father was a Death Eater.

  He was used to this. The resentment from strangers, the side-eyes given to him and the foul remarks. He couldn't even leave the Manor this past few years. Granted, he used to be the one doing the bullying, however he didn't expect things to go this badly. He learnt to accept that he did deserve this. Maybe the world needs someone to blame to make things easier, and being the target of blame is the least a Malfoy could do.

  "You need the energy." She pointed at what seems to be a disgusting pile of mashed pumpkin and a disgusting slime of pea soup. "Eat."

  He looked at Ariendra's finger and up to her face. Her black hair is always in a messy high bun, with a few strands of hair escaping at the sides. He noticed her eye bags getting darker each day but her deep mesmerising brown eyes still shine fiercely every time he looked at her.

  Especially now, she's giving him the 'I'm the boss' look.

  She's wearing her maroon night shift gown that made her look smaller than she already is. But still, Draco couldn't help to find her quite attractive. Just a little bit, he reassured himself. He didn't remember much of anything these past few days being here at St. Mungo's. He was put to sleep at the night of the first day, and was very drowsy on the second. The one thing he noticed throughout his stay, is that Ariendra was always there every few hours checking on him; and she was there every night, sleeping on an old wooden chair beside him. He didn't know why she did it. He didn't understand why she was civil to him, even more now when he did not deserve an ounce of respect from anyone.

  When he first saw her at the emergency department, he wasn't quite sure who she was. He remembered those eyes but he wasn't sure. It was when she opened her mouth and said something to him, when she remembered exactly who she was.

  He would never forget the lips that said that to him years ago when he was on a different bed in the hospital wing of Hogwarts. She was just pomfrey's lackey, as everyone called her, or the famously known whisperer of that bloody chicken she looked after so much. But the words she said to him, he never heard of them before.

  'Just don't let it get to you... or you'll end up getting hurt again.'

  Draco knew it was not a big deal to anyone. But somehow he felt like someone cared, or at least cared enough to say something. He didn't know if she meant it that way, but it felt good to hear someone cared for him out loud. It was then he noticed that she was the Hufflepuff sitting beside him at potions. He never really gave her a thought before as he always torments Hufflepuffs and he always forgets his quill.

  After that day, he reminded himself every morning to not bring out his quill in potions class.

   He could never forget the way she healed him gingerly even after his poor choice of words; and it happened again this week. Ariendra healing his injuries, despite him being a total arse. He couldn't help it, it was like his defensive mechanism in life is to be git, and he's being a massive one again right this second.

  "Don't tell me what to do."

  Yeah, he was a stupid bloody git.

  Ariendra sighed and put her hands up. "Well then suit yourself," she mumbled. She walked over to his side and put two fingers on the inside of his wrist, checking his pulse. He was sure it skyrocketed just about now.

  "How are you feeling? Breathing better?"

  "I'm fine." He tried his best to sound strong but the hitch in his breath as he exhaled betrayed him.

  "Lying will just make it worse. If you're in pain I can give you more antidotes to help you breathe." She moves to lightly put her fingers under his chin to inspect his eyes and his gash. Suddenly the air in the room was too thick and it was even harder for him to breathe. He couldn't stand the pressure and swatted her hand away. He was an idiot.

  Unbothered by his actions, she began writing down on the chart. She lifted her wand to refill the vial with a glittering blue liquid.

  "Is that for the pain?" He asked, "I don't want it"

  "And why the hell not?" She was annoyed now, he can tell by the crinkle in her nose.

  "It makes me unaware of my surroundings. What if someone killed me."

  She chuckled, making Draco breathe slightly harder it was now exhausting, "I assure you no one will kill you."

  "You don't know that." He mumbled.

  "They would love to, but trust me they wont."

  Well, that's nice to hear.

  "And why won't they? I'm vulnerable and in a hospital filled with weapons, there are many ways to kill me."

  Ariendra exhales loudly and moves to push the tray of food closer to him. "They won't hurt you Malfoy. I'm always on a look out for you anyways."

  She seemed to be shocked by her words as much as he was. Her eyes went wide and she quickly looked up at the vial that does not need checking.

  "Why do you do that?" He sits up on the bed.

  "Do what?" She was still avoiding his eyes.

  He rolled his eyes, "Why do you look out for me?"

  "Well do you want to die?"

  "That's still up for debate lately."

  She looked straight at him and her pale pink lips pulled into a frown. "Don't say that."

  "Why? You care about me now Ariendra?"

  He thought she would back down, turn around and cover her face. But instead she put her hands on her hips and her eyes stared at him so brightly, urging him on.

  "I care about all my patient's. Would you prefer Healer Pye working on you then? I would love to see him prod you with potions you don't need."

  The corners of his lips slowly tipped up into his signature smirk. "Do you sleep at all of your patient's bedside for four nights in a row or just me?"

  Ariendra's face went beet red, and Draco knew he managed to break a piece of her tough exterior. She was still looking at him, with her mouth agape, and her brains trying to function but failing her.

  "So?" He coaxed her even more. "Cat got your tongue?"

  He didn't know where this surge of confidence came from. "What happened to you." Theo once said. "I want my friend back. Not his shell." Theo told him once that his light was put out and he needed someone to light it back on. Draco was drunk at the time so he didn't really care much for his words. He never cared much for anyone ever since the war. Now, he was starting to understand. Catherine Ariendra did so much for him in the past four days, whether she realised it or not.

  She finally lost their staring contest. She pushed the food tray to him until it hit his chest.

  "Just eat." She said with her teeth clenched and left.

  However much to his sorrow, she didn't sleep by his bedside that night.

