STIGMA

By Eaglewoman20

Salamat was a victim of circumstance and was traumatized as a result of her past. She was willing to give lif... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61

CHAPTER 6

558 123 4
By Eaglewoman20

"Princess, someone is at the gate. Please go and see who it is", Mr. Ade shouted from his room.

He had just finished taking his bath and was getting dressed for the Friday congregational prayer.

Salamat was in the kitchen which was directly opposite the Master bedroom with her mother, cooking lunch.

They had gone to the market immediately after breakfast to get some groceries while Mr. Ade went back to bed.

"Yes daddy", she answered back, coming out of the kitchen with an apron tied above her neck.

Their gateman who was an old Hausa man of 70 years was forced to leave because of old age and poor sight, even though he was still willing to work with the Ademolas. He was greatly compensated and he left for his hometown happily.

Salamat stepped out of the front door and opened the gate after a few steps.

She was shocked to see a distraught-looking Habib at the gate breathing heavily like someone who just did a marathon.

"Habib, how may I help you?", Salamat asked politely.

Habib kept staring at her wondering if she had seen the post or not.

"Can I come in?", Habib requested looking guilty. "We need to talk."

"I'm sorry, you can't and as you can see, I'm busy", she said pointing to her apron.

"......Besides I don't think there's anything for us to talk about."

"Please baby, I didn't do it", he said.

"First of all, don't baby me, and secondly, what didn't you do?", she demanded.

"Did you see any post on Facebook?", he requested of her.

"That did not answer my question", she retorted.

Habib seeing her reaction decided to speak up. "Wunmi I am very sorry for what happened. I did not mean to expose you, please forgive me. I shouldn't have told anyone about it....", he said and continued.

"......After we departed yesterday, I told my twin sister and she swore to tell my friends about it. I decided to be a step ahead of her by telling them myself. I thought they were matured enough to understand. I just saw the post this morning on my way to mum's shop. I sincerely have no idea who did that. Please forgive me."

"It's okay. I shouldn't have told you about it in the first place. My parents warned me but I disobeyed them because I thought you were trustworthy but now I know better. My secret is no longer a secret. The whole world knows about it and I have been stigmatized."

"Stigmatized? What do you mean by that?", he asked with confusion.

"Isn't this what your sister wants? But mind you, a part of me might be lost but I assure you that my dignity is still intact. Thanks for your friendship and have a lovely life", she said in one breath and closed the gate.

She met her dad in the doorway already dressed. "Who was that at the gate?"

"Habib", she replied looking away.

"What? What does he want from you again?", he questioned with a raised brow but Salamat only shrugged.

"Are you ok, dear?", he inquired.

"Yes daddy, I'm absolutely fine."

"Let me go for my prayers, I will be back before you know it. Besides your mum and I have some things to discuss with you later tonight."

"Alright", she said and went inside.

Mrs. Ade was setting the table when she entered. "That was Habib right?", she asked and Salamat nodded.

"I guess he is here to apologize and claiming not responsible for what happened", she continued and Salamat was dumbfounded.

"I guess yes to that too. No problem if you don't want to talk about it. Go and observe your prayers too before eating. I will join you shortly. I'm sure your dad will be back before we are done."

Salamat left the dining room still baffled and wondered how her mum got to know. She took her time to observed her prayers in her room. Afterward, she went straight to the dining room.

Her dad was already sitting at the dining table. Lunch was rice and fish stew with fruit juice which was Salamat's favorite. Her mum also joined them after praying and they had lunch.

After lunch, they all went to the sitting room to relax. Salamat was not a lover of TV series so she hardly watches TV except on weekends when her dad was around to watch the NTA News @9. That was on weekends when he was not too busy.

Salamat and her dad decided to play a scrabble game while her mum watched a program on MTV base. Then they chatted till evening when Salamat went into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

It was already 7 p.m by the time Salamat was done cooking. Dinner was Eba and egusi soup and after dinner, Mr. Ade called his daughter out.

"Salamat, your mum and I made a decision yesternight and we thought it best to let you know about it", her father started looking at her after getting approval from his wife.

Then, he continued, "Also, your mum told me what happened at the market today. You saw some of your schoolmates and neighboring girls who you greeted but refused to answer you. They didn't even greet your mum and that is the height of it." Mr. Ade said, sounding angry.

"When you greeted them what did they do instead of answering?", he asked his daughter.

"They were whispering and giggling", Salamat answered sadly as she was reminded of what happened earlier in the market.

"I was also told that you saw Bimpe, your Islamic school friend."

"Yes, I did."

"What did she do?"

"She shunned me and when I greeted her, she refused to answer me. She didn't greet mum too."

"Ok, that's nice. Your mother and I have decided to move out of here by Monday."

"What!", Salamat exclaimed as she turned to stare at her mother who was silently looking at father and daughter.

"No daddy, you don't have to do that because of me. I don't want you to leave everything behind because of me. I am perfectly ok and I love this place. I don't like the idea", Salamat said.

"Wumi, it's for your good. You need to forget your past and move on with your life. Your future might be at stake if we keep staying here. A new environment will do you a lot of good. It's not about what you think Wumi, it's about what is good for you. We also consulted your therapist and he said it's a good idea." Mrs. Ade said.

"Mum, I thought we've gone past this therapy of a thing. I hate that word and I don't want any form of therapy in my life anymore", Salamat uttered with annoyance.

"Is it because of Habib that you want us to move?", she asked looking at her mum.

"Not because of him but for your own sake", her mum replied. "I am ready to sacrifice my job at your own expense and as for your dad, he is still trying to see if he can move his business. We are doing this for you, Wunmi. You need a new life and you need to move on with your life. Stop dwelling in your past and start living your life as normal.

"Today will always be a memorable day for me because I saw a new side I never knew was in you. I saw how beautiful you look and how radiant you smile. I saw how much hurt you have endured and how patient you have been with your father and me. I saw the sadness and loneliness in your eye and I can see how much you need us. Omowumi mi own ( my dearest Omowumi), give life a chance, give happiness a chance so you can feel the sweetness of life. Don't deny yourself that happiness that I know you so much desire. We love you so much dear and we want the best for you", Mrs. Ade said.

"Princess, your mum has said it all. Think about what we have said and give us a reply by tomorrow. We love you and we will always do no matter what happens", Mr. Ade said and stood up to leave.

Mrs. Ade stood up too and patted her daughter on the shoulder and said to her. "Partner in crime, I hope we will get a positive reply from you tomorrow. Goodnight and sleep well."

"Don't forget to recite your evening supplication", her father reminded her and she nodded with a sad face.

Mr. Ade and his wife strolled out of the sitting room leaving their daughter alone in the sitting room, looking sullen.

**********
This is to make up for not updating yesterday and the day before. Don't forget to vote and comment.💓

Our story is just starting.....😋

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2K 874 28
Yasmine is a star girl, with plans for the future, good grades and a boyfriend to top it up but how can she survive when her enemies are her family...
27.7K 3K 65
A FULANI COUSIN'S LOVE STORY --- "Whether you love me or not that's your problem, whether you want this marriage or not that's your buisness, Halima...
55.2K 3.9K 61
She has been in love with him for as long as she can remember. She was madly head over heels for him. When she was bound to him, things don't go as s...
44.5K 6.9K 42
Being a king-That's power. Being a husband-That's love. Being a friend-That's trust. Muhammed Aleer, the sixth son of a king, fighting for his place...