------

  Catherine twirled her wand in her hand, trying her best not to let the ruby crystal stickers that Gavina put on them fall. "A touch of red will make it pretty Aunt Cathy, red makes you brave." She said. It was clear which kid followed after their father.

  She tried her best to concentrate on what Pye was saying, or what Greg was stammering about but her mind was simply elsewhere. Her eyelids weigh a thousand pounds and the pulsating ache at the back of her head is starting to spread to her temples. It's her fifth night on the night shift per Pye's orders. She missed her pet, Smalls, so much and just wanted to cuddle up with him on the bed. Greg had told her to go home, but she knew he was anxious to stay. Nobody wanted to stay. Nobody even wanted to step onto our floor. So she lived off caffeine and sugar.

  And seeing Draco Malfoy at bed one.

  His recovery was much faster then expected. Professor Smethwyck told him that he might be able to go home the day after tomorrow. Catherine diligently checked on him every hour. She made sure he took his antidotes and tried her best to get him to eat, not that he has an appetite.

  Just like a normal healer would, she tried to convince herself.

  She didn't plan on sleeping on the very hard and mouldy wooden chair beside him, but she couldn't help it. The first night he was here, Catherine was checking over his vitals and pulled up an extra blanket to cover his body. He was shivering madly and his forehead creased. His lips quivering like he was scared of something. Catherine thought it was the side effects of the infection or even the antidotes. But then he started to whimper.

  "No... no... NO!" His voice got louder with each word. "Please My Lord don't kill her please!"

  Catherine put her hands on his shoulder, giving him a gentle shake. She tried to uncurl his body from the position he was in. "Malfoy... wake up. Malfoy!" She called out to him, but it was like he was oblivious to Catherine's presence.

  "NO! Please My Lord no!" He started to thrash his hands up but Catherine caught them and pinned them down. She stroked his hair and whispered in his ear.

  "Malfoy, you're not there. You're here. Safe with me. You're here Malfoy they're not real."

  He slowly started to calm down, his body going limp. His whimpering to a minimum and that was when Catherine noticed his cheeks were wet. He mumbled something that she couldn't hear. She held his wrist for quite some time, until she looked at his deep stable breaths. With the back of her hand, she cleaned his tears savouring the look of his face. Still the same boy she looked at all those years, but much more tired. The creases under his eyes and frown lines are prominent. It's like fear and regret has taken a toll on him. She let go of his hands and sat on the chair. She didn't know why but she didn't want to leave him alone. So she stayed with him through the night.

  "Am I interrupting whatever is brewing at the back of that thick skull of yours Catherine?" Pye's obnoxiously taunting voice summoned Catherine back to reality.

  Catherine cleared her throat and sat up a little straighter. She gave Pye a small shake of her head which he dismissed with a scowl. "Do keep up, or is the murdering death eater keeping you too occupied?"

  Don't kill him. It's not worth it. She tried to calm herself and glared at Pye. She was certainly not scared of him. This was their weekly round of lesson refreshments as Professor Smethwyck told them. It was developed for trainee healers to be tested on several cases they had, and senior healers would teach them anything new. At least Smethwyck did, not Pye. Catherine thinks this was his way to actually learn things, since he wouldn't even know the difference between a hippogriff scratch and a dragon's breath burn.

  "As I was saying... What are the symptoms of a sleeping potion overdose Mr. Flick?"

  Greg scratched his head, "Uhmm... ahh... excessive...sleepiness...sir?" His eyes bore into Catherine's as he mouthed help.

  Catherine sighed, "The patient's heart rate will drop dangerously low. Their breathing will become shallow but almost undetectable. Their bodies tend to go limp and there is a decreased body function in a response to stimulus."

  Pye's eyes pierced daggers. He pointed a finger at her like she was a little child. "I didn't remember asking you Catherine. But since you have decided to open your mouth, then tell me, what is the antidote for it?"

  "The Wiggenweld Potion" She answered confidently. To avoid another one of his stinky eyes she added "Sir".

  Pye barely acknowledged her and began firing questions again.

  "What are the characteristics of it?"

  "It varies. It can either be blue, red, pink or green in colour. But the ones we use here are green ones, if you have noticed sir."

  "What are its effects?"

  "It mostly heals injuries but can also replenish stamina."

  "What does one need to brew this potion?"

  She rolled her eyes, this is first year stuff. "Salamander blood, lionfish spines, flobberworm mucus, honey water and boom berry juice."

  "AHA! You got it wrong! It's rose water not honey" Pye exclaimed like he was proud. "And here I thought you were the intellectual one Catherine."

  Greg made a growling sound and Catherine confidently sat up straighter.

  "Check the book if you must Healer Pye. Honey water is added after the potion turns orange. You stir counterclockwise after adding and it will turn turquoise. It's in a first year potions book if I recall correctly."

  Pye crosses his arms, debating whether to hex Catherine out of this Hospital or leave. He flicked his wand and a potions book came flying to his hand. He scanned the pages with his fingers and suddenly his eyes darkened.

  Catherine was right, she knew she was.

  "And here I thought you were the senior healer, Sir."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Inevitable By MJ

Fanfiction

263K 10.9K 25
After the war, Harry Potter becomes a talented Senior Auror with a penchant for injury in defense of his colleagues. Draco Malfoy leaves the country...
1.5K 50 15
Back at Hogwarts for his eighth year, Draco is offered the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to enter a prestigious potion competition and maybe...
538K 6.4K 68
Draco Malfoy love story. Friendship, smut, love, hate, trauma, broken hearts. MATURE CONTENT! 15+ ~ "You make me feel like I'm stuck, Emelia! Like I'...
9K 237 35
The war is over. This is a time for new beginnings. This is the time for redemption. When Draco Malfoy receives his letter, he knows he has to go bac...